AUJ

Storm clouds

Dwarewien
Rohan

Dec 6 2014, 10:53pm

Post #27 of 45 (412 views)
Shortcut
I'm 42... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I prefer the Hobbit to LotR (mostly because of Thorin/Armitage, but I think most of you could figure that out by now). Here's my order (by individual trilogies, since I'm not sure how I'd rank them as a whole):

The Hobbit:

DoS (I could live on this movie, and since I'm no book purist, I don't mind the changes)
BoFA? (not sure where I'll rank this one, but I doubt I'll like it better than DoS, for obvious reasons)
AUJ

LotR:

TT (I always seem to like the middle one the best, probably because nothing bad happens to my favorite character in this particular trilogy)
RotK
FotR

Just because both AUJ and FotR are last doesn't mean that I hate them, I just don't know where else to put them, since there's things I like (and dislike) about all six movies. But if I were to rank which final movie I liked the best out of the two trilogies, it will probably be RotK, since it's a lot less emotional than the upcoming BoFA.Unsure

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 7 2014, 1:39am

Post #28 of 45 (400 views)
Shortcut
You know of course you are eligible [In reply to] Can't Post

to join Old Codgermoot.. SmileTongue

A small faction of fogies.
We need all the help we can get. Shocked

Old Codgers photo Oldcodgers.jpg

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
But, sneaking off in daylight takes much more cunning.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 7 2014, 4:33am

Post #29 of 45 (401 views)
Shortcut
Age 40. [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw the Rankin-Bass movies as a young child but didn't remember much of them. I found and read The Hobbit and LOTR in one fell swoop at age 14 (and proceeded to re-read them regularly ever since). I like The Hobbit, but I love The Lord of the Rings, and my feelings for the movies reflect my feelings for the books. It's LOTR all the way for me. I always have trouble with rankings and generally avoid them, but I'll give it a try.

1. The Fellowship of the Ring
2. The Return of the King
3. The Two Towers
4. The Desolation of Smaug
5. The Battle of the Five Armies
6. An Unexpected Journey

Silverlode

Want a LOTR Anniversary footer of your own? Get one here!

"Dark is the water of Kheled-zâram, and cold are the springs of Kibil-nâla, and fair were the many-pillared halls of Khazad-dűm in Elder Days before the fall of mighty kings beneath the stone."

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 7 2014, 6:13am

Post #30 of 45 (385 views)
Shortcut
I'm 58 [In reply to] Can't Post

LotR for me. I first read The Hobbit when I was twelve, and enjoyed it, but when I read FotR at age 13, I fell madly in love with Aragorn :-)

I waited 30 years for a live action LotR, and mostly loved the movies, though parts of them were pretty disappointing. I've only seen each of the Hobbit movies once, and may or may not buy the EEs eventually. I kind of lost interest after the wonderful "Good morning" scene.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Dec 7 2014, 6:15am)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 7 2014, 6:16am

Post #31 of 45 (368 views)
Shortcut
LOL! // [In reply to] Can't Post

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Starling
Half-elven

Dec 7 2014, 7:04am

Post #32 of 45 (378 views)
Shortcut
Who is your favourite character? [In reply to] Can't Post

Quote:

TT (I always seem to like the middle one the best, probably because nothing bad happens to my favorite character in this particular trilogy)

dormouse
Half-elven

Dec 7 2014, 8:51am

Post #33 of 45 (372 views)
Shortcut
Count me in too! [In reply to] Can't Post

..getting a bit frayed around the edges, but still in (reasonable) working order Tongue

For me The Hobbit was one of a select group of much-loved and much re-read childhood books. Lord of the Rings was THE book.

As for ranking films, I can't. I love them all. To me they're all one, and I have favourite scenes and less favourite running right through the sequence. In fact, it can sometimes be an effort to remember which film a scene comes from in LotR these days because I've watched them so often.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 7 2014, 12:55pm

Post #34 of 45 (364 views)
Shortcut
I'm 62 [In reply to] Can't Post

Lemmie see...

LotR then Hobbit

FotR
RotK
TT

And Hobbit
DoS
UJ

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 7 2014, 5:39pm

Post #35 of 45 (351 views)
Shortcut
My list [In reply to] Can't Post

1. The Two Towers

2. Return of the King

3. Fellowship of the Ring

4. Desolation of Smaug

5. An Unexpected Journey

DanielLB
Immortal

Dec 7 2014, 5:47pm

Post #36 of 45 (362 views)
Shortcut
25 years old ... [In reply to] Can't Post

In terms of best movies:

LOTR > Hobbit

In terms of best adaptation:

Hobbit > LOTR

Putting that together, all 5 movies are pretty much equal for me. I would find it difficult to rank them individually. They're all great, and they all have their flaws.

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Dec 7 2014, 8:36pm

Post #37 of 45 (337 views)
Shortcut
Nice! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm 41. my favorite films in order are as follows:

FOTR
TTT
ROTK

DOS
AUJ

All extended versions, thank you very much!

I think the LOTR films are superior as well as the film scores for those films. However, I do really like the Hobbit films and their scores as well.

I don't have much use for the theatrical versions except that they seem to have special features and trailers not on the extended editions. That's the only reason why I keep them.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

BlackFox
Half-elven

Dec 7 2014, 11:26pm

Post #38 of 45 (336 views)
Shortcut
A 24-year-old here [In reply to] Can't Post

I prefer LOTR to TH (both the films and the book), but I have a special fondness towards the latter (again, towards both the films as well as the book), as it was AUJ that made me pick up TH, the first book I read from Tolkien; plus it was TH films that led me here. Smile

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 8 2014, 12:55am

Post #39 of 45 (324 views)
Shortcut
29. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm in an odd situation. While I prefer the Lord of the Rings trilogy as films, I actually think The Hobbit is a better adaptation overall (yes, you won't encounter that point of view often, I'm sure). If I had to rank the films of each trilogy:

Fellowship
Return of the King
Two Towers

An Unexpected Journey
Desolation of Smaug
(Haven't seen the third film)

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Dec 8 2014, 2:35pm

Post #40 of 45 (314 views)
Shortcut
25 LotR > The Hobbit [In reply to] Can't Post

1. FotR
2. RotK
3. TTT

4.AUJ
5 - 10ish. The animated and audio versions
10. DoS
11. That terrible animated short from 1966
12. BoFA Tongue

Donry
Tol Eressea

Dec 8 2014, 10:20pm

Post #41 of 45 (299 views)
Shortcut
40 [In reply to] Can't Post

I read the books first, The Hobbit and LOTR in the early 80's....Prefer the LOTR movies better....and for pretty much the same reasons Elizabeth mentions...My favourite book is The Hobbit because it was the first one for me..... doesn't mean it is a 'better' book though right? And I completely agree that the EE's are much, much better.

What's the matter, James? No glib remark? No pithy comeback?"

Twitter - @DonryFetor
FB - https://www.facebook.com/donryfetortheouthouse
Instagram - donryfetor
Blog - donryfetorsouthouse.wordpress.com

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 9 2014, 3:21am

Post #42 of 45 (301 views)
Shortcut
I'm 24. [In reply to] Can't Post

LOTR = Hobbit

I would definitely say that LOTR is the better trilogy, but Hobbit is more interesting to watch repeatedly. Maybe that's because it's newer, or the movies are slightly shorter, but I think I've seen the Hobbit movies more.

So I'm split on them, I like them both more than the other for different criteria.

Ettelewen
Rohan

Dec 9 2014, 5:24pm

Post #43 of 45 (289 views)
Shortcut
Joining the team [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely agree, Elizabeth.

I'm 53, first read The Lord of the Rings in the mid-1970s and was floored. I've re-read it countless times since and gain something new from it with each read - due to my life experiences I'm sure. It is timeless.

I don't recall exactly when I first read The Hobbit but it's never had the impact for me as LOTR does.

The Rankin-Bass and Bakshi films nearly destroyed any hope I had that the legends could be told on film, and I didn't see The Fellowship of the Ring in theaters as I couldn't imagine Jackson's version could be any better. I bought a copy on VHS for my husband as he'll watch nearly anything. Unbelievably I found myself slowly drawn in, and in tears by the end. So wonderful. We were so blown away that we splurged on a wide-screen TV and DVD player to see the movies properly.

As The Hobbit story has never had nearly the attraction for me I have been very pleasantly surprised by The Hobbit movies. They have some of the silliness I found in the book, and some of the gravitas of The Lord of the Rings thrown in.

The LOTR trilogy (Extended Editions) are what I prefer, but am happy to watch The Hobbit films at any time.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 9 2014, 6:00pm

Post #44 of 45 (283 views)
Shortcut
22 [In reply to] Can't Post

Definitely prefer the LOTR films, which I have watched many times (though not for at least a year, possibly two and I don't think I've seen the Theatrical versions in more than Five Years)

Theatrical
Fellowship
ROTK
TT

Extended Editions
Fellowship
TT
ROTK

Hobbit Films:
AUJ EE (I watched AUJ twice at the Cinema, which is unusual for me, and I've seen it once more on the EE)
DOS (I have actually only seen this once, when it first came out at the cinema, I have yet to watch the EE)

I'm nowhere near as fond of the Hobbit films as LOTR, too much baggage and side plots, and too much reliance on CGI for my liking.

I will watch BOTFA at least once at the cinema, but I'll probably wait for the long rumored 'Ultimate Edition Big Box Set' of the two trilogies before I re-watch the film, depending on what content the EE contains.

I actually read The Hobbit after LOTR , whilst I wouldn't exactly say I prefer it, it's generally the book out of the two I re-read more often, so I realize I'm rather biased. It's definitely a much more flawed book, but I find it a more enjoyable read, much of the additional material in the Hobbit trilogy has left me cold, the decision to make the book more 'epic' than the story was designed to be shows to the films detriment imo, I'm yet to be convinced a trilogy was a better idea than the initial dualogy, and I don't think the two trilogies entirely work as a saga.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Dec 10 2014, 11:48am

Post #45 of 45 (304 views)
Shortcut
Codgers Unite!! oooooRAH! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.