Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Which moment from the books move you the most?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 10:42pm

Post #1 of 66 (1745 views)
Shortcut
Which moment from the books move you the most? Can't Post

If you had to name just one (hard, I know).

For me, I always get something in my eye when Bilbo enters Thorin's tent and he lays there dying, repenting everything he said to Bilbo and finally acknowledging Bilbo's qualities. I guess I just find it so sad that just when this stubborn, greedy character sees the bigger picture and appreciate Bilbo and truly embrace him as a friend, he's gone in a heartbeat. I think it's very powerful writing and probably my favourite part Tolkien has ever written.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Nov 23 2014, 10:43pm)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2014, 1:50am

Post #2 of 66 (1369 views)
Shortcut
If I had to pick one... [In reply to] Can't Post

Right now, the one that sticks in my mind ATM is the point where Faramir dispels Sam and Frodo's fears over his desire for the Ring and his truthfulness.

"I would not take this thing, if it lay by the highway. Not were Minas Tirith falling in ruin and I alone could save her..."

Nice to know that there is a small measure of goodness in Men. Up to this point each and every man has been tempted by the Ring and future failure to resist it is at least implied.

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Cari
Bree

Nov 24 2014, 2:18am

Post #3 of 66 (1341 views)
Shortcut
Contrast of Brothers [In reply to] Can't Post

I always get the image that Tolkien purposely did this to contrast Faramir and Boromir, where one sees the ring as a device to save their home and the other sees it as the cause of their home's destruction.

squire
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 2:25am

Post #4 of 66 (1368 views)
Shortcut
Horns, horns, horns. [In reply to] Can't Post

Even after spending quite a lot of thought on just how the passage works, it doesn't matter.

It sends a chill down my spine. Delicious!

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 2:43am

Post #5 of 66 (1333 views)
Shortcut
And the soon to come.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Charge of Theoden and the Rohorrim never fails to thrill.

I want so much to try and keep up with that old man - but he is ever before me!

"You cannot pass!
You didn't say 'Simon says.'"

Only those in the know will know.

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 3:43am

Post #6 of 66 (1350 views)
Shortcut
One of many: [In reply to] Can't Post

"'I will forget my wrath for a while Éomer son of Éomund,' said Gimli; 'but if ever you chance to see the Lady Galadriel with your eyes, then you shall acknowledge her the fairest of ladies, or our friendship will end.'"

~ From The King of the Golden Hall

Actually I love the whole movement captured in the last few pages of that chapter.

(This post was edited by SirDennisC on Nov 24 2014, 3:44am)

Rembrethil
Tol Eressea

Nov 24 2014, 3:51am

Post #7 of 66 (1335 views)
Shortcut
Yes, I love discussing them and their differences [In reply to] Can't Post

Faramir and Boromir rank among my favourite characters. We had a great discussion of both characters a while ago, and it was great to see the insights and thoughts everyone had.

Here they are if you care to take a look!

Faramir

Boromir

Call me Rem, and remember, not all who ramble are lost...Uh...where was I?

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 7:31am

Post #8 of 66 (1317 views)
Shortcut
Yes, that's the one that gets me: [In reply to] Can't Post

Then suddenly Merry felt it at last, beyond doubt: a change. Wind was in his face! Light was glimmering. Far, far away, in the South the clouds could be dimly seen as remote grey shapes, rolling up, drifting: morning lay beyond them.

But at that same moment there was a flash, as if lightning had sprung from the earth beneath the City. For a searing second it stood dazzling far off in black and white, its topmost tower like a glittering needle: and then as the darkness closed again there came rolling over the fields a great boom.

At that sound the bent shape of the king sprang suddenly erect. Tall and proud he seemed again; and rising in his stirrups he cried in a loud voice, more clear than any there had ever heard a mortal man achieve before:

Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises!
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

With that he seized a great horn from Guthláf his banner-bearer, and he blew such a blast upon it that it burst asunder. And straightway all the horns in the host were lifted up in music, and the blowing of the horns of Rohan in that hour was like a storm upon the plain and a thunder in the mountains.

Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!

Suddenly the king cried to Snowmane and the horse sprang away. Behind him his banner blew in the wind, white horse upon a field of green, but he outpaced it. After him thundered the knights of his house, but he was ever before them. Éomer rode there, the white horsetail on his helm floating in his speed, and the front of the first éored roared like a breaker foaming to the shore, but Théoden could not be overtaken. Fey he seemed, or the battle fury of his fathers ran like new tire in his veins, and he was borne up on Snowmane like a god of old, even as Oromë the Great in the battle of the Valar when the world was young. His golden shield was uncovered, and lo! it shone like an image of the Sun, and the grass flamed into green about the white feet of his steed. For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City.

Yeah, it's a long quote, but so wonderful! The only thing better is hearing Tolkien read it. If you don't have the recordings, you should! There are some lengthy exerpts here. The second one, Lord of the Rings Side 2, is what I'm referring to.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 24 2014, 5:44pm

Post #9 of 66 (1313 views)
Shortcut
"At least she should not die alone, unaided." [In reply to] Can't Post

Éowyn it was, and Dernhelm also. For into Merry's mind flashed the memory of the face that he saw at the riding from Dunharrow: the face of one that goes seeking death, having no hope. Pity filled his heart and great wonder, and suddenly the slow-kindled courage of his race awoke. He clenched his hand. She should not die, so fair, so desperate. At least she should not die alone, unaided.

"Kai provseisi, kai avpeisi."
("There and back again.")
-Heraclitus of Ephesus, c. 500 BC

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Nov 24 2014, 6:52pm

Post #10 of 66 (1282 views)
Shortcut
Mine too and This Especially [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Even after spending quite a lot of thought on just how the passage works, it doesn't matter.

It sends a chill down my spine. Delicious!

This is mine, too. There are few if any greater passages in literature in my opinion. "For morning came, morning and a wind from the sea; and the darkness was removed, and the hosts of Mordor wailed, and terror took them, and they fled, and died, and the hoofs of wrath rode over them. And then all the host of Rohan burst into song, and they sang as they slew, for the joy of battle was on them, and the sound of their singing that was fair and terrible came even to the City."

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 6:53pm

Post #11 of 66 (1280 views)
Shortcut
Thanks Elizabeth... [In reply to] Can't Post

Always worth another read!

Contrast with another favorite – the poignancy of Aragorn’s farewell to Arwen in the appendix.

Excitement or grief, Tolkien writes with a singular beauty....

"You cannot pass!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 7:09pm

Post #12 of 66 (1274 views)
Shortcut
Ah, yes SirD… [In reply to] Can't Post

And their later exchange is priceless.

’Gimli Gloin’s son, have you your axe ready?’
‘Nay, lord,’ said Gimli, ‘but I can speedily fetch it, if there be need.’
‘You shall judge,’ said Eomer. ‘For there are certain rash words concerning the Lady of the Golden Wood that lie still between us….’
…and what say you now?’
‘Alas!’ said Eomer. ‘I will not say that she is the fairest….’
‘Then I must go for my axe,’ said Gimli.
‘….. Shall I call for my sword?...’
‘You are excused for my part, lord… you have chosen the Evening; but my love is given to the Morning….’

"You cannot pass!

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 7:33pm

Post #13 of 66 (1318 views)
Shortcut
It would seem that... [In reply to] Can't Post

I am the only one here being more attached to the characters of The Hobbit than LOTR. Not surprised though, I've always been aware of that LOTR has a higher status as literature and is more popular. If only I could enjoy the story told in LOTR as much as the one in TH...

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 9:27pm

Post #14 of 66 (1276 views)
Shortcut
Merry & Eowyn vs the Nazgul for me too: always moving. [In reply to] Can't Post

The other one that never fails to move me is "Horns, horns, horns...Rohan had come at last." It's because on 1st read, I really did think Minas Tirith was doomed at this low point, and I didn't think Rohan would come in time. All truly seemed lost. So given the despair I felt on 1st read, I never seem to forget the hot blood flowing through my veins when the cavalry arrived to save the day.

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 9:31pm

Post #15 of 66 (1286 views)
Shortcut
Moving point in The Hobbit for me [In reply to] Can't Post

is when Bilbo is in Thranduil's halls and realizes that he's going to have to save the Dwarves on his own. That's a big turning point for him, even more than saving them from the spiders, which happened more quickly and out of necessity of the moment. Something about Bilbo wandering around the Elven halls, safe but wretched, helplessly expecting someone else to bail them out, and gradually steeling his courage to the point where he realized he was the answer (and pulling it off), is a moving passage for me. No longer the squeaky hobbit from Bag End who seemed more grocer than burglar!

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 24 2014, 9:37pm

Post #16 of 66 (1273 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

"Roads go ever ever on
Under cloud and under star,
Yet feet that wandering have gone
Turn at last to home afar.
Eyes that fire and sword have seen
And horror in the halls of stone
Look at last on meadows green
And trees and hills they long have known.”
Gandalf looked at him. “My dear Bilbo!” he said. “Something is the matter with you! You are not the hobbit that you were.”

So very very sad....

Not all those who wander are lost.

(But that's the way to bet.)

squire
Half-elven

Nov 24 2014, 9:49pm

Post #17 of 66 (1290 views)
Shortcut
'The Hobbit' warms me rather than moves me [In reply to] Can't Post

Although I have many 'favorite lines' from the book, I realize on reading your response to this thread that none of my favorite lines are the kind that send a chill down my spine (Horns! or... 'Why have you neglected to report for so long?'), or move me to tears ('Are you going to bury me?' or 'suddenly he beheld his sister Eowyn as she lay').

Anyway, this is probably my all-time favorite line from The Hobbit:
'But what about delivery? What about cartage? What about armed guards and tolls?'

squire online:
RR Discussions: The Valaquenta, A Shortcut to Mushrooms, and Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit
Lights! Action! Discuss on the Movie board!: 'A Journey in the Dark'. and 'Designing The Two Towers'.
Footeramas: The 3rd & 4th TORn Reading Room LotR Discussion and NOW the 1st BotR Discussion too! and "Tolkien would have LOVED it!"
squiretalk introduces the J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia: A Reader's Diary

= Forum has no new posts. Forum needs no new posts.

ElanorTX
Tol Eressea

Nov 25 2014, 1:16pm

Post #18 of 66 (1262 views)
Shortcut
Another one of many: Sam's anguish [In reply to] Can't Post

The passage in which Sam decides what to do after Frodo apparently dies is one of the most emotional and revealing. Revenge? Suicide? Carrying out the mission?

"I shall not wholly fail if anything can still grow fair in days to come."

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 1:34pm

Post #19 of 66 (1256 views)
Shortcut
I too love The Hobbit. . . [In reply to] Can't Post

but I can think of no favorite lines or events when compared to LOTR.

I know we’re talking books here but it has been mentioned by several that they will probably tear-up at the (movie) funeral scene of Thorin. This is one example of where there will always be somewhat of a schism between readers and watchers.
I could never (book) get close to Thorin. He starts out as a bumbling fool falling over other Dwarves. He is a leaderless complainer throughout most of the book, relying on Bilbo to take the lead and the risks; and so illogical and lustful at the end. I’m sure he was brave during BOFA, but I just have little more feeling for his death than for Fili or Kili.

Now compare the death of Thorin to the parting of Arwen and Elessar (as I mentioned above). They are just incomparable!

As you say The Hobbit is ‘warm’ and fuzzy, whereas LOTR is ‘moving’ in various ways. The two books are not comparable, nor (I think) were they intended to be such.

"You cannot pass!

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 1:46pm

Post #20 of 66 (1250 views)
Shortcut
Another favorite [In reply to] Can't Post

is when the Three Hunters meet Eomer’s eored and Aragorn gives his ‘dozen’ names and titles, then: ”Aid me or thwart me, choose swiftly!” You got to love it!

Also the ‘Tolkien Twist’ where Elessar banishes Beregond is done so cleverly.

"You cannot pass!

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 3:40pm

Post #21 of 66 (1248 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

To each his own - I liked book-Thorin a lot more than book- Aragorn.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 25 2014, 4:37pm

Post #22 of 66 (1272 views)
Shortcut
It looks like I'm the first to go with a scene from The Silmarillion [In reply to] Can't Post

Then Fingon the valiant, son of Fingolfin, resolved to heal the feud that divided the Noldor, before their Enemy should be ready for war; for the earth trembled in the Northlands with the thunder of the forges of Morgoth underground. Long before, in the bliss of Valinor, before Melkor was unchained, or lies came between them, Fingon had been close in friendship with Maedhros; and though he knew not yet that Maedhros had not forgotten him at the burning of the ships, the thought of their ancient friendship stung his heart. Therefore he dared a deed which is Justly renowned among the feats of the princes of the Noldor: alone, and without the counsel of any, he set forth in search of Maedhros; and aided by the very darkness that Morgoth had made he came unseen into the fastness of his foes. High upon the shoulders of Thangorodrim he climbed, and looked in despair upon the desolation of the land; but no passage or crevice could he find through which he might come within Morgoth's stronghold. Then in defiance of the Orcs, who cowered still in the dark vaults beneath the earth, he took his harp and sang a song of Valinor that the Noldor made of old, before strife was born among the sons of Finwë; and his voice rang in the mournful hollows that had never heard before aught save cries of fear and woe.

Thus Fingon found what he sought. For suddenly above him far and faint his song was taken up, and a voice answering called to him. Maedhros it was that sang amid his torment. But Fingon climbed to the foot of the precipice where his kinsman hung, and then could go no further; and he wept when he saw the cruel device of Morgoth. Maedhros therefore, being in anguish without hope, begged Fingon to shoot him with his bow; and Fingon strung an arrow, and bent his bow. And seeing no better hope he cried to Manwë, saying: 'O King to whom all birds are dear, speed now this feathered shaft, and recall some pity for the Noldor in their need!'

His prayer was answered swiftly. For Manwë to whom all birds are dear, and to whom they bring news upon Taniquetil from Middle-earth, had sent forth the race of Eagles, commanding them to dwell in the crags of the North, and to keep watch upon Morgoth; for Manwë still had pity for the exiled Elves. And the Eagles brought news of much that passed in those days to the sad ears of Manwë. Now, even as Fingon bent his bow, there flew down from the high airs Thorondor, King of Eagles, mightiest of all birds that have ever been, whose outstretched wings spanned thirty fathoms; and staying Fingon's hand he took him up, and bore him to the face of the rock where Maedhros hung. But Fingon could not release the hell-wrought bond upon his wrist, nor sever it, nor draw it from the stone. Again therefore in his pain Maedhros begged that he would slay him; but Fingon cut off his hand above the wrist, and Thorondor bore them back to Mithrim.

- Of the Return of the Noldor

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 25 2014, 6:31pm

Post #23 of 66 (1245 views)
Shortcut
Now that you bring that up... [In reply to] Can't Post

Then Fingolfin beheld (as it seemed to him) the utter ruin of the Noldor, and the defeat beyond redress of all their houses; and filled with wrath and despair he mounted upon Rochallor his great horse and rode forth alone, and none might restrain him. He passed over Dor-nu-Fauglith like a wind amid the dust, and all that beheld his onset fled in amaze, thinking that Oromë himself was come: for a great madness of rage was upon him, so that his eyes shone like the eyes of the Valar. Thus he came alone to Angband's gates, and he sounded his horn, and smote once more upon the brazen doors, and challenged Morgoth to come forth to single combat. And Morgoth came.

The way the rhythmic charge comes to an end with those three thudding words at the end is masterful.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 25 2014, 6:35pm

Post #24 of 66 (1218 views)
Shortcut
Goose bumps! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 6:50pm

Post #25 of 66 (1228 views)
Shortcut
And for me [In reply to] Can't Post

The the spell of silence fell from Beren, and he called to her, crying Tinuviel: and the woods echoed the name. Then she halted in wonder, and fled no more, and Beren came to her. But as she looked on him, doom fell upon her, and she loved him;..(My bold)

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
But, sneaking off in daylight takes much more cunning.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.