Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Article: Why Are Saruman, Radagast, and Galadriel in The Hobbit? [book spoilers]

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 2:24am

Post #1 of 8 (4419 views)
Shortcut
Article: Why Are Saruman, Radagast, and Galadriel in The Hobbit? [book spoilers] Can't Post

I thought this article by Michael Martinez was an interesting read vis-a-vis book canon, while waiting on the premiere. Unsurprisingly, there's also justification for other characters in TH as well. Enjoy.
Why Are Saruman, Radagast, and Galadriel in The Hobbit?

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXVI
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Nov 27 2014, 2:27am)

Ithilisa
Rivendell

Nov 27 2014, 4:26am

Post #2 of 8 (4011 views)
Shortcut
Glad you brought this up. [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm glad you asked as I'm still confused about Radagast when it comes to The Hobbit. I've been told he's mentioned in the book, but where?
I'm assuming the other 2 are in there as they were members of the White Council, which the third White Council met the year Bilbo's adventure with the dwarves begins (though if I'm misinterpreting my sources please correct me anyone).

"I name you Elf-friend; and may the stars shine upon the end of your road!" - Gildor

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 4:28am

Post #3 of 8 (3988 views)
Shortcut
Happy to know this was informative. And to clarify: not me who raised the question [In reply to] Can't Post

if that's what you were saying. I just came across the article.Smile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXVI
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 7:25am

Post #4 of 8 (3935 views)
Shortcut
WAyCOOL READ! thang you.."Lovely Lurker"// [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 8:07am

Post #5 of 8 (3941 views)
Shortcut
Radagast is mentioned during Gandalf's conversation [In reply to] Can't Post

With Beorn.

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 8:41am

Post #6 of 8 (3924 views)
Shortcut
At the very beginning, when [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf introduces himself... As Beorn replies that he has never heard of him (!), Gandalf explains he is a Wizard, and mentions Radagast as yet another Wizard, and that one more likely to be known by Beorn as he lives not so far away. And indeed Beorn has met Radagast, and even has a rather good opinion of him...!

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 27 2014, 9:02am

Post #7 of 8 (3930 views)
Shortcut
Interesting article [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting article with good points. I can't say that I've really seen much outrage about Saruman, Galadriel, or Radagast being there, though. At most some people who are not familiar with the whole source material (ie have read The Hobbit but not the LotR appendices) have asked why they're there, but I can't remember ever seeing it in the form of an actual complaint. Mostly people seem to have been excited or indifferent about the inclusion, or have been nitpicking about the execution of it.

Salmacis81
Tol Eressea

Nov 28 2014, 11:57pm

Post #8 of 8 (3835 views)
Shortcut
With the inclusion of the White Council subplot... [In reply to] Can't Post

...it certainly makes sense to have at least Saruman and Galadriel present. Radagast lives near Mirkwood, so I guess it makes some sense for him to have a role.

I think more people are annoyed with the inclusion of Azog than with Saruman, Galadriel, or Radagast.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.