Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Film portrayal of Elves vs. Book portrayal of Elves.

delius82
Rivendell

Nov 25 2014, 10:11pm

Post #1 of 11 (1143 views)
Shortcut
Film portrayal of Elves vs. Book portrayal of Elves. Can't Post

We all know that PJ didn't include the Woodland elves and their magical forest parties that suddenly evaporated when The Company of Thorin got too close. I've noticed in DOS that the elves especially the Silvan Wood elves don't have the feral/somewhat wild nature that they were given in the book. What do you all think about that decision on PJ's part?

Its something that i've noticed throughout the filmed series as opposed to the books. You don't have the Elves singing those keening songs to Thorin, Gandalf, and company.

Name
Rohan

Nov 25 2014, 10:31pm

Post #2 of 11 (699 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Tolkien portrayed his "Hobbit" elves much differently then his "Rings" elves. The "Hobbit" elves were almost more fairy-like; not as serious and noble as his later descriptions in LotR and the Silmarillion. I think Jackson has kept his elves pretty consistent, which is good. The Woodland elves are different in the movies, but not quite to the degree of the original story. All for the better IMO.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 25 2014, 10:36pm

Post #3 of 11 (692 views)
Shortcut
Trying not to confuse the audience? [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson made a serious effort in LotR to distinguish the various peoples of Middle Earth, and did a remarkably good job, I think. Elves are very distinct from Men, for example, and the Rivendell culture was also distinct from that of Lorien. I do see Thranduil's Elves as being distinguished from either the Rivendell or Lorien Elves, but the darker tone of the Hobbit movies probably precludes too much La La Lally and partying.

delius82
Rivendell

Nov 25 2014, 10:44pm

Post #4 of 11 (617 views)
Shortcut
^True, Elizabeth. [In reply to] Can't Post

I can see your point.

Retro315
Rivendell

Nov 26 2014, 3:41am

Post #5 of 11 (501 views)
Shortcut
Feral [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always sort of had a big difference in my head between the civilized Noldor west of the Misty Mountains and the Wood-elves, as well as the Galadhrim. For starters, when I thought of their degree of feral style, and relationship to nature, things like pristine tailored clothes and immaculately combed hair didn't occur to me.

Thranduil especially, I pictured with wild hair, with twigs and leaves tangled in it.

elvish.mafia
Bree

Nov 26 2014, 7:20am

Post #6 of 11 (452 views)
Shortcut
What I'd like to know... [In reply to] Can't Post

Is why the Mirkwood elves get drunk so easily, and yet Legolas doesn't even get tipsy in ROTK?

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 26 2014, 7:38am

Post #7 of 11 (452 views)
Shortcut
Elves superheroes [In reply to] Can't Post

The biggest problem with the film elves are that Legolas & Tauriel seem like superheroes. What is there really to fear from orchs and Sauron if a single elf easily can slaughter a whole army?

jkm7
Bree

Nov 26 2014, 2:35pm

Post #8 of 11 (379 views)
Shortcut
The Dorwinion wine of the elves [In reply to] Can't Post

is probably a lot more potent than the ale of the Rohirrim.
Plus Elros and Galion (were these their names?) drank from the wine meant for Thranduil. So I would think there was some extra strong liqueur mixed into it. Wink

Carnivoran
The Shire

Nov 26 2014, 4:08pm

Post #9 of 11 (348 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes I think Lorien elves looked bland [In reply to] Can't Post

I think the Mirkwood elves really embody the "forest or wood-elf" appearance with the extreme amount of leaf motifs and camouflage. In comparison now, I think the grey of the Lorien elves looks a bit bland.

Blustar
The Shire

Nov 26 2014, 4:46pm

Post #10 of 11 (345 views)
Shortcut
There are way more orcs. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

even in the books, Orcs in general are no match for the Elves, it's the sheer number of Orcs which makes them dangerous.

joec_34
Rivendell

Nov 26 2014, 5:50pm

Post #11 of 11 (318 views)
Shortcut
Boring like when the party is over and you're all alone. [In reply to] Can't Post

I see what you mean about the Lorien elves being more "bland". I always took it as simple elegance, at least in architecture & clothing. Combine that with their hearts being set on travelling West, and I think that's what made Lorien bland. I like to think of it like when you finish cleaning up after a great party, sit down on the couch, and everything seems boring. That's the way that I thought Lorien felt. I like it; good job PJ&Co.
P.S. In Mirkwood, however, the party is still going, and it shows. (Literally: the feast of starlight, or whatever Tauriel called it.)

"Happy painting and God bless, my friend." - Bob Ross

(This post was edited by joec_34 on Nov 26 2014, 5:53pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.