Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: TORn Moots & Other Events:
Comic-Con in San Diego?

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 11 2008, 5:17am

Post #1 of 14 (646 views)
Shortcut
Comic-Con in San Diego? Can't Post

I go every year and I see a lot of TORnados there including a few who post on these very boards. I always feel lucky to have gone and would love to see more TORn sibs there. Usually we have informal "hang outs" but if there were enough warm bodies we could have a more formal gathering. I believe the convention is open to letting groups have rooms for gatherings. So, any of you going to be at Comic-Con? Need I tell you that Comic-Con is the biggest geek-fest in the universe? Well, it is.

I have no choice but to believe in free will.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

greendragon
Sr. Staff

Mar 16 2008, 7:51pm

Post #2 of 14 (362 views)
Shortcut
Hoping to be there... [In reply to] Can't Post

That's my current plan, anyway. I know CAhobbit and deej are planning to be there too - and Shuya, I believe? Should be a great time.

'There are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of my fridge...'

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 16 2008, 9:47pm

Post #3 of 14 (374 views)
Shortcut
Let me see.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, I'll be there. This will be my *counts fingers* 7th Comic-con. Wow.

Do not meddle in the affairs of hobbits for we can bite your kneecaps off!

CAhobbit's flickr page

CAhobbit's myspace

deej
Tol Eressea

Mar 17 2008, 1:12pm

Post #4 of 14 (364 views)
Shortcut
I'll be there... [In reply to] Can't Post

along with CA, gd, shuya...I think Joelle is going to be there, too.

labingi_maura
Rivendell

Mar 17 2008, 10:50pm

Post #5 of 14 (377 views)
Shortcut
May be able to attend Saturday... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as a day-trip, by train! I hope so; Comic Con is great, but I don't get to go every year. Sometimes project deadlines interfere with convention-going-fun! But I sure do like the great seminars/appearances, and love watching the Masquerade competition!
I wonder if Warner Bros. will have anything to display/tease us with RE "The Hobbit" this year?
-ML
aka
-Debbie/primmy

"I am in fact a hobbit in all but size." - J.R.R.Tolkien

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Mar 20 2008, 4:42am

Post #6 of 14 (417 views)
Shortcut
I hope . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I may be tied up Saturday with the company that takes me there. I hope that isn't the case but it might be. Hope to see you!

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

Ainu Laire
Tol Eressea

Mar 23 2008, 12:35pm

Post #7 of 14 (391 views)
Shortcut
Yep! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be there all four days this year. I've really regretted missing out on last year, so this year I hope to make up for it.

My LJ
My art site
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
NARF since age 8, when I refused to read the Hobbit because the cover looked boring and icky.

Robin Smallburrow
Bree

Apr 1 2008, 8:56pm

Post #8 of 14 (368 views)
Shortcut
You have a very sensitive style in drawing - [In reply to] Can't Post

It's very good.

Foe
Lorien

Apr 3 2008, 6:23pm

Post #9 of 14 (360 views)
Shortcut
DragonCon begs to differ! [In reply to] Can't Post

As do I. :)

Email Foe!

Foe's LiveJournal!

Foe's Myspace!

YIM, AIM, MSN= foehelm

Joelle
Bree

Apr 22 2008, 6:27am

Post #10 of 14 (414 views)
Shortcut
*Nods* [In reply to] Can't Post

Yup, I'm planning on going for one day again- probably Sunday.

"In the end the shadow is only a small and passing thing; there is light and high beauty forever beyond its reach"- J.R.R Tolkien

TheLonelyIsle.net
Worlds Collide: A Fairy Tale

ringers rock!
Rivendell

Apr 26 2008, 2:43am

Post #11 of 14 (312 views)
Shortcut
ugh [In reply to] Can't Post

Must I google everything for myself? July 23rd thru 27th you say? flights actually aren't that bad.

Ouch. Fell off the planet. What's a girl gotta do to get some magic rope around here?

MrCere
Sr. Staff

Apr 28 2008, 4:12am

Post #12 of 14 (350 views)
Shortcut
Its a good time . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

I am glad it is tempting. Find a roomie quick, it is pretty hard to find a room.

The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie
The cake is a lie

arlisa29

May 22 2008, 2:00pm

Post #13 of 14 (252 views)
Shortcut
Comic Con [In reply to] Can't Post

What is Comic Con like? I am definitely all for all things Tolkien, but I've never been to something like that before and I'm curious what it's like. I live in Southern CA and would love to meet other LOTR fans.

Tamara
Rivendell

Jun 1 2008, 12:52am

Post #14 of 14 (351 views)
Shortcut
Still looking for a hotel... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've had my 4-day pass since late last year, but got locked out of the hotels. I'm on the waiting list, but waiting to hear confirmation until I book my flight. If I can find a place to stay, then I would love to moot with everyone.

For those new to ComicCon, it's MASSIVE,but I personally find it less crowded than DragonCon. It's held in one connected space, so even though there are 100,000 people each day, they are so spread out, that it's still enjoyable. Overall, the programming is more random and widespread than DragonCon (which has programming tracks, themes). Hall H takes most of the crowds, since the studios come down and usually offer free swag of high quality (tees and posters,etc). Because of the short distance to L.A., you tend to get more celebs at the panels(+), but they don't always have autograph sessions(-). The trade section is HUGE and a great way to spend some time, if you can't find programming to enjoy. Evenings are less structured, but 10-6 can be pretty intense. Con food is so-so and pretty pricey. The local area is well policed and you can walk to nearby beaches and shopping safely. Lots of local restaurants for food after con hours.

---Tamara

Being a "Steward of Harvard" is almost as good as being Steward of Gondor, but I'd still like to visit Minas Tirith.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.