Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Does anyone work from home, or write online for pay? I need a non-traditional job that can work around health issues- any input greatly appreciated!

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 10 2014, 6:05am

Post #1 of 11 (356 views)
Shortcut
Does anyone work from home, or write online for pay? I need a non-traditional job that can work around health issues- any input greatly appreciated! Can't Post

I feel a bit like Frodo walking up Mt. Doom at the moment.....we had a look at my husband's work's open enrollment form for healthcare, and our contributions are going up fairly significantly starting in January Frown We are already down to bare minimum- no cable, no tv, no car payments (both owned outright- one is nine years old and the other eleven), minimal grocery budget, two flip mobile phones with no data (and the cheapest plan we could get- no landline), and internet (husband is in master's school because he can't become a counselor with his bachelor's, and it's online). Our home is also very modest in terms of cost- lower than any rent in the area.

My husband already works 45 hours a week, in a job that rotates on a 7 days a week schedule (meaning his days off are rarely the same, and he works nights, evenings, weekends- retail manager with unpredictable schedule). He's donating blood plasma, but even that is stretching. And it's nigh on impossible, or at least very difficult, for him to work another job in (he's basically, with the donations, already working two jobs). And he still needs to keep up with school, which he has 2.5 years left because he can only do one class at a time with the demands of his work schedule. And his job pays better than pretty much any other non-degree job out there, so he needs to finish school to go up the pay ladder.

I have two medical conditions (sorry if it's blunt or TMI, but kind of necessary)- a nasty sleep disorder and a digestive disorder (IBS)- that prevent me from being able to work outside my home/in a traditional job setting (I'd have too many sick days). Since both are largely "invisible illnesses" (meaning that they aren't visible on most tests), but very, very real, trying to get any sort of disability pay for it is going to be next to impossible and cost a fortune in lawyer and court fees (going up against the Social Security Administration is also a very time consuming and stressful process). Stress is one of the major triggers for my second illness, so I'm not sure I am able to fight them for it.

I haven't worked a job since my now 5.5 year old was three months old, and what I did work before then was only fast food, cake decorating (early hours that I cannot do now with the sleep disorder), a brief retail stint, and a call center. All are either heavy lifting or odd hours or stressful (or all of the above). And I would somehow have to coordinate childcare for my girls (5 and 2) which is very costly as family cannot help out much at all anymore due to their own life demands (we rarely even get a date night- mother in law used to help, but she went from working as a nurse practitioner twice a week to three on, four on, three on, etc and has 4 very difficult special needs adopted kids of her own to deal with as well).

So that leads into my question- I need ideas for how I can "work from home" (with my kids with me- neither child is in school full time yet) so that I can work around the digestive issue and the sleep disorder. In a traditional job, I'd have way too many sick days and I wouldn't be able to hold one.

I am a writer (fan fiction mostly, though I have contributed a lot on the forums here as well as participated in the TORn Amateur Symposium). I have dabbled in original fiction and poetry, however have never undertaken anything greater than 20k words (which I started at 13 years old, and is at the point where it's probably going to be scrapped) with exception to my fan fiction (over 300k words so far, and not complete).

I know that some people can write for columns or blogs or what-have-you online, and get paid for it (legitimately- I am not interested in illegal work). I am curious if anyone has ever done so, or would know of a way I could do so and earn some extra money for it.

I'm also considering mowing lawns (I can take an illness related break if need be) and yard work (though it's autumn so there isn't much right now), babysitting if I can find someone who needs a regular sitter, and possibly finding a way to be a violin teacher for beginners (played for 18 years, though need to brush up on music theory). And I garden, though again- wrong time of year. We sometimes get enough snowfall to shovel driveways, but not always (more often than not we don't get that much at once- it could snow all winter, or two weeks then that's it depending on the year).

I'm very crafty and able to work with my hands and make lots of different things, including leather work, but that venture requires funds up front to make the articles to sell (and in the case of the leatherworking, the tools to do so, as the ones I used before were my parents and they sold them), and that's IF the items I make can sell...I sew also, but we'll see if I can sell things (I've sold one item, and had someone request three additional ones but two of those are pending on a for-sure thing, and one is a trade for a professional massage which is fine by me but doesn't fully solve my current problem).

Also, most of the stuff we own is from a thrift store, or hand-me-downs from others, so not likely to gain much from selling anything...

So, does anyone else have ideas for what else I could do? And do any writers out there know how to gain work online as a writer or columnist? I would GREATLY appreciate any tips you all could offer! Evil

Annael
Immortal

Nov 10 2014, 7:39pm

Post #2 of 11 (246 views)
Shortcut
Here's what I tell would-be freelance writers [In reply to] Can't Post

There's a bit of a Catch-22 when you first try to break into this field: most potential employers want to see examples of work you've done for others, but you can't provide those examples until you've done such work. Your personal creative work does not count.

What that means is a period of writing for free. Craigslist has lots of ads for people who want people to write/blog for them for free or for minimal pay (like $5/piece). Yes, they're taking advantage of the would-be writer's need to get published somehow. But it's often the first step. Get something online with a url you can provide, and there's the first item in your CV.

Another option is to start your own blog. You don't need to be an expert on something; just write about something that interests you. Cake decorating would actually probably pull in quite a few readers, if you load it with pictures and how-to's. Living with a sleep disorder is another possibility: you could do online research and share it with others. Etc. etc. Look at your life, what's meaningful about it, what you love, what you know best. You can "monetize" your blog by allowing ads on it: the more hits you get, the more money comes in. And it gives you something to show others.

The good news is that your writing, from what I can judge, is clear and grammatically correct. So many wannabe writers need to clean up their act, grammar- and punctuation-wise, first. Nothing puts readers and employers off like a writer who doesn't know how to handle their own language correctly. But that isn't a problem here.

Finally, I got my own start by writing for other people who needed to produce papers or reports and who knew they were poor writers. Ask around. Maybe there's an organization you're affiliated with or have friends in who need that kind of help. You may have to volunteer at first to build up your portfolio . . . so pick a cause you belief in or love and do it for that reason.

There will be dues to pay. But if you keep at it, it [i}can pay off.

To be sane we must recognize our beliefs as fictions.

- James Hillman, Healing Fiction

NARF and member of Deplorable Cultus since 1967

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 10 2014, 9:02pm

Post #3 of 11 (235 views)
Shortcut
A quick Google search.... [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.komando.com/...obs-that-pay-big/all

September 21, 2014

3 legitimate work-at-home online jobs that pay big

1. Search Engine Evaluation
2. Freelancing
3. Transcription

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 11 2014, 7:37am

Post #4 of 11 (223 views)
Shortcut
In addition to those excellent suggestions... [In reply to] Can't Post

* Child care: need a license and to set up your facility within whatever guidelines apply in your location.

* Tutoring children in subjects you're familiar with. You have written here about home schooling: maybe some parents in your community would value your assistance.

* Crafts: jewelry making, sewing, knitting, etc. ... are you skilled at any of these? There;s always a market for custom, handmade good, although you have to know how to market yourself.

Good luck!

(This post was edited by Elizabeth on Nov 11 2014, 7:37am)

Ethel Duath
Half-elven

Nov 11 2014, 6:51pm

Post #5 of 11 (173 views)
Shortcut
Oh my! I'm sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

things are so hard.MadUnsureEvil

I can help with violin teaching advice if you want to try that--just send me a P.M. if you want to talk about it. It might be a good idea to attempt more than one thing, and 2 or 3 students just to start would hopefully leave time for writing or crafting as well.

For teaching, you would need to find the going rate in your area for private lessons. You will sometimes find widely divergent amounts charged, so I'd try to get a wide enough sample to be sure of an average. If there aren't other string teachers around to check on what they charge, look up piano or any solo instrument--usually same rate for all. It's 25-ish per half hour around here.

Prayers for your success!Smile

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 11 2014, 7:03pm

Post #6 of 11 (172 views)
Shortcut
crafting [In reply to] Can't Post

My home is not big enough to be a home daycare (and I think it would be against my HOA regulations). It's only 1412 square feet....

I will definitely consider tutoring, and see how I might be able to get word out- thanks Smile

I am passably skilled at sewing, I can sculpt and paint and draw fairly well, I can do ceramics, (if I had the tools) I can do leather work, I can carve wood and soap, I can make candles, I can weave yarn. I cannot however knit or crochet, unfortunately- I was never taught well enough for it to stick (knitting) and have never been taught crocheting at all Unsure

Yeah-the marketing aspect is where I'm not sure on things...I have heard of etsy, and have been meaning to check it out. The extra funds won't be needed until January, but my sister in law's wedding (for which I'm making a quilt that I'm sadly way behind on, and praying I get it done in time), is December 13th, and I'm hosting Christmas for my husband's family (equating to over 20 people) 12 days after to lessen the strain on my mother-in-law so soon after her daughter's wedding.

So if I can manage to get those things done (winter clothing for my family, plus the quilt and Christmas preparation) I might be able to start making some sort of craft inventory to post on there. I need to take some time and go through it and see how to set it up...

A friend of mine and I both make bloomers for our little girls that are white with lace on the bottom (and go below the hem of dresses- much like pioneer style), and people have commented that they love them to her at her work and ask where she got them, so maybe I could find a niche market with little girl bloomers, since people seem to be asking about them. And they're REALLY easy to make too- only takes me about half an hour each (materials aren't that expensive either- just some elastic, lace, thread, and muslin is all I need, and I try to utilize coupons to get things that aren't on sale). The trick with those would be waist sizes and inseams so I can actually designate some sort of size to them for buyers...

Thanks for the tips! They are much appreciated Heart

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 11 2014, 8:02pm

Post #7 of 11 (169 views)
Shortcut
crafting for money [In reply to] Can't Post

I think it's tricky to make money with crafts. I did try selling my work mostly for fun and I had trouble thinking I could put a price on things that actually allowed me to make money. I usually just covered my expenses and then some.

If you want to make money, you have to be firm about keeping track of expenses and *all* time invested and then putting a fair price (fair for you) on the time you've invested.

I saw something on a sewing show last week about this but I can't remember what show. They suggested keeping track of all the time on a form that details things (incl shopping, clean up, packaging, marketing, etc).

There are sites online and perhaps books from the library that will help you determine how to set prices for goods. I think there are also forums at etsy where you can get information and help.

There is a LOT of handmade stuff out there. It may take some work to get your stuff to rise above the rest when people search online (at etsy). I'm not sure how well it works to just make stuff available. I think one might have to work on marketing to some extent.

Selling in person - at shows or in town - you'll have to surmount the two pronged problem: 1) ooh... that's cute. I should try to make that and 2) wow... that seems like a lot of money for someone who makes stuff on their kitchen table.

Somehow, people don't think a person who works from home should make as much as a person who works in a 'building'. Or the time of a friend/neighbor around the corner isn't worth as much as the person one would hire for a job.

And somehow, when we think we can make something ourselves we never consider the cost invested in getting supplies (often in qtys larger than we need) or the skill exhibited by a person who has done it many, many times as opposed to someone just figuring things out. If we want to learn a craft, by all means - bash away at it until we get good. But if we like the item, do the artist/crafter a favor and buy the darn thing from them! lol.

If money is an issue, I - personally - would shy away from trying to make money from something in which I had to invest a lot of money. If that makes sense. If it costs $100 to potentially make $200... I wouldn't feel too comfortable spending that $100 if money was tight. I'd look for things where the investment toward material is lower for potential profit. Or, for something that is a sure seller.

If you're considering etsy, I'd surely spend quite a few hours looking around at what is selling at etsy... how people photograph, describe, and otherwise market themselves and their goods... and reading all the information provided by etsy and any seller forums.

There might be some group near you that functions as a support group for hand crafters. Even if you can talk to someone in a field similar to what you're considering. Learning from other people's mistakes is free money. :-)

For what it's worth... I just visited a very small craft show at my neighborhood park building. It's a place I sold my dolls at for a few years. I was looking for Christmas gifts for friends and, in the end, I bought two smallish size bars of soap in a fragrance I enjoyed (one was lavender and one was mint) and a greeting card.

All three were the 'cheapest' price for that product in the room. There were cards and soaps priced much higher. And all three were, imo, very well done (in some cases, more nicely done than the other higher priced items).

I passed up (as gifts) jewelry, ceramics, wood bowls, home decor items, and knit hats. Those are things I'm not sure I can adequately judge how well someone will like or use them. In both booths, I got a lovely simple but decorated bag and a business card (at my request) that I could include with the gift.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

Eowyn of Penns Woods
Valinor

Nov 12 2014, 6:28am

Post #8 of 11 (159 views)
Shortcut
Magpie's got it pretty well covered already. [In reply to] Can't Post

But I'll add that even if you had learned to knit or crochet well enough to produce decent finished objects, there really is very little profit in doing either craft for money right now. Fiber artists have discussions about this all.the.time. It's the kind of skilled labor that you can't make a living wage doing, because the average person doesn't appreciate it or even want to cover your expenses! And it's why we also have terms like "knit-worthy' and "NOT knit-worthy" for the people in our lives. Someone has a much more colorful way of putting it, but the basic idea is that we do it for love because you couldn't afford us otherwise. I'll be here to cheer you on if you ever decide to pick up knitting needles again, but please don't do it for any reason other than wanting to try it for yourself. You'll feel less stabby that way, trust me! ;)

~~ Confession: I *have* earned some money through knitting (and crochet), but only because I allowed myself to be commissioned by a few trustworthy people who understand the value...and are also people I happen to like well enough to work for. ~~

NABOUF
Not a TORns*b!
Certified Curmudgeon
Knitting Knerd
NARF: NWtS Chapter Member since June 17,2011

Eruonen
Half-elven

Nov 12 2014, 6:02pm

Post #9 of 11 (131 views)
Shortcut
The transcription work may be the easist to get into. [In reply to] Can't Post

http://www.komando.com/...s-a-transcriptionist

Eruwestial37
Rohan

Nov 13 2014, 6:49am

Post #10 of 11 (116 views)
Shortcut
I am so sorry [In reply to] Can't Post

I am disabled with Fibromyalgia (among other things that cropped up later).

Applying for disability will not cost you anything. Lawyers only get paid when you win, and a good, decent lawyer won't take more than is fair. I found one through Legal Aid.

Yes, it takes time to get approved, but don't get discouraged. It took me 2 years of being turned down every six months until they gave me a hearing. Doctors can prove many illnesses. I have a sleep disturbance (PLMD) and it showed up in a sleep study paid for by the VA. I also have IBS and digestive problems. Disability came through before any of these showed up, but it makes me very glad I went for it when I did.

My fatigue and sleep problems keep me from working, but I wish you the very best. You can still work if you get on disability, so it will all help. At the moment I think they restrict you to making $500 a month.

Don't forget HUD assistance, energy assistance and Food Stamps. They might not seem like they help much, but every little bit does.
I use an electric antenna that brings in the broadcast channels in my area. I do have a flat screen tv, which makes it easier.

I wish you all the best. You will get through this. I hope you can make enough of a difference for your husband to slow down a bit. HUGS!

Cirashala
Valinor

Nov 13 2014, 7:10am

Post #11 of 11 (129 views)
Shortcut
thanks for the tips! :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I can try for the disability- it's been nearly five years since I've worked outside the home though (don't know if that will affect it- I am currently a stay at home mother).

As for other sorts of assistance- we're already on WIC (Women Infants and Children food supplement) for my two year old. My five year old aged out of it back in June.

We make too much for food stamps, and our home runs us about a few hundred per month- lower than any rent in the area (we own, and got it through USDA rural development, so there's subsidy on the payment already). Both cars are also owned outright, which keeps us out of debt, however food stamps and other such things evaluate ALL values you have, so the cars would work against us, even if they aren't top of the line (a kia sedona and a hyundai elantra aren't exactly a lexus and rolls royce).

Plus, my husband makes nearly twice as much as the limit for food stamps, so we wouldn't qualify either.

Hmm...haven't heard about energy assistance, but we can take a peek at that. We are already on comfort billing for our nat gas and electricity (spreads out yearly usage into even payments, so we avoid the highs and lows of the season). Again- we may make too much already.

I'm really surprised at just how low of an income is required for many assistance programs. People on welfare honestly make far more than we bring home on an income, but we don't qualify for things like food stamps, et al, because we "make too much". Even if the amount we make means feeding a family of four (with me having a digestive disorder, so I have to eat whole foods not processed or risk ending up in constant stomach attacks) on less than $300 per month. And it took us a while to get to that point. Costco and sales and buying things in bulk to stock up sure helps, as does hitting the farmer's stands at canning time (bulk produce home canned for FAR less than purchasing it at the grocery store- like $1/lb for peaches, or $0.80/lb for pears, etc- one friend even scored 900 lb of apples at $0.12/lb, and extended family has some fruit trees as well which helps, as does my own vegetable garden).

And since I have a baking certificate from community college, I can bake many of our grain foods, which is far cheaper than buying a loaf of bread (in fact, for what I spend on the bread I can actually eat, I can make about eight loaves at home and they honestly taste better than storebought). I never have to buy birthday cakes, I never have to buy desserts, I almost never have to buy bread or tortillas (unless I'm ill and unable to make them, as those are time consuming), cookies, etc. Though of course, we don't eat sweets all the time (else I'd be huge lol Wink). I just need to purchase ingredients, which ends up saving us a LOT of money.

I've also done a few wedding cakes, and an anniversary cake, but since my husband was one of the last people in his (now ours) social circle to get married, and since I'm the eldest in my family circle (and only just now, after us being married six years, have others in the family getting married- and it's a year and a half til the next one and I highly doubt my other sister will ever get hitched) it's not like there are a ton of cake orders out there. Though I have debated going around my neighborhood giving out free cookie samples then maybe doing a stand afterward....but weather's getting awfully cold for that! And plus, that would have to be under the table as home kitchens don't meet state food sanitation requirements (lack of a sink specifically for sanitizing being the main issue, as well as lack of floor drain....well, you get it- it ain't a commercial kitchen for sure, and it would be incredibly expensive to remodel it).

Thanks for the reassurance as far as the disability goes- we will talk some more about it, and see if it's worth pursuing. I have never needed legal aid for anything before, so I'm not sure how to proceed there, and the stress of going through this process is daunting for me (I'm sure you already know this, but IBS can be (and is with me) triggered by stress as well). I don't want to spend two years in the bathroom in pain that, for me, is equal to early labor in intensity (and unlike labor, doesn't go on two off two but is about an hour of constant pain). But we'll see if there are options available to us.

(This post was edited by entmaiden on Nov 13 2014, 3:28pm)

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.