Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Which Plotline In The Hobbit Movies Is Your Favorite?
Poll: Which Plotline In The Hobbit Movies Is Your Favorite?
Bilbo's Adventure (Bilbo)
Thorin's Quest (The Dwarves)
White Council vs. Dol Guldur (Gandalf, Saruman, Galadriel, Elrond, Sauron, the Ringwraiths)
The Plight of Lake-town (Bard, Alfrid, the Master)
The Woodland Realm's Choice (Thranduil, Legolas, Tauriel)
View Results (59 votes)

KingTurgon
Rohan

Nov 18 2014, 5:27pm

Post #1 of 12 (860 views)
Shortcut
Which Plotline In The Hobbit Movies Is Your Favorite? Can't Post

There are a number of different plot lines in The Hobbit, I thought it would be cool to see which is the most popular among us.

To clarify the last two choices, for the fifth one I meant the whole dynamic between Thranduil, Legolas, and Tauriel of whether the Woodland Realm should help with the outside world or not. I see the whole Kili/Tauriel thing as an intersection of plots 2 and 5. Similarly, for option 4 I meant it to encompass the whole situation of Lake-Town - should they risk death or should they stay in their currently corrupt society?

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 18 2014, 7:10pm

Post #2 of 12 (606 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's Adventure // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 18 2014, 7:20pm

Post #3 of 12 (637 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's moral journey [In reply to] Can't Post

Kinda lost so far. I'm hoping the theft of the Arkenstone and betrayal of the dwarves will cause a bit more focus on his development from the childlike/childish innocent of The Hobbit to the morally complex character he is in LOTR.

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 19 2014, 1:07am

Post #4 of 12 (608 views)
Shortcut
Thorin's Quest (naturally)... [In reply to] Can't Post

with the White Council vs. Dol Guldur a close second. It may be called The Hobbit, but I've always found it's more Thorin's story than Bilbo's. Our little hobbit friend just plays a part in it (but I still don't like him taking the Arkenstone, even if it is to more protect Thorin in the latest movie version). Just remember, the story is written from Bilbo's point of view, so of course it's going to be called The Hobbit, but that doesn't mean it has to always focus on Bilbo. If it weren't for Thorin (as well as Gandalf, who is responsible for setting the whole thing in motion), there wouldn't be a quest to go on in the first place.Smile

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 19 2014, 11:30am

Post #5 of 12 (601 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo/Thorin // [In reply to] Can't Post

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 20 2014, 6:30pm

Post #6 of 12 (658 views)
Shortcut
White Council and Dol Guldur [In reply to] Can't Post

I still remember when, back in 2012, I saw the first blurry picture of the White Council in Rivendell and it was at that moment that my excitement level went from mildly interested to as excited as I had been about the LotR movies ten years earlier. So yeah, the involvement of the White Council is definitely my favourite thing and what sucked me in. I've come to love many other aspects of these movies as well, but that's still the biggest source of excitement for me.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 20 2014, 6:34pm

Post #7 of 12 (582 views)
Shortcut
Me too. [In reply to] Can't Post

Well said.

Arandiel
Grey Havens

Nov 22 2014, 4:24am

Post #8 of 12 (547 views)
Shortcut
What you and Darkstone said, Aunt Dora.// [In reply to] Can't Post

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 6:50pm

Post #9 of 12 (543 views)
Shortcut
Bilbo's storyline [In reply to] Can't Post

I've always liked that The Hobbit stood apart from LOTR as a stand alone fairytale, and Bilbo's 'simple' straight forward journey from a introverted sheltered hobbit to unlikely, moral hero was to me, more engrossing than Frodo's journey in LOTR. Martin Freeman captures Bilbo perfectly, and shines when he gets the chance, unfortunately (as others have indicated) his storyline has been lost under a mountain of appendices material, expansions and fabrications, many of which I simply find tedious or extraneous, either braking the flow of the story I hoped to see, or feeling oddly tacked on, perhaps it is simple bias on my part, but these films seem to lack the natural flow and pacing the LOTR trilogy did

That said I read The Hobbit after LOTR and enjoyed it more (I wouldn't say it was a better book though) so I'm aware my opnions are somewhat...odd.

The Dol-Guldor storyline was so vague in the books I never saw the need to get too excited about it, Jackson's adapation of this storyline hasn't grabbed me very much so far, though I'm certainly intrigued to see where he takes things in BOTFA.

Although I liked Thorin in the books (shock horror!) Richard Armitage hasn't grabbed me, I found alot of Thorin's heroics and grimacing distracting and protracted in AUJ, to be frank film Thorin just annoys me for some reason, and I don't expect to feel any different come December.

Laketown and the Woodland realm aren't fresh enough in my mind to comment, I only saw DOS once when it first came out, and I'm not really inclined at present to rush out and buy the EE to refresh my memory, though I remember thinking Lee Pace owned every scene he was in.

Admittedly It's probably a little odd I'm posting on a forum dedicated to films I feel so ambiguous towards, but I guess that explains my ever decreasing post count here...

Mad Hatter of Middle-Earth
Lorien

Nov 24 2014, 8:32pm

Post #10 of 12 (546 views)
Shortcut
The White Council/Dol Guldur plotline for sure! [In reply to] Can't Post

That storyline is about 75% of what I love about these movies.

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Nov 25 2014, 4:44pm

Post #11 of 12 (527 views)
Shortcut
What? No Smaug? [In reply to] Can't Post

The idea that he is in league with Sauron is pretty intriguing to me - but I suppose that could be part of the White Council v. Dol Goldur subplot. Glad you left out the Azog subplot, really could live without that one. Thorin will redeem himself well enough without Azog's help.

Bracegirdle
Valinor

Nov 28 2014, 6:53pm

Post #12 of 12 (558 views)
Shortcut
The growth of Bilbo... // [In reply to] Can't Post

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.