Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Fan Art:
Henneth Annun Archive Closing!

F.Wizard

Nov 14 2014, 11:41pm

Post #1 of 4 (2423 views)
Shortcut
Henneth Annun Archive Closing! Can't Post

Sad news, everyone. Henneth Annun Story Archive ( http://www.henneth-annun.net/ ), one of the oldest and most influential fanfic archives and research centers, is closing due to repeated server hacks. According to the site admin Anglachel:

"The problem is technical and security retrofitting, which would involve new hardware, new server software and then a total overhaul of the application code for HASA itself. This is several hundred hours of work. I don't have that time and the cost to hire someone to do it at current rates is six figures."

The site admins are in the middle of moving all research onto a basic content hoster, and trying to get the stories archived on AO3. Nothing is settled yet, so if you want to have favorite stories around later, please download them now. You can use Calibre + the FanFiction Downloader plugin, or a standalone Fanfiction Downloader program to save fics easily and automatically in ebook format (details here: http://www.henneth-annun.net/forums/messages.cfm?confId=0&forumId=915&messageId=55476 )

Please signal boost this to any friends in LotR, Hobbit or Silimarilien fandom. The official HASA Livejournal is a good place to check for updates and where fic is being archived too: http://hasalj.livejournal.com/

TheHutt
Gondor

Nov 25 2014, 12:08am

Post #2 of 4 (2272 views)
Shortcut
I just got a heart attack... [In reply to] Can't Post

...as our Russian LOTR/Hobbit site is also called Henneth Annun. :)

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Booklet - Custom Booklet Project

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 25 2014, 12:37am

Post #3 of 4 (2303 views)
Shortcut
I'm sorry to hear this [In reply to] Can't Post

I am not a huge fan-fic fan but I did spend some time reading a few stories there in the past.

I especially liked one series so much that I emailed the author to tell her stories. I just checked... I saved off those stories 10 years back.

But I appreciate the heads up because I would have wanted to do so if I hadn't already.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 3:23am

Post #4 of 4 (2297 views)
Shortcut
Oh, I thought this was you!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I assumed it was a part of your site that was closing. I am so glad that it is not.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.