Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
BOFA Spoiler Questions Requested - Answers
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

frodo284
The Shire

Nov 19 2014, 6:40am

Post #1 of 155 (9555 views)
Shortcut
BOFA Spoiler Questions Requested - Answers Can't Post

Okay I received a bunch of questions and I've done my best to weed through and answer most of them how I can for now. A moderator suggested I hide them so you can highlight if you dare see the answers! There are def some SPOILERS in here....

How to you think the critics will like this movie compared to the other two?

I see critics somewhat bashing the film in the sense that it doesn’t live up to ROTK which it will be expected too in some aspects (IMO). That being said, I feel it will be respected on a different level as it is it’s own story and film at the same time. This movie does not rise to the same level of monumental feel at the battle sequences that ROTK held (tapping of spears, speeches, and glorious gallops into battle with triumphant music). This is a different feel, a sense of drama and tension between mutual armies quarreling over differences. So on one hand it’s great in it’s own way, but comparing to something that won best picture in 2003 might be a bit of a challenge!

Is Dain as badass as he should be?

IMO no, he was goofy and more like comedy. A bit disappointing. Dialogue was a bit ridiculous.

Do we get to see what happens to each of the Dwarves after the battle (ie. Balin in Moria)?

NO

How prominent is Thranduil in the film?

Very much!

Is Smaug talking at all in the movie ?

YES, great dialogue!

Is the film emotional enough? Does it make you feel in the way we did during ROTK?

Not at all. But it def has a few moments that touched me.

Is Dain crowned king or is it at least clear that he is king?

No

Does Dain kill Azog and Beorn kill Bolg like in the book?

No and No

What About the auction scene?

Bag End is being auctioned when he arrives home and The Sackville Baggins’ are there taking his stuff!

Is Thorin's death (and final scene) exactly like, or at least close to, the books?

No - In a final battle with Azog on the ice, they wound each other. He does make peace with Bilbo, but no burial nor any scene with Beorn.

What happens to Tauriel?

Tauriel is left with grief after the loss of Kili and asks Thranduil to take love away if this is what it feels like. He tells her it hurts because it was real. This is all we really see of her before the end.

How does Bard kill Smaug (Windlance or Bow and Arrow)?

Neither, technically. No bird delivers the message but he spots the missing scale himself. In an intense scene bard self makes a bow between two blades and a scrap of bowstring. He props the black arrow balanced on his sons shoulder to aim.

How/by whos hand does Fili and Kili die?

Azog

Does the ending feel satisfactory? Do pretty much all main characters have their storylines wrapped up?

It feels very open-ended IMO. The Dwarves do not really get a closing. Bilbo is invited to celebrate at the end but he leaves. His goodbye’s (dialogue) is really only with Balin (the old one).

Does Thorin get his final death scene with Bilbo from the book?

Yes he dies making amends to Bilbo.

Do we get any kind of reprisal of the Dwaves' "Over the Misty Mountains" song from AUJ? And if so, what are the circumstances?

Sadly, no. This would have been a nice touch now that you bring it up!

What is the ending, specifically?

Bilbo is in his home, empty and all the auctioned items have not been replaced. We cut to his hand w/ the ring in it. Then we cut to an older hand and zoom out to old Bilbo putting it in his pocket only to hear a knock at the door and Gandalf arriving. Camera pulls into the Lonely Mountain drawing/map while hearing Bilbo/Gandalf dialogue “and what about very old friends” etc. Map fades into nice drawings of Top Billed characters w/ “The Last Goodbye” playing.

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 6:46am

Post #2 of 155 (4558 views)
Shortcut
Very disappointed if this is true. [In reply to] Can't Post

No coronation for Dain? No burial for Thorin? Beorn only makes a brief appearance - and doesn't kill Bolg? We don't get to see what occurs between Saruman and Sauron? *sigh* It sounds like a lot got cut due to PJ's desire to maintain a "snappy pace" - for the final ME film, no less!

EDIT:

What is Thranduil's motivation for going to Erebor? Do we get a line similar to "Long will I tarry, ere I begin this war for gold" or does he come off as an antagonist?

(This post was edited by thomasofrohan on Nov 19 2014, 6:49am)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 6:50am

Post #3 of 155 (4299 views)
Shortcut
Very disappointing, indeed [In reply to] Can't Post

UnimpressedUnsureFrown

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Nov 19 2014, 6:53am)

frodo284
The Shire

Nov 19 2014, 6:51am

Post #4 of 155 (4435 views)
Shortcut
Thranduil [In reply to] Can't Post

He wants his jewels back! And yes, somewhat of an Antagonist.

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 6:52am

Post #5 of 155 (4141 views)
Shortcut
How well does the film portray Thorin's "dragon sickness"? [In reply to] Can't Post

My concern is that, by making Thranduil more of an antagonist, Thorin seems justified in guarding the mountain, and the point should be that he's not in the right state of mind.

thomasofrohan
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 6:57am

Post #6 of 155 (4081 views)
Shortcut
Can you elaborate on Dain's dialogue? [In reply to] Can't Post

What particular lines/moments stood out to you as "ridiculous"?

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 7:11am

Post #7 of 155 (4086 views)
Shortcut
If this is true, [In reply to] Can't Post

...the lack of a coronation for Dain and Bard makes no sense. They spent a decent chunk of time establishing Bard as a "champion of the people" who leads the refugees into Dale. Why not show, or even suggest, that he becomes the new King of Dale? Similarly, leaving the audience wondering if the kingdom of Erebor is ever restored makes no sense whatsoever. Much time has been spent throughout these films talking about the importance of reuniting the dwarves, but nothing changes after Thorin's death? ;/ I've loved the films so far - especially for the attention to detail - but it seems like BotFA is missing out on some significant details.

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 19 2014, 4:46pm)

frodo284
The Shire

Nov 19 2014, 7:13am

Post #8 of 155 (4305 views)
Shortcut
dragon sickness [In reply to] Can't Post

I was gonna elaborate on this more in my review in a couple weeks. The Dragon Sickness is VERY much played upon and very well I might add. Thorin is the best part of this movie to me.

Looke89

Nov 19 2014, 7:14am

Post #9 of 155 (4030 views)
Shortcut
Beorn [In reply to] Can't Post

Are there any fighting scenes with Beorn in bear-form at all?

NecromancerRising
Gondor

Nov 19 2014, 7:14am

Post #10 of 155 (4121 views)
Shortcut
There are some identical and some really contradictory [In reply to] Can't Post

answers to these questions between you and another folk who claims he was a winner of the fan contest and saw the final cut of the film.I think i am going to skip and ignore all answers unti there is solid proof from folks that have actually seen the film.Crazy

"You cannot find peace by avoiding life"

frodo284
The Shire

Nov 19 2014, 7:15am

Post #11 of 155 (4338 views)
Shortcut
Bard's role [In reply to] Can't Post

It's def insinuated that Bard is the leader now, especially after the Master's demise. Alfred def makes sure everyone is respecting Bard.

MatthewJer18
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 7:20am

Post #12 of 155 (3995 views)
Shortcut
How does the Master die, if I may ask? [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm a fan of Stephen Fry - I'm guessing he doesn't have much more screentime than he did in DoS.

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 7:26am

Post #13 of 155 (4160 views)
Shortcut
Spoiling [In reply to] Can't Post

Can´t we have a thread for only light spoilers. I want to know general things about the film, but no specifics.

boldog
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 7:40am

Post #14 of 155 (4045 views)
Shortcut
this is depressing [In reply to] Can't Post

Frown
I hope that this is either all a big troll, or it is a very far off finished product.
How in this world can peter jackson leave the story without closing storylines! Who cares what critics and the general audience says! He lets their comments take control of how he edits the film.
It almost feels like the "short length" is more important than making a quality film at a good pace, without leaving story arcs still open!

Im praying that you are a trollMad

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

boldog
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 7:41am

Post #15 of 155 (3968 views)
Shortcut
but if your not a troll [In reply to] Can't Post

Is there any reference of Bolg being related to Azog?

lidlessEye
Rivendell

Nov 19 2014, 7:43am

Post #16 of 155 (3996 views)
Shortcut
From the Visual-Companion Book [In reply to] Can't Post

It was said, that there were creatures like moles, giant shrews and worms - digging holes in the battlefield, so that the orcs can show up by surprise.

do such creatures appear and do the orcs show through some holes on the battlefield?

Other question:
you told, that Legolas & Tauriel are at some what might be Minas Morgul (I think it might be Gundabad) - do we see the inside of this place or do we just see the roof with the bats flying (like in the Trailer)
Why are Legolas and Tauriel there

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 7:52am

Post #17 of 155 (3839 views)
Shortcut
I share the sentiment, boldog [In reply to] Can't Post

And what's up with Dáin being a bit of a goofball? Azog get's the main kills? I feel like Bolg (you know, the baddie from the novel) has had his role substantially lessened now that I know this. I don't believe his inclusion was even necessary now. I'm also a little disappointed that Dáin and Beorn won't be taking out those two infamous orcs like their literary counterparts. And I'm not particularly fond of the ending either. It works but I still think Gandalf showing up at Bag End like he does in FotR is redundant.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Nov 19 2014, 7:54am)

There&ThereAgain
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 7:55am

Post #18 of 155 (3812 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo doesn't finish the book until he reaches Rivendell right? [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember right now. It would seem weird for him to remember the whole story right before Gandalf shows up at his house in FOTR. Crazy

"The world is indeed full of peril, and in it there are many dark places; but still there is much that is fair; and though in all lands love is now mingled with grief, it grows perhaps the greater."-J.R.R. Tolkien

"Thanks for the money!" -George Lucas

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 7:57am

Post #19 of 155 (3928 views)
Shortcut
I can answer that [In reply to] Can't Post

Here:http://newboards.theonering.net/...b=post_time;so=DESC;Cool

In Reply To
Is there any reference of Bolg being related to Azog?

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Nov 19 2014, 8:01am)

boldog
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 8:05am

Post #20 of 155 (3807 views)
Shortcut
i sure hope that reference makes the cut [In reply to] Can't Post

One more quick question. What role does Bolg have in the climax?

nobofthepony
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 8:07am

Post #21 of 155 (3974 views)
Shortcut
I hate to say it.... [In reply to] Can't Post

But I wish the 4chan guy was telling the truth after reading this. Kind of dull compared to what I'd hoped it would be.

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 8:12am

Post #22 of 155 (3760 views)
Shortcut
That's right [In reply to] Can't Post

He wraps up writing at Rivendell. In all honesty, I had expected the epilogue (or ending sequence) to begin with a shot of Old Bilbo still sat at his bench and subtly snapping out of his reminiscence. And I had expected it to end with him walking back into his home and the last shot of this trilogy being the round green door of Bag End. Or something or other, you know? Like I said, what the OP describes can work just fine but it's not something I'm particularly keen on.

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Nov 19 2014, 8:19am)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 19 2014, 8:17am

Post #23 of 155 (3762 views)
Shortcut
I'd venture to guess . . . [In reply to] Can't Post

. . . that Bolg has the role of dealing with Tauriel and Legolas.

frodo284 will come along at some point and give us the details.

In Reply To
One more quick question. What role does Bolg have in the climax?

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Nov 19 2014, 8:18am)

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2014, 8:19am

Post #24 of 155 (3737 views)
Shortcut
I think that might be quite a specific assumption [In reply to] Can't Post

On what is necessary to close out a storyline. A coronation or burial is only one way to go.

Mooseboy018
Grey Havens

Nov 19 2014, 8:19am

Post #25 of 155 (3745 views)
Shortcut
writing [In reply to] Can't Post

I never imagined the bookend scenes to coincide with the exact time of Bilbo's writing anyway. After the prologue of AUJ the movie begins while Bilbo isn't even writing. He's reminiscing about everything, not necessarily writing down the entire story while doing it. If it were supposed to be that literal, the Dol Guldur scenes wouldn't be there to begin with.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.