Our Sponsor Sideshow Collectibles Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien
Do you enjoy the 100% volunteer, not for profit services of TheOneRing.net?
Consider a donation!

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Tolkien Topics: Movie Discussion: The Hobbit:
Thranduil Appreciation Thread Part XXIII
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:17pm

Post #101 of 211 (552 views)
Shortcut
     For sure, that filthy orc blood [In reply to]  

will not be staying on the Elvenking for long. Dirt does not stick to Elves Laugh

Seriously, agreed! AUJ and DoS have too clinical. Heck, even Lurtz had some splatter in FotRFrown

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

I fancy myself an ME BFF (Book/Film Fan) Smile
(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

Heart Thranduil Appreciation
Threadcount: XXIII
I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======
Middle-earth dispatches out of the lurkmirk

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:19pm

Post #102 of 211 (552 views)
Shortcut
     HAHA [In reply to]  

In Reply To
Heh I tried to read that in any other voice than Thranduil's but I just couldn't anymore. What has been mentally heard cannot be unheard Tongue

Right? I can't unhear that absolute command in his voice HeartAngelic

"I'll say dark and gritty, which, with the Elvenking, translates as Hot and Sexy. Cool" - vanima ephel

(Aaaaand a gushy Thranduil fangurl before The Hobbit movies; still a gushy Thranduil fangurl through them. Laugh)

I | II | III | IV | V | VI | VII | VIII | IX | X | XI | XII | XIII | XIV | XV | XVI | XVII | XVIII | XIX | XX | XXI | XXII

"BoFA"= The Battle || "BotFA"/"tBotFA" = The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:21pm

Post #103 of 211 (546 views)
Shortcut
     Ah, I see! [In reply to]  

The inside (inner lining is it called?) is purple! So different from the glittering fab at home. Thranduil really does dress for the occasion. More severe and sombre even in his off-duty wardrobe on the battlefield.Heart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:23pm

Post #104 of 211 (552 views)
Shortcut
     Cool daddy is just cool [In reply to]  

Heart Here's a set of GIFs

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:28pm

Post #105 of 211 (552 views)
Shortcut
     I don't see it [In reply to]  

The choice of words is very odd if he were referring to Legolas:
  • "Something"? Legolas is not an inanimate object. And surely, Legolas does not need or want to be something.
  • "Reclaim"? Why would Thranduil need to "reclaim" Legolas? Leggy isn't a toddler to be deposited at some kid creche at the entrance of the war theatre, and then picked up on the way out.
  • LP's delivery of the the line gives a sense of seething control. Seems like his white-gem longing levelling up.
If Legolas is relegated to something to be reclaimed, he's never going to live it down. There goes his credibility as the son of the Elvenking. Nope, just no.

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:29pm

Post #106 of 211 (559 views)
Shortcut
     He did put Gandalf in his place in that elegantly polite snark of his [In reply to]  

And LOL the italic part, does this mean he just gets what he wants in BOFA?

And the old boy probably had no comeback to it.
Not even a Maiar is spared from the Elvenking's imperious command. So of course!Heart

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Nov 11 2014, 12:31pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:34pm

Post #107 of 211 (548 views)
Shortcut
     Very Warm Welcome, (I presume) ex-STV [In reply to]  

A friendly reminder: Do remember to check out the posting guidelines, especially on images (links in the OP)... that feeling of eyes in your back sometimes isn't other STVs, but mods checking in to make sure we are toeing the lineSmile Have fun and hope you stick aroundTongue

=======

(This post was edited by Lurker in the Mirk on Nov 11 2014, 12:38pm)

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:35pm

Post #108 of 211 (548 views)
Shortcut
     *sigh* Thanks, mariel [In reply to]  

I could watch ALL the BTS footage of LP/Thranduil HeartHeartHeart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:35pm

Post #109 of 211 (545 views)
Shortcut
     X'mas cometh! [In reply to]  

Perfect logo too!Heart

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 12:37pm

Post #110 of 211 (555 views)
Shortcut
     New fan edit [In reply to]  

=======

Lurker in the Mirk
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 1:53pm

Post #111 of 211 (564 views)
Shortcut
     *sigh* I can so see Thranduil speaking the "long will I tarry" line here [In reply to]  

But I guess it's not likely now, eh? Unsure (non-e clicky, edit mine)

=======

mariel
Lorien

Nov 11 2014, 2:07pm

Post #112 of 211 (552 views)
Shortcut
     Hmm [In reply to]  

I'm beginning to wonder whether PJ will show that side of him at all. I really hope we hear that line, but I fear that we won'tUnsure

mariel
Lorien

Nov 11 2014, 4:03pm

Post #113 of 211 (543 views)
Shortcut
     Very nice [In reply to]  

I do like this artist's work

mariel
Lorien

Nov 11 2014, 4:07pm

Post #114 of 211 (552 views)
Shortcut
     Fan art - VERY pointy ears [In reply to]  

clicky

VValar
Gondor

Nov 11 2014, 8:55pm

Post #115 of 211 (523 views)
Shortcut
     We must stay positive Lurker! [In reply to]  

We just have to keep thinking positive about the possible fact Thranduil will embrace/hug/show fatherly concern to Legolas after the battle is over. It's all we can do for now. And if it's not in the film, perhaps we'll see it in BOFA's EE? Unsure But really I just WANT it in the original theatrical version of BOFA. We needssss it to keep our inner fangirl satisfied!!

Heart

If your ears aren't pointy, you're doing it wrong.

VValar
Gondor

Nov 11 2014, 8:57pm

Post #116 of 211 (522 views)
Shortcut
     Baby leopard [In reply to]  

Awww how cute is that! Is that baby Leggy hanging upside down? Sly
Nice sketch of Thranduil btw Heart (still wishing I wake up one morning suddenly being able to draw like that)

VValar
Gondor

Nov 11 2014, 9:08pm

Post #117 of 211 (519 views)
Shortcut
     Yep that's it [In reply to]  

I'm sorry, I thought it was clear I meant the inner fabric of his clothes being purple Evil I'll try to give a more accurate description next time when I point out something. Suits him amazingly, although what colour doesn't look absolutely magestic on the great Elven King?

Btw totally OT, I saw this and had to share. Cute cute! HeartHeart
http://static.tumblr.com/...ken88hfnv1rqr8c1.gif

Kerewyn
Rohan

Nov 11 2014, 9:11pm

Post #118 of 211 (513 views)
Shortcut
     Purple symbolises royalty.. [In reply to]  

...so would be apt. Traditionally in our world, it was such a difficult colour to create that only royalty could afford the resulting cloth, so it symbolised their wealth and power. Julius Caesar owned a full-length purple toga, while Cleopatra had her whole palace decked out in purple fabrics, plus purple sails on her ship.
I've got to read up again this fabulous book I have ("Colour" by Victoria Finlay") but IIRC, an ancient purple dye was made from the tears of a certain sea snail.
Yeah, I can see that being an arduous process... First you've gotta catch the snails, then make them cry. Evil
/trivia

How coincidental! As I write this, folks on the radio are talking about how we respond emotionally to different colours.... Smile

"Thou speakest of thralldom. If thralldom it be, thou canst not escape it..."

VValar
Gondor

Nov 11 2014, 9:24pm

Post #119 of 211 (519 views)
Shortcut
     "I came to reclaim something of mine" [In reply to]  

In Reply To
"Something"? Legolas is not an inanimate object. And surely, Legolas does not need or want to be something.

Agreed, it sounds like he is there to reclaim an object and not a person.

In Reply To
"Reclaim"? Why would Thranduil need to "reclaim" Legolas? Leggy isn't a toddler to be deposited at some kid creche at the entrance of the war theatre, and then picked up on the way out.

Lol your description made me laugh. I already mentally picture Elfling Leggy in the creche, waiting to be picked up by his daddy once he's done doing the groceries.

I just really hope they make Thranduil after the character in the book in BOFA. He sure would not start a fight over a few gems and risk so many Elven lives. I just have to stay positive PJ will portray him as such.

Sly Found this on tumblr concerning the matter:

Yep I think this is what PJ meant ^^

Kerewyn
Rohan

Nov 11 2014, 9:24pm

Post #120 of 211 (520 views)
Shortcut
     Tender moment, or lack thereof [In reply to]  

That's what I'm thinking. I expect there may just be a look between them, a bit of a nod perhaps, signifying "You right?" "Yep, dad. All good." Or perhaps Thranduil might put a hand / hands on Leggy's shoulders. I can't see a hug happening, as much as I'd like to. Unimpressed
*would like to be proven wrong.*

VValar
Gondor

Nov 11 2014, 9:28pm

Post #121 of 211 (524 views)
Shortcut
     Thranduil vs Gandalf [In reply to]  

Are you as curious as I am to see the interaction between Thranduil and Gandalf? It will be interesting to watch as I'm sure Gandalf would also know to proceed cautiously when it concerns the Elven King.

VValar
Gondor

Nov 11 2014, 9:29pm

Post #122 of 211 (510 views)
Shortcut
     Nicely done fanart! [In reply to]  

Except those ears... lol Sly

VValar
Gondor

Nov 11 2014, 9:31pm

Post #123 of 211 (505 views)
Shortcut
     Interesting, I didn't know that about the colour purple [In reply to]  

Very interesting, I had no idea this colour was saved only for royalty back in the day. And also didn't know they coloured the fabrics purple by using that poor sea snail and making it very sad EvilSly

Kerewyn
Rohan

Nov 11 2014, 9:41pm

Post #124 of 211 (511 views)
Shortcut
     PJ's tactics [In reply to]  

I just really hope they make Thranduil after the character in the book in BOFA. He sure would not start a fight over a few gems and risk so many Elven lives. I just have to stay positive PJ will portray him as such.

Remember movie-Faramir though? The screenwriting trio deliberately played him as a protagonist, to up the tension. People hated it, of course. As a movie-firster, I had no objection whatsoever and quite enjoyed the tension surrounding Faramir's demand for the Ring. But then of course the character was turned back to a 'good guy', and for me, it lent more interest to the rest of his movie-story arc. So much so that when I finally got to reading, I found book-Faramir a trifle bland. (I am not a Tolkien purist, much as I love the world and characters he created.)

So I feel if PJ portrays Thranduil as one more protagonist in the war, it will add more interest to his 'turn', which may be brought about by Bilbo - adding further depth to both Thranduil and Bilbo's character development.

Of course, this turn may also be initiated by the plight of Laketown, where he turns aside from his path to collect his gems, in order to give help there. Do we think the line "I came to reclaim.." may be delivered quite early in the piece?

I hope I've put this across succinctly and without too much vagueness. I can't even tell. It's early and I haven't had coffee yet.... Crazy

Kerewyn
Rohan

Nov 11 2014, 9:45pm

Post #125 of 211 (509 views)
Shortcut
     Yes! [In reply to]  

I am very keen to see the moment when Thranduil and Gandalf meet. Gandalf displays warmth and familiarity, coupled with great respect and reverence, when he is with Elrond and Galadriel. I want to observe if there is a difference in his manner, his careful choice of words, and if he dares to show any disapproval.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.