A warning to visitors to NZ. Can't Post

http://www.reddit.com/...er_caught_on_camera/

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 9 2014, 5:24am

Post #2 of 21 (500 views)
Shortcut
It's just one of tose things we don't talk about [In reply to] Can't Post

It kind of ruins our image internationally. I have been lucky mostly and have only had a few minor attacks when I was growing up. I guess it's a reminder we live in a wild country.

Moahunter
Rohan

Dec 9 2014, 5:42am

Post #3 of 21 (483 views)
Shortcut
There is a nesting site very close to where I live. [In reply to] Can't Post

But the council engaged in a big cover-up in the 1950's so now only us locals know about it.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2014, 8:16am

Post #4 of 21 (467 views)
Shortcut
"I certainly wouldn't approach one then, even with a beer." [In reply to] Can't Post

Idiot - it has to be *flat* beer, and in a bowl or tub not a can or bottle, so that the Moa can smell it. When it's distracted, you back off slowly until you're out of sight and *then* make a run for it.

Tsk.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Elarie
Grey Havens

Dec 9 2014, 2:18pm

Post #5 of 21 (428 views)
Shortcut
If you're hiking in the U.S... [In reply to] Can't Post

be sure and pack some Bigfoot repellant:

https://www.facebook.com/...0746/?type=1&theater

Wink

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 9 2014, 2:22pm

Post #6 of 21 (427 views)
Shortcut
We got those in Texas. [In reply to] Can't Post

Mostly up in the panhandle. They can total a truck if you hit them on a highway. Most dangerous at night. Skin makes good leather for boots, though.

"Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a wizard coming down along the road and this wizard that was coming down along the road met a nicens little hobbit named Bilbo Baggins."

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 9 2014, 4:48pm

Post #7 of 21 (429 views)
Shortcut
I thought those were the jackalopes. [In reply to] Can't Post

The antlers on those things can rip the door right off your car.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 9 2014, 4:55pm

Post #8 of 21 (404 views)
Shortcut
Hoopsnakes... [In reply to] Can't Post

...play heck when they roll into your car at highway speeds and puncture your radiator with their tail. I actually saw one once, though it was dark and we'd long passed where Dad was pointing by the time I looked.

"Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a wizard coming down along the road and this wizard that was coming down along the road met a nicens little hobbit named Bilbo Baggins."

Moahunter
Rohan

Dec 9 2014, 5:09pm

Post #9 of 21 (399 views)
Shortcut
Wow!!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't realise they were that big.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 9 2014, 5:40pm

Post #10 of 21 (411 views)
Shortcut
Where I grew up in South Texas, [In reply to] Can't Post

it was the chupacabra you had to watch out for. Shocked

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 9 2014, 5:44pm

Post #11 of 21 (385 views)
Shortcut
I hear their leather makes great wallets. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Dec 9 2014, 5:56pm

Post #12 of 21 (387 views)
Shortcut
Interesting... // [In reply to] Can't Post

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 9 2014, 7:26pm

Post #13 of 21 (405 views)
Shortcut
"14% of Tourists List Wildlife as One Reason for Visit" [In reply to] Can't Post

NZTA and DOC have cooperated on new signage following a spat of near-tragic incidents involving increasing numbers of foreign campers inadvertently pitching tents across moa migration routes. A recent survivor, who fortunately had briefly left his tent in the wee hours of the morning, reported hearing a rumble and feeling the ground shake immediately before the tent was demolished by an adult pair with two juveniles. He said he at first thought it was an earthquake, which he had been warned to expect in New Zealand, only to discover the giant birds, about which he had been unaware.

The new signs have been welcomed by Minister of Tourism, John Key, as a needed step in an increased public awareness campaign. The Minister, seen here with another of our native animals, noted that the increasing popularity of New Zealand as a tourist destination could be directly traced to the size of our wildlife. "Look. As I see it, anything we can do to promote our national assets abroad is a plus for New Zealand."

Tintallë
Gondor

Dec 9 2014, 8:01pm

Post #14 of 21 (397 views)
Shortcut
What IS that last lovely creature, pray tell? [In reply to] Can't Post

Looks like something you do NOT want crawling into your swag!

Morthoron
Gondor

Dec 9 2014, 11:06pm

Post #15 of 21 (381 views)
Shortcut
Living in the Detroit area, I can tell you... [In reply to] Can't Post

It is not the animals, whether real or legendary, you have to concern yourself with.

Please visit my blog...The Dark Elf File...a slighty skewed journal of music and literary comment, fan-fiction and interminable essays.

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 12:15am

Post #16 of 21 (369 views)
Shortcut
On the chance you're not joking... [In reply to] Can't Post

that last creature is a WETA!

I remember them talking about it in the FOTR appendices material/commentary. I think they wanted to use one in that scene in the forest with the Black Rider but it ate the other bug(s).

Or something like that. :-)

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 10 2014, 5:34am

Post #17 of 21 (358 views)
Shortcut
My Grandpa didn't like weta! [In reply to] Can't Post

They would sometimes run up his trousers when he was out in the garden.
He would come running inside, hopping back and forth and calling out for my Granny to help him get the weta out!
We don't get them where I live unfortunately. I wish we did.

xMb
The Shire

Dec 11 2014, 5:20pm

Post #18 of 21 (333 views)
Shortcut
I'm so lost [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a man in a costume, right? Crazy

hahaha

Eruonen
Half-elven

Dec 11 2014, 7:21pm

Post #19 of 21 (306 views)
Shortcut
Funny, extinct bird attack. I think I saw a mammoth in a cornfield. [In reply to] Can't Post

Moahunter
Rohan

Dec 12 2014, 11:22pm

Post #20 of 21 (320 views)
Shortcut
Newspaper report. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/...wspaper%2Breport.jpg

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 14 2014, 7:28am

Post #21 of 21 (316 views)
Shortcut
David Attenborough and the Moa [In reply to] Can't Post

Tonight New Zealand TVOne showed David Attenborough's Natural History: tour of the London Natural History Museum. http://nhm.ac.uk/...gh-sky-3d/index.html It focused on extinct animals, and the first 10 minutes included a computer animation of the spectacular moa. Folks in New Zealand can probably watch it on demand later at http://tvnz.co.nz/video.

The moa extinct?! Balderdash!
We have photos!
Y'all come!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.