Empire Magazine's January issue subscriber's cover Can't Post

Thorin!

Shagrat
Gondor

Nov 21 2014, 4:15pm

Post #2 of 14 (649 views)
Shortcut
Great armour [In reply to] Can't Post

Just a shame we won't see Thorin fight in it.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 4:22pm

Post #3 of 14 (622 views)
Shortcut
Thank you tho [In reply to] Can't Post

It's a great detailed drawing of the armor, but honestly with the mags I was hoping for the more typical "epic" cover and was hoping for gorgeous photo covers like for AUJ.

Ah, well, looks like the companion books will have a lot to drool over, but this looks like a drawing directly from the WETA books so for me it's an inexpensive cheat of sorts.Unimpressed

Thanx again for the post.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2014, 4:25pm

Post #4 of 14 (627 views)
Shortcut
As a subscriber I fear the regular cover will be more "epic" looking [In reply to] Can't Post

I agree, it's a cool piece of concept art, but not something very fitting for a cover. I believe they did they same with AUJ (Bilbo).

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 4:30pm

Post #5 of 14 (709 views)
Shortcut
Here's a link to the Cineplex cover [In reply to] Can't Post

https://www.facebook.com/.../?type=1&theater

Bilbo - nice image tho would not say epic, but IMO more of what I was thinking.....Unsure

(Since Hunger Games has some nice feature covers w. the cast, am crossing my fingers some of those entertainment 'zines put stuff out, but then, if there were photo shoots in costume maybe we would have heard be now.Frown)

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 5:14pm

Post #6 of 14 (549 views)
Shortcut
Must have it [In reply to] Can't Post

Mithfânion
Rivendell

Nov 21 2014, 7:58pm

Post #7 of 14 (437 views)
Shortcut
Why wouldn't we see Thorin fight in armour? [In reply to] Can't Post

Clearly they dress themselves in the Erebor royal armour at some point during the film.
Seems unlikely Thorin wouldn't fight in it at all.

aragorn5391

Nov 22 2014, 7:12am

Post #8 of 14 (266 views)
Shortcut
Dwarven Armour [In reply to] Can't Post

Really worried that they wont actually fight in the Epic Dwarven Armour in the film.

Since if Ravenhill is the final fight, then they def wont be in the armour.

Would really hate this since it is such an epic moment in the book

Joe20
Lorien

Nov 22 2014, 7:34am

Post #9 of 14 (258 views)
Shortcut
I can't see them missing out on putting that moment to screen [In reply to] Can't Post

We've seen them in the armour in the trailer so we know they wear it at some point. If I had to guess i say they wear it during the battle before taking it off to go to Ravenhill for the final confrontation with Azog.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 5:51pm

Post #10 of 14 (205 views)
Shortcut
I subcribe to EMPIRE, this should be really good [In reply to] Can't Post

Their coverage of AUJ was really detailed (from memory, over 60 pages ) and Jackson is always an interesting, very enthusiastic interviewee. I'm not entirely sure how much power he would have as a 'guest editor', but a few years ago EMPIRE got Steven Spielberg to guest edit the Issue for their 20th Anniversary, he did a great job andthe Issue was rather longer than usual with alot of exclusive content (fingers crossed Jackson manages to repeat his success...).

I'm not a fan of Richard Armitage's Thorin, so the cover does nothing for me (in general, I actually prefer the standard issue covers to subscription only ones, they just seem more exciting!) but that Armour looks every bit as regal as I'd always imagined it would...

If I can get hold of a scanner I'll try to post some scans (if I remember!) though I'm not sure how this falls under the 'fair use' clause...

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 5:59pm

Post #11 of 14 (196 views)
Shortcut
Shame it takes so long for issues to arrive outside the UK [In reply to] Can't Post

I live in Norway and it arrives in my mailbox about a week after it hits stores over there.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 6:29pm

Post #12 of 14 (189 views)
Shortcut
I sometimes have to wait close to a week myself! [In reply to] Can't Post

Despite being a subscriber, I live in South England, which is apparently low on the list of Royal Mail's priority when it comes to delivering subscription orders, more often than not I actually get my copy later than it arrives in the shops (though occasionally earlier), I don't really mind though, as I subscribe mainly for the discount (which was much lbigger when I first subscribed...), and the subscription only covers are rather hit and miss i.m.o.

Out of interest are you a British Expatriate, or a Norwegian native? I had heard/read EMPIRE had an international following (they publish a North American edition I think) but I'd always assumed it was mainly expats who followed the Magazine (though the generally high quality of the Articles speak for themselves...).

EMPIRE's long standing editor recently stepped down, and I'm not sure if they've actually appointed a new one yet, so Jackson might have been thrown in at the deep end a bit!

Regardless, hopefully it will be worth the wait for both of us!

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 22 2014, 6:39pm

Post #13 of 14 (191 views)
Shortcut
Native Norwegian [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't quite remember when I first started reading Empire, but it's something I'd buy now and then if the issue had any interesting info. Later I started subscribing as the magazines are quite expensive here in Norway and many stores around here don't hold them unless specificly requested. Even then they get them really late.

(This post was edited by Carne on Nov 22 2014, 6:40pm)

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 7:00pm

Post #14 of 14 (194 views)
Shortcut
I've been a regular reader for Seven Years, a Subcriber for Five [In reply to] Can't Post

I still have most of the old Issues I've purchased lying around the house, it's rather funny to look back to 2008 and see GDT's plan's for The Hobbit...

In their own words (paraphrased) 'It's a magazine about cinema going, not just a magazine about movies', I've always thought EMPIRE lacked the pretensions other magazines have, first and foremost it's a magazine written by fans for fans. You have my sympathies about the cost (which has increased several times in the short time I've subscribed, but that is a hallmark of the industry I guess), I'm rather surprised, but delighted to hear our pokey little film magazine is popular elsewhere in Europe, I guess that speaks volumes about the quality!

I've known a few other Norwegians who post elsewhere on the net, by all accounts you are Tolkien mad over there...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.