Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXVI
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 10:36pm

Post #1 of 206 (19961 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXVI  

A couple of friendly reminders aka README!!!!!!!!
- If you're new, or unsure, about posting, especially contributing Pretty!, please refer to the TORn guides on the "Welcome" board, or refer to the "IMPORTANT README for TA posters: Information on posting, and adding images" and the little PSA from the mods posts right here on the TA threads for quickie information. It might just save you from getting zapped by Wrath of Mod.

- Spoiler avoidance alert: There be spoilers since TAXVII due to the DOS EE, and BotFA media releases. Viewing in threaded mode is a better way to go about it if you're keen to avoid them, as you can check the sub-thread titles before you see anything you might regret... though what's to regret when it comes to Thranduil Pretty!, eh?

And now back to your regularly scheduled Thranduil AppreciationHeart

.~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~. .~.~.~.~.~.

Eruvandi here.Smile We tipped the last thread and now it's time for TA XXVI! Let's continue appreciating His Fabulousness!

Any and all appreciation of HeartThranduil and everything related to him happens here.
All HeartThranduil Thralls, and appreciating non-Thralls are welcome.Smile
So feel free to jump in at any time!

(Large-res!source Clicky)

The Thranduil Appreciation thread count:
I | II (Originating threads by Rowan Greene) | III | IV | V | VI (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
VII (Thread by Eruvandi) | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV (Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)
XV (Thread by Eruvandi) | XVI (Thread by Lurker in the Mirk) | XVII (Thread by VValar) | XVIII
XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV XXV(Threads by Lurker in the Mirk)

Thranduil Appreciation Lexicon aka the little TAspeak garden Tongue
  • BTS Easter Egg Find (aka BEEF): Those moments in the BTS when Thranduil/LP flashes by (see Unexpected Flash of Elf) on screen or some information is found. See also "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Bubba: Nickname of Thranduil's beloved War-Elk. See also "Maximum Fabulosity Exposure"
  • Equal Opportunistic Thrall: One who thralls whom her/his infidelity fancies. Shamelessly multi-allegiance by nature. See also "Thranduil Thralls"
  • Elvenking, The: That's right, that's how it's supposed to be written
  • Facemelt: That thing Thranduil does in T&T
  • Fanart: Popular post subject/title. Beacon for Thralls, as sure as moths dive into flames. See also "Pretty!"
    (Helpful reference for the threadlard inspired: See the "IMAGES" section of "The TA (very) Quickie Help/TIPS for adding IMAGES and POSTING" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters)
  • FEAST: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of Thranduil sass/badassery resulting in Elrond raising his eyebrows disapprovingly. May involve dramatic Elrond temple-rubbing. Elrond's fluster can be induced remotely or by proxy and does not require Elrond to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FLAST", "FEASTING"
  • FEASTING: Shorthand for Flustered Elrond AND Sassy Thranduil Including Not-impressed Galadriel. Extension of FEAST, which includes Galadriel, also in disapproval mode, i.e. Elrond's fluster conditions in FEAST apply here for both Elrond and Galadriel
  • FLAST: Shorthand for Flustered Leggy AND Sassy Thranduil. In honour of the worship for badass (maybe a smidgeon of oblivious in there somewhere) Thranduil and his actions/non-actions resulting in Legolas getting into a flap. Requires Legolas to be present when Thranduil does his thang. See also "FEAST"
  • GotG: Guardians of the Galaxy. That movie in August 2014 with LP in it
  • HCF: Halt and Catch Fire. LP's 2014 TV series.
  • Hair of Thranduil (aka HoT) Appreciation. Appreciation for Thranduil's gloriously silken beautiful platinum blond locks.
  • High Thud Risk (aka HTR): Alert for Pretty! hoarding thralls, invoked when 'EI' ain't cutting it. See also "Pretty!"
  • LA/LAEM: The Last Alliance of Elves and Men, not the city in the States
  • Lee Pace: Thranduil
  • Leggy: affectionate diminutive of Legolas
  • Legolas: Son of Thranduil, aka surfer Elf of LotR
  • LP: Lee Pace
  • Maximum Fabulosity Exposure (aka MFE): Thranduil's complete magnificence doing anything. Inspired by his awesome cool when riding Bubba the War-Elk. See also "Bubba"
  • Ninja-Hugger: Specifically LP dispensing hugs. Not that he hugs ninjas, but because he's sneaky like a ninja when he hugs people in the TH Vlogs and appendices and it takes everyone forever to realize it was even him, usually because he's back to camera when he bounces into frame. Will the sneaky hugging never end? We hope not! See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Unexpected Flash of Elf"
  • Oropher: Father of Thranduil
  • Orry/Oro: affectionate diminutive of Oropher
  • PD: Pushing Daisies. LP's 2007/2008 TV series
  • Pretty!: Surely self-explanatory? See also "Woodland Weekend", "High Thud Risk"
  • Silent Thread Visitor (aka STV): Self-explanatory, also known as Silent Thread Reader. STVs, Thranduil has a question for you. What say you? Smile
  • T&T: The Thranduil and Thorin confrontation scene in DOS. Generally ranked top favourite of Thranduil Thralls
  • TA: Thranduil Appreciation. All-round Heart for the Elvenking and his onscreen avatar (and by extension teh actor. See also LP). Shockingly, there are TA posts with that literary bent associated with thinking individuals frequenting such an exemplary forum as TORn. Some even hint at functional brain-matter in the poster.
  • That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf: See "T&T"
  • Theory of Bling: Overarching term for theories and speculation on the backstories of Thranduil's rings. Popular discussion circa TAIII/TAIV, but still pops up occasionally.
  • Thranddy: affectionateHeart diminutive of the Elvenking's name (if you don't know who is the Elvenking, google is your mellon)
  • Thrandfully: The right manner on how to express your thankfulness to all Thranduil-related and non-related subjects
  • Thranduil Thralls: The afflicted. Fangirls, and boys, whose allegiance are pledged to the Elvenking. Also known as the hopelessly enthralled to his ELVEN MAGNIFICENCE. Perturbing to some, Thralldom may not be exclusive. Credit goes to Eowyn of Penns Woods for the "official" Thranduil Thrall moniker. See also "Equal Opportunistic Thrall"
  • Threadlock: The inevitable fate of all TA threads exceeding 200 replies, aka mundane Chore of Mod. See also "Thread tipping"
  • Thread tipping: Post(s) that sends the current TA thread over the 200 replies threshold See also "Threadlock".
    (See the "AVOIDING GENERIC POST-DEATH" and "AVOIDING POST- DEATH FROM THREADLOCK" sections in this README FOR ALL TA Posters).
  • Unexpected Flash of Elf (aka UFE): Those moments in the TH BTS, Vlogs when Thranduil/LP flashes by. See also "BTS Easter Egg Find", "Ninja-Hugger"
  • Woodland Weekend (aka WW): Occasional mega URL laden post for Pretty! of Thranduil, and LP. May also include goodness for Legolas, *cough*That disagreeable (among other things) Dwarf*cough* and some others. Selective indiscrimination is key. See also "Pretty!", "High Thud Risk"

• [Click here for the general TORnspeak lexicon]

Keeping track of the appreciation
    Caught off-guard at how much you've missed? 1 simple click will ensure you won't miss another update again. Put this thread on watch! Locate the "Watch thread" button to the top and right of this post (button 3 of the 5 threads buttons you see) and click it.

Also, if you click on the "creation" bit in the "Age" column (last one) when you view a forum, it changes to "activity", and you get a list of threads which has been recently posted to, instead of when they were started. It's a much easier way to find the current TA thread since someone will probably post in it, and it usually appears on page 1 of the activity view. Certainly beats going back through the board to look for it.

"There's distraction buzzing in my head,
    Saying in the shadows it's easier to stay.
    But I've heard rumors, of true reality.
    Whispers of a well-lit way.

When the world has fallen out from under me,
    I'll be found in You, still standing.
    When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
    When time and space are through.
    I'll be found in You."
    ~Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 25 2014, 11:01pm)

VValar
    Gondor

Nov 25 2014, 10:53pm

Post #2 of 206 (18511 views)
    Shortcut
         Eruvandi you beat me to it!! [In reply to]  

Opening XXVI that is Wink
    Oh well, I'll just keep my OP to myself just a little longer Angelic

But the OP with the fab HAIRHeart deserves it's own place on top of the thread.

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
    Gondor

Nov 25 2014, 11:02pm

Post #3 of 206 (18549 views)
    Shortcut
         A nice BOFA edit of Thranduil Pretty! [In reply to]  

To kick-start no. 26 Heart

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 11:07pm

Post #4 of 206 (18474 views)
    Shortcut
         He-he [In reply to]  

I probably had an unfair advantage since I got fidgety and made my OP when we hit 200 posts in TAXXV.Smile

But the OP with the fab HAIRHeart deserves it's own place on top of the thread.

It is quite a good pic isn't it?Angelic

I'll be found in You."

macfalk
    Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 11:10pm

Post #5 of 206 (18526 views)
    Shortcut
         I have to say that he looks quite majestic astride on his elk. [In reply to]  

Wasn't sure about the elk as a suitable mount at first but now I think it looks awesome. Elks are cool!

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

On_the_partyelk
    Lorien

Nov 25 2014, 11:25pm

Post #6 of 206 (18503 views)
    Shortcut
         Holy Moly [In reply to]  

@VValar: I'd like to throw in a *THUD* at the two clicky pics you posted shortly before TA XXV got locked. Holy damn! Ever since the main trailer got released (especially since the guyliner part) I'm on the floor hugging my blankie because of this intense level of gorgeous. Crazy

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

On_the_partyelk
    Lorien

Nov 25 2014, 11:46pm

Post #7 of 206 (18475 views)
    Shortcut
         This reminds me [In reply to]  

Cool

I had to look twice, cause I couldn't believe they put him on an elk. But I've become rather fond of elkie. Smile

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Arveldis
    Rivendell

Nov 25 2014, 11:57pm

Post #8 of 206 (18511 views)
    Shortcut
         I guess it's high time I joined the party... [In reply to]  

Now that it's at #26. Blush So howdy ya'll! *waves*

I'm in a picture sort of mood today, so I thought I might contribute. I've actually had this post planned for a while now but never got around to it. I figure now's as good a time as any to put these up.

This being an appreciation thread where high res is an absolute must, all of the pictures link to the original images/gifs. I'm very, very behind on reading TA threads, so my apologies if some of these have been posted before. But there's no such thing as too much #fabulousness, eh? Wink

Which brings me to:

And the next one:

Elves can't always be perfect. And that probably wasn't the wisest thing to say in a TA thread... *runs and hides*

I think this is what any self-respecting fan would do:

This one's inspired by a certain scene from DoS:

A haunting image and quote:

A nice piece of fan art featuring Thranduil, Elrond, Legolas, and Arwen:

I think many of you will agree with this sage quote Wink:

Whew. I just barely squeaked by with the KB limit. Hope ya'll enjoy! Smile

(This post was edited by Arveldis on Nov 25 2014, 11:59pm)

Glorfindela
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 12:23am

Post #9 of 206 (18455 views)
    Shortcut
         Lots of loveliness [In reply to]  

Thank you for your postings, Rocket, I mean Arveldis.Wink

Arveldis
    Rivendell

Nov 26 2014, 12:31am

Post #10 of 206 (18441 views)
    Shortcut
         I'm Rocket no longer. [In reply to]  

Evil I just changed my avatar today (about ten minutes ago, actually) after finally deciding on an image. My little red panda was a placeholder until I decided an avatar. Of course, the red panda can come back if you miss it. Wink

Thank you for your postings...

You're very welcome. Smile

(This post was edited by Arveldis on Nov 26 2014, 12:33am)

Glorfindela
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 12:42am

Post #11 of 206 (18447 views)
    Shortcut
         Argh – Rocket disappeared, probably as I was typing my message! [In reply to]  

Still, may I say that the replacement is very fine indeed. You are to be congratulated for your choice of the gorgeous image.

In Reply To
    Evil I just changed my avatar today (about ten minutes ago, actually) after finally deciding on an image. My little red panda was a placeholder until I decided an avatar. Of course, the red panda can come back if you miss it. Wink

Thank you for your postings...

You're very welcome. Smile

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 12:42am

Post #12 of 206 (18469 views)
    Shortcut
         Response to the Michael Martinez article in TAXXV (May be a little SPOILERy to some) [In reply to]  

Link to article found in this post.

I just read that article by Michael Martinez on how movie Thranduil is different from book Thranduil and it has caused me to have some thoughts:

First of all in the book-verse, if it’s true that Thingol was the Elvenking at one point, I wonder how it would have affected the Legendarium if Tolkien had decided to keep Thingol as the Elvenking in The Hobbit instead of changing him to a separate character? Would hobbits have made an official appearance sooner (cira the Second Age maybe?) or would Thingol have lived longer, possibly all the way into the Third Age before his inevitable demise at the hands of dwarves? Would his demise still have been the result of lust for a Silmaril or something else?

Second, I wonder if when movie Thranduil takes his army to the mountain if he’ll think, like in the book, that the dwarves are probably dead?

Third, the essay “The Princes of the Silvan Elves” just got added to my reading list! Cool

Fourth, I’m going to have to disagree with Mr. Martinez on this:

“The Thranduil we see in the movies is more complex than the Elvenking of The Hobbit. I think there is good reason to make him complicated, because the character in the book plays such a small role in the story he would seem little more than a contrivance on the screen; something akin to, say, a street vendor rather than a great king.”

A contrivance and street vendor? Really? I read TH before I saw the movies, and I hardly think Thranduil would have seemed like a street vendor on screen. Mad I thought he would seem like a sassy Elvenking! Oh well. I’m still glad that movie Thranduil gets more screentime.

Next I want to respond to what Mr. Martinez said here:

“But Peter Jackson’s Thranduil may also be following in the footsteps of the irrational Elf-Dwarf hatred he introduced into “The Lord of the Rings” (there is nothing like this in Tolkien’s stories). Tolkien’s elves and dwarves don’t hate each other; in fact, they have experienced many thousands of years of great friendship. But by the end of the Third Age all the races have been driven apart by Sauron’s designs, and so they mistrust each other.”

Er…What? Tolkien’s elves and dwarves don’t hate each other and there’s nothing like this in Tolkien’s stories? If that’s the case then why was it a big deal that Gimli and Legolas became friends? Yes, the elves and the dwarves had friendship for quite some time, but from what I got out my own reading in the Silmarillion and LOTR, there most certainly were at least some hatred issues between the two races at various points, were there not? Was it as widespread and constant as PJ made it? I’m not sure. But IMO it’s a little extreme to say there was nothing like it at all in Tolkien’s stories.

Finally, I have to disagree with this too:

“I had kind of hoped Peter would tone down the hatred theme in “The Hobbit”, and in a way he did, but instead of doing a complete about-face on the topic he is retro-engineering an explanation for why Gimli bursts out with “never trust an elf!” at the Council of Elrond. It is at once both a clever construction and an unfortunate choice because these movies will forever cloud the discussions of Middle-earth with confused and ill-informed commentary (that was already in place but only magnified after the first film came out).
    So, on the one hand, Lee Pace’s Thranduil makes perfect sense. His complicated relationship with the Dwarves of Erebor seems to imply that we won’t see the great friendship between Elves, Men, and Dwarves at the end of Peter Jackson’s “Hobbit” story which Tolkien created at the end of his Hobbit story. Or, if we do, people are going to be GREATLY surprised and confused (because then that destroys Gimli’s rational credibility altogether).”

I may be misremembering because I’ve only read FOTR once and that was a whole year ago, but wasn’t Gloin, Gimli’s father at the Council of Elrond? And wasn’t he STILL annoyed about Thranduil having locked him and the other dwarves up all those years ago even DESPITE the fact that some of the Elves, Men, and Dwarves ended up being friends at the end of the Hobbit? I don’t see why BotFA couldn’t end the same way as the book and yet Gloin still holds a personal grudge, like in the FOTR book and passes it down to his son, therefore still giving Gimli a perfectly good reason to say “never trust and elf.”

What do y’all think about all this?

I'll be found in You."

Glorfindela
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 12:54am

Post #13 of 206 (18431 views)
    Shortcut
         A quick answer to a bit of your post: [In reply to]  

From what I remember of both LotR and The Hobbit, the Dwarves and Elves mistrust each other profoundly (the Dwarves in particular appear to mistrust the Elves in FotR, film version, as seen at the Council of Elrond in particular, and in Gimli's attitude to the Elves). There isn't any suggestion that either Gloin or Gimli mistrust the Elves any more than do any other of the surly Dwarves featured at the Council.

The Elves, too, don't trust the Dwarves in FotR, as seen, for example, during their initial encounter before entering Lothlorien. However, in general the mistrust appears to be stronger on the part of the Dwarves (Legolas's attitude towards Dwarves in LotR appears just vaguely bland).

NB I never got the feeling in LotR that there was any more than just mistrust between the two races – there was certainly no hatred.

(This post was edited by Glorfindela on Nov 26 2014, 12:56am)

Eruvandi
    Tol Eressea

Nov 26 2014, 2:33am

Post #14 of 206 (18422 views)
    Shortcut
         Welcome and thrice welcome, Arveldis! [In reply to]  

Thranduil is happy to see you!Smile

Ooooh, lots of really nice pics you've posted! Thanks! *saves all the pics* The Thrandy/Leggy/Elrond/Arwen pic is new to me. I like!Cool

I'll be found in You."

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 3:05am

Post #15 of 206 (18417 views)
    Shortcut
         Yay, TAXXVI! Good job, Eruvandi =) [In reply to]  

and I saw you and VValar were collaboratively tipping XXVSmile

In celebration of more TAHeart

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
    (Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation
    Threadcount: XXVI
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
    Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 3:06am

Post #16 of 206 (18421 views)
    Shortcut
         *LOL* and I thought you were just meddling with your knitting [In reply to]  

I probably had an unfair advantage since I got fidgety and made my OP when we hit 200 posts in TAXXV.Smile

Tongue

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

HeartThranduil Appreciation
    Threadcount: XXVI
    I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV | XXV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 3:09am

Post #17 of 206 (18409 views)
    Shortcut
         HEHEH! That pic... [In reply to]  

Always put a smile on my faceSmile

HeartThranduil Appreciation. Threadcount: XXVI

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 3:15am

Post #18 of 206 (18416 views)
    Shortcut
         Et tu, on_the_partyelk? [In reply to]  

In Reply To
    Ever since the main trailer got released (especially since the guyliner part) I'm on the floor hugging my blankie because of this intense level of gorgeous. Crazy

Evil I'm just floored... hard to remember anything else, let alone being unhappy/confused/perplexed about the info leaks on stuff, lack of new Elvenking in the DoS EE or inappropriate placement of photobombers... and, and... what was I saying?... oh, yes, Thranduil's beauty is perfectly majesticAngelic

For good measure

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 3:18am

Post #19 of 206 (18426 views)
    Shortcut
         *waves* Glad to see you delurked on TA, Arveldis [In reply to]  

You certainly came bearing giftsHeart (that fan art is new and much appreciated, as are the others)

Party favour for youSmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 3:51am

Post #20 of 206 (18445 views)
    Shortcut
         Thoughts... [potential BotFA spoilers] [In reply to]  

Good points, Eruvandi!

In Reply To
    First of all in the book-verse, if it’s true that Thingol was the Elvenking at one point, I wonder how it would have affected the Legendarium if Tolkien had decided to keep Thingol as the Elvenking in The Hobbit instead of changing him to a separate character? Would hobbits have made an official appearance sooner (cira the Second Age maybe?) or would Thingol have lived longer, possibly all the way into the Third Age before his inevitable demise at the hands of dwarves? Would his demise still have been the result of lust for a Silmaril or something else?

I think the idea of the Elvenking in the Hobbit was Thingol was a notion in the prof's mind for a while. iirc, the Silm came first. TH was a bedtime story he told his children, and he sort of pulled out stuff he's already put into the Silm to flesh it out as he went along. But when it came time to tidy stuff up, and get ready for TH's publishing, he reviewed the mythos and realised, for all the questions you listed, the placement of Thingol in TH and the timeline wouldn't work. So the prof saved himself a lot of grief when he decided to keep Thingol in FA and have TH's Elvenking as someone else.Smile

In Reply To
    Second, I wonder if when movie Thranduil takes his army to the mountain if he’ll think, like in the book, that the dwarves are probably dead?

I'd like to think so. Looking at what's been disclosed, I suspect what Thranduil thought might have to do with that bit where he refused Gandalf's request to send warning to Erebor. But that would be a dubious bit, and so I hope not.Frown i'll just keep hoping PJ won't have Thranduil sunk so low until we see BotFA.

In Reply To
    Third, the essay “The Princes of the Silvan Elves” just got added to my reading list! Cool

You'll like it I think Smile It's a fav of mine, mainly because it's where you get the gist about the Mirkwood royalsHeart. You have the UT then? Good on you!

In Reply To
    A contrivance and street vendor? Really? I read TH before I saw the movies, and I hardly think Thranduil would have seemed like a street vendor on screen. Mad I thought he would seem like a sassy Elvenking! Oh well. I’m still glad that movie Thranduil gets more screentime.

Yup. This bit was really a "Really?!" moment for me too. Even though he's not got a lot of time in the book, what he was definitely didn't speak of less than a KING. That was quite clear to me.

In Reply To
    Er…What? Tolkien’s elves and dwarves don’t hate each other and there’s nothing like this in Tolkien’s stories? If that’s the case then why was it a big deal that Gimli and Legolas became friends? Yes, the elves and the dwarves had friendship for quite some time, but from what I got out my own reading in the Silmarillion and LOTR, there most certainly were at least some hatred issues between the two races at various points, were there not? Was it as widespread and constant as PJ made it? I’m not sure. But IMO it’s a little extreme to say there was nothing like it at all in Tolkien’s stories.

hmmm... I agree and disagree at the same time. There's certainly a lot of (implied) bad vibes between Elves and Dwarves, particularly between Sindars and Dwarves (I don't suppose the Sindars were particular about the origins of the specific ones who offed Thingol so imo it would be one heck of a blanket "pfft!"). But there's also a lot of bad vibes between Elves and Men, and so goes the endless cycles. So I agree with MM that hate, in the literal sense of the word, at least among the Free Peoples, is not really a concept in the books. But like you, I also can't agree that there's all this BFF happiness MM says existed for such a long time. Fresh from the Silm, the Dwarves and Elves certainly didn't seem like "
    they have experienced many thousands of years of great friendship" as he said. Except for Eol and Maglin from the Sindars, and Noldors in general (except Caranthir), Dwarves were rather off-ish with Elves, and vice-versa, and it was merely mutual interests that kept them interacting. So I wonder where's the "great friendship" MM says there was. Or you know, we're both missing something serious somewhere along the lineCrazy

In Reply To
    I may be misremembering because I’ve only read FOTR once and that was a whole year ago, but wasn’t Gloin, Gimli’s father at the Council of Elrond? And wasn’t he STILL annoyed about Thranduil having locked him and the other dwarves up all those years ago even DESPITE the fact that some of the Elves, Men, and Dwarves ended up being friends at the end of the Hobbit? I don’t see why BotFA couldn’t end the same way as the book and yet Gloin still holds a personal grudge, like in the FOTR book and passes it down to his son, therefore still giving Gimli a perfectly good reason to say “never trust and elf.”

No, you're right. Gimli didn't say a word during the CoE, book-wise. It was all Gloin. But he was responding to Legolas' account of Mirkwood's humanitarian project called "Feeling Sorry for Gollum", so I can see why he's riled up. And hey, there's the Legolas-Gloin-TH connection!LaughAngelic

Totes agreement on the highlighted.Smile

I find MM's article interesting in listing the different incarnations and inspirations of the Elvenking in the book. But I'm glad the bitsies that I have trouble with are also stuff that others find issue with. I think I mentioned in my reply to vanima in the last thread that MM seemed to be basing his comments of the movie parts on (shaky) memory. Anyway, good stuff, and great to have a chance to babble. Thanks, Eruvandi. *sit back and waits for vanima and mariel to chime in as well*

For relevance, from the king himselfAngelic

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 3:56am

Post #21 of 206 (18424 views)
    Shortcut
         It's interesting how the suggested hint of something [In reply to]  

NB I never got the feeling in LotR that there was any more than just mistrust between the two races – there was certainly no hatred.

just takes on a life of its own doesn't it? For myself, I remember being confused by what's in the movies vis-a-vis the books. There seemed such a lot of antagonism that I did think they hated each other during the theatre run. But when there's the convenience of the discs, I found myself wondering where's the intensity I thought was there.Took me a long time to sort it out, and being mid-Movie trilogy and reading the books wasn't that helpful to the situation.

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Nov 26 2014, 3:59am)

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 4:03am

Post #22 of 206 (18411 views)
    Shortcut
         *Squee* I got my marathon tix! [In reply to]  

unfortunately, am solo on this venture, as expected.Evil Boy, are the seats going fast, but then there's only the one screening.

For relevance (GIFs. Really like how gleeful LP is at the CGI in the second GIF, which I'm seeing clearly for the first time.)

=======

hissuit

Nov 26 2014, 4:32am

Post #23 of 206 (18418 views)
    Shortcut
         New interview? [In reply to]  

I wonder where does this interview come from, is there any source? New Empire Magazine...?

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 4:38am

Post #24 of 206 (18416 views)
    Shortcut
         Various responses to posts in TAXXV [In reply to]  

@on_the_partyelk
    "I just gave me funny images"

In Reply To
    But taking care of a beard would take time away from carefully choosing his royal clothing and fixing his hair, and most importantly sitting hotly on his throne. Cool Though, we also have Thranduil in his spare time aka Lee in his normal clothes but already having Thranduil's hair- BTS material I really dig a lot I must say. Smile

Thank goodness Thranduil has no beard, Thranduil needs no beard!Heart

The BTS of Thranduil/LP are GOLDEN!Heart

"Perfect"
    Ooooh! Nice edit. VValar would love it.Smile

@mariel
    "Well done *claps*"

In Reply To
    Much better than the original imo.Smile

Thanks! I did think Thranduil solo on the cover was perfect too. Too long has he been photo-bombed by his own minions and kiddiesFrown

@BlackFox
    "Wait a minute"

In Reply To
    There was originally someone there with him?! ShockedTongue

*in Bilbo @Smaug's voice* Some-one. Nope, no one there.Angelic

@Eruvandi
    "Yes!"

In Reply To
    Definitely.Smile It seemed like they really had fun together BTS. It would be nice to bring that fun to an interview where they could be in the same room for once instead of having to only talk about each other in separate interviews.

Fingers crossed!

"Lol!"

In Reply To
    Personally, I think it's more likely that being eaten up with evil might have something to do with the missing nose. Just sayin'.Wink

*snert* pirates just are lacking in credit ratingsTongue

"Oh, oh, oh! *waves wildly*"

In Reply To
    Middle Earth reality show where you can date an eligible elven Princeling? I volunteer as tribute!LaughWink

*lol* Well now, unless you have no preference who you get tributed to, do make sure you sign up at the correct booth.Smile Best bring a piccie to avoid any misunderstandingLaugh

"0.0"

In Reply To
    Ooooh.Shocked Not sure how I feel about that one. He kinda looks like a sleazy street magician or something.Crazy

Bwahahaa! methinks the artist was going for suave ballroom dancer.Tongue hmm... maybe MM saw this and that's what gave rise to the street vendor impression he gotCrazy

@VValar
    "Yup although sometimes the mods are quite busy"
    Just LOL at the second one. See, Legolas can deliver! No need to split him at allFrownMadTongueAngelicHeart

"Hey you changed your avatar"

In Reply To
    Who is this little fellow? You might have already told it somewhere in the thread but I still have a lot of catching up to do.

I did! She's our dearly beloved Rheilly. And she is... was quite the little cat. HeartSmile

"Nice edit"

In Reply To
    But this wasn't a new picture, was it? It's an edit of LP standing next to PJ right (or did I miss something)? Still lovely though Heart

Yeah. I believe the source was the same as mariel posted.

And finally, @Eruvandi and VValar's convo on sneaksing stuff in before dernwyn caught you both out: LoL! Having been on the sneaking end by my lonesome self a few times, it's given me much gratification to see it ain't just me with the sneaksing tendencies at the point of threadlockLaughCrazyTongue

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
    Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 4:41am

Post #25 of 206 (18415 views)
    Shortcut
         Nope. not new [In reply to]  

Can't remember the source. The tumblr post didn't cite either. But from memory, either a quote from one of the movie books or an old interview from DoS.

=======

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.