The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
My Super Spoilery Theory About Fili and Kili

Tardisious

Nov 14 2014, 1:17am

Post #1 of 5 (754 views)
Shortcut
My Super Spoilery Theory About Fili and Kili Can't Post

Hello all,
I’ve been stalking this forum for quite some time now because I enjoy reading all the discussions and finally decided to put my two cents in. So here it is (sorry it is rather long)…

I usually don’t mind being spoiled. Sometimes when I read a book I actually skim and read the ending just because I hate being blindsided (terrible I know). But since The Battle of The Five Armies is the last film of the series I decided I didn’t want to be spoiled this time around. I mean we all know what happens at the end of the book so it’s not like we don’t know what’s coming, but I just want to be surprised by how everything actually gets portrayed in the film.

So with that in mind I have tried to avoid reading any spoilers that may be circulating the web. That is until I made the mistake of listening to the soundtrack samples…I think I may have just spoiled the entire ending of the movie for myself without actually meaning to. Drats.

Super Very Spoilery Possible Theory Starts Here…

Now this is just my theory about how the deaths of Fili and Kili will play out and I could be very wrong. I actually kinda hope I am.
So the soundtrack lists all of the tracks in the order that they appear in the film with Sons of Durin, The Fallen, Ravenhill, and To the Death listed in this order. Itunes only lets you listen to 1:30 of each song but they are also available on Amazon (with slightly different clips) and if you listen to both samples of the songs (especially The Fallen) it is pretty clear that this is where one of the Durins falls in battle (hence the title). It’s obviously not Thorin as Richard says in an interview that Thorin goes on suicidal rampage (cue To The Death) and he lives after the battle to speak with Bilbo. So that leaves us with Fili and Kili.

I, like many other fans, prefer that PJ sticks with the book and has Fili and Kili defend Thorin to their death together but if you listen to Ravenhill, which is directly after The Fallen, that doesn’t sound like the case. You can clearly hear Tauriel’s theme at the beginning which then morphs into Kili and Tauriel’s theme which has a rather heartbreaking sound to it (cue Kili’s death here). That means that it is possible that Fili will die first defending Thorin with Kili (The Fallen) and Kili will then die on Ravenhill with Tauriel (Ravenhill).

I actually really like Tauriel’s character and her relationship with Kili, but I just hope it doesn’t get in the way of Kili and Fili’s death as it was written by Tolkien. I always kinda thought that Kili would be the one to die first rather than Fili, but by having Fili die first PJ gets a death scene with the brothers to appease the fans as well as the love story between Kili and Tauriel. I guess PJ thinks he can have his cake and eat it too this way. I certainly hope he can because that seems to be exactly what is going to happen in this film.

So yeah this is just my theory about how the death scenes will happen in the movie based on the soundtrack but it is very possible that I am way off. Sorry this was so long…I promise that won’t be this long in the future Smile

Name
Rohan

Nov 14 2014, 2:10am

Post #2 of 5 (374 views)
Shortcut
Credit to you! [In reply to] Can't Post

That's a sound theory, and makes sense in a lot of ways. I too hope that the "love" aspect of the movie doesn't get it the way, but it's hard to tell at this point.

How many Tolkien fans does it take to change a light bulb?

"Change? Oh my god, what do you mean change?! Never, never, never......"

marillaraina
Rohan

Nov 14 2014, 2:17am

Post #3 of 5 (360 views)
Shortcut
subject [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
Hello all,
I’ve been stalking this forum for quite some time now because I enjoy reading all the discussions and finally decided to put my two cents in. So here it is (sorry it is rather long)…

I usually don’t mind being spoiled. Sometimes when I read a book I actually skim and read the ending just because I hate being blindsided (terrible I know). But since The Battle of The Five Armies is the last film of the series I decided I didn’t want to be spoiled this time around. I mean we all know what happens at the end of the book so it’s not like we don’t know what’s coming, but I just want to be surprised by how everything actually gets portrayed in the film.

So with that in mind I have tried to avoid reading any spoilers that may be circulating the web. That is until I made the mistake of listening to the soundtrack samples…I think I may have just spoiled the entire ending of the movie for myself without actually meaning to. Drats.

Super Very Spoilery Possible Theory Starts Here…

Now this is just my theory about how the deaths of Fili and Kili will play out and I could be very wrong. I actually kinda hope I am.
So the soundtrack lists all of the tracks in the order that they appear in the film with Sons of Durin, The Fallen, Ravenhill, and To the Death listed in this order. Itunes only lets you listen to 1:30 of each song but they are also available on Amazon (with slightly different clips) and if you listen to both samples of the songs (especially The Fallen) it is pretty clear that this is where one of the Durins falls in battle (hence the title). It’s obviously not Thorin as Richard says in an interview that Thorin goes on suicidal rampage (cue To The Death) and he lives after the battle to speak with Bilbo. So that leaves us with Fili and Kili.

I, like many other fans, prefer that PJ sticks with the book and has Fili and Kili defend Thorin to their death together but if you listen to Ravenhill, which is directly after The Fallen, that doesn’t sound like the case. You can clearly hear Tauriel’s theme at the beginning which then morphs into Kili and Tauriel’s theme which has a rather heartbreaking sound to it (cue Kili’s death here). That means that it is possible that Fili will die first defending Thorin with Kili (The Fallen) and Kili will then die on Ravenhill with Tauriel (Ravenhill).

I actually really like Tauriel’s character and her relationship with Kili, but I just hope it doesn’t get in the way of Kili and Fili’s death as it was written by Tolkien. I always kinda thought that Kili would be the one to die first rather than Fili, but by having Fili die first PJ gets a death scene with the brothers to appease the fans as well as the love story between Kili and Tauriel. I guess PJ thinks he can have his cake and eat it too this way. I certainly hope he can because that seems to be exactly what is going to happen in this film.

So yeah this is just my theory about how the death scenes will happen in the movie based on the soundtrack but it is very possible that I am way off. Sorry this was so long…I promise that won’t be this long in the future Smile

That's a great theory. I saw a similar one on Tumblr just like half an hour ago.

I have to admit I would have preferred if they all fell on the battlefield together in the same scne, then Thorin would get his scene with Bilbo in the tents or inside the mountain, where ever it would be but I don't think it would be too bad if it went like that and it would kind of make sense for Thorin's "suicidal rampage" to be as he realizes he's lost his beloved nephews.

I don't know I guess I could live with it depending on how it goes. I don't think Tauriel will be "with" Kili but I think she might see it happen.

(That said I'm not someone who has an issue with their relationship. I think it's been well done and lovely, I think despite the start with the little joke about searching him, it's turning out to have some real grace to it and I also think don't think it's silly, even if it could not have been a real romantic relationship, if they lived, I think they'd still have ended up sharing a very profound bond of friendship)

I also don't think it's just for PJ to "have his cake and eat it too" - it's a bit of a fake out for the general audience. One brother, the heir dies, so the general audience thinks "Oh no, the heir has died, here we have the younger brother, has to step up and take his place, esp with the uncle not necessarily being too stable even if he seems to have come to his senses a bit, he's open minded, obviously can get along with elves and people...."

Then POW, there goes Kili, he dies too.

If done right I do think it can build up the drama as the heirs of Durin fall one by one AND Thorin has to see what he's lost.

(This post was edited by marillaraina on Nov 14 2014, 2:23am)

CathrineB
Rohan

Nov 14 2014, 11:41am

Post #4 of 5 (241 views)
Shortcut
(spoilery) [In reply to] Can't Post

As you do I hope that Fili and Kili dies together, but man that's a lot of good observation. Also it kind of adds up to what looks like Tauriel holding someone in a snowy location (Ravenhill) and is crying. The feet looks too small to be Kili's (maybe they are Tauriel's own), but she is certainly holding someone.

sueb1863
Rivendell

Nov 16 2014, 2:54am

Post #5 of 5 (102 views)
Shortcut
My Thoughts-SPOILERS [In reply to] Can't Post

I feel fairly certain that KIli will die with Tauriel and Fili will die elsewhere in a fairly generic manner. For the most part Fili was a wasted character, all we know about him is he's Kili's brother. So since we have very little invested in him emotionally, PJ probably didn't care much about giving him an emotional death scene. He'll probably just get shot and die during the battle, likely when defending Thorin.

PJ likely feels that Kili's death will be a lot more poignant to the audience if we see him die with Tauriel, because we've seen so much more of his relationship with her than with Fili. We saw almost nothing of his relationship with his brother, so there's no real emotional foundation for a death scene with them dying together.

I think PJ spent too much time building up the Kili and Tauriel relationship to have them die apart. Since he didn't spend ANY time building a KIli and Fili relationship, I guess he didn't really care about that, so he probably isn't going to be interested in having them die together.

Which is unfortunate for me because I really wanted a good, stirring, heroic Kili and Fili death scene where they fall defending their uncle. I knew that wasn't going to happen, however, as soon as I heard about Tauriel. I'd love to be wrong, guess we'll just see...

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.