Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Main:
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge!

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2014, 4:20am

Post #1 of 5 (499 views)
Shortcut
Walk to Rivendell and Beyond - There and Back Again Challenge! Can't Post

Greetings and welcome to this week's edition of the Walk, where we follow in the footsteps of our favorite characters in Middle Earth by tracking our physical activity mileage in this Earth. Please forgive my tardiness this week; I'm in the midst of working on an Alternative Christmas Fair that's had me accumulating all sorts of wonderful mileage for next week's post - and I'm tired!

So how go your journeys?

My progress:
Miles covered this week: 15
Cumulative miles: 1703
Goal: There and Back Again!

Last week wasn't great for me, exercise-wise. Beamer, on the other hand, has been in a play at school that involves running around on stage a bit, so she's done better. Not only that, but the play was excellent - a series of skits written by the students aimed at bullying awareness, including one of the best anti-cyberbullying pieces I've seen. Not that I'm a proud mom or anything...

Beamer's progress:
Miles covered this week: 18
Cumulative miles: 1612
Goal: Group Challenge

Arandiel

The Scoop on the Walk
The TORn Walk to Rivendell thread meets right here on Main, on Thursdays.
Learn about TORn's There and Back Again Challenge

The Eowyn Challenge/Walk to Rivendell (and beyond) is a Middle-Earth-related fitness group that began in March 2003, and has been going on with walkers around the world ever since. TORn's Walk is open to all people and healthy types of activity. Please visit the Eowyn Challenge site, especially the main page and the Walk page, for more information. Useful links, including mileage charts compiled by the late Karen Wynn Fonstad, are on the Tools page.
grammaboodawg's awesome site for Bilbo's return mileages from the Lonely Mountain to Bag End, some helpful activity conversion charts, and the Walk to Rivendell's TORn-up Postcards
Notta's Super-Duper Walking-Equivalents Chart
Eowyn Challenge Login Page to register miles

If you use the Eowyn Challenge site to track your progress, please update your mileage via the login page, and be sure to keep a backup record, in case Warg attack, Wizard-induced blizzard, or other fell calamity causes the Shields page to crash.

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

Join us, Thursdays on Main!

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 22 2014, 12:52pm

Post #2 of 5 (458 views)
Shortcut
Hello Fellow Walkers! [In reply to] Can't Post

Mercy! We're getting SO CLOSE to the end of our Quest! Surreal :D

I haven't had very much movement over the past couple of weeks. BUT I did move a bit!

Thanks so much for keeping us on the Road, Arandiel :) And *HIGH FIVE* to Beamer for crankin' those miles!

Miles covered: 16 miles 11/13; 12 miles 11/20 = 28 miles
Cumulated miles: 4096
Goal #2: Unexpected Journey Individual Challenge and Contributing to the Group!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 24 2014, 3:55am

Post #3 of 5 (437 views)
Shortcut
Seeing as how your slow weeks cover about the same distance as my good ones, [In reply to] Can't Post

I think you're doing great, gramma!

I'm wondering - would it be interesting/useful/fun to try to connect with the Reading Room on this LOTR walk we're starting, since they're starting a read-through of LOTR at about the same time? What do you think?

Walk to Rivendell: There and Back Again Challenge - traveling through Middle Earth with thirteen rowdy Dwarves, one grumpy Wizard, and a beleaguered Hobbit

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 24 2014, 10:11am

Post #4 of 5 (440 views)
Shortcut
oooo! Great idea! [In reply to] Can't Post

I think they'd have fun actually walking the Quest themselves! :D

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 27 2014, 5:14pm

Post #5 of 5 (442 views)
Shortcut
Seeing as how it's Thursday and last week's WtR is still on the Main Page... [In reply to] Can't Post

Feel free to update you miles here! Since today is a bit busy for me, I'll update Beamer's and my mileages next week.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you US TORnFolk - I wish you many happy miles walking off you feasts!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.