Bard/Tauriel 'zine cover + bit of fun (;

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 9:12pm

Post #1 of 18 (1308 views)
Shortcut
Bard/Tauriel 'zine cover + bit of fun (; Can't Post

Because the Valar knows BOFA...

...will be awash in MISERY (except of course for aspirin companies, paper goods companies, therapists, liquor stores, WB, and the Star Wars folks who will be be trying to capture the attention of the Middle Earth contingent. IMO laser swords just don't compare to hairy guys with axesFrown)

But nobly keeping our spirits brave:

http://www.filmink.com.au/latest/

Tho *cough* once again, timeless and ETERNAL questions raise their scaly headsShocked - HOW COME TAURIEL MERITS A COVER? WHY IS BARD A RE-HASH SHOT? WHERE IS THE HOBBITFrown? AND MOST OF ALL, WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE FILI????!!!!!!Mad

Inquiring minds want to know! but we were able to GLEAN some answers from the cast:

Sir Ian, having become a musical 'Net sensation, is currently on a world tour - we'll be lucky if we see him at ANY premiere. Rumor has it
extra security was hired to keep the fans off, tho Captain Picard offered to simply blast them from the Enterprise....

The King Under the Mountain was SUPPOSED to be on the cover, but his exit from a cab caused a 73-car pile-up at a major intersection. Last we knew, a military cargo helicopter was being brought in to extricate the Lord of Silver Fountains from the horde of hair-crazed fangirls (well, mostly females, anyway.). The military was contacted after wildlife biologists irritably pointed out that there really ARE NOT eagles the size of planes, not since the Cretaceous era.Mad

"I was able to sneak out the back with my ELVISH POWERS, and nobody messes with a dragon. Sorry Luke ol' boy..."

Too true.Cool

And FINALLY!

"Well, the thing is, I really appreciate the love and concern of the fans. It's just at my last 'con,
the fans have gone all out for Aidan and me, and it'd be rude to abandon them for a photo shoot."

"Thorin said he'd handle it, being the king and all - a shame about the hair riot. Aidan?
He's around somewhere...some fans wanted to "show him something" and there was a lot of
gigglingAngelic."

"Would you like a drink? - they have this epic fountain and all. Like the fountains at
Rivendell, except it's really POTENT sacred water...like Entish stuff. Makes your hair
grow and curl tho with dwarves that's pretty much a given except for Dwalin.Evil "

Anyway, if you are in Australia I guess you can pick this issue up. Here in the U.S. I'll have to see if they issue some "collectible" issue from someone, they seem to issue collector editions for just about everything. Cool

(This post was edited by Avandel on Nov 22 2014, 9:17pm)

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 11:03pm

Post #2 of 18 (657 views)
Shortcut
I was looking at some VERY nice pictures of Fili tonight.... [In reply to] Can't Post

and I thought of you. Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 11:35pm

Post #3 of 18 (619 views)
Shortcut
*grins* I am SO greedy [In reply to] Can't Post

But there just seems to be this TILT in some of our universes re the PR - almost has a cadence to it like:

Seven stones and seven stars and one white tree...

Thorin, Fili and Kili, golden and dark, the Heirs of Durin...
Not quite *cough*, but still *grins*Cool.

Tho happily I am getting a healthy "Durin fix" from the EE, and anyway re
the final cut of BOFA, who can say? Feel free in the future to say "told you so",
depending on how things play out.WinkCool

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 12:22am

Post #4 of 18 (605 views)
Shortcut
Nice, Avandel [In reply to] Can't Post

That's not a real cover of a magazine, is it? Would be very odd if they featured Tauriel on magazine covers at this stage especially (having done their worst before DoS) in favour of THE important characters…Unimpressed

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 2:37am

Post #5 of 18 (575 views)
Shortcut
Yes it's real [In reply to] Can't Post

The OP provided a link to the magazine's website. Tauriel and Bard ARE important characters in BOTFA.

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

(This post was edited by DwellerInDale on Nov 23 2014, 2:37am)

TricksyHobbitses
The Shire

Nov 23 2014, 3:44am

Post #6 of 18 (549 views)
Shortcut
Living in NY right now I can understand getting out of a cab with your sword drawn! [In reply to] Can't Post

Woe betide the maniac courier or triple-parked delivery van that dares to hinder the journey of Thorin Oakenshield. And may no one ever find out what happened to the SUV limo that tried turning through the crosswalk when the Company had the light.

The Balrog has wings, but it isn't capable of flight. It's basically a kiwi, only bigger. And on fire.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 4:44am

Post #7 of 18 (541 views)
Shortcut
I was just watching some LOTR appendices [In reply to] Can't Post

last night, and saw the part where Viggo was talking about taking his sword everywhere, including out to Sunday lunch. The local police found that slightly unusual. Laugh

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 9:07am

Post #8 of 18 (526 views)
Shortcut
What a strange looking cover [In reply to] Can't Post

That cover would look so much better with just Bard on it, and it would make much more sense too. Tauriel looks very out of place lurking behind him, especially as these two have really nothing to do together. But I guess it goes with the theme of putting her where she doesn't belong, just like the whole movie.

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 12:16pm

Post #9 of 18 (496 views)
Shortcut
Yes, agree with you there [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
That cover would look so much better with just Bard on it, and it would make much more sense too. Tauriel looks very out of place lurking behind him, especially as these two have really nothing to do together. But I guess it goes with the theme of putting her where she doesn't belong, just like the whole movie.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 5:32pm

Post #10 of 18 (444 views)
Shortcut
ROFLOL! - thanks for this!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Woe betide the maniac courier or triple-parked delivery van that dares to hinder the journey of Thorin Oakenshield. And may no one ever find out what happened to the SUV limo that tried turning through the crosswalk when the Company had the light.

*Grins* I live in an urban area too - thanks to this post we some of us now have ALTERNATIVE uses for those replica weapons on the wall. And definitely for me there are areas where exiting "weapons ready" would simply be PRUDENT.CoolCoolCoolCoolCool

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 6:02pm

Post #11 of 18 (443 views)
Shortcut
LOL!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bwwwaaah!LaughLaughLaugh

Well, as an image lover - tho I've already complained about itFrown - for the LAST of the ME films I really was expecting a LUSH series of images for a PR campaign. Any hopes of that have been thoroughly ground into the ground with iron-shod feetUnimpressed...IMO AUJ ended up with the best PR IMO on that score.Unimpressed

What can I say? IMO re the trailers and TV spots there's way too much Tauriel for a character who quote EL (more or less) "wasn't a main character tho significant" but that "George Washington crossing the Delaware hero" boat image in a TV spot REALLY bugs me (like Fili, who served as a sort of scout for the Company, and Bofur, couldn't figure their way of town esp. when the whole town is on a LAKEMad).

That's a whole different thread I guess but impossible to say as these trailers are just clips out of context, and think a lot of good stuff rightfully is kept back.Unsure Have to wait and see, but at the end of the day the "Foward" button on a remote is a wonderful thing.Cool

It'd be nice to think (for me) that on top of the companion books, like for Star Wars one day there would be a lavish, beautifully produced retrospective with all the images I would hope to see - instead of these quickie, inexpensive Photoshop jobs on 'zine covers. I remember running around last year making special trips to a bookstore, and so far this year there is no reason to bother!Frown

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 6:17pm

Post #12 of 18 (440 views)
Shortcut
theory about that scene [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't mind Tauriel overly much (though I do have a few gripes with her, namely the ridiculously long hair and utter lack of military protocol in her actions) but she does end up in odd places sometimes, like the magazine cover.

BUT- with this shot, pieced with a couple of other images that seem to show the same event, I think it makes sense.

Perhaps Fili and Bofur are too busy making sure Kili and the girls get on the boat safely....we have seen a few images very similar to that one but from the side where Kili's head appears to be in Sigrid's lap, and Fili seems to be ducking down behind her as though he's shielding someone (maybe Tilda?). I wouldn't want Kili to be completely and totally cured to 100% efficiency ten minutes after the healing scene (even Frodo still needed a few days to recover after Elrond, the greatest healer in ME, healed him)- I'd at least want him to be a bit slower on his feet than he normally would be, especially since the last time we saw him he was still deliriously rambling. And we've seen a few shots of him walking through the Desolation, IIRC, and he still has a walking stick at that point. He probably needed help getting into the boat.

Plus, Tauriel, by simple virtue of being an elf, has the keenest eyes- maybe she's in front to make sure that no wreckage (or people in the water) are going to impede the boat, fall on it, or sink it (or maybe she's dragon lookout)?

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 7:09pm

Post #13 of 18 (425 views)
Shortcut
agree - and to be fair [In reply to] Can't Post

Especially:

I wouldn't want Kili to be completely and totally cured to 100% efficiency ten minutes after the healing scene (even Frodo still needed a few days to recover after Elrond, the greatest healer in ME, healed him)- I'd at least want him to be a bit slower on his feet than he normally would be, especially since the last time we saw him he was still deliriously rambling. And we've seen a few shots of him walking through the Desolation, IIRC, and he still has a walking stick at that point. He probably needed help getting into the boat.

Plus, Tauriel, by simple virtue of being an elf, has the keenest eyes- maybe she's in front to make sure that no wreckage (or people in the water) are going to impede the boat, fall on it, or sink it (or maybe she's dragon lookout)?

I mean, Tauriel is THERE, with the dwarves, and re the TV spots, so far an early speculation of mineCrazy seems to have been torpedoed, e.g. that perhaps Legolas would break off chasing Bolg and go back for Tauriel...

It would be silly and out of character IMO for either dwarves or Tauriel to leave the children, since both races tried to protect them "take your children and get out of here..." + the fighting etc.

Totally agree Kili would not be 100% as "poison in the blood" I imagine takes a while to recover from, elf magic or no, and re the TV spots in some shots Kili still looks pale to me.

Hmmm, interesting, perhaps a tag effect of sorts of the poison IS that Kili will never quite be the same againUnsure, not exactly like Frodo at all, but like some after-effect of a very bad reaction, as it was many hours before Kili was treated (tough dwarves!!!). E.g. perhaps more moody, more likely to lose it with Thorin...

It's just re the trailer, banner, etc. feels like SO MUCH TaurielUnimpressed, and while the filmmakers may or may not expand the part, and that's the way it is, whether the audience or parts of the audience are joyful about that is something else of courseUnimpressed.

For me it's not even a question of canon - well, it's a lot of things, but at the moment re TV spots, for one thing it's offensive (to me) to have it appear (at the moment) that Tauriel is more of a presence than Legolas! Or equal in weight to Thranduil as a character, or Bard, and more than most of the dwarvesFrown.

But I am trying to keep the lid on those "insidious thoughts" as I DID fret a lot re DOSShocked, and I got my dwarves, Bilbo, Smaug, and the DOS EE is even betterHeart. And if I had to put out a trailer for an eager fan community I would certainly be trying my hardest to keep a lid on the juiciest stuff.Shocked

These covers - so far, few if any seem to be working that hard - *sigh*. I'm glad I collected re AUJ and DOS what I could, when I could. But IMO it is still early yet.Unsure

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 23 2014, 7:20pm

Post #14 of 18 (420 views)
Shortcut
marketing is narrow minded as a whole [In reply to] Can't Post

Tauriel may have been exceptionally popular amongst "non-book" fans (like Legolas was back in the day, or so I heard, as I didn't know about Tolkien back then) so they may be utilizing her for marketing to get the general audiences' rear ends in the seats.

WB knows that the established fandom (who are still into TH movies) are going to show up regardless. It's the general audience who go "hey, that sounds like a great way to kill a couple hours" that they need to reel in.

Their marketing sucks, but we on TORn can be a wee bit biased to some extent regarding book to movie variations Evil As a whole, Tauriel may have gleaned more interest amongst the overall audience, so they're going with her.

Or it could simply be "everyone knows elves are cool, so let's put them in there, and we gotta have the girl elf in more because we need to tick boxes and look PC" Crazy

At any rate, marketing may or may not be a reliable indication of how much actual screen time she has within the movie itself....she can't be nearly absent otherwise it would break up anything used to build her up in DOS (affects the film continuity) but she shouldn't have more screen time than she needs to wrap up the loose ends left after DOS, IMHO.

Look at the elf-centric marketing for DOS- and then count out how much screentime she actually ended up with compared to the whole movie- it really isn't that much (especially if you factor in the EE). Though I would be curious as to the actual number stats for EE screentime for each character in each film....should be interesting Smile

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 8:14pm

Post #15 of 18 (406 views)
Shortcut
Too true [In reply to] Can't Post

Look at the elf-centric marketing for DOS- and then count out how much screentime she actually ended up with compared to the whole movie- it really isn't that much (especially if you factor in the EE). Though I would be curious as to the actual number stats for EE screentime for each character in each film....should be interesting Smile

Yes, this is why I simmered down after actually seeing the film, for the most part. I still think no matter how well EL has done, by adding an additional elf, male or female, stretched what could have been handled by Legolas, easily - which will always be a sore point with me, in that I can so easily see a richer, more complex script for himUnsure. Unlike the expansion of Alfrid, which I think worked really well and gave the Master someone to play offHeart.

But it's done now, and anyway things LOL could have been so much worseShocked - there is no end to the horrors filmmakers can inflict upon a tender, innocent, unsuspecting audienceWink - who, based on budget alone, may leave a theater in shock and despair over the hours of their life they will never get back (e.g. Last Airbender, After Earth, the last 3 Musketeers...Evil)

I'd be interested in if a given marketing strategy WORKS e.g. puts butts in seats, surely someone is looking at thisUnsure? At least from wandering the 'net re DOS, far as I can tell there was a lot of interest in Beorn, Smaug, then Thranduil, and the "female elf" thing wasn't really causing raging interest - I suspect because by now we have lots of strong female heroines of one sort or another. It's not novel.Unimpressed

But that's just an impression - and re a general audience think WB is rightfully targeting a battle w. overwhelming odds, it's a readily understandable theme.

marillaraina
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 9:48pm

Post #16 of 18 (396 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Tauriel may have been exceptionally popular amongst "non-book" fans (like Legolas was back in the day, or so I heard, as I didn't know about Tolkien back then) so they may be utilizing her for marketing to get the general audiences' rear ends in the seats.

WB knows that the established fandom (who are still into TH movies) are going to show up regardless. It's the general audience who go "hey, that sounds like a great way to kill a couple hours" that they need to reel in.

Their marketing sucks, but we on TORn can be a wee bit biased to some extent regarding book to movie variations Evil As a whole, Tauriel may have gleaned more interest amongst the overall audience, so they're going with her.

Or it could simply be "everyone knows elves are cool, so let's put them in there, and we gotta have the girl elf in more because we need to tick boxes and look PC" Crazy

At any rate, marketing may or may not be a reliable indication of how much actual screen time she has within the movie itself....she can't be nearly absent otherwise it would break up anything used to build her up in DOS (affects the film continuity) but she shouldn't have more screen time than she needs to wrap up the loose ends left after DOS, IMHO.

I think Tauriel was popular with non-book fans. If people will recall - she got good notices in a lot of the non-fan reviews. I've seen a lot of posts in various places say their non-fan friends or siblings really liked her. So it does make sense to use her in the marketing.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 23 2014, 11:45pm

Post #17 of 18 (378 views)
Shortcut
Odd that we don't take that point to the next stage. [In reply to] Can't Post

So those who haven't read the book found the character interesting and engaging, yet a goodly number of fans are enraged and disparaging when it comes to the sane character.

Can we formulate any views on why there is this disparity?

DwellerInDale
Rohan

Nov 24 2014, 1:00am

Post #18 of 18 (381 views)
Shortcut
The reason is pretty transparent [In reply to] Can't Post

The reviewers and those who hadn't read the book based their view on how Tauriel's character appeared in the movie, and how Evangeline Lilly played her. Among Tolkien fans, on the other hand, there was a faction that objected to her character from the first, since Tauriel is (more or less) "non canon". There is even a website called "Tolkien Fans Against Tauriel", which was created long before anyone had seen a single frame of DOS. That's the very definition of prejudice. It seems that the majority of book fans, however, simply reserved judgement until they'd actually seen the movie, and thus many of their reactions were quite positive.

So those who haven't read the book found the character interesting and engaging, yet a goodly number of fans are enraged and disparaging when it comes to the sane character.

Can we formulate any views on why there is this disparity?

Don't mess with my favorite female elf.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.