Beorn is set up to kill Azog
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

beorn58
Bree

Nov 27 2014, 4:28am

Post #26 of 37 (314 views)
Shortcut
Who cares [In reply to] Can't Post

if Beorn and Bolg had a connection. It is what happened.

Period. End of story.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 4:30am

Post #27 of 37 (286 views)
Shortcut
Lots of people in ME hate orcs. [In reply to] Can't Post

Orcs are evil. They've killed relatives of most of our characters (except possibly Bilbo). The more people who state reasons for hating orcs the more we can hate them. But not all the people whose lives have been damaged by Azog and/or Bolg can have the privilege of killing them.

Bishop
Gondor

Nov 27 2014, 4:30am

Post #28 of 37 (303 views)
Shortcut
You're right that the movie corrects the mistakes the book made [In reply to] Can't Post

Who is Bolg in the book and why did anyone care? In the movie, which is based upon the book for some stupid reason, at least he has something to do! IMO, I think they should have taken it further and just reversed his name to be "Glob", because the name was meaningless in the book to begin with.

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 6:43am

Post #29 of 37 (232 views)
Shortcut
actually [In reply to] Can't Post

it makes perfect sense. They've already set it up in DOS. Azog captured and killed Beorn's race, he's the last of his kind because of Azog. -Film logic dictates Beorn kills Azog. I would be surprised if this doesn't happen but than again PJ could be tricking us into thinking this will happen. Beorn killing Bolg won't happen, Legolas most likely. Sure they've strayed away from what happens in the book but that's been going on since AUJ.

The flames of war are upon you..

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 8:25am

Post #30 of 37 (220 views)
Shortcut
I think we can scrub the future tense on that anger., [In reply to] Can't Post

"I should have been a consultant on these films"

Well, you never know, if you had perhaps LOTR and TH films might have been successful, rather than the straight-to-video, little known movies they are today!

More seriously, I think there are those who like literal adaptations and those who don't. Or inputs people and outputs people to put it slightly differently.

But I don't think one is generally better or, indeed, more "respectful" than another. I can't think of anyone ever taking Holst's Planet's to task for not literally sounding like the planets in question!

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Nov 27 2014, 8:48am

Post #31 of 37 (202 views)
Shortcut
Though I too would much rather have Beorn kill Bolg as in the book [In reply to] Can't Post

If it is not to happen, then the next thing I would rather have him do is fight trolls and the other monsters of the Orc army.

Because who wouldn't love to see Beorn in bear-form tangle with trolls?!

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 9:14am

Post #32 of 37 (186 views)
Shortcut
Ha - darkness, I think, rather than TARDIS! [In reply to] Can't Post

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Nov 27 2014, 9:34am

Post #33 of 37 (179 views)
Shortcut
My guess is he kills that white Ogre/Troll/Orc guy with the club. [In reply to] Can't Post

Plus some trolls for good measure Wink

Boromir Stark
Rivendell

Nov 27 2014, 9:36am

Post #34 of 37 (186 views)
Shortcut
As far as I can remember, they didn't have a connection. [In reply to] Can't Post

Beorn just happened to appear in time to rescue Thorin, and took out Bolg and his bodyguards.

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 27 2014, 11:21am

Post #35 of 37 (174 views)
Shortcut
I got in trouble for this post, I won't share more... [In reply to] Can't Post

I haven't seen the film, I'm in contact with someone, or was haha. Woops. Crazy

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 27 2014, 11:55am

Post #36 of 37 (179 views)
Shortcut
Sounds like [In reply to] Can't Post

Sounds like they'll have Beorn kill that ogre. That would be lame, he looks like a slob.

Maybe a troll?

joec_34
Rivendell

Dec 1 2014, 3:00pm

Post #37 of 37 (78 views)
Shortcut
Argument from silence [In reply to] Can't Post

Arguments from silence are logical fallacies, or at best frail arguments. The facts are that (as far as we know) Tolkien did not comment on Legolas' presence or absence from the battle of the five armies. Thus, neither of us can make any definitive claims about his inclusion, unless they contradict existing data. So yes, if Legolas kills Bolg that would certainly contradict the books. However, Legolas playing an important part in the battle does not necessarily contradict the books. I go so far as to say that he should likely have been involved in the battle, since we know from other writings of Tolkien that Legolas was alive and was the son of the leader of the Elf army involved in the battle. Perhaps not, but it is certainly plausible.

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.