Favourite orch of the six movies?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 2:49pm

Post #1 of 30 (3421 views)
Shortcut
Favourite orch of the six movies? Can't Post

Which is the best orch villain of the ME saga?
It seems likely that Azog will kill four major characters (Thror, Thorin, Fili, KIli) which makes him the ultimate orch badass in this world. Not even the Nazgul, Witchking, Saruman or Sauron manage to do that! Lurtz comes close, disposing Boromir in humiliating fashion and giving Aragorn a tough fight. Bolg and Gothmog have an imposing presence but Gothmog are easily killed and Bolg fights well but doesn´t seem likely to get any major kill.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 3:06pm

Post #2 of 30 (2963 views)
Shortcut
Favourite orc? Rated by how many good characters they kill? [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry, but I think we're on different planets. I don't like orcs - any orcs!

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 3:25pm

Post #3 of 30 (2877 views)
Shortcut
Ditto // [In reply to] Can't Post

"There's distraction buzzing in my head,
Saying in the shadows it's easier to stay.
But I've heard rumors, of true reality.
Whispers of a well-lit way.

When the world has fallen out from under me,
I'll be found in You, still standing.
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
When time and space are through.
I'll be found in You."
~Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2014, 3:37pm

Post #4 of 30 (2887 views)
Shortcut
Lurtz has my vote [In reply to] Can't Post

because I found him the scariest by far.

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

King_horse
Bree

Nov 22 2014, 3:43pm

Post #5 of 30 (2886 views)
Shortcut
Lurtz should have survived Fellowship [In reply to] Can't Post

They should have used him as the uruk leader at helms deep and have his confrontation with aragorn take place there. The LOTR really needed some recurring main orc villain.

Skaan
Lorien

Nov 22 2014, 3:45pm

Post #6 of 30 (2887 views)
Shortcut
Narzug! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think he has the most unique and interesting design out of all the orcs so far. I also like his dialogue and voice when he's being interrogated by Thranduil.

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 4:08pm

Post #7 of 30 (2848 views)
Shortcut
HARD to pick one... [In reply to] Can't Post

1. Gothmog (Eowym & Aragorn take him down)

Un-Named "Skull Head Guy" "Late azz Usual,
Get off your Boat..?) Before our Three
jump him w/ the Ghost Army...

3. Saruman RAT.."What about Their Legzz,?.. They Don't Need Them.."
played by Jed Brophy

4. Sarumanzz ORC "What does the Eye... say my Lord..?"
..."Double Nose-Ring" Slave..?

5. Morgul Host Captain that almost catchzz Frodo & Sam
in Mordor...
"White-Eyed" BRUTE Baddie?

6. Warg Rider (Also played by Jed) "He took a little Tumble.."
then Croakz..Under Leggy

7. "Olympic Torch" Guy who runz hiz Suicide Mission
at Helmz Deep..
Blazzzztin' a Huge Hole in the Deepening Wall.

8. BUT...Then of course,There IZZalwayzz... The GoblinKING!
FOR the WIN!

Goblinzz ARE Orczzzzzzzzzz.. according to Tolkien

bom

CrazyCrazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 4:42pm

Post #8 of 30 (2838 views)
Shortcut
This guy [In reply to] Can't Post

He's quite handsome for an orc, don't you think? Tongue

Fàfnir
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 4:44pm

Post #9 of 30 (2817 views)
Shortcut
I'm gonna go with the obvious and say Azog [In reply to] Can't Post

Design wise he's the best. I just hope he got some good lines in BoFA like he does in the LotR Appendices, his dialogues have been a bit week in the first two films

Retro315
Rivendell

Nov 22 2014, 4:54pm

Post #10 of 30 (2810 views)
Shortcut
Re [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurtz was really cool. I don't think it's just because of his intimidating demeanor, large size or even his being a sort of stepping stone character - he's clearly expendable, there for Aragorn to heroically slay someone slightly more than a faceless extra, someone with dialogue and evil purpose. Plus the fight itself was epic, with Boromir's last stand and then Aragorn's Hail Mary play. Better still because the whole point of Lurtz is to be like "uh, that's great, but Saruman has a whole army of these bastards!"

Azog's been stealing the show, though, for me. I'm certainly of the purist mindset that Azog might as well have just been called Bolg, but even so, appearance-wise, he fits more with my own imaginary mind's eye version of what Orcs would be, looks more like my old high school sketches. I like that they finally had reason to dress an enemy in "Barbarian" style garb, I really dig the wolf, fur, claws nature of his kit and he's the essential warg-rider - his warg-riders make Saruman's little pack of southern warg-riders look penny ante by comparison.

The ur-Orc if ever there were one. Azog's not a heel to be nerfed to make the hero look good and the villain's forces seem tougher, he's the alpha. Special mentions to Shagrat and Gorbag, though - they were exactly how I imagined them.

I really dig that bug-eyed Moria orc that was featured prominently in the Fellowship trailers, too. Also, and this just struck me - anyone else remember the early promo photos of Fellowship that there was an image of Moria arcs running across fields in daylight? I wonder if that means Jackson filmed some footage of them hunting the Fellowship outside the caves prior to the entrance into Lorien.

Orc Berserker
Bree

Nov 22 2014, 5:45pm

Post #11 of 30 (2803 views)
Shortcut
Here are mine: [In reply to] Can't Post

From LOTR:

Lurtz - Every scene he is in is awesome, from his 'birth' all the way to his brilliant fight with Aragorn.

The Berserker Uruk Hai - I love the design for these guys, and the one that blows up the wall at Helm's Deep is an absolute hero! One of my favourite moments from all 3 films.

Ugluk - "Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!"

Shagrat - "Im gonna bleed you, like a stuck pig!" I've met Stephen Ure, and he is awesome!

Gothmog - "Grond will break it..." He had some pretty awesome moments in ROTK.

Random Orc worth a mention - The One-Eyed Orc that checks the rabble in Mordor. The one that Frodo and Sam start a fight to get away from. "Move along scum!" He was great.

From The Hobbit:

Azog - I do prefer some of his earlier concepts, but I think he is a great character and Manu Bennet plays him very well.

Bolg - Had a great fight with Legolas, looking forward to seeing him do some damage in the next film.

The close ups of the Orcs marching at Dol Guldur in DOS I thought were very good. Old school prosthetic orcs in heavy armour. They looked like they mean business.

I really hope we see some great orcs in the next film. There is a screengrab from one of the TV spots of an Orc charging the dwarves with armour on and he seems to have glowing eyes?! Anyway he has a cool design. See my Avatar (that's him!)

(This post was edited by Orc Berserker on Nov 22 2014, 5:47pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 5:59pm

Post #12 of 30 (2767 views)
Shortcut
Agreed [In reply to] Can't Post

Lurtz had a physically and design far more imposing than the Orcs in later films, imo, he looked more like an animalistic man than a deformed goblin like those in TT or ROTK, and to me was more imposing as a result, although it was clear he was a Man in a Suit Lawrence Makoare was great.

I found his demise a little weak to be honest (the swordfight was good, but the beheading felt like a step too far...), but I'm glad they didn't drag out his story, sometimes less is more...

I haven't really found any of the other Orcs to be that memorable, though I quite like Azog's design (despite loathing his inclusion in the Hobbit Trilogy), even if it does cause unwelcome reminders of the engineers from Prometheus. It would have been nicer to see the Original design of Bolg in action (even if I can understand Jackson's decision to jettison it.).

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 6:37pm

Post #13 of 30 (2746 views)
Shortcut
"Hands off that shiny shirt...that's mine!" [In reply to] Can't Post

Runk Snusgrop
Rivendell

Nov 22 2014, 6:38pm

Post #14 of 30 (2731 views)
Shortcut
Re: [In reply to] Can't Post

I always liked the one in ROTK who went "CATAPULTS!". The one who looked like Jim Carrey in How The Grinch Stole Christmas. Always thought that was a female orc for some reason.

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 7:37pm

Post #15 of 30 (2725 views)
Shortcut
"...Moria arcs running across fields in daylight? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder if that means Jackson filmed some footage of them hunting the Fellowship outside the caves prior to the entrance into Lorien.

Yes, orcs were filmed chasing the Fellowship to the edge of Lothlorien, but it wasn't used in the movie. I don't know why I know that bit of trivia Crazy, so I hope someone else can find you a source. FOTR EE appendices?

Bolg was fascinating in AUJ. I had no idea he was cg. His expressions were completely believable and Manu's acting shone through.

Lurtz was more of a deadly silent killing machine. Very menacing, also very believable. I have yet to see the entire 'killing of Lurtz' scene. Eeew.

I don't like orc stuff much. I skip orcish music tracks on the cd's. The costuming and prosthetics are wonderful, but not why I like to hang out in Middle-earth. Laugh

Lord_Lucan
The Shire

Nov 22 2014, 8:15pm

Post #16 of 30 (2697 views)
Shortcut
Azog and Lurtz are the best [In reply to] Can't Post

For me at least, I really like these two. I love the swaggering arrogance of them.Azog edges out Lurtz for top spot though, as Azog actually feels like he has a history and a driving purpose, while Lurtz is a killing machine, only a few weeks old at the most when you think about it. Azog in contrast is ancient.

Manu bennet plays Azog really really well. I don't really care that Azog wasn't like this in the book, I just really like what they are doing with him. Bolg at the moment feels like a new Lurtz at the moment, but I'm hoping the third will remedy this somewhat.

If there is one thing missing in the portrayal of the hobbit orcs, I tihnk it is more Azog/Bolg interactions, and more a sense that they are father and son. I think it would be neat to have a dark parallel to the other father and son relationships of the heroes.

I also like the twisted irony that Bolg in the movies seems to listen to his father's words more than Thorin or Legolas heed their respective fathers' instructions so far. Thrain tells Thorin not to engage Azog, and he does,a nd thranduil tells legolas to find then bring back Tauriel, but instead he helps her in her hunt. Bolg's a daddy's boy! Wink

Lissuin
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 8:24pm

Post #17 of 30 (2686 views)
Shortcut
Geez! I meant Azog! [In reply to] Can't Post

Bolg was fascinating in AUJ. I had no idea he was cg. His expressions were completely believable and Manu's acting shone through.

Blush
I should eat breakfast before posting!

Eldaria
Rivendell

Nov 22 2014, 10:25pm

Post #18 of 30 (2660 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Orc [In reply to] Can't Post

Mine is the freakishly-impish tiny little goblin-like orc, (sitting in a basket that runs along a zip line), in the Goblin Caves.
Does he have a name?

“There are some things that time cannot mend. Some hurts that go too deep ... that have taken hold.”

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 10:41pm

Post #19 of 30 (2648 views)
Shortcut
orch? [In reply to] Can't Post

AZOG THE DEFILER

The flames of war are upon you..

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 11:00pm

Post #20 of 30 (2641 views)
Shortcut
And so far from [In reply to] Can't Post

Orchland?

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 22 2014, 11:03pm

Post #21 of 30 (2617 views)
Shortcut
*heee* / [In reply to] Can't Post

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 11:30pm

Post #22 of 30 (2614 views)
Shortcut
Lol [In reply to] Can't Post

I wonder what was the original line?

The flames of war are upon you..

Joe20
Lorien

Nov 22 2014, 11:35pm

Post #23 of 30 (2632 views)
Shortcut
This design is by far my favourite.... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://i.imgur.com/xn5EFhU.png

But my favourite actual orc "character" is definitely Lurtz.

(This post was edited by Joe20 on Nov 22 2014, 11:35pm)

Bishop
Gondor

Nov 23 2014, 4:37am

Post #24 of 30 (2573 views)
Shortcut
any orc but THIS guy [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 4:51am

Post #25 of 30 (2554 views)
Shortcut
I'm not sure if there was an original line, [In reply to] Can't Post

or if he just made one up to be silly. Laugh
I laughed when I read some of the comments under the YouTube clip. A lot of people didn't seem to actually get it, because they didn't know there was a place called Auckland in NZ.

The footage seems to be from when Gandalf went to see Saruman in FOTR, so maybe they were discussing the new development of the Uruk-hai?

On a side note, I always wish there was more than just that tiny blooper reel around. I love the helicopter flying up behind Sean Bean.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.