Immortal

Nov 22 2014, 11:58am

Post #1 of 8 (693 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 22 Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 22, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. A deal is offered.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."About midday the banners of the Forest and the Lake were seen to be borne forth again. A company of twenty was approaching. At the beginning of the narrow way they laid aside sword and spear, and came on towards the Gate... ...the dwarves saw that among them were both Bard and the Elvenking, before whom an old man wrapped in cloak and hood bore a strong casket of iron-bound wood.
..."Hail Thorin!" said Bard. "Are you still of the same mind?"
..."My mind does not change with the rising and setting of a few suns... ...Did you come to ask me idle questions? Still the elf-host has not departed as I bade! Till then you come in vain to bargain with me...."
..."...What of the Arkenstone of Thráin?" said he, and at the same moment the old man opened the casket and held aloft the jewel. The light leapt from his hand, bright and white in the morning.
...Then Thorin was stricken dumb with amazement and confusion....
......Thorin at length broke the silence, and his voice was thick with wrath. "That stone was my father's, and is mine," he said. "Why should I purchase my own?" But wonder overcame him and he added: "But how came you by the heirloom of my house—if there is need to ask such a question of thieves?"
..."We are not thieves," Bard answered. "Your own we will give back in return for our own."
..."How came you by it?" shouted Thorin in gathering rage.
..."I gave it to them," squeaked Bilbo... ...peeping over the wall, by now, in a dreadful fright.
..."You! You!" cried Thorin, turning upon him and grasping him with both hands. "You miserable hobbit! You undersized—burglar!" he shouted at a loss for words, and he shook poor Bilbo like a rabbit.
..."By the beard of Durin! I wish I had Gandalf here! Curse him for his choice of you... ...As for you I will throw you to the rocks!" he cried and lifted Bilbo in his arms.
..."Stay! Your wish is granted!" said a voice. The old man with the casket threw aside his hood and cloak. "Here is Gandalf! And none too soon it seems. If you don't like my Burglar, please don't damage him. Put him down, and listen first to what he has to say!"
..."You all seem in league!" said Thorin dropping Bilbo on the top of the wall. "Never again will I have dealings with any wizard or his friends. What have you to say, you descendant of rats?"
..."Dear me! Dear me!" said Bilbo. "I am sure this is all very uncomfortable. You may remember saying that I might choose my own fourteenth share? Perhaps I took it too literally... ...The time was, all the same, when you seemed to think that I had been of some service. Descendant of rats, indeed! Is this all the service of you and your family that I was promised, Thorin? Take it that I have disposed of my share as I wished, and let it go at that!"
..."I will... ...And I will let you go at that—and may we never meet again!"
......And so Bilbo was swung down from the wall, and departed with nothing for all his trouble, except the armour which Thorin had given him already. More than one of the dwarves in their hearts felt shame and pity at his going.
..."Farewell!" he cried to them. "We may meet again as friends."
..."Be off!" called Thorin. "You have mail upon you, which was made by my folk, and is too good for you. It cannot be pierced by arrows; but if you do not hasten, I will sting your miserable feet.""

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2014, 12:21am

Post #2 of 8 (617 views)
Shortcut
*shudder* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oh, gosh, if this scene is played out similar to this in the movie, I'm going to be such a mess...Unsure

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 23 2014, 1:56pm

Post #3 of 8 (724 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 23, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Battle of Five Armies
(referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."...suddenly a darkness came on with dreadful swiftness! A black cloud hurried over the sky... ...another blackness could be seen whirling forward; but it did not come with the wind, it came from the North, like a vast cloud of birds, so dense that no light could be seen between their wings.
..."Halt!" cried Gandalf, who appeared suddenly, and stood alone, with arms uplifted, between the advancing dwarves and the ranks awaiting them. "Halt!" he called in a voice like thunder... "...The Goblins are upon you! Bolg of the North is coming. O Dain! whose father you slew in Moria. Behold! the bats are above his army like a sea of locusts. They ride upon wolves and Wargs are in their train...!"

..."...Come!" called Gandalf. "There is yet time for council. Let Dain son of Nain come swiftly to us!"
...So began a battle that none had expected; and it was called the Battle of Five Armies, and it was very terrible. Upon one side were the Goblins and the wild Wolves, and upon the other were Elves and Men and Dwarves.... ...How much Gandalf knew cannot be said, but it is plain that he had not expected this sudden assault.
...This is the plan that he made in council with the Elvenking and with Bard; and with Dain, for the dwarf-lord now joined them: the Goblins were the foes of all, and... ...all other quarrels were forgotten. Their only hope was to lure the goblins into the valley between the arms of the Mountain; and themselves to man the great spurs that struck south and east....
......Soon the thunder passed, rolling away to the South-East; but the bat-cloud came, flying lower, over the shoulder of the Mountain, and whirled above them shutting out the light and filling them with dread.
..."To the Mountain!" called Bard. "...Let us take our places while there is yet time!"

Battle of Five Armies Map from Karen Wynn Fonstad

...On the Southern spur, in its lower slopes and in the rocks at its feet, the Elves were set; on the Eastern spur were men and dwarves. But Bard and some of the nimblest of men and elves climbed to the height of the Eastern shoulder to gain a view to the North... ...They could see the lands before the Mountain's feet black with a hurrying multitude. Ere long the vanguard swirled around the spur's end and came rushing into Dale. These were the swiftest wolf-riders, and already their cries and howls rent the air afar. A few brave men were strung before them to make a feint of resistance... ...As Gandalf had hoped, the goblin army had gathered behind the resisted vanguard, and poured now in rage into the valley, driving wildly up between the arms of the Mountain, seeking for the foe....
......It was a terrible battle. The most dreadful of all Bilbo's experiences, and the one which at the time he hated most—which is to say it was the one he was most proud of, and most fond of recalling long afterwards...

......Day drew on. The goblins gathered again in the valley. There a host of Wargs came ravening and with them came the bodyguard of Bolg, goblins of huge size with scimitars of steel. Soon actual darkness was coming into a stormy sky; while still the great bats swirled about the heads and ears of elves and men, or fastened vampire-like on the stricken. Now Bard was fighting to defend the Eastern spur... ...and the elf-lords were at bay about their king upon the southern arm, near to the watch-post on Ravenhill.
...Suddenly there was a great shout, and from the Gate came a trumpet call. They had forgotten Thorin! Part of the wall, moved by levers, fell outward with a crash into the pool. Out leapt the King under the Mountain, and his companions followed him... ...they were in shining armour, and red light leapt from their eyes. In the gloom the great dwarf gleamed like gold in a dying fire.
...Rocks were hurled down from on high by the goblins above; but they held on, leapt down to the falls' foot, and rushed forward to battle. Wolf and rider fell or fled before them. Thorin wielded his axe with mighty strokes, and nothing seemed to harm him.
..."To me! To me! Elves and Men! To me! O my kinsfolk!" ...his voice shook like a horn in the valley.
...Down, heedless of order, rushed all the dwarves of Dain to his help. Down too came many of the Lake-men, for Bard could not restrain them; and out upon the other side came many of the spearmen of the elves. Once again the goblins were stricken in the valley; and they were piled in heaps till Dale was dark and hideous with their corpses. The Wargs were scattered and Thorin drove right against the bodyguards of Bolg. But he could not pierce their ranks...
......Soon the attackers were attacked, and they were forced into a great ring, facing every way hemmed all about with goblins and wolves returning to the assault. The bodyguard of Bolg came howling against them, and drove in upon their ranks like waves upon cliffs of sand. Their friends could not help them, for the assault from the Mountain was renewed with redoubled force, and upon either side men and elves were being slowly beaten down.
...On all this Bilbo looked with misery.... ..."It will not be long now," thought Bilbo, "before the goblins win the Gate, and we are all slaughtered or driven down and captured. Really it is enough to make one weep, after all one has gone through. I would rather old Smaug had been left with all the wretched treasure, than that these vile creatures should get it...

...Bilbo looked round. He gave a great cry: he had seen a sight that made his heart leap, dark shapes small yet majestic against the distant glow.
..."The Eagles! The Eagles!" he shouted. "The Eagles are coming!"
...Bilbo's eyes were seldom wrong. The eagles were coming down the wind, line after line, in such a host as must have gathered from all the eyries of the North....

..."...The Eagles!" cried Bilbo once more, but at that moment a stone hurtling from above smote heavily on his helm, and he fell with a crash and knew no more....

......But even with the Eagles they were still outnumbered. In that last hour Beorn himself had appeared—no one knew how or from where. He came alone, and in bear's shape; and he seemed to have grown almost to giant-size in his wrath.
...The roar of his voice was like drums and guns; and he tossed wolves and goblins from his path like straws and feathers. He... ...broke like a clap of thunder through the ring. The dwarves were making a stand still about their lords upon a low rounded hill. Then Beorn stooped and lifted Thorin, who had fallen pierced with spears, and bore him out of the fray.
...Swiftly he returned and his wrath was redoubled, so that nothing could withstand him, and no weapon seemed to bite upon him. He scattered the bodyguard, and pulled down Bolg himself and crushed him. Then dismay fell on the Goblins and they fled in all directions."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 23 2014, 1:58pm)

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 23 2014, 3:40pm

Post #4 of 8 (589 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

...I'm scared of what's coming *chomps on fingernails* :o

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 24 2014, 10:04am

Post #5 of 8 (592 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 24 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 24, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. One part of the adventure ends.
(determined from text - referencing Karen Wynn Fonstad, The Atlas of Middle-earth)
..."When Bilbo came to himself, he was ... ...lying on the flat stones of Ravenhill, and no one was near... ...He was shaking, and as chilled as stone, but his head burned with fire.
..."Now I wonder what has happened?" he said to himself. "At any rate I am not yet one of the fallen heroes; but I suppose there is still time enough for that!"
...He sat up painfully. Looking into the valley he could see no living goblins. After a while as his head cleared a little, he thought he could see elves moving in the rocks below... ... Dwarves seemed to be busy removing the wall. But all was deadly still. There was no call and no echo of a song. Sorrow seemed to be in the air.
..."Victory after all, I suppose!" he said, feeling his aching head. "Well, it seems a very gloomy business."
...Suddenly he was aware of a man climbing up and coming towards him.
..."Hullo there!" he called with a shaky voice. "Hullo there! What news?"
..."What voice is it that speaks among the stones?" said the man halting and peering about him not far from where Bilbo sat.
...Then Bilbo remembered his ring! "Well I'm blessed..! ...This invisibility has its drawbacks after all. Otherwise I suppose I might have spent a warm and comfortable night in bed!"

......When Gandalf saw Bilbo, he was delighted. "Baggins!" he exclaimed. "Well I never! Alive after all—I am glad! I began to wonder if even your luck would see you through! A terrible business, and it nearly was disastrous. But other news can wait. Come!" he said more gravely. "You are called for;" and leading the hobbit he took him within the tent.
..."Hail! Thorin... ...I have brought him."
...There indeed lay Thorin Oakenshield, wounded with many wounds, and his rent armour and notched axe were cast upon the floor. He looked up as Bilbo came beside him.
..."Farewell, good thief... ...I go now to the halls of waiting to sit beside my fathers, until the world is renewed. Since I leave now all gold and silver, and go where it is of little worth, I wish to part in friendship from you, and I would take back my words and deeds at the Gate."
...Bilbo knelt on one knee filled with sorrow. "Farewell, King under the Mountain..! ...This is a bitter adventure, if it must end so; and not a mountain of gold can amend it. Yet I am glad that I have shared in your perils—that has been more than any Baggins deserves."
..."No!" said Thorin. "There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West. Some courage and some wisdom, blended in measure. If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. But sad or merry, I must leave it now. Farewell!"
...Then Bilbo turned away, and he went by himself, and sat alone wrapped in a blanket, and... ...he wept until his eyes were red and his voice was hoarse.

......All that had happened after he was stunned, Bilbo learned later; but it gave him more sorrow than joy, and he was now weary of his adventure. He was aching in his bones for the homeward journey.
..."Where are the Eagles?" he asked Gandalf that evening, as he lay wrapped in many warm blankets.
..."Some are in the hunt... ...but most have gone back to their eyries. They would not stay here, and departed with the first light of morning. Dain has crowned their chief with gold, and sworn friendship with them for ever."
..."I am sorry. I mean, I should have liked to see them again," said Bilbo sleepily; "perhaps I shall see them on the way home. I suppose I shall be going home soon?"
..."As soon as you like," said the wizard."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 25 2014, 10:35am

Post #6 of 8 (590 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 25 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 25, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Thorin is laid to rest.
(determined from text)
..."They buried Thorin deep beneath the Mountain, and Bard laid the Arkenstone upon his breast.
..."There let it lie till the Mountain falls!" he said. "May it bring good fortune to all his folk that dwell here after!"
...Upon his tomb the Elvenking then laid Orcrist, the elvish sword that had been taken from Thorin in captivity. It is said in songs that it gleamed ever in the dark if foes approached, and the fortress of the dwarves could not be taken by surprise. There now Dain son of Nain took up his abode, and he became King under the Mountain... ...many other dwarves gathered to his throne in the ancient halls. Of the twelve companions of Thorin, ten remained. Fili and Kili had fallen defending him with shield and body, for he was their mother's elder brother. The others remained with Dain; for Dain dealt his treasure well."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 26 2014, 2:47pm

Post #7 of 8 (589 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 26 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 26, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. The treasure is divided.
(determined from text)
..."There was, of course, no longer any question of dividing the hoard in such shares as had been planned, to Balin and Dwalin, and Dori and Nori and Ori, and Oin and Gloin, and Bifur and Bofur and Bombur—or to Bilbo. Yet a fourteenth share of all the silver and gold, wrought and unwrought, was given up to Bard... ...Dain said: "We will honour the agreement of the dead, and he has now the Arkenstone in his keeping."
...Even a fourteenth share was wealth exceedingly... ...greater than that of many mortal kings. From that treasure Bard sent much gold to the Master of Lake-town; and he rewarded his followers and friends freely. To the Elvenking he gave the emeralds of Girion, such jewels as he most loved, which Dain had restored to him.
...To Bilbo he said: "This treasure is as much yours as it is mine; though old agreements cannot stand, since so many have a claim in its winning and defence. Yet even though you were willing to lay aside all your claim, I should wish that the words of Thorin, of which he repented, should not prove true: that we should give you little. I would reward you most richly of all."
..."Very kind of you... ...But really it is a relief to me. How on earth should I have got all that treasure home without war and murder all along the way... ... And I don't know what I should have done with it when I got home. I am sure it is better in your hands."
...In the end he would only take two small chests, one filled with silver, and the other with gold, such as one strong pony could carry. "That will be quite as much as I can manage," said he."

November 26, 3019 (S.R. 1419)
1. The Shire is reborn.
(not from the appendices-no text)
...Sam stood back and looked at the wall of bricks he and the others had just finished. This is the fifth hole they've restored in a few short weeks. The group smiled as they exchange glances and gather their tools. "And now to the Dragon to be sure their stock is in order," he chuckled to the others. "I'll fetch Mr. Frodo and we'll join you there."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2014, 11:49am

Post #8 of 8 (596 views)
Shortcut
TIME - November 27 [In reply to] Can't Post

Today in Middle-earth

November 27, 2941 (S.R. 1341)
1. Bilbo and Gandalf finally leave for home.
(determined from text)
..."At last the time came for him to say good-bye to his friends. "Farewell, Balin!" he said; "and farewell, Dwalin; and farewell Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, Gloin, Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur! May your beards never grow thin!" ...turning towards the Mountain he added: "Farewell Thorin Oakenshield! And Fili and Kili! May your memory never fade!"
...Then the dwarves bowed low before their Gate, but words stuck in their throats. "Good-bye and good luck, wherever you fare!" said Balin at last. "If ever you visit us again, when our halls are made fair once more, then the feast shall indeed be splendid!"
..."If ever you are passing my way," said Bilbo, "don't wait to knock! Tea is at four; but any of you are welcome at any time!"
...Then he turned away...
......Gandalf and Bilbo rode behind the Elvenking, and beside them strode Beorn, once again in man's shape, and he laughed and sang in a loud voice upon the road."

sample

TIME Google Calendar

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.