The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Economic system in Aman

Nerven
Rivendell

Dec 1 2014, 9:59pm

Post #1 of 6 (513 views)
Shortcut
Economic system in Aman Can't Post

Is is somewhere stated how the elves organize their daily living and if not, what do you think? How they get their food or clothes, who builds their homes, do they trade or have they some kind of valuta. Would the royal families also be part of one "payment sytem" or do you think they have privileges?

By the end of the third age the place would be really crowded so it probabaly doesn´t work to have some farm animals in the shed or a vegetable garden, some organisation would be needed I think.

Well, maybe someone has some insights, I´m in general quite interested how living there is, we know much of living in ME, but hardly something about Aman, are there also workers for example, servants, I know the Valar have some, but the elven royals also? Baker and other people who sell or trade their goods on a market?

SamBerry
The Shire

Dec 4 2014, 8:29pm

Post #2 of 6 (339 views)
Shortcut
Interesting Topic [In reply to] Can't Post

I’m not sure if Tolkien really went into it in any of his writings. In HoMe, I think he mentions that they grow corn (cereal crops) in Aman, in the section about lembas.

As far as who performed the labor, I don’t think it’d really be a big deal. I’ve always pictured Aman as a Garden of Eden of sorts. The elves are either like humans before the Fall, or suffering a different "curse" from their own fall. Either way, I don’t imagine they worked “by the sweat of your brow”, because that was part of Man’s punishment (Genesis 3:19). If work wasn’t a "curse" for the elves, maybe it was a "craft" instead. I can picture the majority of them taking pleasure from their labor, and if there wasn’t a stigma of unpleasantness associated with menial labor (which exists for Man), there would be no loss of status or rank if any of the residents of Aman worked.

Maybe Tolkien explains this somewhere, but I’ve never come across it. Also, because it is almost a “mythological” place by the Fourth Age, people in Middle-earth telling stories about Aman probably didn’t care about the details.

I know that wasn’t very clear and didn’t really answer your question, but those were just my thoughts at the moment. I’d like to hear what others have to say on the topic.

Darkstone
Immortal

Dec 4 2014, 9:02pm

Post #3 of 6 (328 views)
Shortcut
Douglas Adams put it best [In reply to] Can't Post

Far back in the mists of ancient time, in the great and glorious days of the former Galactic Empire, life was wild, rich and largely tax-free. Mighty starships plied their way between exotic suns, seeking adventure and reward among the farthest reaches of Galactic space. In those days spirits were brave, the stakes were high, men were real men, women were real women and small furry creatures from Alpha Centuari were real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri. And all dared to brave unknown terrors, to do mighty deeds, to boldly split infinitives that no man had split before -- and thus was the Empire forged.
Many men of course became extremely rich, but this was perfectly natural and nothing to be ashamed of because no one was really poor -- at least no one worth speaking of.

-Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

"Once upon a time and a very good time it was there was a wizard coming down along the road and this wizard that was coming down along the road met a nicens little hobbit named Bilbo Baggins."

Meneldor
Valinor

Dec 5 2014, 12:05am

Post #4 of 6 (327 views)
Shortcut
Mae govannon, SamBerry! [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks for joining in; you spared me the trouble of typing out the same thoughts.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

CuriousG
Half-elven

Dec 5 2014, 3:34pm

Post #5 of 6 (348 views)
Shortcut
Welcome, SamBerry [In reply to] Can't Post

I like your distinction between work as a burden/curse and as pleasure. Since Elves seem so lofty, it's hard to think of them getting dirty, sweaty, or sunburned like farm laborers do in normal, mannish societies. But if they approached agriculture with their love of all growing things and found delight in planting and harvesting as if they were communing with Yavanna, that elevates the labor to a different plane, doesn't it?

Maciliel
Valinor

Jan 31 2015, 1:48am

Post #6 of 6 (244 views)
Shortcut
i think about those things as well [In reply to] Can't Post

i think about those things as well.

i'm rather of the impression that these details didn't interest tolkien much, and any real examination would sully the golden vision of his eden.

for example, money existed. things were valued more than other things (mithril, gold, jewels, etc.). living beings have to eat.

and elves don't give the impression that they are vegetarians. they certainly hunted. it would be awful to think they hunted for pleasure and wasted any result of the kill.

so, if they ate meat, and if they ate grains.... there must have been death in aman. just not for elves. which tarnishes eden a bit. it doesn't jibe with tolkien's vision, to me.

cheers --

aka. fili orc-enshield
+++++++++++++++++++
the scene, as i understand it, is exceptionally well-written. fili (in sort of a callback to the scene with the eagles), calls out "thorRIIIIIIN!!!" just as he sees the pale orc veer in for the kill. he picks up the severed arm of an orc which is lying on the ground, swings it up in desperation, effectively blocking the pale orc's blow. and thus, forever after, fili is known as "fili orc-enshield."

this earns him deep respect from his hard-to-please uncle. as well as a hug. kili wipes his boots on the pale orc's glory box. -- maciliel telpemairo

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.