Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Narya worn plainly on Gandalf in Dol Guldur, and poster Frodo seems to have been

AinurOlorin
Half-elven

Dec 5 2014, 1:35am

Post #1 of 9 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Narya worn plainly on Gandalf in Dol Guldur, and poster Frodo seems to have been Can't Post

spot on with his description of at least part of that seen. Some apologies may be owed him (not from me though WinkWink I never officially challanged or questioned his report lol). It is worth noting though. Watch the Dol Guldur Clip. The Red Ring is plainly on the Wizard's finger as Galadriel carries him. If I didn't miss it, surely Sauron didn't? One of the Three he desired most under the One... perhaps, whilst Gandalf's will and power held, Narya could not be so easily wrested away.

"Hear me, hounds of Sauron, Gandalf is here! Fly if you value your foul skins, I will shrivel you from tail to snout if you step within this circle!"

"Do not be to eager to deal out death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends."

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 5 2014, 2:47am

Post #2 of 9 (714 views)
Shortcut
Maybe Galadriel gave it to him when she found him almost dead in the cage... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then, Sauron reveals himself, "htree rings...".
She is now scared that Narya is in danger, on such a debilitated being who could not wield it properly, so she hides it (watch the clip) when the Nazgul appear.
I... just don't know...

Osskil
Bree

Dec 5 2014, 3:59am

Post #3 of 9 (662 views)
Shortcut
I think that makes sense, and that... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the 'hiding' of the rings was not a physical hiding-away but rather a magical cloaking or veiling.

Consider how the Elves could hide their true forms or lay them bare as they "are on the other side," as Glorfindel does at the Ford. Consider also how Galadriel could 'see' much of Sauron's thought, but hers were still hidden from him. And consider that, while Frodo saw Galadriel's ring, Sam saw only a star. Yet even Frodo, a ringbearer, seemed not to have been able to see the ring until Galadriel revealed it to him, despite his having been in close proximity to it previously.

Of course, Sauron was the greater in power compared to Frodo, but perhaps a case could be made, with a little movie-universe tweaking and not too much rationalization, that the Rings were hidden by the might, will, and glamoury of the bearer and not by physical distance alone.

Why, then, do we see the Rings? Well, we we see the Nazgul. It seems that the filmmakers grant the audience the inside privilege of seeing what the protagonists see, something the movies have been pretty consistent about (save perhaps the bit in the DOS EE).

Or maybe I'm wrong. Wink

(This post was edited by Osskil on Dec 5 2014, 4:00am)

dubulous
Rohan

Dec 5 2014, 8:59am

Post #4 of 9 (529 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel is also wearing Nenya [In reply to] Can't Post

All three of them are wearing their Rings. Just because we as the audience can see them, though, doesn't necessarily mean they're visible to Sauron.

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 5 2014, 11:03am

Post #5 of 9 (515 views)
Shortcut
It makes me wonder if the prologue I posted a few weeks ago is true... [In reply to] Can't Post

The details of the Dol Guldur plot seem very in-line with the rumoured Sauron prologue that I was told about a few weeks ago. I wonder if they cut the prologue for pacing?

AshNazg
Gondor

Dec 5 2014, 11:28am

Post #6 of 9 (509 views)
Shortcut
Here's the post from Nov 14: [In reply to] Can't Post

http://newboards.theonering.net/...?post=795749;#795749

Elthir
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2014, 11:28am

Post #7 of 9 (485 views)
Shortcut
my ears were ringing [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry... bad pun.

And consider that, while Frodo saw Galadriel's ring, Sam saw only a star. Yet even Frodo, a ringbearer, seemed not to have been able to see the ring until Galadriel revealed it to him, despite his having been in close proximity to it previously.

I also consider the possibility that Sam saw Galadriel's ring -- earlier compared to a star -- but just didn't recognize it as he was still so upset and distracted by his vision (he doesn't seem to have been listening that well, either). As for Frodo, he seems to have noticed Nenya when the rays of the Evening star glanced upon it: "... and a white stone in it twinkled as if the Even-star had come down and rested upon her hand."

And Sam saw a 'star'? Anyway Frodo's noticement (probanly not a word) seems pretty natural to me. And I note that Frodo didn't suddenly see the Ring, but: "Frodo gazed at the ring with awe; for suddenly it seemed to him that he understood."

I'm not sure I would necessarily notice a ring upon anyone's hand, at night; and if I did it could just be a nice piece of jewelry. Of course if you know about the Three and their powers, and realize how great Galadriel is, and now you see her wearing a ring, and you are the bearer of the One...

... whose 'sight' (understanding) has grown keener...

Elthir
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2014, 12:11pm

Post #8 of 9 (454 views)
Shortcut
Or... [In reply to] Can't Post

Or maybe I'm wrong. Wink

... maybe I'm wrong. I mean there are some 'ringing' questions even if only the book is considered.

Sorry again.

(This post was edited by Elthir on Dec 5 2014, 12:12pm)

xxxyyy
Rohan

Dec 5 2014, 2:37pm

Post #9 of 9 (436 views)
Shortcut
Let's hope it is, and that it will be in the EE! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.