Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: The Pollantir:
Do you listen to the BOFA OST samples?
Poll: Do you listen to the BOFA OST samples?
Yes. Just once or twice.
Yes. The replay button's been worn out for days!
No, but I will after I've watched movie to not spoil/sully my first viewing experience.
Not right now but I'm thinking about it.
No, I am not interested in Howard Shore's music or film music in general.
View Results (39 votes)

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 9 2014, 10:52pm

Post #1 of 15 (1582 views)
Shortcut
Do you listen to the BOFA OST samples? Can't Post

Option #1 of course Smile

(This post was edited by Ataahua on Nov 10 2014, 12:26am)

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 9 2014, 11:02pm

Post #2 of 15 (1443 views)
Shortcut
how do I vote if I listened once? // [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 9 2014, 11:11pm

Post #3 of 15 (1440 views)
Shortcut
Good question! [In reply to] Can't Post

Did you listen to the 90 sec or 30 sec samples?

Either way, I often find that I have to listen to a track at least 3-4 times before appreciating it (and the full track would help). For instance, on my first listening of The Last Goodbye, I felt it was "meh" at best. Now I'm absolutely loving this song despite having heard less than 50% of it.

(This post was edited by macfalk on Nov 9 2014, 11:12pm)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 9 2014, 11:17pm

Post #4 of 15 (1434 views)
Shortcut
Would you like me to add that option to the poll? / [In reply to] Can't Post

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 9 2014, 11:20pm

Post #5 of 15 (1434 views)
Shortcut
That would be lovely // [In reply to] Can't Post

Kim
Valinor

Nov 10 2014, 12:32am

Post #6 of 15 (1435 views)
Shortcut
Nope [In reply to] Can't Post

I will wait until after the movie comes out. I forgot until the posts started showing up in the last few days that the track titles could give away the structure of the movie, and I don't want to know too many details prior to seeing the movie. And I'd rather experience the music in context first.

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 10 2014, 12:33am

Post #7 of 15 (1424 views)
Shortcut
Done. :) / [In reply to] Can't Post

Elizabeth
Half-elven

Nov 10 2014, 1:00am

Post #8 of 15 (1446 views)
Shortcut
None of the above. [In reply to] Can't Post

IMO the Hobbit scores have been way inferior to the LotR scores. I got the AUJ recording, listened to it one, and put it aside hoping it would resonate better after I saw the movie. It didn't. DoS contributed nothing memorable. I suppose of BotFA turns out to be exceptional I might get it.

Arannir
Valinor

Nov 10 2014, 8:37am

Post #9 of 15 (1407 views)
Shortcut
I replay [In reply to] Can't Post

"The Last Goodbye", "The Power of the Three", "Battle for the Mountain", "Shores of the Long Lake" and "Ironfoot" all the time, especially when I go running.

I really hope this OST will be grander than AUJ and DoS... they had their moments... but imho in a totally different league than the masterpieces that are the LotR scores.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 10 2014, 9:50am

Post #10 of 15 (1425 views)
Shortcut
30 sec samples twice, 90 sec samples once [In reply to] Can't Post

I managed to hold myself back last year, but not this time. I've become weak. FrownLaugh

macfalk
Valinor

Nov 10 2014, 10:33am

Post #11 of 15 (1415 views)
Shortcut
That is unfortunate [In reply to] Can't Post

I don't think Howard Shore score's has declined in quality at all, I do agree that The Hobbit scores are not as iconic as LOTR, but there were so many new fantastic themes introduced in DOS, such as Smaug's theme, Lake-town theme and the Woodland Realm. And BOFA seems to continue that trend with the epic Ironfoot melody in particular. BOFA's score so far is excellent.

joec_34
Rivendell

Nov 10 2014, 3:14pm

Post #12 of 15 (1388 views)
Shortcut
Not interested in listening to it without the images that should accompany... [In reply to] Can't Post

It's not that I am not interested in Howard Shore's music, or film music in general. I would just prefer to watch in context of the movie; then, I'll be very interested in the music.

Eruvandi
Tol Eressea

Nov 10 2014, 5:24pm

Post #13 of 15 (1385 views)
Shortcut
Not now, but I'm thinking about it [In reply to] Can't Post

I'm not listening to the samples because I'm trying not to look at the song titles because I don't want as many spoilers this year as last year. Specifically, I don't want to know the exact order of movie events because my (sometimes far too quick) deducting reasoning will work against me, and I'll end up figuring out major plot points by putting together the little spoilery tidbits that slip through the cracks of my no-spoiler defenses.Unimpressed

I will say that it's hard not to look. Really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really hard.Frown So hard, in fact, that I slipped a little yesterday and let myself listen to the sample of Billly Boyd's The Last Goodbye. I just scrolled really fast through the track listings so I couldn't read the other track titles.

Btw, I don't know why some people think The Last Goodbye is a rip off of Into the West. IMHO, although it did have a similar emotional feel to it, it's has a much more folksy sound than Into the West, and it sounds like it's sung from Bilbo's perspective, which is something I liked a lot.Smile

Foedhrass
The Shire

Nov 18 2014, 12:35am

Post #14 of 15 (1364 views)
Shortcut

Nope. I want to hear the music for the first time when I sit in the cinema and watch the movie.

malickfan
Gondor

Nov 22 2014, 7:14pm

Post #15 of 15 (1408 views)
Shortcut

Not really a music person, Howard Shore's scores for TH haven't appealed to me as much as his work on LOTR, and I'd rather be surprised in the cinema then go in with too much prior knowledge.

Hopefully he goes out on a high!

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.