66+
View Results (90 votes)

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 7 2008, 6:29am

Post #1 of 76 (2256 views)
Shortcut
How old (or young) are you? Can't Post

As old as Treebeard? Or as young as Goldberry?

This comment by "nudge" in the OT forum prompted the idea for this poll:

I guess I assumed that most of the people on here would be 30 or younger!

So. Fess up. What's your age? And no. Of course you don't have to post it here! You can be completely anonymous! Just vote. I think it would be interesting to see a vague average age of the board members here. (Well, at least the ones that participate ;)

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Mar 7 2008, 11:24pm)

Owlyross
Rohan

Mar 7 2008, 11:52am

Post #2 of 76 (1590 views)
Shortcut
No shame, I'm 28 [In reply to] Can't Post

Magpie
Immortal

Mar 7 2008, 12:24pm

Post #3 of 76 (1613 views)
Shortcut
young and old [In reply to] Can't Post

The online soundtrack community is predominately young. As is some of the imdb posters. (There's a mainstay of old folks but the transient population seems to be quite young.) Sometimes, especially when I begin private correspondence when someone for some reason: to discuss lyrics, recommend books to read, etc, I feel a great need to hint at my age (older than book Frodo when he left the Shire). Most young people assume they're talking to another young person online. In most cases, it doesn't really matter but some seem ready to set up a 'chat' relationship and I have to explain I don't 'chat'. I discuss topics in emails (or forum posts) where I can think about and edit my writing but typing in real time conversation is pretty stressful to me.

I reveal my age in those cases because I think many of these young folks that want to 'chat' are too trusting about relationships on the net. (getting into a bit of side topic here) I want them to consciously think, rather than blithely assume about how old the person on the other end of the IM/email is. One said in an initial email, 'how old are you... it would be gross if you were like 30 or something.' I told them (via my stock Frodo comment) and wondered if 55 was less or more gross than 30.

I also went to school with many young people and I actually got along with them quite well. I'm old enough (and I look old... I refuse to dye my hair, for example and I'm strikingly salt and pepper gray) that I become almost a mother type figure. I am excited about their projects, their work, their hopes and dreams and I never nag or fuss like a real mother would. (Not that I don't nag or fuss... I nag and fuss my own with gusto. But I'm not those other kids mother and I don't need to nag them.) And, I'm considerably more hip than many mothers my age. Not hip in a swinging way, but I can use a computer, I know a fair amount about current films (even ones like Kill Bill, 300, Sin City) and I know a smattering about the gaming world. (through my kids) So I can get along, for the most part, quite well with young people and I find them very exciting to watch. They have so much passion and enthusiasm and energy!

Farawyn
Rohan

Mar 7 2008, 1:40pm

Post #4 of 76 (1564 views)
Shortcut
Frickin' Forty. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Darkstone
Immortal

Mar 7 2008, 2:04pm

Post #5 of 76 (1600 views)
Shortcut
55 next thursday [In reply to] Can't Post

Who knew I'd ever get that far? (Still, not there yet.)

And I'll be able to get senior discounts!!

Arwen's daughter
Half-elven

Mar 7 2008, 4:03pm

Post #6 of 76 (1558 views)
Shortcut
I'm 25 // [In reply to] Can't Post

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2008, 4:50pm

Post #7 of 76 (1579 views)
Shortcut
Isn't there an overlap... [In reply to] Can't Post

with 51-65 and 60+. Or was 60+ supposed to be 65+ in which case I am in the wrong place.

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 7 2008, 5:37pm

Post #8 of 76 (1554 views)
Shortcut
Sorry about that. [In reply to] Can't Post

It is supposed to be 65+. I posted the poll without checking it thoroughly enough. :(

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 7 2008, 6:03pm

Post #9 of 76 (1545 views)
Shortcut
Okey, Dokey! [In reply to] Can't Post

Then in your informal poll, I am not over 65, but I am over 51 -- way over 51!

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Mar 7 2008, 6:42pm

Post #10 of 76 (1583 views)
Shortcut
Also Frickin' Forty. [In reply to] Can't Post

Hey, there Farawyn!
How's tricks?

Zmulady
Rohan

Mar 7 2008, 7:20pm

Post #11 of 76 (1555 views)
Shortcut
I'm 40 also [In reply to] Can't Post

RosieLass
Valinor

Mar 7 2008, 11:13pm

Post #12 of 76 (1582 views)
Shortcut
At my age, I apparently should know... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the answer to Life, the Universe, and Everything. Laugh

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 7 2008, 11:25pm

Post #13 of 76 (1515 views)
Shortcut
I've fixed it. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 8 2008, 1:11am

Post #14 of 76 (1511 views)
Shortcut
Thanks a bunch. / [In reply to] Can't Post

Tyler
Lorien

Mar 8 2008, 1:24am

Post #15 of 76 (1578 views)
Shortcut
10 to 20! [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm only 15 and I did assume no offense that you all are 50 + when i first joined. Smile

(This post was edited by Tyler on Mar 8 2008, 1:27am)

stormcrow20
Gondor

Mar 8 2008, 5:06am

Post #16 of 76 (1547 views)
Shortcut
I'm 23 [In reply to] Can't Post

Though I don't really feel it. Suddenly the cartoons, toys and such that I enjoyed as a kid began celebrating 20th anniversaries...a very odd feeling.

Then, while talking to younger cousins, I caught myself saying "When I was your age..." on more than one occasion.

Sometimes I feel like I'm still a kid...other times, I feel ancient. Laugh

Morrowdim
Rivendell

Mar 8 2008, 6:00am

Post #17 of 76 (1510 views)
Shortcut
37 and loving it [In reply to] Can't Post

You couldn't pay me to go backward. I love, love, love being over 35!

Starling
Half-elven

Mar 8 2008, 6:03am

Post #18 of 76 (1513 views)
Shortcut
It's funny [In reply to] Can't Post

I assumed quite quickly when I first discovered TORn, that most people here were in their 30's or older. This was partly because people sometimes mention their children and wider family, but also because everyone here seems so sensible, well-read and thoughtful!

BTW, I'm 41 (mostly sensible, not as well-read as I could be, and the thoughtful part I would have to leave to others to decide.) Wink

Radhruin
Rohan

Mar 8 2008, 7:38am

Post #19 of 76 (1546 views)
Shortcut
Great story here. [In reply to] Can't Post

The anonymity of online interactions can be confusing. Particularly when one isn't crazy about sharing excess info about themselves to the general public.

One said in an initial email, 'how old are you... it would be gross if you were like 30 or something.' I told them (via my stock Frodo comment) and wondered if 55 was less or more gross than 30.

Ha ha. I love this comment of yours. Precisely why I thought this poll would be a hoot. At times we all "think" of the people that post regularly as our "friends", and that they are in our same group (age/social/cultural/ etc....) in some way. Often times, those you seem to have a connection with most, are furthest from your state of life.

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Mar 8 2008, 12:05pm

Post #20 of 76 (1508 views)
Shortcut
While you are at it... [In reply to] Can't Post

can you take me out of that catagory? While I am 60+, I am NOT 66+.

dernwyn
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 8 2008, 3:05pm

Post #21 of 76 (1547 views)
Shortcut
*snicker* [In reply to] Can't Post

Heh, considering how well-versed we all are in Tolkienia, it probably seemed like we'd been studying him for decades!

(Hmm...is that where the term "decadent" came from...? *shoves aside walker, eases self back into rocking chair*)

Wink

nudge
Bree

Mar 8 2008, 3:38pm

Post #22 of 76 (1502 views)
Shortcut
About to graduate high school [In reply to] Can't Post

I guess that gives you a pretty good idea of how old I am. It is a pretty interesting demographic we are dealing with here.

CAhobbit
Rohan

Mar 8 2008, 7:04pm

Post #23 of 76 (1518 views)
Shortcut
Quickly approaching 30 [In reply to] Can't Post

Only a few more months in my 20s. Of course I still don't feel as old as my age I'd say.

silneldor
Half-elven

Mar 9 2008, 1:03am

Post #24 of 76 (1508 views)
Shortcut
Is there anyone here older 'n [In reply to] Can't Post

i am at 58 and 7/12ths...and 4 daysLaugh.

No lyin' diedyeMadSly.

Silverlode
Forum Admin / Moderator

Mar 9 2008, 5:07am

Post #25 of 76 (1502 views)
Shortcut
I'm of legal hobbit age [In reply to] Can't Post

at 33. Cool

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.