Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 12:21am

Post #1 of 51 (876 views)
Shortcut
What movies, tv shows, or other visual media have you watched recently? Can't Post

tell us about them here.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 12:23am

Post #2 of 51 (607 views)
Shortcut
Interstellar - 5/5. [In reply to] Can't Post

Loved the storytelling and the visuals. This was a long movie that didn't feel over-long - but then I'm a fan of hard sci-fi and I thought Nolan did a good job mixing the SF with the human drama.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2014, 12:42am

Post #3 of 51 (586 views)
Shortcut
Maze runner [In reply to] Can't Post

very well done. Makes me want to go find the books.

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 12:47am

Post #4 of 51 (575 views)
Shortcut
The digital version is on sale at Amazon at the moment [In reply to] Can't Post

not sure how long the sale lasts.

http://www.amazon.com/...ebook/dp/B002QE3CTY/

Kim
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 3:10am

Post #5 of 51 (574 views)
Shortcut
The Almighty Johnsons [In reply to] Can't Post

Whoops, I didn't realize season 2 had started up a couple of weeks ago! Catching up on the first few episodes. And look at that, Anders has a beard! Tongue

Join us every weekend for The Hobbit Chapter of the Week discussions!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:17am

Post #6 of 51 (565 views)
Shortcut
Jesse Stone [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been watching episodes of this over the last few weeks on free to air telly. I discovered it by accident when I was scouting around, desperately looking for something to watch. I don't know if they have been on TV here before. If they were, I missed them.
I am really enjoying these. I haven't watched Tom Selleck in anything before, and he is wonderfully understated as detective Jesse Stone. And I love the dog!

Plus I have been back into watching Judge John Deed, which I always enjoy.

And pssst, Magpie, I'm on my annual rewatch of LOST, nearly at the end. I still love it just as much as I always did, and find something new in every viewing.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 5:31am

Post #7 of 51 (570 views)
Shortcut
I'm happy for you [In reply to] Can't Post

truly.

Selleck is in a current tv show called Blue Bloods about an NYC police family. Selleck plays the police commissioner and father of two cops and one assistant DA - as well as a number of grandchildren. And the father of Selleck's character is also a retired cop.

I can't say it's a show I make sure to watch but if there's nothing else on, I might watch it. If you like Selleck, it might be worth seeing if you can get it.

You might also check out Quigley Down Under for something pretty wacky.

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:39am

Post #8 of 51 (560 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for the tips [In reply to] Can't Post

I might check those out. :)

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:48am

Post #9 of 51 (579 views)
Shortcut
Is it better than Inception? [In reply to] Can't Post

I've been waffling about seeing it as I'm not really a MM fan. You giving it a 5 is encouraging though.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 6:02am

Post #10 of 51 (561 views)
Shortcut
have you gotten to [In reply to] Can't Post

Axl in a dress yet? Wink

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Kim
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:10am

Post #11 of 51 (554 views)
Shortcut
No! LOL [In reply to] Can't Post

Just powered through the first 4 episodes, up through you-know-who's funeral. Dang. Nice to know there's something light-hearted to look forward to.

Kim
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:13am

Post #12 of 51 (561 views)
Shortcut
Favorite Tom Selleck movie [In reply to] Can't Post

High Road to China. Totally silly, but enjoyable. "Speak" Laugh

Kim
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 6:22am

Post #13 of 51 (570 views)
Shortcut
IMO, Inception is much better [In reply to] Can't Post

I didn't really like Interstellar - too many bits from other sci-fi movies cobbled together, then it gets weird at the end, which I felt dragged on way too long. Inception had an original premise that you could follow to an interesting ending and didn't feel too long at all.

sevilodorf
Tol Eressea

Nov 21 2014, 8:40am

Post #14 of 51 (550 views)
Shortcut
Thanks [In reply to] Can't Post

but not an ereader

Fourth Age Adventures at the Inn of the Burping Troll http://burpingtroll.com
Home of TheOneRing.net Best FanFic stories of 2005 and 2006 "The Last Grey Ship" and "Ashes, East Wind, Hope That Rises" by Erin Rua

(Found in Mathoms, LOTR Tales Untold)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 9:57am

Post #15 of 51 (559 views)
Shortcut
I'm with Kim [In reply to] Can't Post

Interstellar has its moments, but it doesn't come close to Inception as a whole, imo. But seeing how it has generated such polarized reactions, it's definitely worth a visit to the theatre, so you can decide for yourself.

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2014, 1:59pm

Post #16 of 51 (558 views)
Shortcut
"Interstellar" and "Die Nibelungen: Siegfried" [In reply to] Can't Post

Saw Interstellar and liked it well enough, although some parts more than others. I went into the movie looking forward to the journey in outer space the most, but ended up liking the first part of the movie set on earth much more, with all it's grim references to the disaster of overpopulation and shortages of all kinds. The parent-teacher conference in particular sent a chill up my spine, since here in the U.S. we have all too many religious and political fanatics who want to teach fake science and fake history in our public schools, and that future seems quite possible. The second part of the movie set in space had some Hollywood cliches that we've all seen before, but it was OK.

Fritz Lang's 1924 "Die Nibelungen: Siegfried" is something I came across on Amazon Prime and streamed it the other night, and the photography and design are just stunning. The costumes and sets were a sort of spare, Medieval Art Deco, really interesting, and the composition of many of the shots was very formal and almost stylized, and gave them a very epic feeling. Even the dragon, which was essentially a big puppet, managed to look surprisingly gory when he was stabbed. Watching 1920's silent film style acting is a little difficult for me, but after about 20 minutes I was totally into the story and found it very gripping, and I'm looking forward to watching Part II, Kreimhild's Revenge, which I haven't seen yet.

Farewell hope,
and with hope
farewell fear.

John Milton

IdrilofGondolin
Rohan

Nov 21 2014, 2:01pm

Post #17 of 51 (554 views)
Shortcut
Thanks for asking [In reply to] Can't Post

Just saw Interstellar and loved it. Am currently watching "Leverage", "Person of Interest ", "Longmire" and CSI Miami. As you can tell we don't have cableSmile

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 2:18pm

Post #18 of 51 (558 views)
Shortcut
I was sorry to hear longmire got cancelled [In reply to] Can't Post

I liked the show quite a bit.

Leverage, for as enjoyable as it could be, went on too long, IMO. I was ready to say goodbye.

I avoided Person of Interest because of its associations with LOST (referencing Starlings comment to me knowing my feelings about that show... lol)

But I've heard enough good things about it that I've stuck it in my Netflix queue for watching someday.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 3:16pm

Post #19 of 51 (543 views)
Shortcut
oh no! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hadn't heard that "Longmire" was cancelled. Dang. I liked that show.

Since evidence can be adduced and interpreted to corroborate a virtually limitless array of world views, the human challenge is to engage that world view or set of perspectives which brings forth the most valuable, life-enhancing consequences.

- Richard Tarnas, The Passion of the Western Mind

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 3:45pm

Post #20 of 51 (543 views)
Shortcut
I've heard... [In reply to] Can't Post

...that Longmire has been picked up by Netflix. Yep, found it here. I'm not a fan, personally, but my husband is.

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 3:52pm

Post #21 of 51 (541 views)
Shortcut
fantastic! [In reply to] Can't Post

I stay pretty current on entertainment news and I'd missed that.

Thanks for the link.

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:05pm

Post #22 of 51 (531 views)
Shortcut
My husband loves Blue Bloods [In reply to] Can't Post

and has been in the scenes a few times in the background, when they film outside the Lower Manhattan courthouse when he has court there. Tom Selleck seems a very strong and complex character in the show, from the couple times I have watched it.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 5:32pm

Post #23 of 51 (530 views)
Shortcut
any ambivalence on my part [In reply to] Can't Post

... isn't due to the quality. It's more the framework set up of the show. It's a procedural and a strong family show (in that it shows strong familial ties). But neither of those set ups draw me in immensely.

When I watch, however... I am entertained.

I think they do a good job showing complexities of issues. The family is always debating amongst themselves some issue. I don't think we see that a lot on tv.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 21 2014, 5:32pm)

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 6:05pm

Post #24 of 51 (526 views)
Shortcut
Agreed on all points. I have only watched the episodes Mr. B has been in [In reply to] Can't Post

and while it looks like a strong show its not quite my cup of tea either. Plus Mr. B. enjoys watching shows about his profession and I don't (both his AND mine, I can happily miss. So neither cop shows nor medical shows are on my radar.)

It is a very complex family, with polarized views. Yet they stay together.

Meneldor
Valinor

Nov 21 2014, 8:55pm

Post #25 of 51 (517 views)
Shortcut
"AAAAHHHHH!!!!!" [In reply to] Can't Post

(pause)
"AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

Have you ever read the book, by Jon Cleary? Very different from the movie (no big surprise) with several additional characters who add a lot to the story, IMO.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters, these see the works of the Lord, and His wonders in the deep. -Psalm 107

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.