Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will Radagast be nothing more than a plot device in film 3?

Radagast-Aiwendil
Gondor

Nov 23 2014, 1:38pm

Post #1 of 3 (614 views)
Shortcut
Will Radagast be nothing more than a plot device in film 3? Can't Post

How important do you think he will be in this last film?

I was very disappointed by Radagast's role in DoS. Granted, he didn't warrant any more screen time than he received (given that Gandalf's plotline was secondary as it should be, and also given that Bilbo and Thorin needed all the screen time they received). Nevertheless despite being given an important task he was little more than Gandalf sidekick in film 2, despite the fact that, whether you like him or not, his character was notably developed in AUJ. The result being that the average viewer will have remembered him vividly from film one and will have forgotten him somewhat by the end of film two.

Somehow, given a) his role in DoS and b) his complete absence from the trailers for BotFA, I am not convinced that his role, other than as a plot device, will be important in any way. Sure, he brings help to Gandalf and the Grey Wizard gets his staff, but beyond that what else will he do? If he fights in Dol Guldur then the filmmakers have carefully hidden him so far. I know the supposed spoiler stuff that emerged recently on this forum (which apparently comes from somebody who has been reliable in the past) indicates that Radagast is fairly insignificant, so this too makes me have doubts, regardless of whether it is true or not.

Thoughts?

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."-Gandalf

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 2:07pm

Post #2 of 3 (358 views)
Shortcut
He is a fairly pointless character [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd have preferred that his screentime had been given to develop a dwarf or two.

Going off on a tangent here, but related...

I think PJ has largely failed to make us care about important characters in this trilogy, which is a shocking misfire.

I mean Kili and Fili should have been major characters (because of what happens to them), but all I can remember of Kili is two rubbish scenes with Tauriel - and Fili's role is dreadful - they've done nothing to elevate his importance/screentime beyond that of Oin, or Bifur.

When you think that the Master of Laketown's invented sidekick, Alfrid, has had much more to do in these films than half the dwarves, then you can see how things have gone a little bit off...

Crazy

* crunch *

(This post was edited by Crunchable Birdses on Nov 23 2014, 2:10pm)

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 2:21pm

Post #3 of 3 (347 views)
Shortcut
R-A... 4 Theories [In reply to] Can't Post

1. He even might Bring! Galadriel to Dol Guldur
on hiz Sled (He already haz transported Gandalf that way)

After the conflict,Radagast leaves to Create another
Staff at hiz Home...with Thrainz body
on hiz Sled.

3., Azz he Zzooms through his Forest
He lifts of "Spell of Evil", Killing off all the Spiders?

4. Then.. drives Thrainz body to the Mountain
SSOoo..All the
Fallen Line of Durin iz
FINALLY...buried together

THAT way
Raddy does hiz Duty to hiz
Realm first?

Bom doez NOT want to see him Fight
Since that iz NOT what an Ol' Hippy Wizard would do.

bom
Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.