Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
It's the Excedrin headache reading thread!

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 18 2014, 4:32pm

Post #1 of 13 (244 views)
Shortcut
It's the Excedrin headache reading thread! Can't Post

Not only did I wake up with an actual, physical headache this morning Unsure but once I tottered into my office, my email system decided to roll over and play dead. Mad Fortunately I was able to get into TORn!

I'm still reading Over the Edge of the World, about Magellan's circumnavigation of the world. His dwindling fleet has just about crossed the Pacific now. While I thought there was a little too much detail about the politics behind the expedition at the beginning of the book, I'm now enjoying the details of the voyage and the sailors' lives, which were, in the classic expression, nasty, brutish, and short.

Hoping all my 'sibs are having a better morning, I'll ask, what have you been reading?

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Annael
Immortal

Nov 18 2014, 5:04pm

Post #2 of 13 (162 views)
Shortcut
continuing on [In reply to] Can't Post

Just finishing up "The Passion of the Western Mind" at long last. Also almost done with "Wintersmith" in my re-read of the Tiffany Aching books.

I've got the latest "Kencyrath" book by P.C. Hodgell on order. Someone here, many years ago, turned me on to "Godstalk" and I found a copy and read it and immediately thirsted for more books featuring that world and that heroine - which at the time were not available. But fortunately, the others in the series started coming out in a couple more years and now we're up to the sixth book. Unique premise, unique species, unique world - and very well written.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Finding Frodo
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2014, 4:06pm

Post #3 of 13 (136 views)
Shortcut
Shine, Shine, Shine and The Good Lord Bird [In reply to] Can't Post

Feel better soon, Lily! It's hard to do anything with a headache, even read a good book.

I recommend Shine, Shine, Shine by Lydia Netzer. Some other good reads recently (as I just had to consult my Goodreads app to find that author's name): Small Blessings by Martha Woodroof and Chestnut Street by Maeve Binchy. These were all really enjoyable and satisfying stories.

I just started The Good Lord Bird and it hasn't drawn me in yet, but I'll keep at it for a bit. I've been reading a lot lately, which may explain why my house is so messy. I'm home with a sick kiddo today, so I should take advantage of the time to tackle some neglected chores.

Where's Frodo?

(This post was edited by Finding Frodo on Nov 19 2014, 4:14pm)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 12:14pm

Post #4 of 13 (121 views)
Shortcut
I loved that book on Magellan [In reply to] Can't Post

I thought it read like an action-adiventure story, so being true to life just made it better. I sometimes think about it when I'm on an airplane, complaining to myself about how annoying travel can be, and I remember how vastly worse it used to be, especially all those poor sailors getting scurvy and not knowing why or how to treat it, among other perils and pains.

I hope your headache cleared up quickly.

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 12:38pm

Post #5 of 13 (127 views)
Shortcut
Changes by Jim Butcher [In reply to] Can't Post

Still making my way through the Dresden files and truly enjoying the experience. In Changes, everything....changes. The series turns darker and more desperate.

Hope you are feeling better, Lily!

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Lily Fairbairn
Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 3:47pm

Post #6 of 13 (118 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, everyone. The headache finally dissipated // [In reply to] Can't Post

Where now the horse and the rider? Where is the horn that was blowing?
Where is the helm and the hauberk, and the bright hair flowing?
Where is the hand on the harpstring, and the red fire glowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the tall corn growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow....

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2014, 5:48pm

Post #7 of 13 (121 views)
Shortcut
I thought Butcher had been mean to Dresden [In reply to] Can't Post

in the series leading up to Changes, but Changes was a whole new level of "Aw, hell...."

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 20 2014, 6:12pm

Post #8 of 13 (120 views)
Shortcut
Equal Rites by Terry Pratchett [In reply to] Can't Post

I've read it before, but I was browsing through my kindle and there it was. This is a story about a girl who wants to be both a witch and a wizard, and is told that girls can't be wizards. I believe this book was the one to introduce one of my favorite characters, Granny Weatherwax. And Eskarina foreshadows Tiffany Aching, who shows up much, much later in the series (and meets Eskarina in a surprise encounter.)

I've also started Trollope's Barchester Towers, which somebody here recommended a while back, though I can't remember who. I'm only a few pages in, so I don't know if I'll like it or not.

Glad to hear you're feeling better, Lily. A bad migraine can make a person feel "sick unto death".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 6:51pm

Post #9 of 13 (115 views)
Shortcut
Haha - yeah [In reply to] Can't Post

It's often hard to tell wether Butcher hates Dresden or not :)

If he actually likes him, I'd sure hate to get on his bad side!

Notta

Happiness: money matters, but less than we think and not in the way that we think. Family is important and so are friends, while envy is toxic -- and so is excessive thinking. Beaches are optional. Trust is not. Neither is gratitude. - The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner as summarized by Lily Fairbairn. And a bit of the Hobbit reading thrown in never hurts. - NottaSackville

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 7:35pm

Post #10 of 13 (113 views)
Shortcut
Yes, "Changes" was a very literal title, wasn't it? [In reply to] Can't Post

I mean, I expected changes to occur, but not to that scale!

My Costuming Site
TORn's Costume Discussions Archive

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 8:16pm

Post #11 of 13 (110 views)
Shortcut
Yes [In reply to] Can't Post

Oddly - it didn't dawn on me how prophetic that title was until after I was done with the book. And then I went "whooooaaa".

Notta

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 8:18pm

Post #12 of 13 (112 views)
Shortcut
Any book with Granny Weatherwax is a good book [In reply to] Can't Post

With Pratchett, I'm never sure of what order the books are in, so I don't know where a character was introduced.

But she's one of the all-time greats.

Notta

NottaSackville
Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 8:18pm

Post #13 of 13 (121 views)
Shortcut
Glad to hear it! // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.