Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 21 2014, 10:07pm

Post #26 of 51 (584 views)
Shortcut
Mockingjay part 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw Mockingjay part 1 on Wednesday. It was okay but not really more than that. I think it was a bad idea to split the last movie because it didn't feel like anything really worthwhile happened in this first part. In terms of production value it was a well made movie with mostly good acting (apart from Jennifer Lawrence's occasional over-acting) but I might as well have watched it on TV.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 12:01am

Post #27 of 51 (566 views)
Shortcut
No, haven't read the book [In reply to] Can't Post

but I think I heard it's a bit more serious than the movie? The movie tended towards light-hearted goofiness, which worked fine for me, although it probably would be nice to have interaction with more characters.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 2:49am

Post #28 of 51 (561 views)
Shortcut
Sundown [In reply to] Can't Post

1941. Adventure story in British East Africa, not particularly memorable, except for Gene Tierney. Heart In a belly dancer costume. Sly

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 3:34am

Post #29 of 51 (576 views)
Shortcut
Mockingjay: Part I [In reply to] Can't Post

Finally, for the first time in weeks, got out to the movies! Cool So unlike me to stay away for so long. Wink

I went to see the first part of Mockingjay, which I really enjoyed. I suspect there will be quite a few critiques of the film objecting to the splitting of the book into two parts - but I had no issues with this other than the fact that it sucks having to wait a year for the second half. That's one heck of an intermission. Unsure

But I found the film wonderfully gripping all the same. And sooo dark. Smile

And, of course, it was wonderful seeing Philip Seymour Hoffman again. Frown I'm going to miss his screen presence terribly when we no longer have new films of his.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2014, 3:44am

Post #30 of 51 (570 views)
Shortcut
Yep. I enjoyed Inception but I think Interstellar is better, [In reply to] Can't Post

and has more substance. But Interstellar is clearly causing a hard divide among viewers - it seems people love it, or like it up to a certain point, or are bored to tears.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 22 2014, 3:47am)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2014, 3:44am

Post #31 of 51 (560 views)
Shortcut
Ah you've seen it! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOVE that episode! :D

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 4:06am

Post #32 of 51 (572 views)
Shortcut
I'm excited to see Mockingjay [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought Catching Fire was an excellent movie, both in terms of its adaptation and in its own right. I think the director did a magnificent job, and so I'm sure he'll do as well with the third book. I've only read the book once (two years ago) so I'm quite fuzzy on the details. As such, I'm really just looking to watch a great movie. I've read reviews that criticize the movie for splitting and what this does for the ending, but I don't care about that. It's obvious to me from what I've read about the film that parts one and two are quite literally two halves to one story. Sure, as you say, the intermission will be grueling, but once the films are sitting on my shelf, that won't be a problem. In this way they're quite like the Deathly Hallows films - neither really is meant to be seen without the other. I consider that to be one four-hour film, and I'll do the same for Mockingjay.

I'm seeing the movie this weekend. I look forward to posting my thoughts about it afterward.

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 4:14am

Post #33 of 51 (565 views)
Shortcut
The Deathly Hallows comparison is spot on. [In reply to] Can't Post

The two are very similar in that they are, as you said, really four hour epics split in half. As such, I thought Mockingjay: Part I was a great first half. The year wait is only disappointing for me because, for some reason, I was expected Part II to come out sooner than next November. I guess I wasn't paying attention and I thought it would be coming out next summer or something (like Deathly Hallows). I'm sure it'll be worth the wait though. Smile

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 4:19am

Post #34 of 51 (565 views)
Shortcut
Nolan sets the bar pretty high [In reply to] Can't Post

... my daughter loved Inception, but she liked Interstellar a bit more as well. It seems I'd better catch it before Mockingjay pushes it out of theatres entirely. Thanks for all the comments.

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 4:30am

Post #35 of 51 (562 views)
Shortcut
Exactly [In reply to] Can't Post

Since it's obviously one long movie, I don't understand the reviews that complain about this aspect. But am I right I'm thinking that the critics didn't like this about Deathly Hallows 1 either? I just think the lesson would have been learned to treat this movie as what it is - the beginning of a story. Does it do a good job settling up the finale? And is it engaging while doing this? That's all I'm looking for out of the movie, and from what I've read, I don't expect to be disappointed.

It's funny, I actually think that the final two Harry Potter books follow the same structure. I read all the books after the seventh one came out, and when I was reading the sixth, it was apparent that that book's main purpose was to set up the final book. I like that sort of dependence and interconnectedness between stories in a series, though - another reason I think I'll be fine with Mockingjay 1.

(This post was edited by Ardamírë on Nov 22 2014, 4:31am)

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 4:45am

Post #36 of 51 (550 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

I personally don't hold it against a critic if they are unsatisfied with a two hour film that is really the first two hours of a four hour film in disguise. Many of them just aren't approaching this from the same angle as other viewers might be. Whether that's fair or not is open to interpretation, but at least it's obvious where their beef is. I'm fine with negative reviews so long as I can ascertain what they didn't like and whether it's going to be a factor in my viewings. In this case, it's not.

I think Deathly Hallows Part I was little more warmly received as a first part than Mockingjay has been (I think the sequence near the end provides a bit more of a "crowd-pleasing" mini-climax than Mockinjay has), but it was definitely far below the great reception Part II got (which is no surprise, give that Part II is essentially the climax to Part I's set-up).

- Viggo Mortensen

Advising Elf
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 6:47pm

Post #37 of 51 (548 views)
Shortcut
A sad comment on sci-fi. [In reply to] Can't Post

...I thought Nolan did a good job mixing the SF with the human drama.

It's sad that this statement has to be made about a science fiction movie. It is telling of the poor quality of science fiction that is out there.

I think it was Theodore Sturgeon who said: "Good science fiction is good fiction." You shouldn't have to say, "
Nolan did a good job mixing the SF with the human drama." to say it was a good sci-fi movie. That should be redundant.

There are good science fiction movies out there, that people don't recognize as sci-fi because they
did a good job mixing the SF with the human drama.
"Charly" and "The Boys from Brazil" come to mind.

Note: This was not a criticism of your comment on the movie (I haven't seen it), nor of you, Ataahua. Just in case.

Link to Youtube video about my daughter's book: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCo-bF0u8xI

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2014, 6:56pm

Post #38 of 51 (535 views)
Shortcut
I agree with you. [In reply to] Can't Post

You could say the same about fantasy, a lot of horror, etc - when a filmmaker gets hung up on the 'cool stuff'' at the sake of the story you get a mediocre film or one that appeals to a narrow audience. I'd argue that LOTR was a break-out fantasy film because the story grabbed people and didn't let them go - the giant leap forward in FX was a delicious icing on the top.

Ataahua's stories

Patty
Immortal

Nov 22 2014, 7:29pm

Post #39 of 51 (532 views)
Shortcut
Excaliber... [In reply to] Can't Post

I watched this because I have been listening to the Once and future king on the BBC iPlayer. I listen to that iPlayer for many hours every day and night. So, I went to watch Excalibur. I had forgotten how many British stars are in that, and how weird and wacky it gets near to the end. Nevertheless, all it really accomplished was making me want to watch and listen to Der Ring des Nibelungen's Götterdämmerung again. Sly

Permanent address: Into the West

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 1:09am

Post #40 of 51 (532 views)
Shortcut
Nolan went a little further - [In reply to] Can't Post

mainly bouncing off Advising Elf's comment here.

When I think of good sci-fi (or at least sci-fi that I like) I think of The Day of the Triffids and The Chrysalids... as for movies, 28 Weeks Later and Splice.

I would add Interstellar to my list because of its realism, its denunciation of arrogance and dishonesty in the scientific community, and yes, because of its human drama. On this last point, the movie is somewhat a product of our times but it didn't feel contrived -- being the father of a daughter I would cross the universe for, this is not a complaint.

I liked it quite a lot, thanks again for the recommendation!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2014, 3:38am

Post #41 of 51 (513 views)
Shortcut
Excellent! I'm glad you enjoyed it. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Ataahua's stories

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 5:10am

Post #42 of 51 (514 views)
Shortcut
Revenge of the Musketeers [In reply to] Can't Post

1996. Sophie Marceau is adorably charming as d'Artagnan's daughter. Humor is subtle and French. Characters are very French. I like this one a lot, undoubtedly the best next generation musketeers movie.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

Kim
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 7:36pm

Post #43 of 51 (495 views)
Shortcut
Snowpiercer [In reply to] Can't Post

So this one was, hmmm, ummm, interesting. Rather violent, and depressing. Fairly interesting story, it does keep your interest (if you can make it past the violence).

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Nov 23 2014, 8:21pm

Post #44 of 51 (498 views)
Shortcut
Just watched 2014 movie "Belle" [In reply to] Can't Post

on Netflix and it is an incredible period drama....true story and so well done it needs an academy award...
just a thought...since slavery (by all races) was status quo for thousands of years of human history...our current outlawing of it is a modern "social experiment" or has the human race truly taken a huge leap in evolution?

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 10:17pm

Post #45 of 51 (506 views)
Shortcut
Tangled... [In reply to] Can't Post

haven't seen it in ages. It was on television yesterday in the wee hours of the morning. I like all the characters, but I love the horse, Maximus. He's not necessarily a bad horse, just misunderstood. And I find Mother Gothel an excellent villainess. At first I thought that she was some kind of witch, but if that were true, wouldn't she just conjure up some spell in order to keep herself young instead of trying to harness the magical qualities of a plant? And what can I say about Flynn Ryder: "I have got to get me one of these!" he's of course referring to the frying pan Rapunzel brought with her to use as a weapon. Where have I heard that line before? Oh yeah, Will Smith's character said it in Independence Day when he was flying the alien spacecraft up to the mother ship.

I also finished with all the bonus discs of the Extended Edition of DoS. One of my favorite featurettes was when RA (dressed as Thorin) attempted to lead us through Erebor towards the forges (which of course, weren't there). He doesn't even do that in my backstory fan fic, since it's the dwarf that he appoints as Marida's personal protector that lead both her and her father through the mountain kingdom, not Thorin himself. I'll post my comments on the Extended Edition of DoS in a future post.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 3:54am

Post #46 of 51 (488 views)
Shortcut
The Crown and the Dragon [In reply to] Can't Post

2013. Generic medieval fantasy with sorcerors, rogues, paladins, and dragons. Low budget shows in cut rate CGI, but other than that, it's a surprisingly watchable movie.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 6:17am

Post #47 of 51 (471 views)
Shortcut
And there it is! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, that was quite an entertaining episode. Although I do have to say overall, this season is rather dark. And again, poor Ty. Frown

Old Toby
Grey Havens

Nov 25 2014, 6:42am

Post #48 of 51 (486 views)
Shortcut
Mockingjay part 1 [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read the books and really enjoyed them, and I liked the first two films. I thought initially that splitting the last book into two films was unnecessary, but after having seen what was done, I have no problem with it. No, it's not the action-packed movies that the first two were, because they don't include another Hunger Games and because this one sets up the stage for the upcoming war between the Capitol and the people of the Districts. It was more about emotional conflict than physical conflict, and I am fine with that.

Jennifer Lawrence is a terrific actress, and does well again as usual in this one, and I was so happy to have Effie Trinket back. And Haymitch - loved the little exchange between Effie and Haymitch about his drinking...or lack of it in this case! LOL!

The story takes it's time being told, probably because they could, and I'm glad they included little details that they might have left out had they made only one film, such as Katniss singing the Hanging Tree song. And Prim's nasty cat. Perhaps as a book fan, I appreciated the movie more than those who might not have read them, I don't know.

I certainly enjoyed the movie. Makes me want to go re-read the book too.

"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good." Harry Dresden (Jim Butcher)

EomundDaughter
Lorien

Nov 25 2014, 9:44pm

Post #49 of 51 (463 views)
Shortcut
Trailer for Jurassic World [In reply to] Can't Post

is out and this movie should be really good...

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 26 2014, 5:53am

Post #50 of 51 (480 views)
Shortcut
Birdman [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't like dark comedies. I don't like R-rated movies. I don't like movies about actors putting on a show. I don't like gimmicky camera work. I don't like percussion scores. I don't like ambiguous endings. I really don't like old guys walking around in tighty whities. Crazy
And in spite of all that I liked Birdman. It drew me in, amused me, entertained me, and occasionally nauseated me, but it never bored me.
Now I want to see Birdman IV: Rise of the Phoenix.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.