The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
In anticipation of BOFTA and other much-anticipated year-end movies
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: In anticipation of BOFTA and other much-anticipated year-end movies
I prefer to sit as close to the screen as possible
I prefer to sit in the back
I prefer to sit in the balcony
I have to sit as close to center as possible
I like sitting far away from the speakers (they're deafening!)
I like sitting close to the speakers (clarity!)
I don't care where as long as I get a seat
I prefer to see movies by myself
I prefer to see movies with my significant other
I prefer to see movies with a buddy
I prefer to see movies with a bunch of friends or like-minded people
I have no preferences when it comes to viewing companions
I have no real preferences -- the movie is the only thing that matters
I would rather wait and watch a movie at home than go to the cinema
I always get something to eat or drink at the cinema --it's part of the experience
I rarely visit the theater's concession stand
I sneak my own snacks in!
I can't enjoy a movie and eat/drink at the same time
Other (please explain)
View Results (179 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 8:24am

Post #26 of 34 (2721 views)
Shortcut
Centre with like-minded people/friends [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched DOS last year with 11 companions. Two of these were not that into LOTR and Tolkien in general and ruined all the good moments by having their own internal banter and laughing out loud. They single-handedly semi-ruined my cinema experience and that won't happen again.

About 1/10 times I'll buy a popcorn and a coca cola. Prices are decent, just as high as the snacks described by fellow US tornadoes but the difference being that they are this costly everywhere.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 6:14pm

Post #27 of 34 (2706 views)
Shortcut
Personal Preferences; [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I have occasionally been to the cinema by myself (I tend to see films Midday -Early Afternoon on weekdays it's cheaper and much quieter, so know one bothers you anyway) I'd prefer to be with a friend or two to share the laughs and grimaces with, my close friends tend to have pretty similar tastes in cinema, so it's often more fun to see even terrible films this way.

I prefer to:

-Sit in the Middle Back (say 2/3 of the rows back from the front), best view of the screen, cheaper than the back, easier access to the aisles and normally less crowded.

-Buy my own drinks/snacks, though I rarely bring them into screenings anymore. I like popcorn as much as anyone, but Cinema food is ridiculously overpriced, and only ends up making you more thirsty, no fun when you are going blind into a 3 hour blockbuster and you don't know when the twist is coming.

-Not a fan of 3D or IMAX, the film should have a good story front and centre, paying more for a gimmicky format that only slightly alters the viewing experience isn't a plus in my book-I'll like or hate the film regardless of what format it is in, and I don't see the point in paying more for 'luxury' seats when they are generally placed further away from the screen than the cheaper seats I normally use.

-Whether I watch it in the cinema, or wait for release on DVD tends to depend on critical reviews, and my own free time, I tend to only see 'event' films in the cinema-if I'm paying more to see it on a big screen, I'd expect to see a 'big' film in the process, but I'd like to know if it's good one beforehand!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 23 2014, 6:05pm

Post #28 of 34 (2706 views)
Shortcut
I prefer to go by myself [In reply to] Can't Post

But I do like to see it at least once or twice with a group and /or someone who like the films and knows what's going on.

I don't drink anything for several hours before the film.

I have the bucket, so I will get some popcorn, but only half-full

I like to sit near the center; but during the first week or so, I'll take an isle seat near the center

I study for what I consider a "slow spot" for any possible breaks I may need ;)

I really dislike how much theatres use noisey wrappings for food/candy. Sounds like I'm sitting in a crackling rain storm for the first 1/2 hour

I've just bought my tickets ahead of time at a group rate of $5 per BoFA showing (up to 30 shows)... so I'm all set to go!!! :D

(This post was edited by grammaboodawg on Nov 23 2014, 6:05pm)

CathrineB
Rohan

Nov 25 2014, 12:21pm

Post #29 of 34 (2697 views)
Shortcut
With 3D.. [In reply to] Can't Post

With 3D I have been reccommended middle seat. Wont have that on the premiere in Norway though but ah well Sly

Theodora
The Shire

Nov 25 2014, 9:46pm

Post #30 of 34 (2687 views)
Shortcut
First viewing with my son, all other times I prefer to go alone. [In reply to] Can't Post

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 26 2014, 3:30pm

Post #31 of 34 (2670 views)
Shortcut
My favorite funny movie-going memory [In reply to] Can't Post

was when I was in high school. I took a friend from Pakistan to see Jesus Christ Superstar. It was during Ramadan, and the movie started before sundown, so she took a casserole in a tupperware in her purse. She was on the edge of her seat during the scene where the priest was offering Judas the money, and she whispered to me, "Is he going to take it?"

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 3:45pm

Post #32 of 34 (2667 views)
Shortcut
We sit near the top, at the back in the center. [In reply to] Can't Post

Our theater seems to have smallish theaters with enormous screens, so the farther back we can get, the better. Usually we pick the second from the last row, smack in the middle. The sound is usually fine wherever you sit.

I go with the fam, which is Mr. Eruvande and the two boys. We generally eat before we go to a show, so we don't have to buy the expensive snacks. If we do buy snacks, the kids get a kids' pack, which includes a small drink, small popcorn and a small bag of gummies all on a cardboard holder. Mr. Eruvande and I will share a drink and a small popcorn, but I usually drink most of the drink and he eats most of the popcorn.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 3:50pm

Post #33 of 34 (2747 views)
Shortcut
Ha! [In reply to] Can't Post

Interesting to get another person's perspective who doesn't know the story. Smile

One of my funniest experiences in a theater was during a quiet moment in the film (can't remember which film). All of a sudden we heard the clink of a glass bottle, followed by the sound of it rolling down the slanted concrete floor, followed by a family-unfriendly expletive. I think somebody dropped his illicit beer. Laugh

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2015, 9:24pm

Post #34 of 34 (2637 views)
Shortcut
I voted 'center' [In reply to] Can't Post

but i actually like to sit about a third of the way from the screen-- it fills my field of view enough without being too close.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.