The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
What's next for PJ?

StarGodziller
Bree

Nov 23 2014, 12:19am

Post #1 of 24 (1857 views)
Shortcut
What's next for PJ? Can't Post

Obviously aside from the second TINTIN movie. And will DAM BUSTERS be directed by him or Christian Rivers? I'd love to see Jackson make a World War II movie. He has just the right epic sensibility and would balance the combat and interpersonal drama well plus I'd love to see Weta recreate WWII arms and Weta Digital do epic dog fights and such.

I would love to see PJ make a live action adaptation of the anime ATTACK ON TITAN and I think, given his horror routes and love of monsters, it would be way up his alley stylistically. I'm also kind of disappointed Spielberg is making Roald Dahl's THE BFG and not Jackson, with Jackson's love of ghoulish humor I think Dahl would be a match made in heaven for PJ, especially that story which I think PJ had some interest in the past.

Weta was attached to a live action adaptation of the anime NEON GENESIS EVANGELION and did some design work for it 10 years ago, but that project is dead now because of legal red tape. Apparently ADV, who had the US movie rights, really wanted Jackson to direct that but I suspect Jackson probably wasn't interested. If that project ever gets out of pre-production hell I think Neill Blomkamp might get the job given his connections to Jackson and Weta and dystopian sci-fi being his forte.

Also, given Disney is going to milk the STAR WARS franchise as much as they can, would Jackson be a good choice for a future STAR WARS? I'd certainly love to see anything STAR WARS as imagined by Weta.

(This post was edited by StarGodziller on Nov 23 2014, 12:31am)

Lord_Lucan
The Shire

Nov 23 2014, 12:44am

Post #2 of 24 (1256 views)
Shortcut
Mortal Engines [In reply to] Can't Post

I would like him to have a go at adapting the Mortal Engines series, by Phillip Reeve. Gigantic predatory traction cities, rumbling across post apocalyptic eurasia devouring each other for resources. It would make a brilliant and epic film series, and I think it'd be perfect for PJ and Weta's detail-orientated approach to film-making.

AshNazg
Gondor

Nov 23 2014, 12:46am

Post #3 of 24 (1267 views)
Shortcut
Nothing 'big' [In reply to] Can't Post

I think PJ wants to take a rest from the big action set pieces and monsters, he's said that he and Fran are looking into smaller stories based in New Zealand, similar to Heavenly Creatures. There's also Dam Busters and Tintin, and I'm hoping he's still interested in Bad Taste 2.

What I wonder is: Will he be filming these smaller drama projects in HFR 3D? Or does he reserve that technology for the big action blockbusters? It'd be interesting to see how 3D could be used in a quieter movie.

StarGodziller
Bree

Nov 23 2014, 12:52am

Post #4 of 24 (1209 views)
Shortcut
Good question... [In reply to] Can't Post

"What I wonder is: Will he be filming these smaller drama projects in HFR 3D? Or does he reserve that technology for the big action blockbusters? It'd be interesting to see how 3D could be used in a quieter movie. "

I'm wondering the same thing myself.

StarGodziller
Bree

Nov 23 2014, 1:21am

Post #5 of 24 (1170 views)
Shortcut
Also, yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

Another gore film like BAD TASTE or BRAINDEAD would be awesome, though I have my doubts he'll ever return to making that kind of movie. Still, imagine intestines flying out of the screen in HFR 3-D!

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 1:42am

Post #6 of 24 (1210 views)
Shortcut
I think he's a large-scale film-maker now [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What's next for PJ?

Given that he hasn't made an original film of an original screenplay based on an original idea in nearly 20 years (his last was "The Frighteners" in 1996), I think you're probably on safe ground bandying around "Dambusters", "Tintin" etc...

Add to that the fact that his last foray into 'smaller' films ("The Lovely Bones") didn't go down too well with critics overall and I think you're right - we're looking at:

A) something large-scale
B) an adaptation / re-make

I'd put money on it Tongue

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

StarGodziller
Bree

Nov 23 2014, 2:15am

Post #7 of 24 (1154 views)
Shortcut
Here's the... [In reply to] Can't Post

Live action EVANGELION art Weta did if anyone hasn't seen it. I think it kind of screams Neill Blomkamp.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/16790

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 3:01am

Post #8 of 24 (1136 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm... [In reply to] Can't Post

Probably will go back and add more cgi to the lotrs films...

StarGodziller
Bree

Nov 23 2014, 3:10am

Post #9 of 24 (1117 views)
Shortcut
Thankfully... [In reply to] Can't Post

He's kind of denied that he has plans to do that sort of thing. I wouldn't be surprised if LOTR gets a re-release soon though converted to 3-D. I'd bet either 2016 for the 15th anniversary of FELLOWSHIP or starting in 2021 for the 20th anniversary. The one Lucas-style change I could see Jackson making is replacing Ian Holm in the prologue with Martin Freeman. We'd still all go see it, of course.

sycorax82
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 3:27am

Post #10 of 24 (1159 views)
Shortcut
I doubt he will direct the Tintin sequel now [In reply to] Can't Post

If PJ hadn't ended up doing TH I'm sure he would have directed Tintin but it doesn't seem to me like the kind of project he would take on now.

The fact that he's mentioned The Dambusters a few times recently points towards that being his next big film. Though my guess is Fran and Philippa have already been working on a draft of this smaller NZ story they're thinking of doing.

As for Mortal Engines... it's a massive project that I can see coming 5 years, or so, down the line. Though Peter should produce it rather than direct. I want to see Robert Zemeckis direct it!

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 8:14am

Post #11 of 24 (1040 views)
Shortcut
Bad Taste 2! [In reply to] Can't Post

Derek Lives!

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2014, 10:54am

Post #12 of 24 (987 views)
Shortcut
Crossing fingers for Tintin 2! // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 11:30am

Post #13 of 24 (1006 views)
Shortcut
Will probably never happen, but [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd love to see PJ directing the Game of Thrones movie that is being discussed right now.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 11:37am

Post #14 of 24 (978 views)
Shortcut
A good rest, I should think! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 1:11pm

Post #15 of 24 (964 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones [In reply to] Can't Post

God no! No Peter Jackson in Westeros, please! He is too childish for that series!

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 8:45pm

Post #16 of 24 (889 views)
Shortcut
Yep... [In reply to] Can't Post

He would ruin Westeros like he has ruined Middle Earth!

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 9:06pm

Post #17 of 24 (879 views)
Shortcut
Westeros is already ruined by the hacks known as D&D. // [In reply to] Can't Post

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

Intergalactic Lawman
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 11:41pm

Post #18 of 24 (875 views)
Shortcut
Really? [In reply to] Can't Post

How so? I think they have done a fantastic job... The only issue I have is when they recast parts and make no attempt to have the actors even look similar ugh

StarGodziller
Bree

Nov 24 2014, 12:37am

Post #19 of 24 (854 views)
Shortcut
No on GOT for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson has done enough epic high fantasy for one career, IMO. He'd kind of be repeating himself doing GAME OF THRONES. I'd like to see him make epic, but varied projects and take us to some cinematic worlds we've never seen before. Which is why I think a live action ATTACK ON TITAN film series would be a good choice for PJ.

painjoiker
Grey Havens

Nov 24 2014, 1:57am

Post #20 of 24 (849 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones is already ruined by George R. R. Martin // [In reply to] Can't Post

Vocalist in the melodic metal band Betomast
and the progressive doom rock band Mater Thallium

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 24 2014, 3:42pm

Post #21 of 24 (852 views)
Shortcut
At the Mountains of Madness [In reply to] Can't Post

Negotiatons over financing between Universal and del Toro broke down because del Toro was pushing for an R-rating. I can see Jackson stepping in and helping sort out things for del Toro as producer.

Universal also has rights to the 35 year old script of the very dark and bizarre sci-fi The Tourist. H.R. Giger did the aliens and other aspects of design. People who've read the script describe it as the greatest scifi film never made, but the extremely overt sexual nature may be too much for PJ. (Basically a story about interstellar sexual tourism.)

WB does have the rights to the anime classic Akira. Plenty of horror fuel there. And motorcycles.

"Kai provseisi, kai avpeisi."
("There and back again.")
-Heraclitus of Ephesus, c. 500 BC

FoundEntwife
Rivendell

Nov 25 2014, 3:04am

Post #22 of 24 (802 views)
Shortcut
Well [In reply to] Can't Post

if he does, at least fans have our pick of the version of films we want.

This tale grew in the telling. . .

http://pencilword.blogspot.com

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 27 2014, 12:44pm

Post #23 of 24 (771 views)
Shortcut
A nap and a long vacation ;) [In reply to] Can't Post

And maybe a visit to TORn's Oscar Party!!! :D

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Nov 27 2014, 11:39pm

Post #24 of 24 (777 views)
Shortcut
Wasn't there some talk about him doing a Dr Who story? [In reply to] Can't Post

(This post was edited by Hamfast Gamgee on Nov 27 2014, 11:40pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.