The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: The Arena:
Thorin vs Aragorn

Holly Hobbit
Bree

Sep 26 2014, 7:31pm

Post #1 of 11 (23963 views)
Shortcut
Thorin vs Aragorn Can't Post

The king without a kingdom in The Hobbit vs the king without a kingdom in The Lord of the Rings... who would win in a fight, and why?

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 5:58pm

Post #2 of 11 (23966 views)
Shortcut
Surely you jest? // [In reply to] Can't Post

* No I don't, and don't call me Shirley! * Smile

"Excuse me, excuse me. What does God need with a Starship?
James T. Kirk --S.T. V

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Sep 29 2014, 6:55pm

Post #3 of 11 (23355 views)
Shortcut
Seriously though... [In reply to] Can't Post

Aragorn may have never met Thorin. (Was a young Aragorn present when the 13 Dwarves passed through Rivendell?) Aragorn was ten years old when Thorin died.

But I understand your question, and if both were of maturity Aragorn would easily cleave an already short Dwarf.

Aragorn wins! Wink

James T. Kirk --S.T. V

Wilros
The Shire

Oct 2 2014, 9:07pm

Post #4 of 11 (23242 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn FTW! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Aragorn may have never met Thorin. (Was a young Aragorn present when the 13 Dwarves passed through Rivendell?) Aragorn was ten years old when Thorin died.

But I understand your question, and if both were of maturity Aragorn would easily cleave an already short Dwarf.

Aragorn wins! Wink

I agree. Aragorn had much more combat experience and lived through all of it (Raid of Umbar, Battle of the Hornburg, Battle of Pelennor Fields, Battle of the Morannon). Thorin didn't survive the Battle of 5 Armies. Also, I don't see how Thorin could drive off 5 Ringwraiths, something that Aragorn did accomplish.

Loresilme
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 7:54pm

Post #5 of 11 (23227 views)
Shortcut
What if we gave Thorin some mithril armor? [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree Thorin is nowhere near as skilled in battle as Aragorn. So how about if we gave Thorin some dwarven armor, say we made it entirely of mithril (why am I suddenly picturing the Michelin Man?? CrazyLaugh). Would that have any effect Try to even it up here a bit Wink.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Oct 3 2014, 9:59pm

Post #6 of 11 (23466 views)
Shortcut
WOW! Worth more than The Shire and everything in it !! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
What if we gave Thorin some mithril armor?

James T. Kirk --S.T. V

phij2
Rivendell

Oct 23 2014, 4:05pm

Post #7 of 11 (23585 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn... [In reply to] Can't Post

for defs has way more battle-savvy skill than ThorinCrazy

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 4 2014, 12:32am

Post #8 of 11 (23122 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn [In reply to] Can't Post

But I like Thorin more as a character (I do like both!).

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 7:36pm

Post #9 of 11 (23315 views)
Shortcut
Aragorn probably, [In reply to] Can't Post

But I think it would depend on the context/date of the fight, if it were Thorin in his prime (with the desire for revenge not dulled by age or arrogance), with his livelihood or family threatened I think he would give Aragorn a run for his money, though the strength and Blood of a Numeorean would win out in the end.

This sounds like the basis of an grim fan fiction, it would be a weird day in Middle Earth if the two kings in exile ever did meet and proceeded to punch each other...

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Dec 14 2014, 3:59am

Post #10 of 11 (23027 views)
Shortcut
Ah, but [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
it would be a weird day in Middle Earth if the two kings in exile ever did meet and proceeded to punch each other...

as has been mentioned, they may well have met in 2941 when Aragorn was ten yrs. old, and had a "punch" together.WinkWink

“Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
But, sneaking off in daylight takes much more cunning.

malickfan
Gondor

Dec 14 2014, 6:59pm

Post #11 of 11 (23272 views)
Shortcut
I'm sure there's some fan fiction out there that covers this possibilty... [In reply to] Can't Post

Part of me would have liked a cameo of Estel in AUJ, perhaps him and Thorin could compare beards...

Wink

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.