Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
! MASSIVE SPOILERS! Random caps from the TV spots part 1

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 14 2014, 2:18am

Post #1 of 20 (2024 views)
Shortcut
! MASSIVE SPOILERS! Random caps from the TV spots part 1 Can't Post

Just things that struck me.

Why is Erebor on fire, and I thought Smaug blew out this gate - and I didn't think Dale was that close.Unsure

This was just for Sauron fans.Cool

Yeah *claps* dwarves! - who evidently don't mess about in war...Heart

Yes, Tauriel seems to be quite BUSY through all of these trailers and snippets; here, there, everywhere *cough*Unimpressed

Yeah LegolasHeart - since I've snarked at Legolas time and again, but just love the way Orlando Bloom said all this and feeling like the Legolas I knew is back - plus love this with Bard thinking and the whole scene.....HeartHeartHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 14 2014, 2:30am

Post #2 of 20 (1291 views)
Shortcut
Part 2 massive spoiler!!! caps [In reply to] Can't Post

That's some bowShocked - RA magnificent tho personally think this is the one place I would say *cough* Thorin has lost it a bitCool - justifiably seeing there are a bunch of unwelcome guests...Evil

HeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

???????Shocked

Personally I was hoping Bard was going to go one on one w. Smaug like the poster, but it's early yet.....Shocked

Bilbo seems dubious, but this is DEFINITELY a king, one who is pretty irate at the moment...ShockedHeartHeartHeart

OMG there's Fili!Shocked Right by the side of the kingAngelic...and both #MAJESTICTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueHeartHeartHeartHeartHeart

tsmith675
Gondor

Nov 14 2014, 2:41am

Post #3 of 20 (998 views)
Shortcut
Dale was definitely that close in the prologue of AUJ. [In reply to] Can't Post

Lots of great screencaps. God, I can't wait for this movie. I'm so intrigued by the whole Bard vs. Smaug featuring Bain sequence at the beginning. That's going to be such a thrilling sequence.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 14 2014, 2:50am

Post #4 of 20 (940 views)
Shortcut
Thank you and [In reply to] Can't Post

these TV spots did for me what the trailer didn't - srsly was considering sitting this one out until the DVD, or at least waiting until the end of its run in theaters.

Now I can't ShockedTongueCool

PS. agree re Bard/Bain/Smaug and I want to know how Bard gets out of his cell!! Um, but I can wait for that...think I don't mind some spoilers but not the entire film.Unsure

Dwarewien
Rohan

Nov 14 2014, 3:10am

Post #5 of 20 (1012 views)
Shortcut
I changed my mind after viewing the first trailer... [In reply to] Can't Post

because I was thinking of waiting until it got released on Blu-ray and DVD myself to see it. Not so much, anymore. One, if I want to see BoFA in the new HFR 3D, the theater is the only place I'll see it (since this version doesn't get released on Blu-ray or DVD, or at least not yet), and two (which is the most important reason), Thorin looks much better on a large movie screen (and in 3D. Too bad we can't reach out and grab him to save him from his fate. But then, there's all those other hordes of female fans to deal with) than on the small 28' inch TV I have at home (which is the biggest TV I've had so far).Wink

Back on topic, thank you for all the lovely images, but unfortunately, I haven't seen any of the TV spots yet (except at the mall in a video game store with the sound either turned off or really low, so there's not much of an emotional impact if you can't hear it). Perhaps I'm not watching the right channels, but I know they'll come to the channels I watch eventually. As you know, I could care less about Legolas and Bard, but I love the images of Thorin (naturally). I was thinking of just taking a couple of travel packs of Kleenex tissue to the movies with me (since I'll doubt they'll allow me to take the entire napkin dispenser into the auditorium with me), but perhaps I should take the entire box instead (never hurts to be prepared, since until you see it, you don't know how certain scenes with affect you).Unsure

"Will you follow me... one last time?"

(This post was edited by Queen of Erebor on Nov 14 2014, 3:11am)

KeenObserver
Lorien

Nov 14 2014, 3:32am

Post #6 of 20 (869 views)
Shortcut
Yay! [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think I'll ever truly understand why the main trailer turned you off so much, but I'm darn pleased you've managed to regain that stupendously ebullient spirit of yours.

It's great to have you back on board once again, Avandel.Smile

P.S. Love that screencap of Sauron atop the staircase. For me, it just oozes classic fantasy imagery. I'm enthralled by an elevated and blazing Dark Lord sorta perched upon this structure and the ominous clouds completely smothering the sky and darkening the lands of Middle-earth that can be seen in the distance.

”The thirst for adventure is the vent which Destiny offers; a war, a crusade, a gold mine, a new country, speak to the imagination and offer…” - Jose Bergamin

(This post was edited by KeenObserver on Nov 14 2014, 3:36am)

Arveldis
Rivendell

Nov 14 2014, 4:49am

Post #7 of 20 (836 views)
Shortcut
Don't we all... [In reply to] Can't Post

Too bad we can't reach out and grab him to save him from his fate.

I'd love to do the same. In fact, I'd like to save all three of them. Well, maybe not Kili, because who knows where the elf/dwarf "romance" would go if he survived. Crazy

But then, there's all those other hordes of female fans to deal with

How about you take Thorin and I get Fili? Wink

I was thinking of just taking a couple of travel packs of Kleenex tissue to the movies with me (since I'll doubt they'll allow me to take the entire napkin dispenser into the auditorium with me), but perhaps I should take the entire box instead (never hurts to be prepared, since until you see it, you don't know how certain scenes with affect you).Unsure

I was originally thinking of taking one purse pack, but then saw the teaser trailer and realized that one would most definitely not be enough. I think I might have to smuggle in a whole box too. Maybe even three boxes for each of them. Wink

And thank you, Avandel, for all of the pictures. The clips move so fast that it's hard to make out some of the details. I'm never able to hit the pause button at the right time either, so screencaps are great.

A few observations:

-I didn't even notice the fire in Erebor. This seems a bit far-fetched, but maybe it's some sort of defense? Though the armies of elves and men don't seem to be there yet... Strange.

-That Sauron one is wonderful. I don't normally rave about bad guys, but it's pretty nice.

-Tauriel certainly gets around, doesn't she? From Lake-town to Mount Gundabad to Erebor and who knows where else in between.

-I didn't even notice that Thorin was holding a bow. Blush I guess he will shoot at someone then?

-I'm guessing that one with Bain is just to mislead us. He doesn't die in the book, so I'd think that it would be the same in the movie. Then again, PJ did kill off Haldir at Helm's Deep.

-Well, what do you know? Fili actually got into the view of the camera. It's a mite bit blurry for me, but gratefully accepted nonetheless.

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2014, 5:40am

Post #8 of 20 (780 views)
Shortcut
tv size [In reply to] Can't Post

mine is also a small tv (tube even- I don't have the funds for a flat screen)- and because of the layout of my living room, it's quite small in terms of my line of vision.

A suggestion- watch it on your laptop computer Laugh I have hardly EVER watched a ME film any other way, and I'll tell you why:

Based on the percentage of vision that the laptop screen (about what? 18" away from your face?) vs a tv screen, watching the movie on your laptop takes up as much of your overall vision as a theater screen (maybe from the mid to back row, but still) WAY bigger than a 28" screen!

I honestly hate watching ME films on my tv. It's fine for pretty much anything else, but there is so much tiny detail on the sets, in the costumes, on distance shots, etc that you really miss a LOT by watching it on smaller screens (as it sounds like, you well know Wink). Watching it on a laptop where even a "small" screen takes up so much of your vision that it's like having a tv on nearly your entire wall is about as close as you'd get (visually) to a theater showing while still being comfortable at home in your jammies Sly

It really is a win-win situation here! Cool

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Nov 14 2014, 5:41am)

Cirashala
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2014, 5:45am

Post #9 of 20 (806 views)
Shortcut
Dale is closer than you think, but still further as well [In reply to] Can't Post

That front area of Erebor is HUGE- even Smaug only broke a small hole in the bottom!

Look at AUJ prologue- there is a TINY thread that winds its way from the front gate of Erebor to Dale- it's actually a fairly wide road.

So I would say that Dale is probably two miles at least from the front gate of Erebor, which makes sense as:

a) they're both in the same mountain valley, and
b) dwarves relied on humans in trade for food, so their relationship to Dale prior to Smaug's attack was a very symbiotic one. I don't see why they wouldn't want Dale so close in that regard- makes "shipping" foodstuffs and dealing in day to day trade a WHOLE lot easier!

(This post was edited by Cirashala on Nov 14 2014, 5:45am)

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 14 2014, 5:55am

Post #10 of 20 (758 views)
Shortcut
Ditto...! (without the PS...) // [In reply to] Can't Post

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 14 2014, 7:33am

Post #11 of 20 (732 views)
Shortcut
I actually have to agree with the original poster on this... [In reply to] Can't Post

Unsure

That first shot somehow makes Dale look reaaaally close to Erebor. Looks like under a quarter mile I'd reckon. Whereas in the prologue of AUJ, it easily looks to be a good 2 miles across that plain/valley. Something wonkey going on unless my eyes are just playing tricks on me.

(This post was edited by ecthelionsbeard on Nov 14 2014, 7:37am)

tsmith675
Gondor

Nov 14 2014, 8:04am

Post #12 of 20 (711 views)
Shortcut
The shot of the dragon kite comes to mind. [In reply to] Can't Post

In the AUJ prologue. And, at least in my head, it looks exactly the same distance as it does here.

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 14 2014, 8:24am

Post #13 of 20 (664 views)
Shortcut
LOL I did not believe you, Observer [In reply to] Can't Post

You said something about me being swept up....I did leave a long response on the T&T post but it is hard sometimes to show someone else what you see.

Which to be honest there are still TINY bits here and there in these TV spots but tho they are shorter they seem to me to be a better frame if you will, or at least I am seeing the epicness and richness I was expecting, mostly - for me Bard in particular, Dol Guldur, Laketown in flames, Legolas (finally) and Thorin sane, mad, dark, gritty, GLORIOUSHeart.

PS. Re Sauron it doesn't need to be spoiled, but the white wizard against black fire - dying of curiosityCool

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 14 2014, 8:40am

Post #14 of 20 (646 views)
Shortcut
thank you! [In reply to] Can't Post

Because as one of those who is just in love with the first two films, feeling that you need to sit this one out was strange, and not pleasant.Unsure

But both books and movies sometimes for me the third film or book seems to hit a wall, and ROTK is my least favorite of the LOTR films. Unsure So I thought here we go again, but things are looking epic. Cool

Besides, how could I not follow Thorin, to whatever endWinkHeart

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 14 2014, 9:00am

Post #15 of 20 (663 views)
Shortcut
I was so happy to see Fili and Balin [In reply to] Can't Post

Tho the ad people seem to love that "Kili yells at Thorin" sceneWink

Well, I have a thing evidently about Thorin wielding a bow - one reason being a certain book scene is one the evil side of me finds hilarious *cough* and Thorin is just SO badass.Heart

And I was wondering if that would show up in the film - *SQUEE*CoolHeart

adt100
Rohan

Nov 14 2014, 2:08pm

Post #16 of 20 (559 views)
Shortcut
It's just foreshortening.... the same reason you can make the statue of liberty look as tall as the ESB. [In reply to] Can't Post

Kilidoescartwheels
Valinor

Nov 14 2014, 7:39pm

Post #17 of 20 (479 views)
Shortcut
Guess which set of screencaps I like best? [In reply to] Can't Post

THIS ONE of course - More Thorin!!!HeartEvil

Why yes, I DO look like Anna Friel!

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 14 2014, 11:05pm

Post #18 of 20 (445 views)
Shortcut
Why certainly! Because there is no such thing as too much Thorin [In reply to] Can't Post

Tho annoyingly IMO the filmmakers have inexplicably seen fit to clutter things up with other characters which take up far too much Thorin real estate WinkLaughEvil.

For instance, here we have Bard beginning to look anxious:

As well he should be, as our #Majestic mountain king is quite unimpressed with all these thin types in their shiny armor:

Ha ha, I'd pay to see this scene aloneEvil, and besides:

*THUD* TongueTongueTongueTongueTongue by the Valar now I know heaven exists, and it's in Middle Earth...HeartHeartHeartCool

Moving along now that the fire department is gone (after putting out the flames from my computer and kindly letting me breathe some oxygenWink), we have a landscape shot:

Which seems to indicate that the missing Fili is, actually, in this movie! Wait - here he is, looking #Majestic!HeartHeartHeart

However, in spite of being surrounded by his loving family, Thorin is irritatedShocked:

Thorin broods, waiting for his Hobbit to returnFrown...

Bonus: an unfortunately blurry shot of ThorinFrown dealing with an annoyanceShocked:

mae govannen
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2014, 9:42am

Post #19 of 20 (349 views)
Shortcut
Thorin " quite unimpressed... [In reply to] Can't Post

... with all these thin types in their shiny armor"... LOL!!!
I love all these pics, for sure, but what I like best are your captions!!!
I quoted one, but all are hilarious.
Won't be able to look again at these shots without laughing!
To be able to look at this coming movie in all necessary seriousness, I'm afraid I'll have to start skipping all your posts!... Tongue

'Is everything sad going to come untrue?'
(Sam, 'The Field of Cormallen', in 'The Return of the King'.)

(This post was edited by mae govannen on Nov 15 2014, 9:43am)

Avandel
Half-elven

Nov 15 2014, 6:13pm

Post #20 of 20 (332 views)
Shortcut
*bows deeply* having fun while I can [In reply to] Can't Post

thank you! but my remarks are all with a fierce loveHeart for ThorinHeartHeartHeart, these dwarvesHeart, Mirkwood, Laketown, Thranduil, Beorn, Bilbo, Erebor, the ponies and the bees, Bag End and Hobbiton, Smaug....started watching the Appendices and OMG the WORK involved with these films.HeartHeartHeart

I only "play" with stuff I love, because it's worth it IMO - the other stuff I just breeze by, mostlyCool

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.