Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Reading Room:
Silm question: How many firsters did the pioneering Feanor get under his belt?

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 16 2014, 6:46am

Post #1 of 12 (1066 views)
Shortcut
Silm question: How many firsters did the pioneering Feanor get under his belt? Can't Post

I tried to count. Could anyone validate? Thanks!Smile

1. His mother, Míriel was the first Elf to desire to and willed herself to die
  2. Finwë his father was the first Elf to marry twice
  3. By virtue of Finwë’s second marriage, Fëanor became the first Elf to have half-blooded siblings, and a step-mother
  4. First Elf to have his creation hallowed by the Valar
  5. First Elf to gain fame with his creation
  6. First Elf with clinical OCD
  7. First Elf with a personal grudge with Melkor
  8. First Elf to have a mark put on him by Melkor
  9. First Elf to speak of rebelling against the Valar
  10. First Elf to declare he wants back in on Middle-earth
  11. First Elf to raise his sword at a kindred
  12. First Elf to make a secret forge for weaponry
  13. First Elf to be summoned by the Valar for censure
  14. First Elf to be in the Ring of Doom
  15. First Elf to go into exile
  16. First Elf to cause the abdication of a King
  17. First Elf to hoard weapons and treasure
  18. First Elf to call Melkor out on his game
  19. First Elf to reject Melkor outright
  20. First Elf to curse Melkor outright
  21. First Elf to rename a Vala.
  22. First Elf to slam his door in the face of “the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä”
  23. First Elf to humiliate Melkor
  24. First Elf for whom the Valar mediated among the Quendi
  25. Frist Eldar with a murdered kin.
  26. First Elf to instigate a mass-migration in reverse out of Aman.
  27. First Elf with Kinslaying to his name.
  28. First Elf to abandon his kin.
  29. First Eldar to return to Middle-earth.
  30. First Eldar to wilfully destroy the property/creation of others (the white ships of the Teleri).
  31. First Eldar to spontaneously disintegrate upon death.
  32. First Eldar whose OATH resonated through the Ages, affecting an entire clan.
  33. First Eldar to be condemned to prowl the Halls of Mandos, until the Change of the World.

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Threadcount: XXIV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Nov 16 2014, 6:48am)

boldog
Rohan

Nov 16 2014, 10:12am

Post #2 of 12 (897 views)
Shortcut
One that I can think of [In reply to] Can't Post

First Elf to be slain by Gothmog Lord of Balrogs (or first to be slain by a Balrog)

Azog and Bolg. That is all I can say.............

(This post was edited by boldog on Nov 16 2014, 10:14am)

CuriousG
Half-elven

Nov 17 2014, 1:46am

Post #3 of 12 (849 views)
Shortcut
Amazing list [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm sure his parents wished he was the First at good things instead of notorious ones. Wink

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 17 2014, 3:05am

Post #4 of 12 (821 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, boldog. I was debating that one [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
First Elf to be slain by Gothmog Lord of Balrogs (or first to be slain by a Balrog)

The Silm indicates the Balrogs did not participate in the assault on the Feanorian host, but issued forth from Angband post orc-defeat, as Feanor pursued the retreating orcs. But with the scattered Elves in ME since the Awakening, and with Morgoth picking them up like items on aisles in the supermarket, I'd think Elves have died by Balrogs before Feanor reached ME. I was thinking perhaps this qualifies instead as a "First Eldar" situation, but then he was not alone, and probably others among the handful of Elves with him had been slain before he succumbed to his injuries. Still, it's awesome that Feanor and a handful of Noldor could go up against a mob of Gothmog's baddest.

Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I'm coming to the conclusion of phrasing it like this instead: "First Eldar to be attacked by Gothmog/Balrogs"Smile

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 17 2014, 3:08am

Post #5 of 12 (850 views)
Shortcut
Heh... I reckon they do have forever to tell him so [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
I'm sure his parents wished he was the First at good things instead of notorious ones. Wink

Unless he's allowed his very own private happy place in the Halls? Well, I guess Miriel would stick at it, since Finwe probably got a embodiment chance before forever came around?

=======

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2014, 12:00am

Post #6 of 12 (812 views)
Shortcut
I might query one [In reply to] Can't Post

Was Feanor the first Elf to reject Melkor? I might have thought that Fingolfin and indeed many of the Vanyar had done so before Feanor did.

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 18 2014, 4:18am

Post #7 of 12 (806 views)
Shortcut
Good question. [In reply to] Can't Post

In rejection, I was thinking of an actual offer of some sort, and the resulting refusal. For the other Eldar, I took the last paragraph in the Unchaining of Melkor chapter to mean Melkor, in his gossip mongering, wasn't offering anything binding to anyone. So the Vanyar and others simply didn't take his wormtongue shenanigans seriously. But the Noldor was noted to have at least listened to some things he shared, and Feanor was the only one who didn't want anything to do with him.

But considering your question, perhaps it would be more accurate to say Feanor was the first Noldor to reject Melkor. Though, Feanor did earn the firste claim to rejecting the Valar-level entities twice then, once with Yavanna's request to give up the Silmarils and shutting his door on Melkor ar Formenos. Or is there someone else in that rarified sphere of existence? Smile

=======

Hamfast Gamgee
Tol Eressea

Nov 18 2014, 10:42am

Post #8 of 12 (802 views)
Shortcut
One more maybe [In reply to] Can't Post

The first and maybe only recorded Eldar to have seven children. Everyone else seems only to have one or two. In fact, of his own seven sons, only one of them had any offspring. Doing all that, and making the Silmarils, and taunting Melkor. One can at least say that he kept himself busy!

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 19 2014, 3:35am

Post #9 of 12 (806 views)
Shortcut
Good one! Thanks to his fiery productivity, got me hinking on the Mithrim Eldar's player positions... [In reply to] Can't Post

Thanks, Hamfast. I'll take it as first recorded Elf with a full basketball teamCool

I suppose the team positions would be
Centre: Maedhros
Power Forward: Celegorm
Small Forward: Caranthir
Point Guard: Curufin
Shooting Guard: Amrod/Amras (can't tell them apart anyway)

All-round backup and one-Elf cheerleading section: MaglorLaugh

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 20 2014, 5:19am

Post #10 of 12 (787 views)
Shortcut
Revised list [In reply to] Can't Post

So after going through everybody's replies, and thinking a bit more, here's the latest and greatestSmile

1. First Elf with suicidal kin. (His mother, Míriel was the first Elf to desire to and willed herself to die… and was successful, Maedhros his son, asked Finrod to kill him, twice)
  2. First Elf with remarried parents. (Finwë his father was the first Elf to marry twice)
  3. First Elf to have half-blooded siblings, and a step-parent. (Thanks to no. 3)
  4. First Elf to have his creation hallowed by the Valar. (The Silmarils)
  5. First Elf to gain fame with his creations. (There are were other breathtaking works before the Simarils)
  6. First Elf with clinical OCD. (The Simarils)
  7. First Elf with a personal grudge with Melkor. (The Simarils)
  8. First Elf to have a mark put on him by Melkor. (The Simarils)
  9. First Elf to speak of rebelling against the Valar. (The Simarils, and assorted other reasons, thanks both to his pride and to Melkor)
  10. First Elf to declare he wants back in on Middle-earth (Thanks to Melkor, and his own OCD)
  11. First Elf to raise his sword at a kindred. (Thanks to Melkor, and his own distrust of his half-blooded brethren)
  12. First Elf to make a secret forge for weaponry. (Thanks to Melkor, and no. 6)
  13. First Elf to be summoned by the Valar for censure. (Thanks to no. 11)
  14. First Elf to be in the Ring of Doom. (Thanks to no. 13)
  15. First Elf to go into exile. (As a result of no. 13)
  16. First Elf to live outside of the designated Elf-zones on Aman.
  17. First Elf to cause the abdication of a King. (As a result of no.15)
  18. First Elf to hoard weapons and treasure. (As a result of no. 13)
  19. First Elf to be overtly offered Melkor’s friendship.
  20. First Elf to call Melkor out on his game. (As a result of no. 16 and no. 19)
  21. First Elf to reject Melkor outright. (As a result of no. 20)
  22. First Elf to slam his door in the face of “the mightiest of all the dwellers in Eä”. (As a result of no. 20)
  23. First Elf to humiliate Melkor. (As a result of no. 20)
  24. First Eldar with a murdered kin; Finwë was the first of the Eldar to be slain in Aman. Melkor had drawn first blood. (As a consequence of no. 25)
  25. First Elf to be robbed by a Vala. (Due to no. 4, 5, 8 and 9)
  26. First Elf to curse Melkor outright. (As a result of no. 24)
  27. First Elf to rename a Vala. (As a result of no. 24)
  28. First Elf to reject the Valar twice. (Refusing to give up the Silmarils, and no. 21)
  29. First Elf for whom the Valar mediated among the Quendi. (Due to no. 11)
  30. First Elf to instigate a mass-migration in reverse out of Aman. (Due to no. 25)
  31. First Elf with Kinslaying to his name. (Due to no. 25)
  32. First Elf to abandon his kin. (Due to no. 25)
  33. First Eldar to return to Middle-earth. (Due to no. 25)
  34. First Eldar to wilfully destroy the property/creation of others (the white ships of the Teleri). (Due to no. 25)
  35. First Eldar to spontaneously disintegrate upon death. (COD: no. 25, 36, & 37)
  36. First Eldar to be attacked by Gothmog/Balrog. (Due to no. 8 & 25)
  37. First Elf whose OATH was validated and endorsed by the Valar.
  38. First Eldar whose OATH resonated through the Ages, affecting an entire clan. (Due to no. 25)
  39. First Eldar to be condemned to prowl the Halls of Mandos, until the Change of the World. (Due to no. 36)
  40. First Elf on record as productively multiplying, with enough scions to form a basketball team, and backups to spare.

Threadcount: XXV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIII

=======

ltnjmy
Rivendell

Nov 21 2014, 6:05pm

Post #11 of 12 (765 views)
Shortcut
Dear Friend Lurker [In reply to] Can't Post

I LOVE this list a great deal. Meant to let you know earlier than now ! Smile

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 22 2014, 4:27am

Post #12 of 12 (829 views)
Shortcut
Thank you, ltnjmy. Appreciate the note, a lot [In reply to] Can't Post

I just find this list fascinatingSmile

Threadcount: XXV
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII | XXIII | XXIV

=======

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.