Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
What was the last book you started, but didn't finish?
First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 15 2014, 6:43pm

Post #1 of 67 (1405 views)
Shortcut
What was the last book you started, but didn't finish? Can't Post

Or do you always finish a book, no matter what?

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 15 2014, 7:11pm

Post #2 of 67 (1002 views)
Shortcut
a few young adult or late children's novels I picked up for various reasons.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...but, even with good intentions, I couldn't get engrossed in.

One was set somewhat locally (and was a somewhat local author).

Another I think had Tolkien as a character but I didn't think much of the writing.

I also tried briefly and couldn't engage in Little Big by John Crowley (given to me by a friend) and Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

But that's all anywhere from 5-10 years ago and I couldn't say which was the 'last'.

And I'm not counting non-fiction that I might read parts of but not the whole thing.

Why is this on the Pollantir board and not on Off Topic? Just curious. This board is set up for the vote on choices poll structure so I'm curious why people choose this board with no poll rather than just starting a discussion on Off Topic.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 15 2014, 7:59pm

Post #3 of 67 (997 views)
Shortcut
I don't often give up on books [In reply to] Can't Post

But some I just haven't been able to finish, most recent having been, if I recall correctly, Thomas More's Utopia a few years back. A classic, yes, but so unbearably dull. *hangs head in shame*

SirDennisC
Half-elven

Nov 15 2014, 8:29pm

Post #4 of 67 (988 views)
Shortcut
The Man in the Mirror [In reply to] Can't Post

A chapter in, not only did I not finish it, but it's the only book I've ever thrown across the room...

Dame Ioreth
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2014, 9:51pm

Post #5 of 67 (973 views)
Shortcut
The Black Sheep [In reply to] Can't Post

I got pulled away to other things and didn't get it started until it was almost due at the library. Tried to renew and there was a hold on it so they wouldn't let me. I had to take it back. But I will return to it

Where there's life there's hope, and need of vittles.
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 15 2014, 9:55pm

Post #6 of 67 (977 views)
Shortcut
What was the last book you started, and actually finished? [In reply to] Can't Post

Would be a better question for me. Crazy

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 15 2014, 11:13pm

Post #7 of 67 (993 views)
Shortcut
Christianity: the first 3,000 Years [In reply to] Can't Post

Absolutely fascinating book. Lest the title surprise you, it starts with an extended history of the Greeks and Hebrews, because those two cultures had such a profound effect of Christianity as it developed. It covers the history of the early church, development of the various branches of Orthodox Christianity as well as the Roman Church. I was in the middle of the Reformation when Jill Hansen tried to run over me last Spring, and have just never gotten back to it. The material I covered had many fascinating things I never knew before, and I thought my historical background was pretty good!

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 15 2014, 11:32pm

Post #8 of 67 (965 views)
Shortcut
Hmmm. Moby Dick, I think. [In reply to] Can't Post

I decided to give it a shot a couple of years ago, and got two-thirds of the way through and decided I'd had enough.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 15 2014, 11:48pm

Post #9 of 67 (980 views)
Shortcut
Game of Thrones... [In reply to] Can't Post

I was getting bored with it. Especially since you have to constantly look in the back of the book to see who's part of which house. Tolkien makes this much easier. So and so is part of this race and they follow (or oppose) this person for whatever reason. The only thing I look in the back of the books of Tolkien's works is to look on the map (depending on where it is). When a book you're reading is getting to be more of a chore, it's time to give it up, and this way, I won't have to suscribe to HBO, since if I find any of the books dull, I don't think I'll enjoy the TV series either. I'll stick with Tolkien, Stephen King (I'm currently reading Under the Dome. In between seasons is the perfect place to read the actual book, and since I'm no purist, I don't mind that it's different from the series, as long as it's interesting and I can follow the story), the occasional Clive Cussler (since I love tales of the sea) and Michael Crichton novel, as least those I won't get bored with.Smile

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 16 2014, 1:03am

Post #10 of 67 (974 views)
Shortcut
in terms of tv shows... [In reply to] Can't Post

I'd personally have to say that Game of Thrones is like 700% better than Inside the Dome.

I can't compare the books but ItD was just a novella, wasn't it? Or short story? And as far as I hear, it bears little resemblance to the tv show.

I've watched both seasons of Inside the Dome but it's basically a joke as far as I'm concerned. It's kind of what some people call 'hate watching'.

And although the GoT tv show can be challenging in terms of sexual and violent content... it has me completely hooked and it does a much better job at just about every facet of production than ItD.

À chacun son goût and all that... but if you haven't seen the GoT show, it might surprise you... regardless of what you thought of the books.

And I don't have a subscription to HBO, either. I have a subscription to Netflix. :-)

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 16 2014, 1:04am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2014, 2:07am

Post #11 of 67 (949 views)
Shortcut
A book by Tony Hillerman I think [In reply to] Can't Post

I usually only start a book if I think I'll like it enough to finish and I usually like Tony Hillerman mysteries, but A whichever novel of his it was, I just couldn't get into it enough to finish for some reason. I think it was one where a politician had been murdered and the political side of the mystery wasn't doing it for me so I moved on to else.

That was a couple years ago. I think I've finished every book I've read since then as far as I remember. Especially since I started reading Tolkien.Smile

"There's distraction buzzing in my head,
Saying in the shadows it's easier to stay.
But I've heard rumors, of true reality.
Whispers of a well-lit way.

When the world has fallen out from under me,
I'll be found in You, still standing.
When the sky rolls up and mountains fall on their knees,
When time and space are through.
I'll be found in You."
~Shadowfeet by Brooke Fraser

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 16 2014, 3:22am

Post #12 of 67 (952 views)
Shortcut
That was a pretty major reading interruption! [In reply to] Can't Post

You just reminded me that I was reading 'Street Gang', a history of Sesame St, and had it beside my bed when the first earthquake hit. I have never managed to get back to that book, which feels a little bit tainted.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 16 2014, 4:27am

Post #13 of 67 (934 views)
Shortcut
Maybe that's my problem, too. // [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 16 2014, 4:31am

Post #14 of 67 (941 views)
Shortcut
You need a strategy to manage... [In reply to] Can't Post

...the extended chapters on whale anatomy, physiology, and feeding habits. Skipping is highly recommended, except for marine biologists.

Likewise, War & Peace is great if you have a strategy for managing the discourses on the theory of war.

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 16 2014, 4:35am

Post #15 of 67 (945 views)
Shortcut
In terms of managing characters.... [In reply to] Can't Post

...Tolkien has his problems in the Sil. LotR and TH have manageable casts of characters, but the Sil requires (and, happily, provides) genealogy tables. When people ask about reading the Sil in the Reading Room I always recommend printing out nice, big copies of the genealogy tables and putting them in sheet protectors that you can keep handy for keeping track of the F-Elves. Might work for GoT.

I avoid GoT because of too many good characters killed off.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 16 2014, 5:32am

Post #16 of 67 (942 views)
Shortcut
The Winding Stair [In reply to] Can't Post

a biography of Sir Francis Bacon by Daphne du Maurier. Surprisingly dull.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Alcarcalime
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2014, 10:41am

Post #17 of 67 (927 views)
Shortcut
The Heaven Tree by Edith Pargeter [In reply to] Can't Post

She is also the author of the Brother Cadfael stories under the name, Ellis Peters.

I love the Cadfael stories and The Heaven Tree is also set in the Middle Ages. I couldn't finish it because it was one chapter of fighting after another and seemed like a soap opera set in Medieval England.

I usually don't start a book I won't finish eventually. I tend to look books over carefully before I buy them. This was not a purchased book, but had been the book of a friend.

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 16 2014, 1:57pm

Post #18 of 67 (923 views)
Shortcut
I stopped reading the second book in [In reply to] Can't Post

The Discovery of Witches series. I also tried Game of Thrones and Harry Potter. I may be kind of an exception because I've had a hard time reading since my husband died almost five years ago. It's gotten better but very gradually.

Aunt Dora Baggins
Immortal

Nov 16 2014, 1:59pm

Post #19 of 67 (915 views)
Shortcut
I read "and Peace" when I was a teenager. [In reply to] Can't Post

I skimmed the war chapters and just focused on all the ballroom and drawing room scenes.

And when I re-read Anna Karenina recently, I loved it all, except the chapter on the joys of mowing.

I think the place where Moby Dick struck me as really dreary was the chapter on Why White Things Are Scary.

"For DORA BAGGINS in memory of a LONG correspondence, with love from Bilbo; on a large wastebasket. Dora was Drogo's sister, and the eldest surviving female relative of Bilbo and Frodo; she was ninety-nine, and had written reams of good advice for more than half a century."
"A Chance Meeting at Rivendell" and other stories

leleni at hotmail dot com

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 16 2014, 2:14pm

Post #20 of 67 (912 views)
Shortcut
I read Crime & Punishment [In reply to] Can't Post

as a teen mainly just to prove I could do it. I've never read War & Peace. I read a lot of Dickens as a teenager, too. I've always enjoyed him and try to read A Christmas Carol every year. I used to read it aloud to my husband.

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 16 2014, 2:17pm

Post #21 of 67 (914 views)
Shortcut
I have [In reply to] Can't Post

Netflix, too. When are we going to get to see the latest season? I'll probably get HBO next year when it's available without a cable provider.

sherlock
Gondor

Nov 16 2014, 2:20pm

Post #22 of 67 (908 views)
Shortcut
That's a good idea for [In reply to] Can't Post

The Sil. I've only read it once but have been thinking about reading it again . I will try that.

dormouse
Half-elven

Nov 16 2014, 3:32pm

Post #23 of 67 (929 views)
Shortcut
Either 'Game of Thrones' or 'The Hunger Games'... [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't remember which was last, but in both cases I read the first page and couldn't find a single thing that made me want to turn to the second. If I can get onto the second page, I'll usually finish the book.

The last book I read and wished I hadn't bothered was J K Rowling's 'The Casual Vacancy' .....

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 16 2014, 3:32pm

Post #24 of 67 (911 views)
Shortcut
if you mean the latest season of Game of Thrones [In reply to] Can't Post

It's my observation that the previous season gets released a few weeks before the new one will start airing. And then many are delayed for availability on Netlfix because the distributors of the show want to push/prod people into buying them so they don't make them available for rental right away.

So next spring sometime.

If you're talking about Into the Dome, those are available immediately (with a week's delay) on Amazon Prime. I don't know if Netflix carries it.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 16 2014, 3:33pm

Post #25 of 67 (903 views)
Shortcut
I considered making something akin to baseball cards for the Sil, once... [In reply to] Can't Post

with a card for each 'player' and their stats on the back. :-)

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.