The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
In anticipation of BOFTA and other much-anticipated year-end movies
First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All
Poll: In anticipation of BOFTA and other much-anticipated year-end movies
I prefer to sit as close to the screen as possible
I prefer to sit in the back
I prefer to sit in the balcony
I have to sit as close to center as possible
I like sitting far away from the speakers (they're deafening!)
I like sitting close to the speakers (clarity!)
I don't care where as long as I get a seat
I prefer to see movies by myself
I prefer to see movies with my significant other
I prefer to see movies with a buddy
I prefer to see movies with a bunch of friends or like-minded people
I have no preferences when it comes to viewing companions
I have no real preferences -- the movie is the only thing that matters
I would rather wait and watch a movie at home than go to the cinema
I always get something to eat or drink at the cinema --it's part of the experience
I rarely visit the theater's concession stand
I sneak my own snacks in!
I can't enjoy a movie and eat/drink at the same time
Other (please explain)
View Results (179 votes)

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 20 2014, 2:57pm

Post #1 of 34 (1316 views)
Shortcut
In anticipation of BOFTA and other much-anticipated year-end movies Can't Post

please take a moment to vote and share your ideal cinema viewing preferences. Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 5:17pm

Post #2 of 34 (1057 views)
Shortcut
Dead centre, [In reply to] Can't Post

3 rows from the screen, water to drink only, and preferably under 20 people in the theatre, and if anyone sits too near me I will move if I can.
I enjoy a spartan viewing experience. Cool

Annael
Immortal

Nov 20 2014, 5:26pm

Post #3 of 34 (1065 views)
Shortcut
dead center, will go alone or with any amount of people, sneak in my own snacks [In reply to] Can't Post

It's ridiculous what food costs in most American theaters. I'll stop by the stop-n-rob on the way & pick up my M&Ms for a dollar instead of paying the $3.25 they'd charge me in the theater.

My local indie theater is the exception. They have the BEST popcorn that they put real butter on, plus an entire shelf of things we can shake over our portion. They also carry locally made candies and cookies, Ben & Jerry ice cream bars, artisan soft drinks, and good herbal teas. And they don't overcharge. I'm happy to buy food & drink from them. (They also have an over-21 theater with sofas, cushy chairs, coffee tables, a menu of starters from the restaurant next door, and a bar - we go for "dinner-and-a-movie" a lot.)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 20 2014, 5:50pm

Post #4 of 34 (1052 views)
Shortcut
Stop-n-rob? [In reply to] Can't Post

Que?

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 20 2014, 6:20pm

Post #5 of 34 (1050 views)
Shortcut
I answered both center and back. [In reply to] Can't Post

When I was a kid I always sat in the back so I could sit up and see if somebody was in front of me, but Uncle Baggins prefers the center, so we've been sitting there for almost 40 years, and it feels natural now. With stadium seating it doesn't really matter.

I almost always go to the movies with him, though sometimes our adult kids come with us too, which is fun. I occasionally see a movie by myself, when we want to see different movies. We'll go to the theater together, split up, and then meet afterward. But we don't do that often.

We generally eat a meal before going to the movies. I haven't bought anything at the concession stand since about 1970, I think. (Used to get Black Cows back then.) But when we watch movies at home we make popcorn.

And one detail I didn't see mentioned in your list, though I may have just missed it. I always take earplugs. If I forget them, I'll use toilet paper from the bathroom. With earplugs in, the sound level is about right.

I also didn't see any question about 3D. I don't have problems with it as a concept, but practically the glasses don't fit well and they make the colors dark, so I prefer 2D for that reason.

Oh, and I didn't notice your question about viewing at home. I do prefer that. I can get up and pee whenever I want, we can eat popcorn for cheap, and we don't have to deal with rude people (and if we do, they're our own loved ones and we can rein them in.)

(This post was edited by Aunt Dora Baggins on Nov 20 2014, 6:25pm)

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 20 2014, 6:24pm

Post #6 of 34 (1050 views)
Shortcut
Sometimes it depends but [In reply to] Can't Post

Generally I like to sit more towards the back and off to the side unless it's not packed and the center is not all cramped (but I expect at least the early screening of BotFA to be pretty full) and at least the first time I prefer to go by myself so I can completely focus on the movie.

Usually when I go to movies I'll have some popcorn and a soda but again, first time vieweing BotFA I might just go with a small soda. I don't want any distractions.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 20 2014, 7:10pm

Post #7 of 34 (1045 views)
Shortcut
I prefer to go alone [In reply to] Can't Post

Dead centre or back of the theatre, no snacks and a bottle of water. Simple. Smile

Elarie
Grey Havens

Nov 20 2014, 9:59pm

Post #8 of 34 (1033 views)
Shortcut
Front and center, please! [In reply to] Can't Post

Smile I like to be close to the screen with very little else in my field of vision, so that's where I sit when I'm by myself. When with other people it's different - the general consensus seems to be in the center, but much farther back, and that's OK, too. As for the snacks - I do often sneak in some trail mix, etc. and occasionally a bottle of diet coke, but usually the drink comes from the concession stand. Popcorn, however, (with extra butter) is reserved for Middle Earth and Star Trek - LOL when you've waited FOREVER for something, it deserves popcorn. Smile Which brings up a brand new problem for me - I got my Hobbit marathon ticket today, so....is that 3 popcorns with extra butter??? Hmmm...better wear sweatpants. Tongue

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 20 2014, 10:34pm

Post #9 of 34 (1039 views)
Shortcut
Center, front, with Wifey, [In reply to] Can't Post

Watch a movie without popcorn and a drink? Horrors!!

One theater chain you can buy a large popcorn bucket for $20 and it's free refills the rest of the year. (I love to get one last refill as we leave the theater to take home.) And kinda the same with a large drink: buy a large "loyalty cup" for $4.75 and get $1 refills for the rest of the year.

And there's another multiplex that if you wear their $25 logo t-shirt to the theater you'll get free popcorn.

BTW, Wifey loves Raisinettes.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 20 2014, 10:52pm

Post #10 of 34 (1032 views)
Shortcut
Center, with like-minded people and snacks [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO, sitting in the center of the theater is best because you're not so far away from the screen that it's harder to get immersed in the story, but you're not so close that you have to crane your neck around to see everything. You're also not so close to the speakers that you go deaf in one or both ears. This is especially a concern when you see IMAX because, WOW, the sound can be so loud in there it rattles your ribcage!

As far as who to go with, I like going with like-minded people, which for me are usually family members. Last year, my aunt paid me a special visit and I saw DOS with her and my mom and we had a great time! This year, who I go with will depend on whether or not my grandma (I call her Grammy) is able to visit me along with my aunt. If Grammy visits, my dad will have to stay home with her because she's 90 yrs old and can barely get into our house anymore, much less the theater, and I'll see BotFA with just my mom and my aunt again. If Grammy doesn't come and my aunt visits me by herself, my dad will get to go see BotFA with my mom, aunt and me.

Snacks: Most of the time I like getting a snack when I go to the theater, but I have to be careful that I'm not eating them on an empty stomach because then I'll get queasy before the end of the movie without fail.Crazy My fave snacks are popcorn and/or chocolate-covered raisins. Occasionally I'll get a soda, but I usually prefer water because it's less likely to cause the aforementioned queasiness when combined with the popcorn/raisins.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 12:21am

Post #11 of 34 (1025 views)
Shortcut
it's what my bro-in-law calls convenience stores [In reply to] Can't Post

the 24-hour stores usually attached to a gas station. Infamous for being robbed a lot.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 21 2014, 12:22am

Post #12 of 34 (1018 views)
Shortcut
Ah. Yes, well-named. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 5:05am

Post #13 of 34 (1007 views)
Shortcut
We could go together [In reply to] Can't Post

I promise not to sit too close to you. Cool

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 5:41am

Post #14 of 34 (1002 views)
Shortcut
well... [In reply to] Can't Post

For theaters with lots of leg room, I like middle of the theater from left to right and just a little higher than middle from front to back.

At our neighborhood vintage theater, I have a particular spot I like. At the front of the theater, the slope is rather gentle and it can be hard to see over the person in front of you. And at the back of the theater, the slope is steeper but there is almost no leg room. There's a row right as you walk into the theater with lots of leg room and a slope slightly higher than the rows in front of it.

That's my spot. At this theater, we sit near the end of the row so my husband can easily get up to go to the bathroom. lol.

I love love love popcorn but I know it's bad for you (theater popcorn anyhow). I can say I almost never buy it at full price theaters because it's just way too stupidly expensive. But it's a little more reasonable at my neighborhood theater. You can get a good sized bucket of corn and a large pop for $5 and it's real butter. But we maybe buy popcorn one out of 8-10 times when we visit this theater. Every rare once in a while, I buy some kind of chocolate candy. Nonpareils or maybe chocolate covered raisins. I avoid the peanut candies because they go rancid quickly in the warm cases.

I can go to movies with myself or with my family. I don't really go with friends except for some of the LOTR events.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 10:00am

Post #15 of 34 (995 views)
Shortcut
That would be perfect! [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad we live so far from one another. FrownTongue

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 10:05am

Post #16 of 34 (997 views)
Shortcut
It's not that far... [In reply to] Can't Post

if you travel via winged fell beast. Smile

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 10:36am

Post #17 of 34 (1000 views)
Shortcut
True [In reply to] Can't Post

You wouldn't have one available for hire, by any change? Angelic

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2014, 1:49pm

Post #18 of 34 (983 views)
Shortcut
Movies + eats = nostalgia :-) [In reply to] Can't Post

I stopped buying anything for myself at the theater for all the reasons others have given and still don't, despite new temptations like fresh smoothies or gelato. But back in yesteryear, the concession stand treats could totally compensate for a boring movie. Besides popcorn, which must be buttery and must be warm, my faves were Good 'n Plenty, M&Ms or something I haven't seen anywhere in ages, Spearmint Leaves. Does anyone else remember them? They were gumdrop candies and my dear dad's must-have.

We do enjoy making popcorn when watching a movie at home and like it popped the old fashioned way. Mr. Elf's specialty is adding freshly grated Parmesan, which is rather awesome.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 21 2014, 1:58pm

Post #19 of 34 (990 views)
Shortcut
Besides BOTFA, what other movies are you looking forward to seeing? [In reply to] Can't Post

We're taking the child and her posse to see Mockingjay tomorrow at a new XD deluxe theater that's opened just 3 miles from home (no more driving 20 miles away, yay!!). So that's the first one to cross off my list. Also want to see Imitation Game, Into The Woods and Big Eyes, though the last one I probably will wait to see at home.

Also, for BOTFA , I'm determined to finally see it in HFR since I haven't thus far and well, it's my last chance. Tongue But not on the first viewing; classic 2D suits me fine for that.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 2:26pm

Post #20 of 34 (985 views)
Shortcut
we see very few full price movies [In reply to] Can't Post

So I might say I'm looking forward to seeing interstellar and hunger games but it will be months before I see them.

The Maze Runner is coming to my second run theater soon. I'm looking forward to that, lol.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 3:28pm

Post #21 of 34 (980 views)
Shortcut
The Imitation Game tops my list [In reply to] Can't Post

can't seem to find a simple LIST of upcoming movies. My usual source, comingsoon.com, has become very user-unfriendly.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 21 2014, 5:33pm

Post #22 of 34 (989 views)
Shortcut
Well... [In reply to] Can't Post

Into the Woods (Finally!!),
The Imitation Game (biopic of Alan Turing),
Red Army (documentary about the Soviet hockey team),
Miss Meadows (elementary school teacher by day, vigilante by night),
Big Eyes (Tim Burton's take on the fraud trial between "big eye" painter Margaret Keane and the husband who took credit for her work.),
King Arthur (supposedly a return to Mallory),
Ungli (vigilantes in India humiliiate corrupt goverment officials),
Antarctica: A Year on Ice (documentary about spending a year in Antarctica),
Free the Nipple (Lina Esco's seriocomedy about women's efforts to decriminalize the female body),
Mr. Turner (biopic of British painter J.M.W. Turner),
Spare Parts (poor school robot club competes against reigning champion MIT),
Coming Home (Yimou Zhang's film about husband and wife separated by China's Cultural Revolution, husband finds wife, wife has amnesia)

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 21 2014, 6:50pm

Post #23 of 34 (972 views)
Shortcut
Mr Turner [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm really looking forward to this too. I love Timothy Spall.

joec_34
Rivendell

Nov 21 2014, 7:07pm

Post #24 of 34 (969 views)
Shortcut
Comfortable eye-line [In reply to] Can't Post

I like to sit in a seat located such that while sitting in it with my head resting on the seat, my eye-line is roughly centered in the screen. Usually this works out to roughly centered in the theater, but sometimes it is not. The snacks are too expensive! I sometimes sneak in a can of cola though. Evil

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2014, 4:30am

Post #25 of 34 (955 views)
Shortcut
Center-ish with Beamer and my Hobbit, who get... [In reply to] Can't Post

respectively, Milk Duds or Whoppers, and Skittles. Unless we're at the Bagdad in Portland, in which case it's lovely to share a pizza in the balcony. We approach drinks with extreme caution because potty breaks are evil.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.