Our Sponsor Sideshow Send us News
Lord of the Rings Tolkien
Search Tolkien
Lord of The RingsTheOneRing.net - Forged By And For Fans Of JRR Tolkien
Lord of The Rings Serving Middle-Earth Since The First Age

Lord of the Rings Movie News - J.R.R. Tolkien

Main Index   Search Posts   Who's Online   Log in
The One Ring Forums: Off Topic: Off Topic:
Greetings, everyone! It's time for Fiesta Friday!
First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2014, 5:11pm

Post #1 of 76 (399 views)
Shortcut
Greetings, everyone! It's time for Fiesta Friday! Can't Post

Hey there, TORn friends. It's been an exciting 24 hours with the release of the new BoFTA trailer, with hundreds of new posts on the Hobbit board. As the dust settles, we all made it to another Friday! Woohooo!

Let us know what you accomplished this week, and/or what plans you have for the weekend! B.G. and I are going to relax and possibly try to catch Interstellar and see the new trailer on the big screen.

*puts quarters on the juke box* play us your favorite Friday tune and have a wonderful weekend!

SmileCoolHeart

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"Life can't be all work and no TORn" -- jflower

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

(This post was edited by Altaira on Nov 7 2014, 5:24pm)

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 7 2014, 5:35pm

Post #2 of 76 (204 views)
Shortcut
Heya, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Another busy week has gone by. My plans for the weekend include working on a couple of school projects as well as celebrating Father's Day on Sunday. Should be nice. Smile

Have a great weekend, everyone! Smile

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2014, 5:40pm

Post #3 of 76 (198 views)
Shortcut
Hey, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

Yeah, that trailer was pretty amazing.

As for my weekend/following week, I'm planning to hang out with some friends, try and go watch Big Hero 6 (...I do also want to see Interstellar, but that will probably have to wait a bit), enjoy the Doctor Who season finale, and (hopefully) finally finish The Wheel Of Time novel series (I started the series in February, and I'm only just getting close to the end of the last book now, LOL. It's an amazing series, though, so it's totally been worth it!).

I'll have a Fall Usual, please; thanks, and I hope you have a great weekend! :)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 7 2014, 5:40pm

Post #4 of 76 (205 views)
Shortcut
seriously? 22 minutes with no one showing up to FF? [In reply to] Can't Post

Well, pass me that dish of leftover Halloween candy to pick through while the cooks putting together my cold roast beef sandwich. Ginger ale to drink, please.

It is well and truly November here. There is still some bird movement but most of my sightings are of large raptors, crows, and house sparrows. If I got it up to go down to the river bed I'm sure I'd see some waterfowl but I've not gone out on any expeditions.

I actually worked three days this week which is a good thing but we're in a transition of managerial duties and there's been some fudging of the protocol (which makes my job harder or trickier). I'm glad the week is over.

My totally unwanted plans for the weekend is to try to sort out health insurance since our plan from last year shot up like 60% in premiums. And to see what we can save on other insurance coverages. I actually have mild anxiety attacks for some of this financial stuff after the many bouts of money issues we've had. So I really have to put on my big girl pants to make myself do it.

Well, I see my sandwich has arrived so I'll sign off and eat.

cheers, Altaira.

LOTR soundtrack website ~ magpie avatar gallery
TORn History Mathom-house ~ Torn Image Posting Guide

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 7 2014, 5:40pm)

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2014, 5:41pm

Post #5 of 76 (192 views)
Shortcut
Hi back, BlackFox! [In reply to] Can't Post

I hope your projects, and your celebration, go well! Have a good one! Smile

Koru: Maori symbol representing a fern frond as it opens. The koru reaches towards the light, striving for perfection, encouraging new, positive beginnings.

"I take a moment to fervently hope that the camaradarie and just plain old fun I found at TORn will never end" -- LOTR_nutcase

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2014, 5:43pm

Post #6 of 76 (190 views)
Shortcut
*sets a hot chocolate and miruvor on the bar* [In reply to] Can't Post

Oooooh! Lots of watching pleasure this weekend! Have fun!

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 7 2014, 5:44pm

Post #7 of 76 (208 views)
Shortcut
Oh, and music... [In reply to] Can't Post

The newly immortalized Darkstone's got us covered. Tongue

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2014, 5:44pm

Post #8 of 76 (196 views)
Shortcut
I got up at 6.30 specially for fiesta! [In reply to] Can't Post

Not really, but here I am. Cool
I've had a big week at work, which culminated in compulsory schmoozing at a charity golf tournament dinner and auction last night. I quite enjoyed waving my little flag around in my role as one of the auctioneer's spotters. We raised close to $30,000 as far as I know and my school will receive a third of that, which means we will be able to take our children swimming at last.
I intend to spend most of my weekend in the garden, which I am really looking forward to, and I will attempt to stay away from the schoolwork.
Have a great weekend everyone.

BlackFox
Half-elven

Nov 7 2014, 5:45pm

Post #9 of 76 (189 views)
Shortcut
Thanks, Altaira! [In reply to] Can't Post

You too. Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2014, 5:51pm

Post #10 of 76 (190 views)
Shortcut
...and other recent ones have caught fire! [In reply to] Can't Post

Fiesta ebbs and flows with peoples' schedules. It's actually a good thing that it's a bit slow today, as I forgot to get a sub and I'm horrendously busy at work.

Good luck with the financial stuff! Learning all I can about finances, tracking our household budget, savings, etc. is to the point of being a hobby with me, but I also shudder at the complexity of medical bills and insurance. So, I'll be sending supportive thoughts your way!

*Hugs* and have a great weekend otherwise! Smile

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2014, 5:53pm

Post #11 of 76 (184 views)
Shortcut
Congrats on the successful fundraiser, Starling! [In reply to] Can't Post

A goodly amount, and fun too; can't beat that combination!

Where do you take the kids swimming?

Have a great weekend in the garden. Smile

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 7 2014, 5:54pm

Post #12 of 76 (187 views)
Shortcut
I think hunting season here starts today (or at midnight tonight?) [In reply to] Can't Post

not that I seriously thinking the Minnesota hunting season is keeping people from TORn's FF. lol.

(This post was edited by Magpie on Nov 7 2014, 6:01pm)

Darkstone
Immortal

Nov 7 2014, 5:57pm

Post #13 of 76 (209 views)
Shortcut
Coffee, strong. [In reply to] Can't Post

No cream or sugar.

I hate Daylight Savings Time.

Finally got the new exterior doors set. Still painting the cabinets. Wifey's happy since without a functioning kitchen we've dined out every night this week.

And now as part of a continuing series:

It came to pass that when Aragorn was nine and forty years of age he returned from perils on the dark confines of Mordor, where Sauron now dwelt again and was busy with evil. He was weary and he wished to go back to Rivendell and rest there for a while ere he journeyed into the far countries; and on his way he came to the borders of Lórien and was admitted to the hidden land by the Lady Galadriel:

Deep in the forest a lonely ranger,
(A Elbereth Gilthoniel!)
Wand’ring (not lost) and fearless of danger,
(Silivren penna míriel.)
There in a glade saw a dancing princess.
(O menel aglar elenath!)
A vision so lovely it took his senses.
(Na-chaered palan-díriel.)

Down in the valley a grumpy Elf-lord,
(O galadhremmin ennorath,)
Told him to win her first fix an old sword.
(Fanuilos, le linnathon)
Next become High King and find the White Tree,
(Nef near, sí nef aearon!)
Then they could marry and raise a family.
(A Elbereth Gilthoniel!)

-Rodgers and Hammerstein, The Lord of the Rings

I met a Balrog on the stair.
He had some wings that weren't there.
They weren't there again today.
I wish he would just fly away.

Eventides
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2014, 5:58pm

Post #14 of 76 (178 views)
Shortcut
Thanks! :) // [In reply to] Can't Post

Eventides' Website: ListenUpReviews.com - Rockin' Choices In Entertainment!
"I stepped out of my body to let God slide in; although I'm still dressed in flesh that I spiritually died in. Alive in Christ a new creation started breathin', Life exists and through this came completion. ... I'm not that person anymore (more!)! That's what blood was shed for! No longer a failure, livin' life more abundantly, therefore you'll never see me livin' less than victory."
John Reuben.

"Desperation, needing You; every last breath I scream for You. Shatter me into a million pieces, make me new. ... Break me, mold me, make me what You want me to be; I am Yours, for You to use, so take and replace me with You."
Family Force 5.

"Under a light in Bethlehem, I was sifting through the sand; the saline burned my eyes, I was looking for Your hand. I gave up on myself, and left my pride disarmed; I cried out 'I'm alone!' and found myself in Your arms. 'Rest in Me, oh, My love; I have loved you before the world began. Rest in Me, oh, My love; you'll never wander too far to reach My hand.'"
Showbread.

Alassëa Eruvande
Valinor

Nov 7 2014, 5:59pm

Post #15 of 76 (198 views)
Shortcut
It's finally looking like fall weather in Central Texas. [In reply to] Can't Post

We had a bit of a cold front on Wednesday that brought much needed rain. Now we've got blue skies and crisp air. And the best part: No Humidity!

We've almost got our Halloween candy eaten, including the extra bag Mr. Eruvande showed up with the other day.
The Little Goblin's Halloween costume of Jayne Cobb from Firefly was a hit with the one person who actually knew who he was supposed to be. It made The Little Goblin's night when a man called out to him, "Is that the man they call Jayne?" Laugh It helped that the other man was dressed as Jayne, too!

Little Eruvande dressed as Maverick from Top Gun. I think he mostly wanted to wear his mirrored aviator sunglasses! Laugh

Date night tonight includes a French cooking lesson with steak au poivre. Hopefully we won't burn our dinner!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

I am SMAUG! I kill when I wish! I am strong, strong, STRONG!
My armor is like tenfold shields! My teeth like swords! My claws, spears!
The shock of my tail, a thunderbolt! My wings, a hurricane! And my breath, death!

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2014, 6:02pm

Post #16 of 76 (188 views)
Shortcut
A hot chocolate with a shot of Bailey's, my good barkeep. :) [In reply to] Can't Post

I like it when the States 'falls back' from Daylight Saving - it gives me a chance to get to the open bar at Fiesta Friday. :)

I've been home three days now from my holiday to Seattle and Chicago. It was wonderful to catch up with fellow TORNadoes and to see these two really beautiful cities. And, it appears I have an effect on the weather: the day I left Seattle the city had a torrential downpour; in Chicago a day that started with snowflakes ended with hail, gale-force winds and a pounding Lake Michigan; and a sunny day when I returned to New Plymouth turned into an impressive storm where there was a massive dumping of hail in the central city and so much thunder than one clap rolled into the next one. As superpowers go, that's not a bad one.

Also, I flew back to New Zealand on Air New Zealand's Smaug plane. :)

A couple of things I learned in the States:
* When catching a taxi, remember that the guy sitting in the left-front seat is the driver, not a passenger, and the taxi is indeed available for use.
* The Kiwi accent will either delight or confuse. (At one point, entmaiden had to step in to translate when I hopelessly stumped a Chicago native.)
* When there are two connecting trains at San Francisco Airport, just accept that you will inevitably jump into the wrong one.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Jazmine
Tol Eressea

Nov 7 2014, 6:02pm

Post #17 of 76 (186 views)
Shortcut
This Friday has taken far too long coming. [In reply to] Can't Post

Awful week at work. I will be spending the next two days hoping Monday doesn't make an appearance...

We are finally in a position to start thinking about renovating the house so I've had a fun few visits to kitchen showrooms. Overwhelmed by choice but starting to get an idea of what we want, exciting!

Mostly dog related activities this weekend, they do take up most of my free time.

Happy weekend all!

Magpie
Immortal

Nov 7 2014, 6:06pm

Post #18 of 76 (183 views)
Shortcut
what fun with the costume [In reply to] Can't Post

For some personalities, having one other 'in the know' geek yell, "Is that the man they call Jayne" is worth a dozen "Ooh... Iron Man!" lol. (says she who loves being on the fringe)

My husband answered the door for three cool costumes I didn't get to see:
Draco Malfoy (who apparently was spot on)
Amelia Earhart
Leonardo DaVinci

I'm having a hard time forgiving his not calling me to the door to see them.

When I opened the door to a Mario (Mario brothers) I did sing out the Mario Brothers theme opening notes.

I'm not sure the little one noticed. :-)

Ataahua
Forum Admin / Moderator

Nov 7 2014, 6:08pm

Post #19 of 76 (177 views)
Shortcut
I did some weeding yesterday. [In reply to] Can't Post

The weeds have taken off in the spring warmth, and even the silver beet had shot up to more than five feet! I did half the job yesterday and I'll do the rest today.

Celebrimbor: "Pretty rings..."
Dwarves: "Pretty rings..."
Men: "Pretty rings..."
Sauron: "Mine's better."

"Ah, how ironic, the addictive qualities of Sauron’s master weapon led to its own destruction. Which just goes to show, kids - if you want two small and noble souls to succeed on a mission of dire importance... send an evil-minded beggar with them too." - Gandalf's Diaries, final par, by Ufthak.

Ataahua's stories

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2014, 6:10pm

Post #20 of 76 (184 views)
Shortcut
Haha, Darkstone! [In reply to] Can't Post

I dread the Spring time change but I always do well in the Fall. It has nothing to do with light vs. dark, it's something with my biological clock that makes me take days to get used to the Spring change. Go figure. Crazy

It sounds like much progress is being made on the house! I hope you've been treating yourself to a nice scotch at those dinners. Smile

Have a good one!

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2014, 6:11pm

Post #21 of 76 (173 views)
Shortcut
Did your garden get the bash? [In reply to] Can't Post

I wondered if the hailstorm damaged your garden. I saw those clips of the rivers of hail, it looked insane!

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2014, 6:13pm

Post #22 of 76 (173 views)
Shortcut
Ooooh, a cooking date night! [In reply to] Can't Post

That sounds right up B.G. and my's alley, for sure. Sounds like fun! Is it your first lesson?

Your trick-or-treaters look/sound adorable. We really enjoyed all the kids that came by (all 55 of them, which is short of our all-time record of 81). We had lots of Hulks, Batmans and princesses.

Have a great weekend, Alassea! Smile

Starling
Half-elven

Nov 7 2014, 6:15pm

Post #23 of 76 (171 views)
Shortcut
We have a great public pool not far from school [In reply to] Can't Post

We never have enough staffing or money to have a proper swimming programme, as the children all need 1-1 in the pool and we need extras to help with changing and getting in and out of the pool, plus the wheelchair taxi transport is expensive. We will be able to organise the kind of programme we want without scrabbling for dollars now. That was worth mincing around in heels for!

Like most schools in NZ, we used to have a school pool. When the Ministry refused to pay for the fixing of ours, the new staffroom was built on it. I always think they didn't quite fill in the hole properly, because our staffroom really gets moving in earthquakes.

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2014, 6:17pm

Post #24 of 76 (176 views)
Shortcut
Lol, Ataahua! [In reply to] Can't Post

I assume you had a long enough connection to still make the Smaug plane in plenty of time. We had the honor of flying on it when we came to NZ for Brett's dad's wedding this Spring. Fun!

So glad you had a good time in the States and good visits with everyone. I still have to translate a few things B.G. says for some people. Laugh

On your next visit, I hope you come to Denver! HeartSmile

Altaira
Superuser

Nov 7 2014, 6:19pm

Post #25 of 76 (173 views)
Shortcut
Hi there, Jazmine! [In reply to] Can't Post

Sorry to hear that work is such a downer. Frown It can't stay that way forever, so just try to keep a good attitude and get through it.

Enjoy your doggy weekend!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 Next page Last page  View All

Search for (options) Powered by Gossamer Forum v.1.2.3

home | advertising | contact us | back to top | search news | join list | Content Rating

This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Lord of the Rings, and is in no way affiliated with Tolkien Enterprises or the Tolkien Estate. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 1999-2012 TheOneRing.net. Binary hosting provided by Nexcess.net

Do not follow this link, or your host will be blocked from this site. This is a spider trap.