Not sure
View Results (62 votes)

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 6 2007, 9:52pm

Post #1 of 38 (1591 views)
Shortcut
Immortality Can't Post

If you had the chance to become immortal and you could select one other person to become immortal with you if you wanted to, would you do it? Why or why not?

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 6 2007, 10:32pm

Post #2 of 38 (1130 views)
Shortcut
Absolutely not under any circumstances. [In reply to] Can't Post

There is nothing about this life that is so great that I'd want to keep living it forever. Ugh!

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 6 2007, 10:34pm

Post #3 of 38 (1195 views)
Shortcut
Given eternity, I might learn how to spell [In reply to] Can't Post

Not to corrupt your excellent question but isn't the point of many religions that death has no sting and God grants eternal life?

I have often thought many more things exist that I would love to do and learn about and see and travel to than I can fit in one life. I pick YES!

Morwen
Rohan

Mar 6 2007, 10:50pm

Post #4 of 38 (1131 views)
Shortcut
No [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't want to bind myself forever to the circles of the world. This is a great life, there are many things I would like to do that I probably won't be able to fit in, but I don't want to shut myself out of the next life altogether. If you offered me an extra hundred years, and then the afterlife, I'd take you up on it.

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 6 2007, 10:59pm

Post #5 of 38 (1110 views)
Shortcut
No. [In reply to] Can't Post

Although this life holds many joys, it has a whole lot of sorrow. Give me the afterlife any day. Not saying that I regret having this life, but to go on to infinity doesn't sound very attractive.

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 6 2007, 11:01pm

Post #6 of 38 (1167 views)
Shortcut
Threescore and ten is plenty, thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Or whatever the going rate may be. I don't want to be around to see everyone I know and their children die, the oceans rise, etc.

Though if I could live forever that might see my house paid off, at least.

Greenwood Hobbit
Valinor

Mar 7 2007, 12:41am

Post #7 of 38 (1166 views)
Shortcut
Reminds me of Doctor Who - [In reply to] Can't Post

I remember his slightly manic cheerfulness, and the hollow agony he showed briefly when he acknowledged that no-one could stay with him. *shiver* I voted No. Outliving all you know and love would be an incredibly lonely way to pass the years, even with one other to share them. That would help, but not heal. Every season is new and different, but knowing they will go on after you're gone is more of a comfort than a regret.

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Mar 7 2007, 1:04am

Post #8 of 38 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Yes and No [In reply to] Can't Post

Lossefalme, do you offer immortality as an un-ending state of being, or to live free of death from sickness and aging, yet still be capable of death?

If I had to live life eternal and never be able to experience death, I would not choose to live forever. But if I was given the ability to live life free of sickness and disease, to avoid the infirmities of old age; I would choose that.

Annael
Immortal

Mar 7 2007, 1:52am

Post #9 of 38 (1107 views)
Shortcut
nope [In reply to] Can't Post

Physical existence is the hard part; why perpetuate it?

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 7 2007, 2:10am

Post #10 of 38 (1120 views)
Shortcut
I was thinking of it more in an Elven sense when I thought of the question. [In reply to] Can't Post

I was thinking about Arwen and Aragorn and then about the "gift" of mortality given to the race of Men by Iluvatar and that led me to this poll question.

Aerlinn
Lorien

Mar 7 2007, 4:11am

Post #11 of 38 (1146 views)
Shortcut
I think it really is a gift... [In reply to] Can't Post

At least till we have the not-wrecking-the-planet part down.

With my luck I'd live forever surrouned by the likes of Howard Stern and what's her name - Ann Coulter.

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 7 2007, 5:03am

Post #12 of 38 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Ha ha. That's called Hell. {nt} [In reply to] Can't Post

Noneoftheabove
Lorien

Mar 7 2007, 8:29am

Post #13 of 38 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Then my answer is yes. [In reply to] Can't Post

If only I could go into the West, when all became weary!

Stapper
Lorien

Mar 7 2007, 9:51am

Post #14 of 38 (1108 views)
Shortcut
No, thank you [In reply to] Can't Post

Life's good, but it has to end some day.
Besides, I wouldn't want to see people around me dying while I knew I had to continue living forever more

Elfmei
The Shire

Mar 7 2007, 2:45pm

Post #15 of 38 (1099 views)
Shortcut
Not Sure.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Being immortal is a good thing or bad thing?
This is a question need to be discovered by personal experience.
As the LOTR said, when everyone else left me, I would be all along on the world.
Might want someone else to be with me.

But if I would foreseen the future life would be more and more boring or the life would get harder and harder, I might not want to secrifised the life of my loved ones.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2007, 3:26pm

Post #16 of 38 (1093 views)
Shortcut
I am torn between yes and no... [In reply to] Can't Post

I would love more years with my husband (I don't think 1,000 years would be enough) but how could I leave my children behind.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 7 2007, 4:13pm

Post #17 of 38 (1124 views)
Shortcut
I wouldn't mind the lifespan of a Numenorian. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd like to live longer than the current lifespan of about 80 or so years. I wouldn't want to live forever, though. I think I'd feel like the elves, fading, stretched thin, weary. I think life can be pretty tiresome at times, but I would like to see my grandchildren's grandchildren. Think of all the spoiling I could do as their great-great-granny. Then, when they are good and rotten, I'd lay down and simply pass away, like Elessar.

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 7 2007, 5:37pm

Post #18 of 38 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Nah. [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a lot more to life than just life and I'm looking forward to seeing what it is. To live forever would be like being stuck in a bus station: Everyone else hustling and bustling arriving and departing coming and going from exciting places and there you are stuck in the same surroundings forever and ever. Nah, when my bus comes, I'm on it with a window seat enjoying the scenery.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 7 2007, 5:48pm

Post #19 of 38 (1133 views)
Shortcut
You surprise me [In reply to] Can't Post

Do not the words of Jesus promise immortality and eternal life?

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 7 2007, 6:03pm

Post #20 of 38 (1085 views)
Shortcut
Yep [In reply to] Can't Post

But it's not going to be like this life. Heaven's going to be new and exciting and full of experiences and challenges we can't even imagine.

Idril Celebrindal
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2007, 6:06pm

Post #21 of 38 (1085 views)
Shortcut
A hard question [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of me wants more life, to do and see everything that I won't get a chance to in the time I have.

But I would not want to live forever if it meant that I would have to watch everyone I loved age and die.

SandWitch King
Rohan

Mar 7 2007, 6:20pm

Post #22 of 38 (1087 views)
Shortcut
Gotcha 8) {NT} [In reply to] Can't Post

Cool

elvenhobbit
Rohan

Mar 7 2007, 7:52pm

Post #23 of 38 (1102 views)
Shortcut
hmmm, not sure is my answer because.... [In reply to] Can't Post

In a way yes it would alieviate suffering (grieving) to those left behind but would you actually want to be immortal against the laws of nature (except to the elves of course...minus a couple).

-e_H-

Penthe
Gondor

Mar 7 2007, 11:07pm

Post #24 of 38 (1102 views)
Shortcut
No thanks, not under any circumstances. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do not like to live forever.
Not as an Elf
Not up in heaven.

I do not like imortality.
I like to live quite finitely.

I will not have it all alone.
I will not have it as a stone.
I will not live with everyone.
Alive forever is no fun.

Although if I had more alive time,
I'm sure I could improve this rhyme.

The End

Lossefalme
Gondor

Mar 8 2007, 12:26am

Post #25 of 38 (1063 views)
Shortcut
Lol. Well said! [In reply to] Can't Post

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.