Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Chances of Middle-earth movies in the future?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 10:29pm

Post #1 of 26 (1966 views)
Shortcut
Chances of Middle-earth movies in the future? Can't Post

I am fully prepared for that BOFA will the last Tolkien-related installment on the big screen for a very very long time, but still I can't help thinking about the future.

What do you think? We all know that The Silmarillion and all that stuff is off limits, courtesy of Christopher Tolkien, but what about the stuff between The Hobbit and LOTR? Like, the bridge film that Guillermo del Toro talked so much about. I doubt that PJ & co will ever have anything to do with M-E again, but that does not mean that other filmmakers won't. I for one would be interested in seeing a bridge movie, whatever that may contain.

Also, The Silmarillion. There has been so many discussions regarding the legal mumbo-jumbo about the rights, and I still haven't learned if the rights are frozen forever (because they can't, right? public domain and all that, I'm certainly no expert, rather the contrary... so could someone enlighten me here...?) or not. Maybe it's just wishful thinking, but it seems depressing to think that Tolkien's other works will never come to life on the big (or small) screen in our lifetimes.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Nov 25 2014, 10:31pm)

Name
Rohan

Nov 25 2014, 10:35pm

Post #2 of 26 (1527 views)
Shortcut
A bridge film without PJ [In reply to] Can't Post

Would have to be it's own universe. I wouldn't want to see another director/team of writers try to "continue Jackson's story." Something based on the rise of Angmar, and the Rangers of the North would be great to see in a single self contained film.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

Thrain II
Lorien

Nov 25 2014, 10:41pm

Post #3 of 26 (1494 views)
Shortcut
In the near future small, but... [In reply to] Can't Post

in 10 or so years time, maybe we will see something other from the LOTR appendices, maybe something similar to BFME2: Rise of the Witch-king? Smile Maybe something in the line of forging of the Rings of Power, or fall of Numenor, who knows...
And of course, there will always be remakes of LOTR and Hobbit films, but not that soon. Wink
Considering Silmarillion, Christopher is 90. I don't know if his heirs will continue to hold their rights for that material as he did, but I think it's probably for the best to stay that way, as much as I would like to see Aman and Beleriand on the big screen. Smile

(This post was edited by Thrain II on Nov 25 2014, 10:43pm)

DeadRabbits
Rohan

Nov 25 2014, 10:44pm

Post #4 of 26 (1443 views)
Shortcut
The Mewlips: A horror movie set in Middle-Earth [In reply to] Can't Post

That's something I would like to see!

But like Name said, a movie about Angmar, the WK and the Dunedain of the North is a possibility. I could also imagine stories about a young Aragorn and the War in the North (the northern theatre of the War of the Ring) being adapted into screenplays.

Now now Bill, you swore this was a battle between warriors, not a bunch of miss nancies, so warriors is what I brought

Girdle of Melian
Lorien

Nov 25 2014, 11:15pm

Post #5 of 26 (1423 views)
Shortcut
The Appendices during the last reign of Sauron... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Mirkwood and Lorien were attacked...stories can be built from there...
...The reign of Aragorn and Arwen
...What happened to Thandruil after the War of the Ring...

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 25 2014, 11:15pm

Post #6 of 26 (1433 views)
Shortcut
No Appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

the owner of the rights has to be 70 years dead, so those rights could be use.

But maybe they will make a movie set in middle earth - I could see this work, if its done well and with the spirit of Tolkien.
And the purists won't have anything to moan about, since no one is raping Tolkiens work.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 25 2014, 11:28pm

Post #7 of 26 (1410 views)
Shortcut
I can certainly see 'spin-off' films being a possibilty, or perhaps 'prequels' based on unused elements of the appendices... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am fully prepared for that BOFA will the last Tolkien-related installment on the big screen for a very very long time, but still I can't help thinking about the future.

I'm not entirely clear on the right situation myself, but:

Dosen't the Saul Zanetz company have full rights to The Hobbit and LOTR (including it's characters) for screen adaptations? Given the costly legal battles they have fought to protect their interests, and the inflated cost of The Hobbit films, it seems likely to me they would be open to producing cheaper 'spin off films' as a way of continuing the franchise (admittedly given Jackson made TH more 'epic' than its source material it could be hard to sell a smaller film to an audience) whilst the franchise is still hot, at the end of the day it's a business and they got little to loose.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if WB was already putting together treatments for spin offfs. Franchises and 'shared universes' are all the rage at the moment, and WB has no qualms about stretching out Source Material, JK Rowling is apparently contracted to write a trilogy of films inspired by 'Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them', a 40 page spin off book she wrote nearly 15 years ago.

Much like Harry Potter Middle Earth is a proven money maker, there is little monetary risk in creating spin off films based on relatively thin, but popular source materiel-the audience won't have massive expectations and it would give the filmmaker much greater creative freedom to tell a story (though that of course, would be a problem, creating a three act story to connect the dots in the material).

I can see quite a few potential spin offs:

Aragorn and Arwen's early years (Didn't Peter Jackson film something along these lines for LOTR?)
A professional Hunt For Gollum type film covering his wanderings and the day to day life of The Rangers
Rohan and Gondor Spin Offs-covering their history, kinship and key rulers
The Chronicles of Durin-you could probably squeeze a film or two out of the Appendices material on the Dwarves
A Tom Bombadil Film starring Brian Blessed (OK, that was wish fulfillment on my part)
A Tauriel Spin off
Smaug's early years (A terrible Idea IMO, but I've recently read rumours Sony was planning Spider Man spin offs for Aunt May and Venom...)
Gandalf's wanderings in Middle Earth
A bridge film between LOTR and TH (though that would have to be announced very shortly...)

(Not that I actually want any of these, I'm just being cynical)

Of course that would all depend on anyone having the guts to follow Jackson into Middle Earth whilst the franchise is still hot (I'm also inclined to think a American studio would be tempted to bring production back to the US to cut costs)

As for The Silmarillion, I had a conversation about this on another forum a while ago...and came out just as confused, there doesn't seem to be a clear answer as far as I can tell. I think it all hinges on whether Christopher Tolkien is legally counted as a co-author or not-copyright expires 70 (or 95) years after a author's death, in my copy of The Silmarillion it states 'The J.R.R Tolkien Copyright Trust and C.R Tolkien' 1977'. I think the copyright was renewed in the 2nd edition of 1999 (I may be wrong), and copyright can be renewed under certain conditions

It has been speculated before that Christopher Tolkien may wish to set up the copyright to The Silmarillion in a separate trust and limit the sale of rights, but I'm not sure if that is within his power as literary executor, and I'm not entirely clear on how split copyright such as this would be handled.

In anycase It seems likely to me given The much publicized lawsuits, the dubious 'canonity' of The Sil, and it's mixed reception amongst fans and scholars, the rights are unlikely to be sold anytime soon, it may simply be the hassles and changes a film adaptation bring are not considered worth the effort or time for the rights holders to get inolved with. In anycase, imagine how split the fanbase would be!, The Silmarillion was essentially Tolkien's lifework, a film would have to change or invent so much to bring such difficult material to the masses it could end up alienating the fans and casting the source material in its shadow, the natural thing to do after TH would be to go bigger, I don't think even PJ could command the budget to do The Sil justice.

Voronwë the Faithful is probably the best placed person on this forum in regards to this situation.

Personally I'd be quite happy not to see any cinematic adaptations of Tolkien's Middle Earth writings for the immediate future, though his short stories would be great as animated TV specials and The Lay of Leithian would make a rather bonkers yet brilliant stage show...

(This post was edited by malickfan on Nov 25 2014, 11:37pm)

Hanzkaz
Rohan

Nov 26 2014, 2:35am

Post #8 of 26 (1332 views)
Shortcut
Right now - [In reply to] Can't Post

- I'm more in favour of a War in the North movie series which could show the events of the War of the Ring up North and bring back popular characters such as Thranduil, Galadriel, Elrond as well as the surviving Dwarves and possibly Radagast the Brown.

Secondly, I'd opt for a Witch King set of films involving the intrigue, politics and treachery that led to the fall of the Kings of Gondor and Arnor.

I also wouldn't mind a War of the Ring TV series that portrayed the sheer scope of Sauron's attempt to conquer Middle-Earth. Such a series could take us all across Middle-Earth, return us to places familiar and introduce us to realms never before seen. Maybe we could even get to meet a couple of Blue Wizards.

From the makers of 'The Lord of the Rings' comes the sequel to Peter Jackson's Hobbit Trilogy -
'The War in the North, Part I : The Sword in the Tomb'.

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 26 2014, 2:52am

Post #9 of 26 (1343 views)
Shortcut
My prediction [In reply to] Can't Post

We either get an animated version of these films in the future or an HBO-like tv adaption.

But that would probably be 20 years from now. The original LOTR are so unique in their place in cinema history I doubt anyone will try and touch 'em for awhile unless there's a new gimmick to it.

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Bladerunner
Gondor

Nov 26 2014, 5:00am

Post #10 of 26 (1331 views)
Shortcut
I think a "reboot" of The Hobbit will happen... [In reply to] Can't Post

...before a reboot of "The Lord of the Rings."
Perhaps as soon as 15 years from now.

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Nov 26 2014, 5:19am

Post #11 of 26 (1307 views)
Shortcut
Beornings [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like to see a film focus on Beorn after he becomes a leader of the woodsmen and what happened to them between the Battle of Five Armies and The War of the Ring.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 1:03pm

Post #12 of 26 (1245 views)
Shortcut
The Life and Love of Lobelia and Otho Sackville-Baggins // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 26 2014, 1:46pm

Post #13 of 26 (1231 views)
Shortcut
Ha he, hee, Ha! You WOULD have thought of THAT! HA! // [In reply to] Can't Post

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 26 2014, 2:48pm

Post #14 of 26 (1232 views)
Shortcut
"Tween and Tweener: When Pippin Met Merry" [In reply to] Can't Post

And I can't wait for the Lothlorien cafeteria scene in "When Aragorn Met Arwen".

And speaking of ultimate horror, two words: "Hobbit Babies".

Not all those who wander are lost.

(But that's the way to bet.)

acheron
Gondor

Nov 26 2014, 3:03pm

Post #15 of 26 (1230 views)
Shortcut
The Adventures of Tom Bombadil: The Musical // [In reply to] Can't Post

For instance, on the planet Earth, man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much -- the wheel, New York, wars, and so on -- while all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time. But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man, for precisely the same reasons. -- Douglas Adams

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 26 2014, 5:23pm

Post #16 of 26 (1214 views)
Shortcut
"The Wit and Wisdom of Dora Baggins" [In reply to] Can't Post

based on her collected letters.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Mortimus
Bree

Nov 26 2014, 9:47pm

Post #17 of 26 (1195 views)
Shortcut
The Battle of Greenfields [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd be content with short, even straight-to-DVD movies covering vignettes, myself.

The tale of Bullroarer Took seems to me to have some promise - humour, heroism, a significant-sized battle and a tie-in to the Baggins family line Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 27 2014, 7:15am

Post #18 of 26 (1161 views)
Shortcut
Not to mention the invention of golf! // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2014, 12:39pm

Post #19 of 26 (1160 views)
Shortcut
I was just telling a co-worker [In reply to] Can't Post

That I wondered if Katie Jackson (already a seasoned Middle-earther) would dive into filmmaking. I have the feeling she's been bit-by-the-bug working so much with her Father making these films.

IF there were more films made from the appendices... which is a BRILLIANT idea, imho... I'd really hope that it's done by someone who has been a part of Peter's Process so they're done right!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 27 2014, 3:23pm

Post #20 of 26 (1147 views)
Shortcut
"When Tommy MET Goldy?"... [In reply to] Can't Post

Starring Billy Crystal & Meg Ryan..?

"OU..Ou...OU..

"I'll have?... what SHE izzz Havin.."

FavMovie

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Nov 27 2014, 3:27pm)

davearchibald

Nov 27 2014, 8:51pm

Post #21 of 26 (1150 views)
Shortcut
The Whole Story [In reply to] Can't Post

We would probably have to wait for a while but I would really love to see a TV production of LOTR with the story done in it's entirety- Old Forest, Bombadil, Scouring of the shire et al. A complete re-telling of the book with nothing added or taken out.Wink

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 11:10pm

Post #22 of 26 (1120 views)
Shortcut
Shame about that! Not a golf fan! [In reply to] Can't Post

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 28 2014, 5:03am

Post #23 of 26 (1111 views)
Shortcut
*snigger* Fersher!! :D // [In reply to] Can't Post

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 30 2014, 3:08pm

Post #24 of 26 (1121 views)
Shortcut
Have you heard the BBC radio show? [In reply to] Can't Post

The Hobbit is pretty terrible, annoying voices and terrible music.

But the Lord of the Rings is really fantastic. I recommend grabbing a pair of headphones and listening with your eyes closed. It's surprisingly immersive.

davearchibald

Dec 1 2014, 8:41am

Post #25 of 26 (1095 views)
Shortcut
Radio Rings [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes I loved the BBC LOTR production, I'm old enough to remember listening to it live when it first came out on Radio 4. I agree about the Hobbit dramatization, some puzzling choices esp on pronounciation.Smile

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.