Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
So what is the initial verdict on "The Last Goodbye"?
Poll: So what is the verdict on "The Last Goodbye"
Best of the Middle-earth credit songs!
Best of the Hobbit credit songs!
Cannot judge without having seen the movie.
Great song!
It is okay.
Don't like it that much.
One of the worst credits songs of the ME movies.
View Results (168 votes)

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 10:16am

Post #1 of 19 (2424 views)
Shortcut
So what is the initial verdict on "The Last Goodbye"? Can't Post

Thoughts? :)

Personally, I think it is a good or even great song... cannot "rank" it yet, though.

I have a feeling it will not touch "Into the West" for me, but it is at least on par with all four others.

(This post was edited by Arannir on Nov 12 2014, 10:18am)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 12 2014, 11:00am

Post #2 of 19 (1638 views)
Shortcut
It's a great song [In reply to] Can't Post

But I too have yet to decide where exactly it ranks in my list.

(This post was edited by BlackFox on Nov 12 2014, 11:05am)

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 12 2014, 3:21pm

Post #3 of 19 (1594 views)
Shortcut
Great song, but I've never ranked them [In reply to] Can't Post

The Last Goodbye is IMO, beautiful, emotional, touching, and sweet. I love it! However I can't say that it's "better than" any of the other ME credit songs because I've never bothered ranking them. I've allowed my favorite ME song to be whichever one I'm in the mood for at the time and I try to appreciate each one for what it is without trying to compare it to the others.

Now, if I was going to compare the Hobbit credits songs to the LOTR ones, I'd say the Hobbit songs have had a more, for lack of a better word, "folksy" feel than the LOTR songs. Nothing wrong with that of course. I love folksy!Smile I don't know if anyone else will agree, but style of "The Last Goodbye" reminds me more of John Denver's more sweet, melodic songs than of "Into the West". Anyway, I'll definitely have it on repeat for awhile.Cool

Ardamírë
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 4:16pm

Post #4 of 19 (1582 views)
Shortcut
"Cannot judge..." [In reply to] Can't Post

Is what I picked, but that's only true in that I won't judge until I've seen it in theaters. I mean I'm purposefully avoiding listening to it until that initial time in theaters because I feel that's when it should first be heard.

I'm eager to hear it, though!

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2014, 9:57pm

Post #5 of 19 (1529 views)
Shortcut
I think it's a great song [In reply to] Can't Post

I can't yet rank it totally without seeing the movie. I put it past Gollum's song for sure and better than the two other Hobbit songs. Gollum's song is my least favorite of the 6, followed by I see Fire and Song of the Loney mountain.

Into the West is my favorite followed by May it Be. However, The Last goodbye is a great song and could for me surpass Into the West certainly. I will have to see when I see the film.

Brethil
Half-elven

Nov 15 2014, 11:05pm

Post #6 of 19 (1531 views)
Shortcut
Its very moving [In reply to] Can't Post

in its simplicity. It makes me think of Bilbo, and I hear Bilbo's 'voice' in the lyrics. I think Billy did an absolutely wonderful job with it.

I don't need to see the film to love the song, but my guess is that its meaning will increase even more after the viewing.

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 15 2014, 11:06pm

Post #7 of 19 (1572 views)
Shortcut
At least it's not Enya. [In reply to] Can't Post

Could have been much worse!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 15 2014, 11:14pm

Post #8 of 19 (1537 views)
Shortcut
Lol! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hear that. Laugh

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 15 2014, 11:45pm

Post #9 of 19 (1550 views)
Shortcut
I'm having a hard time separating my [In reply to] Can't Post

affection for Billy and his lovely singing with the song's actual merits. It's a decent song but I don't find it especially moving, at least not yet. Wink And I had hoped for something that didn't remind me in melody of any other end-credits songs. I prefer them each being very individual in their sound.

Basically, I'm pleased enough, I guess. Cool

Spriggan
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2014, 1:02am

Post #10 of 19 (1545 views)
Shortcut
More seriously - I would say third [In reply to] Can't Post

After Into the West and Gollum's song. It's good.

The Grey Elf
Grey Havens

Nov 16 2014, 2:55pm

Post #11 of 19 (1505 views)
Shortcut
Post script [In reply to] Can't Post

Just listened to all six songs. Now that was emotional and it did indeed give "Last Goodbye" more power. (*sob!*)

Annael
Immortal

Nov 16 2014, 5:02pm

Post #12 of 19 (1527 views)
Shortcut
"meh" for me [In reply to] Can't Post

sounds like a song any teenager who's learned the rudiments of guitar could write and anyone with a so-so voice could sing, and it doesn't fit the movie.

I admit, I'm a musical snob, and somewhere over the course of many years I got bored with angsty young men singing to the accompaniment of strummed guitars. There have just been so many, as a friend of mine was told when she met the mother of a young man she was dating.

(This post was edited by Annael on Nov 16 2014, 5:03pm)

Ham_Sammy
Tol Eressea

Nov 16 2014, 5:58pm

Post #13 of 19 (1508 views)
Shortcut
I think it's moving and powerful [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it will be even moreso for me after the movie.

CathrineB
Rohan

Nov 16 2014, 8:07pm

Post #14 of 19 (1492 views)
Shortcut
It's beautiful [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's beautiful, but maybe lacking a little? It never really reaches a highlight if you ask me. But really, I love it. I think it fits. Much better than the credit song last year.

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 18 2014, 2:00pm

Post #15 of 19 (1484 views)
Shortcut
Uh [In reply to] Can't Post

Billy Boyd, aged 46, is an "angsty young man with a guitar"? I'm not sure if I agree with that... Unimpressed

grammaboodawg
Immortal

Nov 23 2014, 6:09pm

Post #16 of 19 (1460 views)
Shortcut
I'm so happy Billy is doing the song! [In reply to] Can't Post

I was really hoping Peter, Fran and Philippa would end these films with in a very poignant way... and they have!! It's so wonderful, beautiful and emotional. Billy Boyd sends the journey of Middle-earth off so perfectly... and the song makes me cry. That whole homage to the characters and story as he sings makes me cry every time I watch it.

Now... I dearly hope they have Alan Lee sketch the closing credit images like he did for LotR/RotK. The beauty of those fills my heart... still.

Elessar
Valinor

Nov 24 2014, 8:02pm

Post #17 of 19 (1389 views)
Shortcut
I agree [In reply to] Can't Post

It's just a beautiful song and so well done. Makes me tear up everytime.

Annael
Immortal

Nov 25 2014, 1:43am

Post #18 of 19 (1431 views)
Shortcut
I saw a different video [In reply to] Can't Post

when I looked up "The Last Goodbye." Billy's is much better.

I was quite confused as to why people liked it until I realized my mistake.

sauget.diblosio
Tol Eressea

Feb 19 2015, 9:40pm

Post #19 of 19 (1337 views)
Shortcut
Finally, The Hobbit films get a proper end credits song. [In reply to] Can't Post

Song of the Lonely Mountain was alright i suppose, that Ed Sheeran thing was utterly forgettable and ill fitting, but The Last Goodbye i'd put up there with anything in LotR-- a fine tune well sung and beautifully orchestrated.

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.