The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Will Azog acknowledge his son?

NateGate
Rivendell

Nov 18 2014, 4:12pm

Post #1 of 16 (1234 views)
Shortcut
Will Azog acknowledge his son? Can't Post

I'm still surprised by the overwhelming majority of people who think that Bolg is just "a random orc chieftain" or a "copy of Azog". Do you think that audiences will learn that Bolg is Azog's son in BOT5A or no?

Drakblod
Rivendell

Nov 18 2014, 4:24pm

Post #2 of 16 (838 views)
Shortcut
I'm hoping.. [In reply to] Can't Post

Gandalf mentions it. Maybe they do something like his awesome line in the book when he tells them that the goblins are here, he could go something like “Dread has come upon you all! Bolg, spawn of Azog, is coming!

like butter scraped over too much bread.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 18 2014, 4:37pm

Post #3 of 16 (820 views)
Shortcut
"Bolg, I am your father!" [In reply to] Can't Post

"Nooooo..., er, wait. That's a good thing."

"And Thorin is your sister."

"If you're going to start talking about orcs being created by intelligent microscopic life forms living symbiotically inside our cells I'm outta here."

"Kai provseisi, kai avpeisi."
("There and back again.")
-Heraclitus of Ephesus, c. 500 BC

Glorfindela
Valinor

Nov 18 2014, 4:39pm

Post #4 of 16 (794 views)
Shortcut
To be honest [In reply to] Can't Post

I couldn't care less. None of the Orcs in the ME books or films are memorable to me. It's the least of my concerns with these films. Unimpressed

Bombadil
Half-elven

Nov 18 2014, 4:57pm

Post #5 of 16 (725 views)
Shortcut
Bomzz IZzz..with Glor, on thizzz ONE! [In reply to] Can't Post

DON'T Give us Nightmares
about ORC SEX...
Yikezzz!

Crazy

www.charlie-art.biz
"What Your Mind can conceive... charlie can achieve"

(This post was edited by Bombadil on Nov 18 2014, 4:58pm)

NateGate
Rivendell

Nov 18 2014, 5:01pm

Post #6 of 16 (723 views)
Shortcut
Believe it or not... [In reply to] Can't Post

There are freaks who enjoy that kind of stuff...don't ever go to fanfiction.net boys and girls.

Danielos
Rohan

Nov 18 2014, 5:09pm

Post #7 of 16 (736 views)
Shortcut
Racism against orchs [In reply to] Can't Post

I think Peter Jackson wants to avoid it. If audiences knew that orchs are parents, have children, families, then it become clear that they are intelligent beings with emotions and a Community. Then it becomes a lot harder to just use the mass-slaughter of orchs as hilarious entertainment. I really hope if orchs existed in our world that they wouldn´t be treated the way they are in these films.

Crunchable Birdses
Rohan

Nov 18 2014, 5:54pm

Post #8 of 16 (663 views)
Shortcut
Dunno, maybe not [In reply to] Can't Post

It seems to me that Bolg was included in these films to give Legolas a nemesis, rather than provide a father-son orc dynamic.

If Bolg was to be introduced as Azog's son, I get the feeling they would have done it at the start of DoS.

* crunch *

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 18 2014, 6:31pm

Post #9 of 16 (666 views)
Shortcut
Well, there are two questions there.... [In reply to] Can't Post

Do I think Azog will refer specifically to Bolg as his son - no probably not. He might, but I can't imagine the circumstances or the conversation.

But as for the second question - will the audience learn that Bolg is Azog's son - I think that's a bit more likely. Another character - Gandalf perhaps, as in the book - might well refer to the relationship between them; the phrase 'spawn of Azog' has come up several times, and that might be used.

Fàfnir
Rohan

Nov 18 2014, 7:23pm

Post #10 of 16 (621 views)
Shortcut
I don't see why he should [In reply to] Can't Post

It doesn't add anything to the story, it would be pure fan service. Bolg only act in the films a second in command for Azog, and have virtually nothing in common with the book bolg except the name. Azog plays Bolg's part, but Bolg is just an original orc boss from the movie verse.

(This post was edited by Fàfnir on Nov 18 2014, 7:23pm)

Fàfnir
Rohan

Nov 18 2014, 7:26pm

Post #11 of 16 (606 views)
Shortcut
I got that robot chicken reference [In reply to] Can't Post

If robot chicken made special Middle Earth shows like they did with Star Wars, I would look forward to it almost as much as BoFA. That's just me of course

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 18 2014, 7:33pm

Post #12 of 16 (779 views)
Shortcut
It has been used *spoiler* [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
the phrase 'spawn of Azog' has come up several times, and that might be used.

Spoiler-filled article from TORn homepage

Bolg is referred to as ‘the spawn of Azog the Defiler’. This may be the first PJverse confirmation that, as in the book, Bolg is Azog’s son.

Since confirmation seems apparent, we will likely hear that phrase from someone at some point during our screening of TBOTFAs.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Nov 18 2014, 7:35pm)

dave_lf
Gondor

Nov 18 2014, 7:40pm

Post #13 of 16 (589 views)
Shortcut
Way back when [In reply to] Can't Post

Jackson (I think) said something about the second movie having a father/son theme due to the presence of three different pairs (Thrain/Thorin, Thranduil/Legolas, Azog/Bolg). Obviously that didn't happen, but it at least shows the relationship is meant to exist even if it isn't mentioned.

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 18 2014, 9:29pm

Post #14 of 16 (536 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, that was a good episode! [In reply to] Can't Post

It's always nice when someone gets a reference.

BTW, it's pretty much the opposite of everything Robot Chicken, but have you seen Lord of the Beans?

"Kai provseisi, kai avpeisi."
("There and back again.")
-Heraclitus of Ephesus, c. 500 BC

(This post was edited by Darkstone on Nov 18 2014, 9:29pm)

adu
Bree

Nov 18 2014, 9:33pm

Post #15 of 16 (536 views)
Shortcut
I sure hope not... [In reply to] Can't Post

I just don't see any need to do that. Actually I prefer them as just two 'unrelated' baddies in this movie universe. Plus, the film has so much dramatic stuff to go through that the last thing the audience needs to know is that there the two ugliest people in the films are related by blood :)

MouthofSauron
Tol Eressea

Nov 19 2014, 3:22am

Post #16 of 16 (483 views)
Shortcut
its kinda obvious [In reply to] Can't Post

bolg and azog look very alike. But i'm sure it will be mentioned in the BOT5A because there are going to be some epic fights between them and our heroes.

The flames of war are upon you..

(This post was edited by MouthofSauron on Nov 19 2014, 3:22am)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.