Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
I have seen the film! (Spoiler and Non-Spoiler Review)
First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

tsmith675
Gondor

Dec 1 2014, 7:32pm

Post #301 of 324 (5070 views)
Shortcut
     Maybe Dcole is mistaken? [In reply to]  

Do you really know? This is why I've managed to avoid (most) spoilers. You already have an opinion of something you haven't even seen.

DigificWriter
Lorien

Dec 1 2014, 7:35pm

Post #302 of 324 (5056 views)
Shortcut
     Re: Because it's a ludicrous and unnecessary descision [In reply to]  

"Why would a single Dwarf be CGI?"

Any number of reasons. Why, exactly, is this such a travesty to people? As I pointed out, any CGI construct they created would be based on Connolly (unless they did some massive redesigning and replacing in the last two weeks or so), so he'll still be credited as appearing in the film.

jtarkey
Rohan

Dec 1 2014, 7:38pm

Post #303 of 324 (5013 views)
Shortcut
     It's a matter of principle more or less [In reply to]  

I just don't get it. And I'm pretty sure he's not mistaken. We heard rumors of this before, and this seems to confirm it.

"You're love of the halflings leaf has clearly slowed your mind"

^^^ That unnecessary apostrophe and "e" is due to the leaf itself. And this part of the signature was documented quite some time after the effect had worn off.

easterlingchief1
Rivendell

Dec 1 2014, 7:59pm

Post #304 of 324 (4977 views)
Shortcut
     RE: There's just a couple minor things that I need to ask [In reply to]  

Hey Dcole

Thanks for the heads up about the details. Honestly, given the artistic liberties of the previous two films, none of that sounds lied a total deal breaker.

There are just two things I hope you can please clarify. You don't have to spoil with any details, I just want to know if the following happens or not.

Even if Thorin's death is not exactly as it is in the book, is his death scene satisfactory? And is Biblo at his side like in the book? I guess what I'm asking is if there closer to their relationship?

Are there any character moments between Gandalf and Bilbo either before or after the Battle?

Does Bilbo get any closer or final parting words with Balin? They built him up as being the closest in the COmpany to Bilbo (save Bofur), and given his (sorta) role in LOTR, I was wondering if the brienf moment between Biblo and the dwarves included him at all..

Lastly, do the "other" dwarves at least get screen time? Even if they barely get any lines, we get to see them in the actual battle, right?

Thanks again!

adu
Bree

Dec 1 2014, 8:08pm

Post #305 of 324 (4918 views)
Shortcut
     Good questions... [In reply to]  

I have the same sort of ones, also what were your thoughts on the eagles? I'm hoping they don't just pop out at the last minute to change the direction of the battle.

Generally, I'm quite excited to see the film after your comments....changes from the book dont bother me, and I've come to expect OTT battle seqences in these films. As long as the emotional beats land right for 'me', I think I'm in for a very satisfying experience.

Thanks you.

xeia

Dec 1 2014, 8:22pm

Post #306 of 324 (4830 views)
Shortcut
     Question for dCole4 *spoiler* [In reply to]  

Thanks for this thread! I am really looking forward to the movie now, even if there are some things I am not so sure about.

I have two questions - who dies first, Fili or Kili? And does the second one see the first one die?

Many thanks!

Elanor of Rohan
Lorien

Dec 1 2014, 8:37pm

Post #307 of 324 (4757 views)
Shortcut
     So.. [In reply to]  

gory without glory for Thorin's Crown Prince?

I stumbled upon this thread by chance, because I read this major spoiler on tumblr.
It is the worst thing I could have ever imagined. Especially the fact Fili does not die as a hero. Because Tolkien said Kili and Fili died only in passim, but he heavily implies they died heroically.
Is this true or not?
I cannot get over this, but better before.. since it is so bad.

nusilver
Rohan

Dec 1 2014, 8:39pm

Post #308 of 324 (4745 views)
Shortcut
     wooo [In reply to]  

I just got my screening invitation (in NYC) -- I'll be seeing the film in 12/8 (one week from today) and posting my review for a client on the 10th or so. Not a bad last assignment before I go on vacation! Still looking forward to it, even if some of these things Dcole4 has said trouble me.

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Dec 1 2014, 8:40pm

Post #309 of 324 (4841 views)
Shortcut
     Tauriel *spoilers* [In reply to]  

does not die !!! Thanks!!

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Dec 1 2014, 10:21pm)

Cillendor
Lorien

Dec 1 2014, 9:29pm

Post #310 of 324 (4633 views)
Shortcut
     I am having such a hard time believing this. [In reply to]  

I don't want to accuse you of making it up, so I'll have to assume that most of the footage has been saved for the EE. I know that PJ has made some controversial decisions with these films so far, but this is completely over the top. I just can't imagine him doing all of this unless somehow the studio required him to do it.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Dec 1 2014, 9:59pm

Post #311 of 324 (4457 views)
Shortcut
     I agree... [In reply to]  

For a second, I was actually livid when I heard that Dain was turned into a friggin computer Dwarf, the Legolas crap and the fact that Beorn only gets a few seconds of screen-time. But then I just laughed and shook my head. At this point, why should I even be surprised that Jackson makes idiotic decisions?

Like someone else said, thank the heavens PJ won't be doing anymore Tolkien films. Never thought I'd end up saying this after the excellent LotR movies.

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Dec 1 2014, 10:09pm

Post #312 of 324 (4447 views)
Shortcut
     Question for Dcole [In reply to]  

Dcole, two questions if I may:

1) The Hobbit chronicles book mentions a scene is shot in which Elrond casts the morgul blade of the Witch King into his tomb? This did not make the film? It seems so much was cut.
2) What does Saruman do?

Merovech
Bree

Dec 1 2014, 10:11pm

Post #313 of 324 (4442 views)
Shortcut
     That's it then [In reply to]  

CGI Dain (what kind of dystopian future did I wake up in this morning?), Legolas riding bats and getting more screen time than the highly iconic Beorn, Thorin & nephews' moments more about insane action than gritty emotional stuff that LotR was so good at...

I'm not going to spend my hard-earned money to see this. I saw AUJ three times, DoS twice, and was quite happy to pay for that. This? No. I can spend my money elsewhere.

dave_lf
Gondor

Dec 1 2014, 10:27pm

Post #314 of 324 (4398 views)
Shortcut
     Question about ravens [In reply to]  

Film #1 made a big deal about the ravens returning to the Mountain--even all but ending on the subject. But then film #2 seemed to drop the thread completely. Does #3 pick it back up?

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 1 2014, 10:35pm

Post #315 of 324 (4537 views)
Shortcut
     You will still enjoy the film! [In reply to]  

While my review focuses on the negatives of the film, there is LOTS to enjoy. The third act is riddled with disappointments but there is so much to love about the first hour or two of the film. It's just in the last 30-40 minutes that things take a misstep. I guarantee you will find much to love in the first couple acts, including much of the actual battle.

Heck, you may even watch the Legolas stuff, shrug and say "that wasn't so bad"

(This post was edited by Dcole4 on Dec 1 2014, 10:37pm)

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 1 2014, 10:35pm

Post #316 of 324 (4501 views)
Shortcut
     Responding to Dave_If [In reply to]  

Regarding the ravens, I have no comment. :)

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 1 2014, 10:44pm

Post #317 of 324 (4496 views)
Shortcut
     Responding to Elanor of Rohan [In reply to]  

Unfortunately Kili and Fili's deaths are fumbled a bit. Fili's death did not bother me as much as Kili's, simply because his romance with Tauriel seems unfounded and unconvincing. Her mourning scenes (that are one of the very limited scenes post-battle) feel overlong. The elves honestly elbow their way to the forefront at the end of the battle and take up most of the post-battle scenes. They are scenes that feel out of place, extended edition material, worse yet is the fact that they rob a proper conclusion to the company of dwarves we've grown to love. We get an extended 25 minute intro to them in AUJ in Bag End, but PJ can't even give them a half decent send off.

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 1 2014, 10:45pm

Post #318 of 324 (4388 views)
Shortcut
     a report says (SPOILERS) [In reply to]  

Fili is beheaded in front of Thorin. Is that true?

sarahb1863
Rivendell

Dec 1 2014, 10:59pm

Post #319 of 324 (4268 views)
Shortcut
     :-P [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Fili is beheaded in front of Thorin. Is that true?

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 1 2014, 11:02pm

Post #320 of 324 (4417 views)
Shortcut
     Re: Cirashala [In reply to]  

No, Fili is not beheaded, he is impaled and dropped down. Head intact.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Dec 1 2014, 11:05pm

Post #321 of 324 (4330 views)
Shortcut
     Few brief questions [In reply to]  

1) Is Smaug's dialogue mostly "Grr! I'll kill you all!", or does he get in any nice last-minute monologues?

2) Is CGI Dain still recognizable as Billy Connolly?

3) How well is Thorin's descent into madness handled?

4) What is the context of the scene between Dwalin and Balin? Do we get any hints whatsoever about his eventual return to Moria?

Cirashala
Valinor

Dec 1 2014, 11:06pm

Post #322 of 324 (4238 views)
Shortcut
     oh thank goodness! [In reply to]  

I'm not sure if I could have handled that without nearly puking..... Frown

None of the other beheadings have disturbed me, but if it's a dwarf that I almost feel I know and have an emotional connection to the character- yeah, beheading would have made me sick to my stomach!

Thanks for alleviating that fear!

Dcole4
Rohan

Dec 1 2014, 11:08pm

Post #323 of 324 (4493 views)
Shortcut
     response to MatthewJar18 [In reply to]  

1) Smaug is has a bit more than Grr... I will kill you all, but it's not as much as DOS.

2) I think so, but he's very heavy armored and bearded.

3) Very well.

4) No hints, I don't distinctly remember that scene. But there are lots of nice moments for characters like Bilbo, Thorin, Balin, Dwalin, Kili, Bard, Thranduil & Gandalf during the beginning and middle section of the film. Lots of great drama and great dialogue.

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Dec 1 2014, 11:11pm

Post #324 of 324 (4274 views)
Shortcut
     Locking because we have exceeded 300 replies [In reply to]  

The long threads tend to slow down the site, and with all the exciting events, that's the last thing we want to happen!

Dcole4, thank you so much for your thorough review, and your time and attention to all the questions! Please start a new thread if you want, but don't feel like you have to. You've gone above and beyond the call of dutySmile

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.