So did Dwalin go back to Ered Luin

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 5 2014, 1:28am

Post #1 of 4 (527 views)
Shortcut
So did Dwalin go back to Ered Luin Can't Post

after the Battle of the Five Armies?

I know it's definitely 'fanon' (a common theme amongst fans but not necessarily canon), especially when one ventures onto sites like fanfiction.com. But I could almost swear I didn't see it there, but rather from a more reputable source!

I know he lived to 340 years old, a remarkable age for a dwarf. I read through the appendices at the end of LOTR, and scanned through the index of Tolkien's letters (where Dwalin wasn't mentioned except as part of the whole group).

But I do not have a HOME or HOTH at hand (the books are expensive as a whole, so I have about a dozen ME related books in my wish list that I have yet to acquire... Frown).

So would someone who does have access to the wealth of information beyond my own be able to answer my question as to whether Dwalin returning to Ered Luin after the events of TH is merely fanon, or if it is indeed mentioned somewhere in Tolkien's works at some point?

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2014, 2:01am

Post #2 of 4 (380 views)
Shortcut
No, he did not. [In reply to] Can't Post

In "Fellowship" he is said to be one of 7 of Thorin's company still in Erebor.

Arveldis
Rivendell

Dec 5 2014, 2:15am

Post #3 of 4 (389 views)
Shortcut
As the poster above says, [In reply to] Can't Post

Dwalin did stay in Erebor.

From Tolkien Gateway:

Dwalin was one of seven of the ten Dwarves of Thorin's company who were still living in Erebor when Frodo came to Rivendell, as reported by Glóin.

But, in Lord of the Rings Online, Dwalin is represented as the "leader" of Thorin's Halls in Ered Luin. Now, since this is a game, it should probably be taken with a huge lump of salt. It's possible that he could have moved to Thorin's Halls later on, but I don't see why he would need to. There weren't likely to be many Dwarves left there after Erebor was reclaimed, and the ones that were there probably just elected a leader from among themselves, rather than request one dwarf to hike back across Middle-earth so they could have a leader.

Of course, if this is for your fanfic, you could just put Dwalin where you want to. I doubt you would get too many people screaming about the fact that he's supposed to stay in Erebor. Wink

(This post was edited by Arveldis on Dec 5 2014, 2:20am)

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 5 2014, 2:32am

Post #4 of 4 (438 views)
Shortcut
Ah so that's where I must have heard about it! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks Arveldis! I don't play LOTRO, however I knew that I didn't hear that tidbit on fanfiction.com. That's why I wasn't sure where I heard it from....

I agree with you- I too found it odd, but thought perhaps he went back to Ered Luin much like Balin went to Moria- possibly because he resented Dain ending up on the throne rather than Thorin, or because he was too grieved afterwards.

As for my fic, I plan on leaving Dwalin in Erebor just like in the book Wink No worries there- in fact, considering scenarios, it would make more sense for him to remain rather than leave Smile Except to possibly bring Dis to Erebor (not 100% sure that's gonna end up in there yet, but still).

And I know I would have at least one person a wee bit annoyed, but this same person is bemused that Tolkien screwed up ages and as a result Gloin was apparently wielding his baby rattle at the Battle of Azanulbizar Tongue

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.