The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Confirmed run time BOF5A??

Frodo Baggins
Bree

Nov 13 2014, 9:03pm

Post #1 of 14 (1306 views)
Shortcut
Confirmed run time BOF5A?? Can't Post

On the Cineworld website it is stated the runtime is 160 mins.
http://www.cineworld.co.uk/...all&sort=default
So is this the definite time or not?? On the past two occasions they have had the runtimes correct. If it correct then is it slightly longer than DOS and just a tad shorter than AUJ???

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 13 2014, 9:14pm

Post #2 of 14 (744 views)
Shortcut
Isn't this with ... [In reply to] Can't Post

... credits and trailers/commercials?

That would place it back to 142 again.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

Carne
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2014, 9:19pm

Post #3 of 14 (691 views)
Shortcut
SF Norway has it listed at 142 minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

And so does SF Sweden.

ecthelionsbeard
Lorien

Nov 13 2014, 9:20pm

Post #4 of 14 (688 views)
Shortcut
Is the 142 minutes... [In reply to] Can't Post

with or without credits?

Nerwen
Bree

Nov 13 2014, 9:21pm

Post #5 of 14 (666 views)
Shortcut
Event Cinemas [In reply to] Can't Post

The tickets went on sale less than an hour ago in NZ and the Event Cinemas website http://www.eventcinemas.co.nz/...e-Of-The-Five-Armies says 150 minutes.

But who's to say there is a final cut yet...? ;)

"Eyes that fire and sword have seen
and horror in the halls of stone
look at last on meadows green
and trees and hills they long have known
."

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 13 2014, 9:22pm

Post #6 of 14 (702 views)
Shortcut
the runtime for DOS [In reply to] Can't Post

in my theater, including credits and previews, was 2h 50 min, with nearly the last 20 min being credits. After the first or second showing, thanks to me needing to get back due to relieving a babysitter, I didn't sit through the credits. And I would leave at the half hour mark, whereas before I had left at the ten mins til mark.

So I believe that DOS in my theater seemed to be about 20 minutes of just credits or so- I could be wrong and can go back to check (or watch the end credits on my copy) but I remember thinking that they were unusually long...no surprise, given how many people worked on this film and how many locations were used!

Of course, if BO5A ends up being a total time (including credits) of 2:22, and the credits are as long as what I remember from DOS, then we're looking at only a two hour movie Frown So I for one hope this time, if accurate, DOESN'T include credits!

Or, if it does, that the EE more than makes up for it! One can only hope....

Aragorn the Elfstone
Tol Eressea

Nov 13 2014, 9:24pm

Post #7 of 14 (716 views)
Shortcut
My local cinema has it as 155 min. [In reply to] Can't Post

Really, it's anyone's guess until the thing is locked and starts screening. For the next couple weeks, it's going to be a fool's errand to try and figure out anything definite.

"The danger with any movie that does as well as this one does is that the amount of money it's making and the number of awards that it's got becomes almost more important than the movie itself in people's minds. I look at that as, in a sense, being very much like the Ring, and its effect on people. You know, you can kind of forget what we were doing, if you get too wrapped up in that."
- Viggo Mortensen

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 13 2014, 9:34pm

Post #8 of 14 (660 views)
Shortcut
Yeah, hard to tell but [In reply to] Can't Post

Most indications points to a running time shorter than anyone would have expected a few months ago (2:10-2:25). The fact that PJ said that he is cutting it down to get a "thriller" feel adds fuel to this fire.

The greatest adventure is what lies ahead.

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 13 2014, 9:49pm

Post #9 of 14 (608 views)
Shortcut
Also Finland [In reply to] Can't Post

The Finnish distributer also states 2h 22 minutes, which is the same as 142 mins.

I'm not sure, but I think it might be the runtime without the credits (This is purely speculative calculation based on comparing my experiences with other movies that are currently running - for example the same theatre gives a runtime of 2 hours and 49 minutes for Interstellar. I sat in the theatre for a little over three hours, watching the 10-15 minutes of commercials and not staying for credits, which leaves the 2hrs 49mins for the movie alone.)

DjU
Lorien

Nov 13 2014, 10:45pm

Post #10 of 14 (553 views)
Shortcut
Not 20 minutes [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
So I believe that DOS in my theater seemed to be about 20 minutes of just credits or so- I could be wrong and can go back to check.

No credits have ever been 20 minutes.

The credits for AUJ & DOS are both just a smidge over 10 minutes.

AUJ - 10 Minutes 11 Seconds
DOS - 10 Minutes 27 Seconds

They are however well over 2 minutes longer than the LotR ones.
[FotR; 7m42s - TTT; 7m44s - RotK; 8m45s]

DjU
Lorien

Nov 13 2014, 10:54pm

Post #11 of 14 (538 views)
Shortcut
With Credits [In reply to] Can't Post

In Reply To
The Finnish distributer also states 2h 22 minutes, which is the same as 142 mins.

I'm not sure, but I think it might be the runtime without the credits (This is purely speculative calculation based on comparing my experiences with other movies that are currently running - for example the same theatre gives a runtime of 2 hours and 49 minutes for Interstellar. I sat in the theatre for a little over three hours, watching the 10-15 minutes of commercials and not staying for credits, which leaves the 2hrs 49mins for the movie alone.)

2 hours 49 minutes (168m 49s as rated at the BBFC) is the length of Interstellar - and that will be WITH credits. Credits are part of the movie, they are not an optional extra.

It is 99.99% likely that if 142 is the true length of BOTFA then that is INCLUSIVE of credits.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 13 2014, 10:58pm

Post #12 of 14 (522 views)
Shortcut
Yes, Interstellar has this length only with the credits. [In reply to] Can't Post

Nothing official yet, of course, but 2 hours and 12 minutes runtime before credits is pretty likely right now.

"I am afraid it is only too likely to be true what you say about the critics and the public. I am dreading the publication for it will be impossible not to mind what is said. I have exposed my heart to be shot at." J.R.R. Tolkien

We all have our hearts and minds one way or another invested in these books and movies. So we all mind and should show the necessary respect.

dubulous
Rohan

Nov 13 2014, 11:05pm

Post #13 of 14 (505 views)
Shortcut
As I said, I'm just speculating based on my own experience [In reply to] Can't Post

That could be the case. I'm only mentioning what I experienced myself. When I saw Interstellar, the commercials started 10.30 am and I was out about 1.30 pm - commercials went on for about 10 minutes in the beginning, I did not stay for the credits. That would leave the 2 hrs 49 mins for the movie without the credits, but that was just my experience. I only happen to remember the times pretty well because I was going to work afterwards and had to watch out for not being late. But yeah...I don't know. I can easily be wrong.

2 hours 49 minutes (168m 49s as rated at the BBFC) is the length of Interstellar - and that will be WITH credits. Credits are part of the movie, they are not an optional extra.

It is 99.99% likely that if 142 is the true length of BOTFA then that is INCLUSIVE of credits.

(This post was edited by dubulous on Nov 13 2014, 11:15pm)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 13 2014, 11:24pm

Post #14 of 14 (481 views)
Shortcut
Yes, it is easy to get that stiff wrong.. [In reply to] Can't Post

... I am unsure most of the times as well, especially when it comes to commercials.

But in the case of Interstellar I coincidentally know that the 169 is with credits.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.