Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Which moment from the books move you the most?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 27 2014, 5:12pm

Post #51 of 66 (930 views)
Shortcut
Yes, thank you! // [In reply to] Can't Post

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

noWizardme
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 8:21pm

Post #52 of 66 (928 views)
Shortcut
I wonder... [In reply to] Can't Post

Those happy black sails remind me of the legend of Aegeus

Upon [Theseus's departure to Crete to kill the Minotaur
] Aegeus told him to put up white sails when returning if he was successful in killing the Minotaur. However, when Theseus returned, he forgot these instructions. When Aegeus saw the black sails coming into Athens, he jumped into the sea and drowned, mistaken in his belief that his son had been slain.[6] Henceforth, this sea was known as the Aegean Sea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...eus_and_the_Minotaur

~~~~~~

"nowimë I am in the West, Furincurunir to the Dwarves (or at least, to their best friend) and by other names in other lands. Mostly they just say 'Oh no it's him - look busy!' "
Or "Hold off! unhand me, grey-beard loon!"

This year LOTR turns 60. The following image is my LOTR 60th anniversary party footer! You can get yours here: http://newboards.theonering.net/...i?post=762154#762154

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 9:28pm

Post #53 of 66 (922 views)
Shortcut
You are absolutely right! [In reply to] Can't Post

Also: I don't personally care for The Hobbit much, but that's not important. What's important is that if YOU care for The Hobbit, that is all that matters. Seriously.

Well said! Smile Still, I cannot help wandering what it is I "see" in my mind's eye about TH that other people don't seem to connect with on the same level, and the other way around with LOTR.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 28 2014, 12:30am

Post #54 of 66 (924 views)
Shortcut
a serious tangent [In reply to] Can't Post

DO people still become all tangential in the RR? For the love of God, I hope so.

Anyhow. Regarding liking a specific Tolkien work much better than others:

I, for instance, do not care AT ALL for the Silmarillion. I bought a first edition (the day it was published). I have read it, I believe, three times (possibly only twice) which means that I purchased the book in 1977 and read it once with consternation (it wasn't LOTR!) and then forced my way through it once again thirty five or so years later for a RR discussion (in the days of yore). And that's it. I don't like it, I can't keep the characters straight, I care nothing at all about the story. AT. ALL. Except in as far as it illuminates LOTR for me. And heck, that's what the appendices are for.

Yet there are some here who love the Sil, and can't understand why I don't.

It doesn't matter. I like LOTR. You like The Hobbit. I can tell you why I prefer LOTR, and you can tell me why you prefer Hobbit and, at the end of the day, I will still like LOTR best and you will like Hobbit best.

I think that is the joy of literature, illustrated there!

Anyhow, for me Hobbit is a Boy's Own Adventure. I don't sense any real danger (I know it's there, I just see it as a plot device) and because it's a book I read in childhood and found inferior to others I was reading at the time (Narnia, especially) I don't even have the nostalgic feeling I have when I re-read Dawn Treader. Which is odd, because I can point out all the flaws in Dawn Treader and still enjoy it, and the only thing I enjoy about Hobbit is the pictures.

:-)

So I haven't been around the RR in awhile, but I'd be interested in what you think others might be missing or "not connecting with" in Hobbit. Maybe I am actually overlooking something, or at least not considering something of merit.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Through any dark time, I always remember Frodo's claim on the side of Mt. Doom that he "can manage it" because he must.
Sometimes, I have to manage it, too, as do we all. We manage because we must.

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 28 2014, 2:18am

Post #55 of 66 (902 views)
Shortcut
Gooseflesh, Brace. Thanks - and excellent call Aunt Dora. // [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To

Now when first Vingilot was set to sail in the seas of heaven, it rose unlooked for, glittering and bright; and the people of Middle-earth beheld it from afar and wondered, and they took it for a sign, and called it Gil-Estel, the Star of High Hope. And when this new star was seen at evening, Maedhros spoke to Maglor his brother, and he said: ‘Surely that is a Silmaril that shines now in the West?’

(Sil. Of the Voyage of Earendil.)

Gianna
Rohan

Nov 29 2014, 6:02pm

Post #56 of 66 (915 views)
Shortcut
since I must pick only one [In reply to] Can't Post

I choose the Mount Doom chapter. I always get teary in that part. Sam's loyalty to and love for Frodo is very moving. But the entire book is very beautiful too, so it's hard to single out one.

~There's some good left in this world. And it's worth fighting for.~

a.s.
Valinor

Nov 29 2014, 7:52pm

Post #57 of 66 (925 views)
Shortcut
How about a non-Middle Earth one? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always loved this from Leaf by Niggle. In fact, I'd like it in my own funeral program somewhere:

He was going to learn about sheep, and the high pasturages, and look at a wider sky, and walk ever further and further towards the Mountains, always uphill.

Tolkien was such a lyrical writer, and sentimental in the best sense of the word.

a.s.

"an seileachan"

Through any dark time, I always remember Frodo's claim on the side of Mt. Doom that he "can manage it" because he must.
Sometimes, I have to manage it, too, as do we all. We manage because we must.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 1 2014, 7:03pm

Post #58 of 66 (875 views)
Shortcut
Off Middle-earth? [In reply to] Can't Post

Finding Tolkien words or names in ‘real life’ is always interesting.
I’ve always enjoyed his novella ‘Smith of Wootton Major’.

This is amazingly hard to believe, but…
during a recent vacation in Waycross, Georgia I came across a family with the surname ‘Smith’.

I know, I know; I’ll probably catch it hot for exaggeration, but it’s true…. AngelicAngelic

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
But, sneaking off in daylight takes much more cunning.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Dec 2 2014, 11:58pm

Post #59 of 66 (879 views)
Shortcut
I always cry like a baby at the end of "Leaf". :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

"They both laughed. Laughed--the mountains rang with it!"

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."

rb_weaver

Dec 8 2014, 4:39pm

Post #60 of 66 (842 views)
Shortcut
Mine is... [In reply to] Can't Post

Of the many memorable moments in LotR, mine is from FotR when the fellows are leaving Lorien, and Gimili describes the pain of leaving Lothlorien (more specifically Galadriel) -

Why did I come on this Quest? Little did I know where the chief peril lay!...Torment in the dark was the danger that I feared, and it did not hold me back. But I would not have come, had I known the danger of light and joy. Now I have taken my worst wound in this parting, even if I were to go this night straight to the Dark Lord. Alas for Gimli son of Gloin!

Kind of makes me think of having a glimpse of Heaven, only to return here.

Plurmo
Rohan

Dec 10 2014, 4:57am

Post #61 of 66 (851 views)
Shortcut
Gimli's Nightfall [In reply to] Can't Post

At the setting out of the Quest, Gimli exchanged words with Elrond. In particular, Elrond said:

"but let him not vow to walk in the dark, who has not seen the nightfall."

To each member of the Company, the meaning of "nightfall" was a different one. To Gimli, so it seems to me, his "nightfall" was the journey from Cerin Amroth to Caras Galadhon, which started when "the sun was sinking behind the mountains," and ended at night with Gimli's heart forever bound to Galadriel.

'Yet sworn word may strenghten quaking heart,' said Gimli. 'Or break it,' said Elrond.

We never expected that, for Gimli, the quaking would be of love.

Still he kept his promise to walk in the dark, but his heart was indeed broken. In your quote we see how painful was the test of Gimli the dwarf.

Beautiful choice. Thanks.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 3 2015, 1:22pm

Post #62 of 66 (799 views)
Shortcut
Me too, Aunt Dora Baggins!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Please forgive me for barging in like this out of nowhere!... On the "Hobbit' Board where I am more often these days, Annael has very nicely just reminded me of that old thread in 2007 when I was calling for those "Hobbit" films to be made some day by PJ... I saw again how kindly and unflinchigly you supported me then, and I felt like looking for some of your recent posts... and finding this one, I couldn't resist jumping in, just to tell you how much I too love 'Leaf by Niggle', and particularly this fantastic ending!!!
I hope I haven't disturbed this thread by using it unexpectedly like this as a sudden little bridge towards you... Now is already the beginning of 2015, so let me finish with my heartfelt Happy New Year Greetings to you... Smile

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 3 2015, 4:17pm

Post #63 of 66 (795 views)
Shortcut
Well, that's very sweet <3 [In reply to] Can't Post

I honestly don't remember that old conversation from eight years ago :-D. Do you have a link?

I don't have any problem at all with you commenting about it in this thread. It's the sort of thing I do all the time; a comment will remind me of something else, and I just can't help going there.

A very happy New Year to you and yours as well.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Jan 4 2015, 4:29am

Post #64 of 66 (794 views)
Shortcut
Here is the link [In reply to] Can't Post

or at least the address if it doesn't show as a link:

http://newboards.theonering.net/forum/gforum/perl/gforum.cgi?post=818703#818703

Just in case you want to refresh your memory! But if you don't feel like it, no problem... Smile

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Jan 4 2015, 2:21pm

Post #65 of 66 (807 views)
Shortcut
Oh, thank you. [In reply to] Can't Post

I do remember that now, as I scroll through it.

It was a tough, touchy thread. Once people start piling on, one way or another, momentum can take over. It seemed important to try to bring some balance to the conversation.

I know how much it hurts to be slammed in a thread. It's happened to me a few times, because we're all human and words on a page can be hard to read without seeing the subtleties of the facial expressions. It's easy for things to get out of hand. And there have been a few times I've had to go away and take a break from TORn for a few weeks to get perspective back. But I've always been glad that I returned.

And I'm so glad that you hung in there and didn't give up. :-)

Beleg Strongbow Cuthalion
Bree

Apr 8 2015, 8:09pm

Post #66 of 66 (730 views)
Shortcut
Lots of them! [In reply to] Can't Post

CAN I SAY NOT JUST ONE??????????????? THEY ALL VIE FOR FIRST PLACE IN MY BRAIN. =)

1. Defeat of Sauron
2. Death of Boromir
3. Theoden's death

Sorry for my breach of the rules. But those are all my favourites. =)

~"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― Gandalf the Grey~

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.