3D HFR for last time?
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 10:20am

Post #1 of 32 (1087 views)
Shortcut
3D HFR for last time? Can't Post

It seems the experiment with HFR has been a failure. Too many donīt like it. I wonder if we will see it again or if the trial dies with The Hobbit.
I like HFR. Sure, it looks very different, more smooth, more like the animations in a computer game if you like. But I love the idea to make film as realistic as possible, more like watching something live or out of a window. I think if people watched HFR films for a year they would get used to it and would never want to change back to an obsolete visual presentation.
How many will (like myself) watch Hobbit: BOFA in glorious 3D HFR?

utku
Rivendell

Nov 22 2014, 10:52am

Post #2 of 32 (684 views)
Shortcut
That's the saddest part IMO [In reply to] Can't Post

I loved HFR. I think it looks incredible. It may be argued that Hobbit was not the right movie to experiment with it perhaps but it's been succesful as many theatres converted to digital. So while we may not see a movie in HFR 3D in the upcoming years, at least a director would be able to show it if he decides to shoot.

(This post was edited by utku on Nov 22 2014, 10:52am)

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 11:02am

Post #3 of 32 (637 views)
Shortcut
I'll watch it in 48 HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

That's the best format as far as I'm concerned.

I've never seen animations in a computer game, never having watched a computer game, but all I can say is that the sharpness and quality is excellent in the 48 HFR.

It is possible that it might have been better to leave the format for another film, because its introduction may be one of the reasons why ME looks so different in the Hobbit films compared with the LotR films.

Lieutenant of Dol Guldur
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 12:11pm

Post #4 of 32 (603 views)
Shortcut
Well we still have James Camerons "Avatar" sequels to come [In reply to] Can't Post

James Cameron is a huge fan of HFR and he already announced that all of his three AVATAR sequels will be shot in HFR. I also read somewhere that Andy Serkis' ANIMAL FARM will be shot in HFR as well.

So is it dead? No. Just developing. And I'm glad about it. Especially since I want to see Pandora in HFR. Wink

"There is only one Lord of the Ring, only one who can bend it to his will. And he does not share power."

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 12:36pm

Post #5 of 32 (554 views)
Shortcut
Ditto Lieutenant [In reply to] Can't Post

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 1:24pm

Post #6 of 32 (522 views)
Shortcut
Thritto. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 1:41pm

Post #7 of 32 (534 views)
Shortcut
After checking Dolbyzz website 16 major [In reply to] Can't Post

Filmz Released next year have "Atmos" sound
SSOoo..likely those are 48 HFR too?

Include a Re-make of "The Man from U.N.C.L.E"..!

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2014, 2:01pm

Post #8 of 32 (527 views)
Shortcut
I hope to see it at least once in HFR just for the experience [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen the other two in HFR at least once each, and I hope to see BOTFA at least once in 48FPS. I prefer an immersive experience at the movies, but so far HFR still isn't my favorite format and I can't quite pin down the reason. I love the clarity and the detail, but something about the visual experience feels "off" on a subliminal level and I don't get that "lost in the movie" experience. And this probably sounds odd, but when I remember the HFR viewings, I always remember them as being cold and blue (kind of like Laketown) and when I remember the 24FPS viewings, I remember that as being "warm".

I hope that HFR gets "tweaked" somehow so that we can have the best of both worlds, both the amazing immersive reality of HFR and the more subtle 'lost in another world' experience which seems to be missing for a lot of people, judging from a lot of the comments I've read here and elsewhere. It probably wouldn't hurt if the filmmakers who want this format funded some serious studies of the connection between HFR projection and visual perception in the human brain because it seems that there's something going on during the viewing experience that no one expected.

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 22 2014, 3:04pm

Post #9 of 32 (502 views)
Shortcut
Except that it seems to work the other way as well..... [In reply to] Can't Post

I've never been able to sit through a whole film in ordinary 3D. The effect doesn't work for me and trying to see it makes my eyes feel weird. I'd have been more than happy if they'd made the films in 2D only.

I only went to see AUJ in HFR 3D out of curiosity right at the end of its run because the things people said about it varied so much. I expected to hate it and absolutely loved it. I was in Middle Earth. Everything looked rounded and real - truly three dimensional. So I can't work out what's happening here but it seems to me that if they were to 'tweak' the HFR to make it more like the ordinary 3D, those of us who found HFR a revelation (and I know from these boards that I'm not the only one) would find it more like the ordinary 24fps 3D that we don't and can't watch. For me it's HFR or 2D - 24 fps isn't an option.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2014, 3:34pm

Post #10 of 32 (476 views)
Shortcut
That's interesting [In reply to] Can't Post

I've seen AUJ and DOS in both 24 FPS 3D and 48 FPS 3D and as far as just the 3D aspect goes, I didn't notice any difference. For me, there is something else going on with the HFR but I really can't figure out what it is, and it's frustrating because I was so excited when it first came out and I really thought I would love it. Maybe the solution is for the theaters to just keep doing what they are already doing - release it in different formats and let people take their pick.

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 4:16pm

Post #11 of 32 (469 views)
Shortcut
I'm in! [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
How many will (like myself) watch Hobbit: BOFA in glorious 3D HFR?

Me, for one! I've got my tickets booked already for opening night. And, due to where I live, I'll have to drive an hour and a half to the nearest cinema screening the format and an hour and a half back.

That's how much I enjoy HFR Smile

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 4:22pm

Post #12 of 32 (471 views)
Shortcut
I hope Cameron is *still* into HFR... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
James Cameron is a huge fan of HFR and he already announced that all of his three AVATAR sequels will be shot in HFR.

Yes, he has, but, as far as I'm aware, he's yet to commit to an actual frame-rate, hasn't he? And, again as far as I'm aware, has yet to broach the subject again since the mixed reaction to "The Hobbit". I wonder if he's still a huge fan Unsure

In Reply To
I want to see Pandora in HFR.

Cool

"I have walked there sometimes, beyond the forest and up into the night. I have seen the world fall away and the white light of forever fill the air."

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 4:32pm

Post #13 of 32 (465 views)
Shortcut
That "tweaking" might involve even *more* frames per second... [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I hope that HFR gets "tweaked" somehow so that we can have the best of both worlds, both the amazing immersive reality of HFR and the more subtle 'lost in another world' experience which seems to be missing for a lot of people

Interestingly, legendary cinematographer Douglas Turnbull has suggested that actually increasing the frame-rate (to 60 or even 100 fps) may be the answer. He attributed the mixed reaction Jackson's 48 frames got to the fact that it was different enough to be noticeable but not completely transformational. He suggested it left many audience members in a weird, halfway, "uncanny valley" ("Eh? What's going on here? This looks weird.") that twenty or so extra frames per second would have leapt right over...

Just sayin'

Smile

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2014, 5:08pm

Post #14 of 32 (450 views)
Shortcut
Interesting idea [In reply to] Can't Post

If anyone tries that I would love to see it.

And on a somewhat unrelated note - has anyone else seen Sony's 79 inch UHD 4K TV on display at Best Buy? Pretty cool! But even if I had $8,000 I don't think it would fit in my 'cosy' little living room, LOL. Tongue Smile

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

Estel78
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 5:37pm

Post #15 of 32 (444 views)
Shortcut
James Cameron doesn't care what people say [In reply to] Can't Post

He just does what he wants. Wink

But seriously, i believe he did comment on HFR after Hobbit came out. I remember him mentioning the idea of variable frame rates, lower fps in dialog heavy scenes and higher fps when there's a lot of action, or something to that effect.

(This post was edited by Estel78 on Nov 22 2014, 5:38pm)

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 22 2014, 5:40pm

Post #16 of 32 (429 views)
Shortcut
Ah [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I believe he did comment on HFR after Hobbit came out. I remember him mentioning the idea of variable frame rates, lower fps in dialog heavy scenes and higher fps when there's a lot of action, or something to that effect.

Ah, yes, that's an idea that's been doing the rounds, too and one advocated by Turnbull as well.

I didn't know Cameron had been part of these musings. Good news.

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 5:45pm

Post #17 of 32 (440 views)
Shortcut
I bought [In reply to] Can't Post

Samsung's 65 inch UHD 4K TV CURVED a month ago.The best 3d i have seen so far and the picture quality is mesmerising.

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 6:35pm

Post #18 of 32 (418 views)
Shortcut
2D for me [In reply to] Can't Post

Personally I find 3d distracting (and more often than not unnecessary) and I've heard very mixed reactions from friends who made the trip to see AUJ in HFR. It's just not something that interests me, I'd rather spend less money and enjoy (or hate) the film in a straight forward format that wouldn't run the risk of distracting or giving me a headache!

I certainly admire Jackson for taking on the gamble to shoot in HFR, alot of people seem to like it, and I'm intrigued to see where it heads next, I seem to recall reading James Cameron will be shooting the Avatar sequels in 60 FPS....

Kim
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 6:48pm

Post #19 of 32 (404 views)
Shortcut
Me! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'll be seeing BOFA in IMAX 3D HFR, which is how I saw all but one showing of the last 2 movies. I was totally immersed in the world, and thought it was great for the action sequences - no blurring. For me, it works really well on the big screen as regular 24fps tends to be rather fuzzy on such a large screen.

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 7:05pm

Post #20 of 32 (403 views)
Shortcut
I won't see it any other way... [In reply to] Can't Post

Nobody would be more surprised than me, but I've completely fallen in love with HFR. Sadly, based on the last two years, my theater will only have it in that format for 1 1/2 - 2 Weeks (max), so I'll need to fit in multiple viewings in a very short time frame.

I'll be very sad if the format fades away for now. I hope Cameron decides to go with it full speed ahead (though I've heard comments from him that say he might use it in moderation instead - that worries me).

Regardless, Higher Frame Rates will become a standard at some point in the future. As the movie experience evolves in the future, becoming a more immersive "inside the movie" experience (which is bound to happen at some point), they're not going to stick with traditional 24 frames a second. The goal will eventually be to make it as realistic as possible, and that will inevitably involve higher frame rates.

I can only hope when that day comes, PJ will get some credit as a pioneer.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

QuackingTroll
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 8:24pm

Post #21 of 32 (384 views)
Shortcut
I'm going with a party of nine to see it in HFR [In reply to] Can't Post

I saw AUJ in HFR and loved it! I didn't get to do it for DoS, because the cinema is very far and very expensive.

This time, because it's the final film, I'm taking a group of nine (set against the nine black riders) to see it in HFR. I've booked a three by three square of the best seats. I just wish it was also in Dolby Atmos, I have yet to experience that. But you can't have everything!

The same group of nine will also be watching the previous two EEs on a 3D TV beforehand and The Lord of the Rings EEs afterwards (spread across a a few days). It should be a fun week if it all goes to plan Smile I've not watched LotR in years.

Misty Mountain Hop
Rivendell

Nov 22 2014, 9:27pm

Post #22 of 32 (394 views)
Shortcut
Best movie experience of my life. [In reply to] Can't Post

I absolutely LOVE HFR and I've been a huge fan of it ever since I first saw AUJ at midnight. Sure it had its drawbacks, but they have improved drastically since.

I will strongly admit that they should have debuted HFR in another way besides The Hobbit. Visually stunning and realistic but it took away some aspects of The Hobbit trilogy that made it look less like LOTR.

They need to use HFR for documentaries like Planet Earth, Discovery Channel stuff and what not. Also, obviously, they can use it in future films. It has huge potential.

Bottom line, quote me on this. It will not go away. Not at all. This is the future of filming.

"Only, you've never done a hard day's work." - Merry

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2014, 10:29pm

Post #23 of 32 (361 views)
Shortcut
Wow, fantastic for you! [In reply to] Can't Post

LOL! now we're all coming over to your house! Smile

When I've looked at the 4K TVs in Best Buy, I did think the Samsung had the most amazing picture, but the model they had on display was quite a bit smaller than the Sony, so I thought maybe it was a matter of pixels per inch or something. Glad to hear that your 65 inch is so great. And I agree - mesmerizing is the best word. They also had an "upgrade" sample playing on one of the 4K's showing the picture upgrade of an ordinary DVD and it was pretty impressive. If the sample was accurate it would great to buy a 4K TV and know that ordinary DVD's would look that much better on it.

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

StarGodziller
Bree

Nov 23 2014, 12:08am

Post #24 of 32 (339 views)
Shortcut
Yeah... [In reply to] Can't Post

This will hardly be the last HFR production as Cameron has embraced the technology for all his future productions. Also, chances are all future Peter Jackson movies will also be high frame rate.

Kendalf
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 1:51am

Post #25 of 32 (317 views)
Shortcut
Is there any 4K content to watch yet? [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I bought Samsung's 65 inch UHD 4K TV CURVED a month ago.The best 3d i have seen so far and the picture quality is mesmerising.

And there was me feeling all chuffed with myself for picking up a 60-inch 1080p 3D Samsung over the summer Laugh

A question, though, if I may: what content are you watching? I'm not aware of many sources of 4K content yet. Are you basically watching upscaled 1080p images? Is the upscaling really that good? Is the image really that much better? Shocked

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.