Poll: Rate The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies
View Results (54 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 9 2014, 3:59pm

Post #1 of 14 (1238 views)
Shortcut
Rate The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies Can't Post

As of right now, only a handful of people on this board has seen it, but that will change very soon. Give your rating here when you've seen it, from a scale of 1-5.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Dec 10 2014, 12:24am

Post #2 of 14 (950 views)
Shortcut
Where 1 is the best or 5 is the best? [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 10 2014, 2:14am

Post #3 of 14 (939 views)
Shortcut
5 is best, 1 is worst // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 10 2014, 2:16am

Post #4 of 14 (956 views)
Shortcut
I just watched the movie. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd rate it 3,8. I would have rated it higher if it wouldn't have gone downhill at Ravenhill, which it did.

But, rounding it up to 4. I definately enjoyed this movie more than DOS.

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 10 2014, 2:33am

Post #5 of 14 (963 views)
Shortcut
Gave it a 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel like it was a 3 that could have been a 4.

syameese
Bree

Dec 13 2014, 4:52am

Post #6 of 14 (878 views)
Shortcut
4 from me [In reply to] Can't Post

It suffers from the same things I see as weaknesses in all The Hobbit movies - a lack of sense of reality that the LOTR movies had combined with a mixed bag in the 3D and Cgi. For me, the whole series has been weaker than they could have been - overall maybe at best a 3 out of 5 for the series.

That said, not expecting anything better in terms of the style PJ has chosen for TH, I really enjoyed BOTFA. Much better pacing than DOS and pretty good resolution of most of the story lines.

Perfect, certainly not but nothing that really took me out of the story (unlike the horizontal pine trees in AUJ and the endless chase in DOS).

imin
Valinor

Dec 13 2014, 10:18pm

Post #7 of 14 (885 views)
Shortcut
2/5 [In reply to] Can't Post

Don't know what to say other than it was less than i expected and it kinda bored me, didn't really move me in anyway, i thought i would be more bothered by the deaths but i wasn't. It was trying so hard to be epic but it just wasn't and the scenes in Dol Guldur were really badly done with some poor acting from otherwise great actors.

For me that is not the hobbit that i know from reading and the changes made have been for the worse. Still as people here say - still have the books and after this film i do mentally have the films completely separated from the books as they differ so much.

I think it is probably the worst of the three films, though DOS is right up there as well - though i actually came out of seeing DOS thinking it was quite good but on when watching it again i couldn't even make it through where as this one i doubt i will bother watching again.

After all my disappointment over AUJ, i actually think that was the best of the three, though obviously they are all below the level of LOTR trilogy.

I am sure it will go on to make about a billion dollars but PJ's adaptation(for many reasons) just isn't for me.

I hope everyone else enjoys it though and if the films inspire more people (especially children) to read the books or any book in general then i would count that as a positive :)

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 14 2014, 6:13pm

Post #8 of 14 (867 views)
Shortcut
Agreed (more or less) [In reply to] Can't Post

BOFTA nailed the Thorin/Bilbo friendship, Jackson got some great work out of his art/design teams and actors, and the actual Battle scenes were staged rather well (it was a series of tactical maneuvers and small engagements, rather than a plodding mess brawl that I'd feared), but even after Three films I had little attachment to most of the Dwarves, and grew increasingly exasperated by Legolas's 'cool' stunts, the resolution of the story was a nice touch, but rather than making me nostalgiastic about LOTR, just left me a little cold.

There is much I like in TH films, but very little I love, and alot I'm indifferent too, much of the additional material has simple bored me, the CGI and fights scenes largely left me cold and I personally have little desire to re-watch any of them in the near future (though I'll watch the EE of DOS and BOTFA evntually...). I certainly respect Jackson for taking on such a huge project at such short notice (in fact he seems to be having a little too much fun...) and I'm glad so many others find more things to enjoy about them, hopefully it will persuade more people to get interested in the source material.

6/10 (for the whole trilogy)

Rather glad Jackson is moving onto other projects to be honest.

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 4:58am

Post #9 of 14 (794 views)
Shortcut
Loved it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Need to see it again! Smile

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Dec 18 2014, 5:22am

Post #10 of 14 (800 views)
Shortcut
It was the best of the three Hobbit movies [In reply to] Can't Post

So I gave it a 3. The others do not rise above a 2. That being said, I own the others on DVD and Blu-Ray and attempt to watch them, but they put me to sleep. I may actually go for a second viewing of BotFA in the theater, which I haven't done since RotK!

demnation
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 10:28am

Post #11 of 14 (759 views)
Shortcut
I hemmed and hawed about it, but I give it a 3 [In reply to] Can't Post

malickfan hit it on the head, I think: much to like but little to love about The Hobbit trilogy in general. I'd say BOFA is on the same level as AUJ, which I'd also give a 3. DOS is a 4, and probably my favorite of the three because it has all my favorite parts from the book. That said, I'd say that there was actually nothing about BOFA that bothered me. I just thought it was a perfectly middle of the road movie and an ok way to kill a few hours.

KingTurgon
Rohan

Dec 21 2014, 5:41pm

Post #12 of 14 (750 views)
Shortcut
I am still struggling to rate this movie [In reply to] Can't Post

On one hand, I loved it. On the other hand, I thought it was way too short and made Legolas's role way too prominent - he should have been switched with Beorn.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 22 2014, 6:13am

Post #13 of 14 (748 views)
Shortcut
Same director, different feel [In reply to] Can't Post

It's odd how PJ could make me want to rewatch the principal battles of LOTR (Helm's Deep and Pelennor) because they were so stirring and emotionally charged, but for BOFA, I'm still trying to piece together "the battle" and even care about it. Was he trying too hard to not repeat himself? I just didn't feel invested in it at all, though I enjoyed it.

Oddly, I found Alfrid to be more of a memorable character in this one movie (not that I like him, but I remember him) than most of the dwarves that I never got attached to.

I gave it a 3, and it's higher than the other two movies for me. Some things worked really well, and the pacing was better. It delivered reasonably well on what it promised. I was amused by one critic complaining that so much of it was about a battle--guess they missed the title on the way in.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 23 2014, 4:27pm

Post #14 of 14 (739 views)
Shortcut
Yeah agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't know whether it was the limited prep time, his lack of affection for the source material (every interview I've seen with Jackson gives the impression he thinks of The Hobbit as merely a lesser prequel to LOTR, not the fantastical stand alone fairytale it should be judged as imo) or simply too much creative freedom, but TH films just don't feel the same as LOTR to me, too much Jackson too little Tolkien, too many callbacks to LOTR, not enough effort into making it stand alone as a story in its own right. Jackson seemed to being have both too much fun, and not enough pressure this time around...

I only watched DOS once, and I'm certainly inclined to think BOTFA is a better film, but for me that isn't really saying much, somewhere in this trilogy a great 4 hour version of The Hobbit sits...

I agree about Alfrid, kinda annoying but rather memorable, it's interesting I actually found it easier to root for Tauriel and Alfrid despite being two non-canon characters (I say this as someone who likes The Hobbit book more than the LOTR book), they were better sketched and more likable than most of the Dwarves.

Perhaps the weirdest thing about this trilogy for me is Thorin, despite him replacing Bilbo as the main character, and being better sketched and more heroic than his book counterpart...I simply didn't care when he bit the dust (Thorin in the book is a greedy git...but's he courteous and amusing, and to my mind a more interesting and likable character than the 'Oh so noble' heroic warrior film version...) so the ending of the BOTFA didn't hit me as hard as it could have. But the version of The Hobbit I had always pictured is probably too unconventional to work as a film...

Don't get me wrong, there's lots I like and I'm glad it was made...but having seen the final results I don't think I would have been too upset if it hadn't

Oh well, at least others enjoyed it.

Unsure

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.