Happy Birthday to Christopher Tolkien

News from Bree
spymaster@theonering.net

Nov 20 2014, 9:41pm

Post #1 of 19 (1193 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday to Christopher Tolkien Can't Post

Christopher Tolkien

Happy Birthday to Christopher Tolkien, who turns 90 today the 21st of November. From all of us here at theonering.net ,"Many Happy Returns!".

Christopher John Reuel Tolkien (born 21 November, 1924) is the third child and youngest son of J.R.R. Tolkien and Edith Tolkien. He is the literary executor of the Tolkien Estate and has edited much of his father's work for posthumous publication.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Nov 21 2014, 10:59am)

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 4:18am

Post #2 of 19 (1096 views)
Shortcut
We owe him thanks for many things... [In reply to] Can't Post

Ranging from the lovely maps he drew for LotR to all the published books, including the Silmarillion, Children of Hurin, the awesome HOME, and more. We often see snarky remarks about Christopher here because of his lack of support for the films, but we must never forget how much he's done to keep his father's work alive for many generations.

Kelvarhin
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:26am

Post #3 of 19 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Well said Elizabeth :) [In reply to] Can't Post

There have been some lovely tributes to him via our Disqus page, but sadly there have also been some decidedly unpleasant ones too. It's a bit sad when we're supposed to be celebrating his life and thanking him for all that he's given to us on behalf of his father's work.

He doesn't like the movies, so what? Neither do a lot of other people.

I'll always be grateful for the Silmarillion, it is still my most favourite of all the books and I love those maps!

Bag ENZ Home of the Hobbit *with thanks to cameragod ;D*

One by one they faded, and fell into shadow...

One book to rule them all
One book to find them
One book to bring them all
And in TORn bind them
In the land of TORnadoes...where the brilliant play

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 6:07am

Post #4 of 19 (1075 views)
Shortcut
Many blessings to you on your birthday Sir, [In reply to] Can't Post

and a special thank you for your work on The Fall of Arthur and Beowulf.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 9:42am

Post #5 of 19 (1065 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

And thank you for everything. SmileHeart

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 11:18am

Post #6 of 19 (1061 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns, dear sir... [In reply to] Can't Post

...and words cannot appropriately express our gratitude for all the care and work which you have put into bringing your father's works to the rest of the world. We are forever indebted to you. Heart

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"I desired dragons with a profound desire"

Loresilme
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 4:33pm

Post #7 of 19 (1053 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday dear sir [In reply to] Can't Post

Very best wishes!

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:30pm

Post #8 of 19 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Every good wish to him and his family.... [In reply to] Can't Post

And especial thanks to him for all the years he has devoted to making his father's written legacy accessible to readers. Everyone who enjoys the books owes him so much.

ElendilTheShort
Gondor

Nov 21 2014, 6:24pm

Post #9 of 19 (1053 views)
Shortcut
happy birthday to you Christopher [In reply to] Can't Post

Among all the work he has done, arguably the most valuable is HOME, but for me personally I will always be thankful for the Silmarillion. I have great memories of reading it on the long slow summer days of 88/89 while working at a petrol station after finishing my 7th form year at college (what other countries refer to as high school) and beginning my architectural training the following year.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:41pm

Post #10 of 19 (1034 views)
Shortcut
Happy birthday to him! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

geordie
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2014, 6:52pm

Post #11 of 19 (1051 views)
Shortcut
Anyone who flew Spitfires - [In reply to] Can't Post

- in the R.A.F., and then Sea Furies in the Fleet Air Arm during WWII is cool; in my book.

Happy Birthday.

Smile

cats16
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 7:30pm

Post #12 of 19 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Many happy returns! [In reply to] Can't Post

Wishing a happy birthday to Christopher. Indeed, we are all so very much indebted to his work, which seems to go under the radar more than it should in public spheres.

Join us every weekend in the Hobbit movie forum for this week's CHOW (Chapter of the Week) discussion!

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 8:11pm

Post #13 of 19 (1035 views)
Shortcut
Wishing Mr. Tolkien a wonderful birthday! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eleniel
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2014, 9:51pm

Post #14 of 19 (1037 views)
Shortcut
A very Happy Birthday to you, sir... [In reply to] Can't Post

Indebted...

"Choosing Trust over Doubt gets me burned once in a while, but I'd rather be singed than hardened."
¯ Victoria Monfort

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 22 2014, 12:29pm

Post #15 of 19 (1009 views)
Shortcut
Happy Birthday, Dear Mr. Tolkien :) [In reply to] Can't Post

Thank you so much for sharing the wonderful works of your beloved Father. You generosity and belief in his world... and yours... has been a blessing in my life and the lives of so many.

Many Happy Returns of the Day!

6th draft of TH:AUJ Geeky Observation List - November 28, 2013
4th draft of TH:DOS Geeky Observation List - May 15, 2014

sample

"There is more in you of good than you know, child of the kindly West."

I'm SO HAPPY these new films take me back to that magical world!!

TIME Google Calendar
TORn's Geeky Observations Lists for LotR and The Hobbit

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 7:05pm

Post #16 of 19 (1004 views)
Shortcut
Wishing Mr Tolkien (belated) Best Wishes for his Birthday! [In reply to] Can't Post

From drawing the Maps to editing Beowulf, we owe Mr Tolkien so much, I wish him many happy returns for this year, and many more to come.

Smile

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 23 2014, 1:10am

Post #17 of 19 (997 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that does sound pretty cool, now that you mention it. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Plurmo
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 6:15am

Post #18 of 19 (1013 views)
Shortcut
Christopher Tolkien, the Giotto of my Middle-earth. [In reply to] Can't Post

In hindsight, the perception of Middle-earth I had gleaned from reading The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings was that of a medieval man examining a marvelous medieval painting. Then, through the work of Christopher Tolkien, Light, Darkness, Shadows and Colours, all rose into Perspective. The Mythology and the First Age had on me the impact of a Renaissance in Tolkien's World that extended through all his World.

So Christopher is the Giotto of my Middle-earth. I regard The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales and Morgoth's Ring as his essential triptych.

Praise him with great prise and yet will not praise him enough.Heart

shadowdog
Rohan

Nov 23 2014, 5:08pm

Post #19 of 19 (1010 views)
Shortcut
I love his [In reply to] Can't Post

History of Middle Earth books where he published his fathers writings that created the world we have in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings books. Heart

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.