The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Lord of The Rings:
The Hobbit connections in LOTR.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 3 2014, 12:25am

Post #1 of 19 (2222 views)
Shortcut
The Hobbit connections in LOTR. Can't Post

Help me list some of the stuff that hint towards what happened in The Hobbit, or how The Hobbit movies change they way we see certain scenes (most obvious example: Balin's tomb, now after we have all watched the 6 movies we know exactly who this lovable dwarf is. Can't wait to watch FOTR after I've watched BOFA to see how I react to that.)

Some I remember:

1. Map of Erebor in Bag End when Gandalf arrives
2. "The incident with the dragon!" conversation
3. Bilbo namedropping Laketown, Lonely Mountain and Mirkwood when talking to Frodo in Rivendell.
4. "Bilbo had a shirt of mithril rings, that Thorin gave him." "That was a kingly gift!" - FOTR EE in Moria

Help me out! And in a few weeks when the majority has watched BOFA, we'll probably figure out more scenes that may have a different meaning after watching all 6 films in order.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Dec 3 2014, 12:56am

Post #2 of 19 (1711 views)
Shortcut
Trolls [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Bilbo telling the hobbit children about the trolls.

2. The Trollshaws with the stone trolls and Sam's line "It's Mr. Bilbo's trolls!"

"When you think of the great Battle of Pelennor, do not forget the Battle of Dale. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador! There might be no Queen in Gondor. We might now only hope to return from the victory here to ruin and ash. But that has been averted -- because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring not far from Bree. A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth."
- Gandalf

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Dec 3 2014, 4:27pm

Post #3 of 19 (1719 views)
Shortcut
FOTR Prologue and more [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkness crept back into the forests of the world. Rumor grew of a shadow in the East, whispers of a nameless fear [..] - Galadriel

In my eyes this is a hint towards the Necromancer incident.

[..] and the Ring of Power perceived. Its time had now come. It abandoned Gollum. But then something happened that the Ring did not intend. It was picked up by the most unlikely creature imaginable. A hobbit, Bilbo Baggins, of the Shire. - Galadriel

The obvious one of course. Bilbo finding the One Ring in Gollums cave. Bilbo Baggins himself is the biggest connection... obviously ;-)

Another obvious one is Gimli "son of Gloin".

Also we've got the tomb of "Balin son of Fundin" in Moria and Ori being the dead body holding the book but that's not mentioned in the films so it doesn't count at this point.

And also the ROTK epilogue with Sam reading the title of Bilbos story "'There and Back again. A Hobbits tale. By Bilbo Baggins' and 'The Lord of the Rings. By Frodo Baggins'". This and the scene at the Grey Havens with Frodo AND Bilbo leaving feels now like a perfect ending for all six films. And we now know why not just Frodo but also Bilbo is allowed to go on "one last adventure".

Not a real connection but worth mentioning: When Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas are surrounded by Eomer and his Rohirrim in TTT, Aragorn introduces Legolas as "from the Woodland Realm". Also I believe Galadriel mentions the "brothers and sisters in the Woodland Realm" when she gives the Galadrim Bow to Legolas in FOTR... but I'm not quite sure.

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

(This post was edited by Lieutenant of Dol Guldur on Dec 3 2014, 4:35pm)

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 3 2014, 4:38pm

Post #4 of 19 (1693 views)
Shortcut
Galadriel quote [In reply to] Can't Post

"My gift for you, Legolas, is a bow of the Galadhrim, worthy of the skill of our woodland kin."

(This post was edited by MatthewJer18 on Dec 3 2014, 4:38pm)

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Dec 3 2014, 4:52pm

Post #5 of 19 (1675 views)
Shortcut
Gimli carries his father's axe [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if this is the kind of connection you're looking for, but Gimli carries his father's axe throughout the LOTR trilogy. And Gimli's helmet and belt mimic two of the armor patterns on Gloin's shoulders. They must be family patterns.

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 4 2014, 3:03am

Post #6 of 19 (1642 views)
Shortcut
One big red and gold thingy. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf's firework dragon at Bilbo's party. Everyone is terrified at first, but Bilbo says, "Nonsense!", and eventually they remember that there are no more dragons and it becomes a source of delight and wonder.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 4 2014, 2:53pm

Post #7 of 19 (1583 views)
Shortcut
I am looking for stuff like that! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not sure if this is the kind of connection you're looking for, but Gimli carries his father's axe throughout the LOTR trilogy.

Thanks!

FrogmortonJustice65
Lorien

Dec 4 2014, 5:48pm

Post #8 of 19 (1643 views)
Shortcut
My personal favorite reference to the Hobbit happens in the EE of ROTK: [In reply to] Can't Post

"FRODO: It’s just a feeling. I don’t think I’ll be coming back.

SAM: Yes you will. Of course you will. That’s just morbid thinking. We’re going there and back again just like Mr Bilbo. You’ll see."

Makes me wish they had kept BOFTA named There and Back Again!

photo cbccab4e-f61e-4be5-aaa1-20e302430c7c.jpg

Bombadil
Half-elven

Dec 4 2014, 6:43pm

Post #9 of 19 (1601 views)
Shortcut
HOW could you guyz, Forget Elrond? [In reply to] Can't Post

& Saruman..?

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

arithmancer
Grey Havens

Dec 5 2014, 1:42am

Post #10 of 19 (1578 views)
Shortcut
Nazgul [In reply to] Can't Post

The DoS scene from the High Fells, and the EE addition of a flashback, tie to Aragorn's explanation of their history to the Hobbits in Bree.

Also Gandalf meeting Thorin in Bree, at the Prancing Pony is a tie.

Nuradar
Rohan

Dec 5 2014, 6:43pm

Post #11 of 19 (1535 views)
Shortcut
Nice call Lieutenant [In reply to] Can't Post

I will forever think of Dol Goldur when I hear this line.

Thank you.

Na Vedui
Rohan

Dec 5 2014, 7:14pm

Post #12 of 19 (1574 views)
Shortcut
Gandalf and Frodo's conversation [In reply to] Can't Post

in Moria, in FOTR, about Bilbo sparing Gollum's life.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 5 2014, 7:57pm

Post #13 of 19 (1530 views)
Shortcut
This is a great one! [In reply to] Can't Post

I totally forgot - very important scene, too.

macfalk
Valinor

Dec 7 2014, 1:23am

Post #14 of 19 (1521 views)
Shortcut
Just thought of another... [In reply to] Can't Post

Haldir greets Legolas son of Thranduil in the extended edition.

Eye's on Guard
Lorien

Dec 7 2014, 3:36am

Post #15 of 19 (1488 views)
Shortcut
Along the same line... [In reply to] Can't Post

Elrond at the Council addressing Gimli as "Gimli, son of Gloin"

"When you think of the great Battle of Pelennor, do not forget the Battle of Dale. Think of what might have been. Dragon-fire and savage swords in Eriador! There might be no Queen in Gondor. We might now only hope to return from the victory here to ruin and ash. But that has been averted -- because I met Thorin Oakenshield one evening on the edge of spring not far from Bree. A chance-meeting, as we say in Middle-earth."
- Gandalf

(This post was edited by Eye's on Guard on Dec 7 2014, 3:37am)

Magpie
Immortal

Dec 7 2014, 4:17am

Post #16 of 19 (1495 views)
Shortcut
cold chicken and pickles [In reply to] Can't Post

from TH Ch. 1:

“Put on a few eggs, there’s a good fellow!” Gandalf called after him, as the hobbit stumped off to the pantries. “And just bring out the cold chicken and pickles!”

from FOTR movie:

You've caught me a bit unprepared, I'm afraid...we've only got cold chicken, bit of pickle, some cheese here...

-----------------------------

After Bilbo has left Bag End in the FOTR movie, Gandalf is pondering on the Ring and muttering to himself. One line he mutters is "Riddles in the Dark" which is a chapter title in TH.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Dec 7 2014, 4:20am)

Lissuin
Valinor

Dec 7 2014, 4:23am

Post #17 of 19 (1503 views)
Shortcut
How the ordinary folk of M-e describe a certain wizard. [In reply to] Can't Post

"Tall fellow, long beard, pointy hat" or something.

AUJ: The man selling vegetables to Bilbo in the hobbit market says it.

FOTR: Butterbur says the same in the Prancing Pony in FOTR.

Danielos
Rohan

Dec 7 2014, 5:44pm

Post #18 of 19 (1496 views)
Shortcut
Some more [In reply to] Can't Post

Frodo to Gollum: "This is Sting! You´ve seen it before! Haven´t you, Gollum?"

Sam to Frodo: "That is just morbid thinking. We will go there and back again. Just like mr. Bilbo!"

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 8 2014, 8:25am

Post #19 of 19 (1503 views)
Shortcut
"Carrot Man" [In reply to] Can't Post

This is a 'reverse reference'. Peter 'reprised'* his cameo character from Fellowship (referred to as "Carrot Man" by himself and Phillipa on the DoS commentary) after his initial DoS cameo was vetoed.

* I put 'reprised' in quotes because, technically, his DoS appearance has to be as an older descendant of the character seen in Fellowship

(This post was edited by DigificWriter on Dec 8 2014, 8:30am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.