The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXV
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2014, 11:44pm

Post #26 of 221 (4100 views)
Shortcut
     Seems we always tip the thread and get threadlock after 10pm my time [In reply to]  

10pm being my preferred bedtime, it makes it hard for me to be a threadstarter.Evil Plus, you do always a good job with threadstarting, Lurker.Cool

Nice OP pic, btw!

"There's distraction buzzing in my head,
Saying in the shadows it's easier to stay.
But I've heard rumors, of true reality.
Whispers of a well-lit way.

When the world has fallen out from under me,
I'll be found in You, still standing.
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
When time and space are through.
I'll be found in You."
~Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2014, 1:16am

Post #27 of 221 (4132 views)
Shortcut
     Some baby Leggy cuteness, a FLAST, and a couple of Thrandy pretty! things [In reply to]  

I'm still catching up on all the previous pretty! posts, so these may been posted before, but there's no such thing as too many Thrandy pic, right?Wink

Baby Leggy cuteness.Heart He'll grow into that cape someday...

(clicky)

The FLAST is a gif of Thrandy embarrassing Leggy with his singing. Once the gif is fully loaded, the words go by really fast, so in case it's too fast to read, it says:

Thrandy: "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me"

Leggy: Ada...please stop singing! You're so embarrassing! My ears!" Laugh

Pretty! of Thranduil on a white version of Bubba.

(clicky)

Pretty! of battle Thrandy

(clicky)

"There's distraction buzzing in my head,
Saying in the shadows it's easier to stay.
But I've heard rumors, of true reality.
Whispers of a well-lit way.

When the world has fallen out from under me,
I'll be found in You, still standing.
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
When time and space are through.
I'll be found in You."
~Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Nov 21 2014, 1:54am

Post #28 of 221 (4090 views)
Shortcut
     Ahaha [In reply to]  

The FLAST is a gif of Thrandy embarrassing Leggy with his singing. Once the gif is fully loaded, the words go by really fast, so in case it's too fast to read, it says:

Thrandy: "Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me"

Leggy: Ada...please stop singing! You're so embarrassing! My ears!" Laugh

Sounds totally like something Thranduil would do. Evil

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 5:44am

Post #29 of 221 (4028 views)
Shortcut
     *waves back* [In reply to]  

And hey, I'm just a human... err, fox, am I not? Even I can't keep my composure at times. Tongue

*LoL* I understand that. There are Pretty! that I too swoon overTongue

In Reply To
I'm always around, though it usually means lingering in the shadows, sneaking, spying. Evil

and I'm sure you're doing a fune job. But won't you take a break more often and step into the light a bit more?Smile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Threadcount: XXV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 5:47am

Post #30 of 221 (4047 views)
Shortcut
     My pleasure [In reply to]  

In Reply To
not that I think I would have the confidence at the moment to start a new one myself.Unsure

*hug* Actually, starting a thread is easy. Witness how some posters start threads with wild abandon, and abandon them so easily. At least we're focused and genuinely interested in TASmile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 5:58am

Post #31 of 221 (4070 views)
Shortcut
     Beautifully said (I'd send a carton of Dorwinion's finest with compliments, if I could) [In reply to]  

And I agree with all your points. On the movie!Thranduil, I suppose PJ just like identify a particular trait for a character and just magnify it to the nth degree. I suppose too we should thank A Elbereth Thranduil did not get the Denethor treatment (Denny is a Mannish character I find intriguing, definitely the movie version PALES in comparison to the book one)... so far. I am fervently hoping BotFA will not be the Denethorisation of ThranduilShockedFrownMad Incidentally, I just saw a tumblr post which stated the owner had any number of problems, with the PJ Hobbit-verse, but, and I quote: "Lee Pace as Thranduil is not one of them."Angelic

*cough* Back to topic: I've not remedied my lapsed status with the books, but I remember all the Elven realms seemed rather isolationistic in TA. Didn't strike me as particularly so of Thranduil to draw a clear line in the mirk and keep outsiders out. I don't see it as any more so than the tough-to-locate Imladris, nor the heavily border-patrolled Lothlorien. And really, if he was THAT isolationistic, the Elf-path would not be accessible to non-Mirkwood Elves now, would it?

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:09am

Post #32 of 221 (4065 views)
Shortcut
     I see your pov, Adanel [In reply to]  

All those are stuff we know from the books, and yes, they flesh out some of the rationale for Thranduil wanting to keep his people out of harm's way. But the thing is, was Thranduil any more isolationistic than the other Elven rulers in TA? I don't see it. And I'd like to point to mariel's reply a bit lower down in the sub-thread and co-opt them rather than write up a (lesser) repeat of the points in my head.Smile

In Reply To
So not isolationist regarding other races but definately isolationist when it came to other elves. Specifically Noldor because he and Celeborn,( another Sindar) appear to have got along just fine when they divided the forest after the war of the ring when Galadriel was no longer in the picture.

And Celeborn was married to Galadriel.

One last thing: I'm not updated on book-verse but a quick check online confirms Galadriel was in the picture at the point the forest was divvied up, so the real question, to me, is how involved could Galadriel have been in the operation since I imagine she would be supporting Celeborn's adventures all the way, just as he with hers, and therefore how much interaction and the quality of the interaction she would have with Thranduil. Celeborn probably enjoyed having to navigate and mediate between the twoTongue *ouch* damn musies... always sneaksing fanfic plotidea when I'm not looking... Crazy

[sight OT: I am also starting to question just how much of the impression about Thranduil, and Oropher before him, shifting house REALLY has to do with just wanting to get away from Galadriel specifically? There's much research and reading to be done in this regard it seems.]

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:10am

Post #33 of 221 (4032 views)
Shortcut
     KEWL~ [In reply to]  

Thanks, mariel! Love that last one on the bottom rightLaugh

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:15am

Post #34 of 221 (4038 views)
Shortcut
     *waves good-bye* Have fun! [and GoT Xover stuff] [In reply to]  

And since you're a GoT fan, I guess this is as good a place as any for the Xover I just foundSmile

(runs for cover from lese majeste)

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:17am

Post #35 of 221 (4035 views)
Shortcut
     Timezones are such a hassle [In reply to]  

aren't they?

And I'm always coming in after even the after-partyCrazy

In Reply To
Nice OP pic, btw!

Happy to know you like itSmile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:18am

Post #36 of 221 (4057 views)
Shortcut
     *LoL* the Leggy FLAST [In reply to]  

are so cute! haven't seen either before. Thanks, Eruvandi!

In Reply To
I'm still catching up on all the previous pretty! posts

So, how caught up are you now?Smile

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:22am

Post #37 of 221 (4058 views)
Shortcut
     More daddy and son moments [In reply to]  

(GiF)

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:25am

Post #38 of 221 (4061 views)
Shortcut
     Armour!Thranduil MFE [In reply to]  

(GIFHeart)

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:30am

Post #39 of 221 (4059 views)
Shortcut
     Fab White!Amour edits [In reply to]  

I just keep thinking back to Party!ThranddyLaugh

=======

Adanel
The Shire

Nov 21 2014, 7:08am

Post #40 of 221 (4038 views)
Shortcut
     Well.......... [In reply to]  

It's all to do with the silmarils, kinslaying etc etc that the Noldor got up to but it seems Oropher really started to seriously move His people away from Galadriels sphere of influence when she obtained a ring of power. Possibly he didn't trust her. You could argue with good reason given her family background.
Plus Tolkien always wrote her as being very ambitious, especially regarding having her own realm.

Lorien was definately isolationist regarding other races, far more than Mirkwood I think. Rivendell were the most outgoing of the two, Elladan and Elrohir rode with the Dunedain and help them keep watch over the shire too. But Lorien and Rivendell had close contact with each other, well Elrond was married to Galadriels daughter so how could they not.

Elven politics were complicated and Thranduil had a huge amount of very good reasons why he would want to stay well away from the Noldor. Though it looks like he started to get over those by the end of the war of the ring so good on him!
But regarding dwarves and men he was never as bad as he is sometimes painted. You know dwarves actually built his caves!

mariel
Lorien

Nov 21 2014, 8:31am

Post #41 of 221 (4026 views)
Shortcut
     That last one [In reply to]  

Where is it from? I've only ever seen a still pic of this taken from someone's TV screen [as the gif seems to be]

mariel
Lorien

Nov 21 2014, 8:36am

Post #42 of 221 (4066 views)
Shortcut
     Very nice [In reply to]  

Btw, until I read it somewhere recently, I hadn't realised that his breast plate was a depiction of a deer [elk?] skull. Still not fond of this armour though. I'm glad they went with the other version

mariel
Lorien

Nov 21 2014, 8:50am

Post #43 of 221 (4082 views)
Shortcut
     A little something to raise a smile [In reply to]  

clicky

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 9:44am

Post #44 of 221 (4047 views)
Shortcut
     You know what they say... [In reply to]  

Be careful what you wish for. EvilTongue

mariel
Lorien

Nov 21 2014, 1:51pm

Post #45 of 221 (4025 views)
Shortcut
     Pretty fan edit [In reply to]  

Plus some publicity stills we have seen before.

all clicky

Weirdly, I'd never noticed before that the inside of his armoured cloak is purple. It really shows up in this version

mariel
Lorien

Nov 21 2014, 2:08pm

Post #46 of 221 (4043 views)
Shortcut
     And one more [In reply to]  

clicky for very large pic

On_the_partyelk
Lorien

Nov 21 2014, 4:06pm

Post #47 of 221 (4000 views)
Shortcut
     WOAH [In reply to]  

I think I found my fave BotFA pic from Thranduil. Don't get me wrong they're ALL gorgeous, but this one especially. Hope we'll get a hi-res of the original (unless there already IS one and I just haven't seen it yet).

The fortunes of the world will rise and fall, but here in this kingdom we will endure!

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Nov 21 2014, 5:29pm

Post #48 of 221 (3972 views)
Shortcut
     Thud, ltnjmy hits the floor [In reply to]  

thanks for this pretty image EvilHeartEvil

VValar
Gondor

Nov 21 2014, 8:39pm

Post #49 of 221 (3924 views)
Shortcut
     Thanks and I love the GOT crossovers [In reply to]  

Thranduil looks like he owns that throne doesn't he? Heart

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
Gondor

Nov 21 2014, 8:42pm

Post #50 of 221 (3938 views)
Shortcut
     *THUD* a little warning next time will ya? [In reply to]  

That image is definitely THUD worthy, omg!!!!

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.