Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
*unlocks doors* Welcome, one and all, to Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:02pm

Post #1 of 100 (958 views)
Shortcut
*unlocks doors* Welcome, one and all, to Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

It's a rather chilly day here in the States. Our barmistress, the esteemed Altaira, has alas! been waylaid by work, so I shall be your host for today.

*takes off tureen covers* Hot soups today: chicken dumpling, tomato basil, Italian wedding, spicy sausage, potato-leek, a few others…and chili! Along with hot mulled cider and hot cocoa. Enjoy, it’s all calorie-free!

So tell us – what all have you been up to, and for those in the States, what are your plans for the coming Thanksgiving? Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:05pm

Post #2 of 100 (841 views)
Shortcut
Hey, dernwyn! [In reply to] Can't Post

We had the first snow of the season today. It hardly covered the ground, though. Anyways, winter isn't far away anymore, that's for sure. Heck, my mom is already making Christmas wreaths. Laugh

I'll be working throughout the weekend - I've got a presentation coming up on Wednesday. Should be fun. Unimpressed

Have a great weekend, everybody! Smile

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:10pm

Post #3 of 100 (838 views)
Shortcut
'Rather chilly' - you are so polite D!!! [In reply to] Can't Post

I expressed the same idea with much more colorful language early this morning. Laugh

Battening down for winter, stacking and covering wood. Garden is winterized at last, and just in time too. I hope my young raspberries do OK this winter. Christmas shopping is in full swing! Go Amazon! We do like to go to the Mall during the season just to walk around with coffee and see friends but I don't like to go with an actual shopping goal, so online shopping it is.

Birds are in strong and hungry attendance here at the feeders, and we even saw a very unusually marked woodpecker who I haven't ID'd yet ... likely just a color morph but so fun to see a new bird.
Have your turkeys been around in the back yard?

Stay warm N.Hemi!

(This post was edited by Brethil on Nov 21 2014, 5:11pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:11pm

Post #4 of 100 (828 views)
Shortcut
Making wreaths! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's quite a task! Is she using real fir branches?

Best of luck with the presentation!

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2014, 5:12pm

Post #5 of 100 (824 views)
Shortcut
Yum! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I would definitely take some chicken dumpling soup, please, along with my Winter Usual! :)

And my Thanksgiving plans include a gathering of a number of family members, great food, and thankfulness. ;)

Hope you have a great weekend, and a great Thanksgiving, too!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 5:13pm

Post #6 of 100 (832 views)
Shortcut
not cold here [In reply to] Can't Post

but very windy!

I'm heading to my parents' in Seattle for three days over the holiday. They're in their 90s now and ya never know . . . but so far they just keep chugging on!

My niece who lives in NYC is wafting her way to us as we speak. On Monday we're going on one of our favorite winter hikes:
http://www.weekendhike.com/...d-ebeys-landing.html
followed by hot chocolate in nearby Coupeville (which provided the "town" for the movie Practical Magic.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:13pm

Post #7 of 100 (826 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, real fir. And pine and juniper.

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2014, 5:17pm

Post #8 of 100 (822 views)
Shortcut
Oooh, hot mulled cider [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes please!

And calorie free is even better! Our diary is already filling up with festive gatherings and parties, I think we will be eating out a lot over the next few weeks, not good for the waistline!

I am hoping the weather stays dry so I can get lots of hiking done to balance it all out!

Hope all US sibs have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:18pm

Post #9 of 100 (820 views)
Shortcut
LOL! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yes, winter has definitely hit! Do you cover the raspberries with leaves for added warmth?

Our feathered friends do need the extra care! What were the markings on that woodpecker - was it like a type of Downy? Yep, the turkeys have been massing beneath the feeders, they seem to trust that we won't be eyeing them for the oven! Laugh

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:20pm

Post #10 of 100 (817 views)
Shortcut
*gets out bowl* [In reply to] Can't Post

My daughter makes this, with matzo flour for the dumplings, it's perfect if you have sinus snuffles!

Enjoy your family and Thanksgiving! Will you be making any of the dishes, or helping with all of them?

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 5:21pm

Post #11 of 100 (820 views)
Shortcut
Now you've done it :) [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hot soups today: chicken dumpling, tomato basil, Italian wedding, spicy sausage, potato-leek, a few others…and chili!

Now I will simply have to make a soup this weekend because all of those sound just so delicious I won't stop thinking about them Laugh.

Pass me a hot chocolate please (it's windy outside!)! I'm getting my crafting supplies together for a little wreath-decorating get together (glue gun, check! Laugh). Other than that I'll be working most of next week so Thanksgiving will be a quiet family day for us.

Thank you kindly and have a wonderful weekend, dernwyn!

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:27pm

Post #12 of 100 (814 views)
Shortcut
You've had [In reply to] Can't Post

a lot of precipitation lately, I hope you have good weather for travel!

That looks like a wonderful trail - and with wind coming in over the sea, you'll definitely need the hot chocolate afterwards! Laugh

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:28pm

Post #13 of 100 (818 views)
Shortcut
My goodness, I keep forgetting this coming week is Thanksgiving! [In reply to] Can't Post

The year has just melted away. Happy holiday, everyone. I will be working but I hope everyone celebrates with loved ones.

I did cover the raspberries - I call it 'dry mulching' where I use unopened mulch bags and place them around the roots, as well as covering the center of the plants (edited: I see I wrote PANTSSly first!) with leaves in a chicken wire form. The closed bags don't get soggy or hold water but provide a thermal break. The banana tree and the peach roots as well as smaller blueberries get this too. Then in spring the bags get opened, mulch spread around and voila, nice renewed garden/orchard floor.

Cool that you have your turkey friends to watch! I would love that in my yard, but I am far too suburban. Quite right, the woodpecker in question is either a Downy or Hairy (we have both) so I am waiting for it to reappear when I am home and watching for it. Bird geek fun.

(This post was edited by Brethil on Nov 21 2014, 5:29pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:29pm

Post #14 of 100 (814 views)
Shortcut
*gets out large mug* [In reply to] Can't Post

'Tis the season to be - uh, watching one's waistline in vain, I fear! Laugh Are you making any special treats for the parties?

Fortunately you have your pups to force you to get some hiking! How are they doing, these days?

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:30pm

Post #15 of 100 (816 views)
Shortcut
Those wreaths must smell heavenly BF! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:31pm

Post #16 of 100 (811 views)
Shortcut
Would you like some marshmallows in this? [In reply to] Can't Post

Wreath-decorating is a fun activity. How large are the ones you make?

And yes - this is the start of "soup season", a warm bowlful is the perfect complement to a chilly day. Hm, now what can one do with leftover turkey...Wink

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:32pm

Post #17 of 100 (810 views)
Shortcut
*breathes in deeply* Ah, wonderful! // [In reply to] Can't Post

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:34pm

Post #18 of 100 (809 views)
Shortcut
That's a great idea, with the mulch! [In reply to] Can't Post

And then - it's ready to spread! Cool

Hm, are you suggesting that's it's been a while since we last had a plants pants thread? Angelic

entmaiden
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:38pm

Post #19 of 100 (813 views)
Shortcut
I think Thanksgiving is starting earlier and earlier [In reply to] Can't Post

So many people now take Wednesday off in addition to Thursday and Friday, and now it's turning into a week-long holiday for some. A few people in my office are taking today off, too!

It seems to be mostly people who travel who take the most time off, like me. I'm leaving Tuesday for my sister's house - partly to help her get ready, but also because everyone I work with is out.

We have a lot of family favorites for Thanksgiving, but last year I introduced a new favorite at Christmas dinner and we're having it for Thanksgiving this year. I had my first taste of Utica Greens last year, and could not wait to make them for my family. "Greens" is basically baked escarole with proscuitto, hot peppers (or mild if you prefer), garlic, grated cheese and breadcrumbs. You can use a mix of greens like chard, kale, mustard, collard, turnip or beet greens in addition or instead of the escarole.

I'm finally home from a long trip out of town, and looking forward to a weekend without a lot of commitments. I have all my Christmas decorations ready to go, so I might succumb and put up a few. I try to wait until after Thanksgiving, but I might not make it this year.

Happy weekend, everyone! I'll take a hot buttered rum from the bar, please. It's cold here, but fortunately no snow.

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:43pm

Post #20 of 100 (814 views)
Shortcut
I'll just glance in for a moment... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and grab a quick gingerbread latte. They were handing out samples at the Barnes and Noble the other day and they served their purpose: I want one! (Thank goodness it doesn't come in pints.)

A couple of family members will be arriving this afternoon, complete with cat, and the rest will be arriving next week. We're expecting 14 for Thanksgiving dinner, which for us is a horde Smile I'll be opening the box of maple sugar candy I picked up at La Petite Cabane a Sucre in Quebec last month, on a gorgeous fall day.

My very best Thanksgiving wishes to all who celebrate the day, and to those who don't, my very best wishes anyway!

*places one molded maple sugar candy in tip jar*

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:44pm

Post #21 of 100 (810 views)
Shortcut
One hot buttered rum, on the way! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds good - I may make one for myself! You've got a busy time coming up, I hope you have a great time with everyone!

I like that recipe - I think I'll try it, using kale. Thank you!

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 5:46pm

Post #22 of 100 (835 views)
Shortcut
Brocolli-cheese soup & hot cocoa [In reply to] Can't Post

Carpet's done, kitchen tile is done. Still need to finish painting the kitchen.

Making plans for a carport. (Even though we have a garage, it's full of books.)

Trying to buy a new couch. Why is every couch in town a shade of brown? Might have to go on a road trip to find one.

And in a recurring series:

The Eldar and the Khazâd should be friends.
Oh, the Eldar and the Khazâd should be friends.
One loves tra-lal-lally mirth, the other tunnels in the earth,
But that's no reason why they can't be friends.

Westlands folks should stick together,
Westlands folks should all be pals.
Khazâd dance with the Eldars’ daughters,
Eldars dance with the Khazâd’s guys or gals.

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

"Kai provseisi, kai avpeisi."
("There and back again.")
-Heraclitus of Ephesus, c. 500 BC

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Nov 21 2014, 5:51pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:49pm

Post #23 of 100 (818 views)
Shortcut
*gets bottled water for car journey* [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm off to Hamilton for an indulgent day of shopping with the bonus of driving through some of my favourite landscapes ... in mist which will turn to strong winds and rain. Ah well, I can't plan everything.

Have a great end of the week, everyone! And I hope you United Statesians stay warm and safe, what with the weather 'n all.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 21 2014, 5:51pm)

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:55pm

Post #24 of 100 (804 views)
Shortcut
Gingerbread latte? That sounds quite rich! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fourteen - that's quite a crowd! Hopefully you have a Hobbit-sized larder! (They aren't Dwarves and a Wizard, are they? Wink) Have a merry Thanksgiving gathering!

Thank you for the maple sugar candy - a reminder of Spring in New England! Cool

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 5:58pm

Post #25 of 100 (812 views)
Shortcut
*gets out extra-large bowl* [In reply to] Can't Post

No, let me put this in a bread boule, creamy soups go well in those.

You've been doing a ton of renovating lately! Garage full of books? You'll need to make bookshelves! Hey, I've an idea: add a library onto your house! Smile

LOL, I am truly loving your R&H series, Darkstone! You've got another winner there! Laugh

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.