Help with musical themes

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 6:56pm

Post #1 of 11 (600 views)
Shortcut
Help with musical themes Can't Post

Hey!

I LOVE the music for these movies, especially what I've heard from BO5A so far (in the samples, and the recently posted Ironfoot track).

Question is- does anyone have a breakdown of individual characters' themes?

I am curious, especially with that Ironfoot track, whose theme appears where- it could give an indication of what is happening during that point in the score Laugh

Yes, I am desperate for spoilers Tongue

JamesPaganini
Rivendell

Nov 23 2014, 6:59pm

Post #2 of 11 (421 views)
Shortcut
Ironfoot [In reply to] Can't Post

will be played during the credits after the Last Goodbye.

Not all those who wander are Lost

Darkness must pass. A new day will come and when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 7:11pm

Post #3 of 11 (387 views)
Shortcut
I understand [In reply to] Can't Post

but doesn't the soundtrack have the extended music on it as well?

Ironfoot could potentially (or some themes within it at least) be used in an EE scene for BO5A, for example, therefore is listed at the end- unless there is a completely separate soundtrack with the EE score on it?

I bought the LOTR soundtracks several years ago, but I haven't yet acquired the funds for TH soundtracks Blush So I'm not sure if there's only one with all music, or a TE and EE version like the dvds...

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 23 2014, 7:33pm

Post #4 of 11 (365 views)
Shortcut
Ironfoot [In reply to] Can't Post

Is a suite of major themes in the film intended to play over the credits, and does not score any scenes. Up until about 2 minutes we have Dain's theme, then a heroic rendition of Girion's theme, then a new theme relating to Bard, then some kind of Bard/Laketown theme (the exact names for these aren't yet known), and finally a choral rendition of the Laketown theme as heard in DoS. I believe that's all the major themes featured in the track.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 7:38pm

Post #5 of 11 (345 views)
Shortcut
Seems to be the case [In reply to] Can't Post

Which worries me because I don't think I want to live in a universe where "Ironfoot" is not the score that accompanies a sea of Dwarves riding War Sheep at full speed onto the battlefield.

I cannot imagine how any alternative score could be better for that moment. Crazy

* crunch *

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 23 2014, 7:39pm

Post #6 of 11 (361 views)
Shortcut
Listen to the 90-second sample of 'Battle for the Mountain' [In reply to] Can't Post

It features a no-less rousing rendition of Dain's theme, albeit with pipes.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 8:32pm

Post #7 of 11 (305 views)
Shortcut
cheers, I looked it up [In reply to] Can't Post

It sounds good but I feel the bagpipes version is so much better :{

* crunch *

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 23 2014, 8:45pm

Post #8 of 11 (310 views)
Shortcut
Themes [In reply to] Can't Post

Check the exclusive content section for AUJ and DOS on my Hobbit Soundtrack website (link in footer) :)

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

(This post was edited by Earl on Nov 23 2014, 8:45pm)

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 9:44pm

Post #9 of 11 (266 views)
Shortcut
Just checked it out, and I still have a question [In reply to] Can't Post

Why, if Ironfoot is a credits track, is it extended in the special edition?

Surely they'd only have a couple extra names, if any, than the TE version listed in the credits? It seems as though all the other tracks with asterisks are extra scoring for extended scenes, but if the credit length doesn't change, then how could more music play- on a black screen at the end?

Edit: I just thought of something- what if the TE doesn't have the character sketches during the credits, but the EE does? That could explain the discrepancy if there is a slight extra second with each drawing, especially considering how many characters we have in these films (that does beg the question- how much longer is the special edition Ironfoot track than the regular edition?)

That would suck to not see the sketches in the theater though, but I can see why it would be left for the EE....

Faleel
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 10:10pm

Post #10 of 11 (242 views)
Shortcut
Because [In reply to] Can't Post

#1 it is probably cut for listening experience.

#2 a minute is missing.

Earl
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 24 2014, 11:47pm

Post #11 of 11 (172 views)
Shortcut
I don't know that I can be of any help [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to me (based on my knowledge of the LOTR soundtrack editions) that it's very possible the Ironfoot track is not related in any way to the actual end credits music for BOFA. It's probably just an extra track they've included on the BOFA soundtrack disc to boost it's appeal (with a slightly longer version on the Special Edition to make it seem, um, "special").

The Hobbit Soundtracks - Being an online archive of information concerning Howard Shore's score for The Hobbit films.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.